PDA

View Full Version : Upcoming football season

msstate7
02-11-2014, 07:48 PM
We've got a heisman candidate, a very favorable schedule, perhaps our most talented player (jones) ever, and our recruiting class is currently 5th in the country. Will this be our best season ever?

TheRef
02-11-2014, 08:03 PM
http://www.maniacworld.com/sheep-with-60-pounds-of-wool.jpg

Coach34
02-11-2014, 08:23 PM
We've got a heisman candidate, a very favorable schedule, perhaps our most talented player (jones) ever, and our recruiting class is currently 5th in the country. Will this be our best season ever?

Hard to top the 10-0-1 season of 1940- when we should have been the National Champion, but in my lifetime it's:

1980- an inexplicable loss to USM dropped us to 4-2, then we ran the gauntlet beating Miami, Auburn, Alabama, LSU, and Ole Miss in a row. Finished 9-3 with a Sun Bowl loss. Had this famous catch and run not happened late in the game- we would have been in the Sugar Bowl that season:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tXTU4kUnZzs

1998- thanks to a weak SEC West, we neded up in the SEC Title game at 8-3 (6-2). One of the greatest days of my life was watching us run out of that tunnel that night. Tough last half of the 4th Q to watch as it slipped away.

1999- we started 8-0 thanks to a great defense. We just couldnt get it done vs Bama and then there was no excuse to lose to UPig on that cold shitty night in FayetteNam or Little Rock. 10-2 with a win in the Peach

If 2014 is better than those 3, I'll be a happy SOB

blacklistedbully
02-11-2014, 10:01 PM
National perception from most on Rivals is that we may not qualify for a bowl.

blacklistedbully
02-11-2014, 10:04 PM
Hard to top the 10-0-1 season of 1940- when we should have been the National Champion, but in my lifetime it's:

1980- an inexplicable loss to USM dropped us to 4-2, then we ran the gauntlet beating Miami, Auburn, Alabama, LSU, and Ole Miss in a row. Finished 9-3 with a Sun Bowl loss. Had this famous catch and run not happened late in the game- we would have been in the Sugar Bowl that season:

1998- thanks to a weak SEC West, we neded up in the SEC Title game at 8-3 (6-2). One of the greatest days of my life was watching us run out of that tunnel that night. Tough last half of the 4th Q to watch as it slipped away.

1999- we started 8-0 thanks to a great defense. We just couldnt get it done vs Bama and then there was no excuse to lose to UPig on that cold shitty night in FayetteNam or Little Rock. 10-2 with a win in the Peach

And in 1980 turnovers killed us in that Sun Bowl. We gifted that one to Nebraska. The beginning of the game looked like MSU might dominate, as I recall.

FlabLoser
02-11-2014, 10:04 PM

National perception consistently underrates us.

msstate7
02-11-2014, 10:05 PM

Good. I love it when we don't get respect. Hope we get picked to lose every game.

blacklistedbully
02-11-2014, 10:07 PM
National perception consistently underrates us.

It blows my mind how in seemingly every thread almost everybody puts Ole Miss ahead of us, and comfortably. We beat them 4 of the last 5, yet those clowns for some insane reason keep thinking they are the ones who could contend year after year, while we're gonna scrape the bottom.

There was one FSU fan who actually did make an intelligent post, stating that Ole Miss hadn't done a damn thing since 1963, and we'd at least won a Division title. But just about everyoen else pegs us at the bottom with Arky.

state66
02-11-2014, 11:33 PM
It blows my mind how in seemingly every thread almost everybody puts Ole Miss ahead of us, and comfortably. We beat them 4 of the last 5, yet those clowns for some insane reason keep thinking they are the ones who could contend year after year, while we're gonna scrape the bottom.

There was one FSU fan who actually did make an intelligent post, stating that Ole Miss hadn't done a damn thing since 1963, and we'd at least won a Division title. But just about everyoen else pegs us at the bottom with Arky.

They just dont care when they play us or that there excuse

Lloyd Christmas
02-11-2014, 11:43 PM

Where is this rivals article?

CJDAWG85
02-12-2014, 12:07 AM
247 has us 11th currently. How'd we drop 4 spots?

hacker
02-12-2014, 12:12 AM

Chris Stamps has no rating yet, so he's added 0 points while increasing our class size by 1.

CJDAWG85
02-12-2014, 12:18 AM
Oh ok... He's got some pretty nice potential if I'm not mistaken.

Bothrops
02-12-2014, 12:18 AM

Everyone is caught up in the recruiting ranks and the program names that they know. I would eventually become disinterested in following cfb if that were the case with me. Our name is a virtual unknown in the college football world and the people that know who we are seem to hate us anyway.

defiantdog
02-12-2014, 12:19 AM
Chris Stamps has no rating yet, so he's added 0 points while increasing our class size by 1.

Chris Stamps is rated a 3* on scout and a 88 3* on 247.... I see his stock increasing as the season progresses. Watch for a future bear attack come next December.

dawgoneyall
02-12-2014, 12:40 AM
The 98 game was one of the worst called game in MSU history....we were beat before it started.

TexasDawg
02-12-2014, 01:17 AM

You're looking at composite versus 247 ratings

Gen. Grant
02-12-2014, 01:27 AM
"National perception", I don't even know why we would ever listen to that shit. That is for teams like Bama. Lets just do our own thing and surprise the world. #hailstate

LC Dawg
02-12-2014, 10:21 AM
I can't really speak much to the '40 season but until we go back to the championship game I think the '98 team has to always be included in talk of the best season ever. Even though the West was weak it was great sitting in the Georgia Dome and being considered with the "elite" of the SEC that day. Hell, we almost won the game, over the eventual national champions, but it went south quickly and then their band played Rocky Top about 75 times in a span of 10 minutes. Hopefully this year we'll just win the whole thing and the discussion of best season ever will get very easy.

dawg27
02-12-2014, 11:17 AM
If we stay injury free,i think we got a shot at winning 10 games. Our offense in gonna be a fun offense to watch they gonna score some points. Our defense i think is gonna be nasty good. Alabama and lsu the two losses,and i just dont know about aub but i am counting them as a win if we play like we can play should have beat them last year,am i way off on this?

hacker
02-12-2014, 11:32 AM
You're looking at composite versus 247 ratings

Nah. We're back at #5 in composite since Chris Stamps got his 88 rating.

maroonmania
02-12-2014, 12:19 PM
The 98 game was one of the worst called game in MSU history....we were beat before it started.

We may have had an uphill battle given the SEC wanted TN in the BCS title game but its hard to win a game when your offense doesn't score a single point.

Goat Holder
02-12-2014, 12:41 PM
This just ADDS to the equation that would result in us having a banner year next year. We always play better as the underdog.

esplanade91
Good god this thread made me antsy.

thunderclap

We get to line up and play in 8 months and we're gonna bust some damn heads.

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
02-12-2014, 12:57 PM
Watch for a future bear attack come next December.
It won't matter, he and his family are all dawg. He's in good hands at Warren Central.

DawgHouseUnited
02-12-2014, 01:15 PM
We get to line up and play in 8 months and we're gonna bust some damn heads.

8 months!? That sounds like an eternity!

blacklistedbully
02-12-2014, 01:26 PM
Where is this rivals article?

Not an article, it's posts you find on the MB. Just about every time there is a poll regarding SEC predictions, conference rankings, conference bottom-feeders, etc, fans from damn near every school pick us at the bottom or next to last every year, and tend to pick Ole Miss as a "dark horse" contender for SEC Champs. Despite the fact we have beaten them 4 of the last 5, and have played them pretty much evenly for 40 years, the perception among other fans is that they are considerably better, even these past few years.

Coach34
02-12-2014, 01:29 PM
If we stay injury free,i think we got a shot at winning 10 games. Our offense in gonna be a fun offense to watch they gonna score some points. Our defense i think is gonna be nasty good. Alabama and lsu the two losses,and i just dont know about aub but i am counting them as a win if we play like we can play should have beat them last year,am i way off on this?

We have a team that is good enough to beat Auburn and Texas A&M at home with a full crowd behind us. We have to make it happen

blacklistedbully
02-12-2014, 01:31 PM

With all LSU has lost over the past 2 years, why should we consider this coming year a likely loss? Yes, I get they have owned us for a long time now, but how many times have we had the talent and experience and the QB coming back, combined with them losing a lot of their critical pieces? Never? It's not as if we haven't come up inches short in recent history with not near the apparent advantages we seem to have this year.

Coach34
02-12-2014, 01:42 PM
Last 5 years, the only teams to beat LSU in BR have been Bama in 2012 and Florida in 2009

Monumental task

dawg27
02-12-2014, 03:51 PM
I agree i think this is gonna be the best team we have put on the field since mullen got here. How long has it been that we have started a season with 2 good qbs that is really good? Dak is gonna be great,and williams he can play and only gonna get better. I was at the egg bowl and recorded the game got and watched it,Williams did not play bad at all i know they was at least 4 dropped balls that would have been first downs. Looking good for us this year. go dawgs!

Pollodawg
02-12-2014, 04:16 PM
Last 5 years, the only teams to beat LSU in BR have been Bama in 2012 and Florida in 2009

Monumental task

Was it 2008 or 2009 that UGA hung fifty points on LSU in BR?

ETA: 2008. The only bad loss LSU had in 2009 was OM, and that was all on Leslie.

dawgs
02-12-2014, 04:20 PM
247 composite has us 5th with 1 4* and 7 3*. but 247 by themselves has us 3rd with 5 4* and 3 3*. 247 is far more on the ball with their ratings, so i'd expect those composites to improve a bit as espn/rivals/scout get around to actually evaluating the 2015 recruits after the 2013 season.

Coach34
02-12-2014, 04:20 PM
Was it 2008 or 2009 that UGA hung fifty points on LSU in BR?

2008- the year after their title and they had "Co-DC's"....that shit lasted 1 season

FlabLoser
02-12-2014, 04:25 PM

Monumental task

I like to ignore stats like that. I know LSU has been beatable at home - some, not a lot. They've been beatable when we played them. We just gotta play well and not let a few bonehead plays happen like an unforced fumble by Milton.

Coach34
02-12-2014, 04:40 PM
We've got to play better D in BR- that will be the key

Pollodawg
04-08-2014, 11:50 AM
Bump. Their QB don't scare me at all as I said earlier. Both are dual threat, and Miles sucks at dual threat QBs. Sell out to stop the run, and LUS won't break 120 yards passing on our D. We have to stop the run down there this season.

RougeDawg
04-08-2014, 12:04 PM
Not an article, it's posts you find on the MB. Just about every time there is a poll regarding SEC predictions, conference rankings, conference bottom-feeders, etc, fans from damn near every school pick us at the bottom or next to last every year, and tend to pick Ole Miss as a "dark horse" contender for SEC Champs. Despite the fact we have beaten them 4 of the last 5, and have played them pretty much evenly for 40 years, the perception among other fans is that they are considerably better, even these past few years.

Because you have the national media types stretching and twisting the truth and stats about OM, such as Acshwhipe and Brando. They talk out of their asses almost daily about OM being better than logic and thought would suggest. They talk about OM beating LSU. They fail to mention getting shut down offensively the last two regular season games or losing to a True freshman for 50 minutes in the Egg Bowl. For comparison, This same type of one sided media was very prevelant in our last presidential election.

War Machine Dawg
04-08-2014, 12:16 PM

UT got a gift on the second Peerless Price TD that was caught out of bounds, that's for sure. But we lost for 2 reasons: 1) No JJ and 2) Kendall Roberson injury in the 4th Quarter.

Without JJ that night, we couldn't move the ball worth a damn on offense. We couldn't eat clock and shorten the game, which was the essential part of our offensive plan all year. Chris Rainey was never that good and Dicenzo & Pig were true freshman. Our whole offense revolved around JJ that season. Everything we did was based on the threat of the run. Take out JJ, our offense was awful.

Then Roberson goes out for a few plays in the 4th. UT knew he was out and immediately isolated Price on Adesola Badon, Roberson's backup. Badon gets torched for 2 TDs before we can get Roberson back onto the field (even if the second WAS OOB). Game. Set. Match.

NCDawg
04-08-2014, 12:18 PM

We couldn't get it done in '99 at Alabama because of a phantom holding call on Pig Prather's punt return. I remember the referee smiling after he called it. No where on the replay was there any sign of a hold.

I agree about being proud seeing our team run out of the tunnel at the SEC Championship game. I've been longing to see us there again before we all pass away.

Coach34
04-08-2014, 12:53 PM
Meh- I just remind everyone we have finished ahead of OM in the West 4 straight years. That always surprises people that don't pay close attention. 2014 will just make it 5

Pollodawg
04-08-2014, 01:16 PM
Meh- I just remind everyone we have finished ahead of OM in the West 4 straight years. That always surprises people that don't pay close attention. 2014 will just make it 5

It always makes me laugh when OM fans act like State isn't their real rival. We've kicked that ass enough recently, though, I guess they kinda have a point. They should win more than once every five years if they want this to be a genuine rivalry again.