PDA

View Full Version : Thread on Rivals asking who are "Lil bro" schools. MSU on most posts

blacklistedbully
02-11-2014, 06:56 PM
Personally, I think this yet again demonstrates the shallow thinking of most fans across the country. When I think of defining a school as "big bro, little bro", there are a number of things I consider. The biggest is performance in the "Big 3 sports". Yes, I fully realize football is by far the more pertinent factor, but basketball & baseball contribute. I also think it only makes sense to consider football no longer an advantage for OM since it's been so long since they enjoyed an actual advantage over us in that area.

I also think in terms of school size, institutional academic rankings, average salaries of graduates, etc. Seems to me we lead Ole Miss by a wide margin, not even close. Were it not for the 50's & 60's football run under Vaught, nobody would make the mistake of considering OM "Big bro", imo.

Am I wrong? Who has the stats for number of titles/tournament wins, CWS appearances, NCAA, NIT, etc? Would like to post that in the thread.

starkvegasdawg
02-11-2014, 07:00 PM
I guess it would be a little brother thing to say if I told them to go suck my balls. But they can go suck my balls.

Goat Holder
02-11-2014, 07:07 PM
The whole big bro/lil bro deal is relics of the past. Doesn't apply anymore. Back in the day, when the Texas/Ole Miss/Alabama's had political control, they were able to hold the ag schools down. Well, the ag schools grew while the others got 'selective'. Suddenly, the ag schools were even with big bro and big bro can't do much about it.

Sort of like minorities gaining control of political positions. Had to fight their way out of oppression to take things. That's the way it works. The lil bro schools have been fighting that battle for years. Power shifts and shit. If the big bros ever want to take back control, they're going to have to re-brand themselves. Alabama has done this much better than Texas and Ole Miss.

maroonmania
02-11-2014, 07:13 PM
Its all determined by football recruiting rankings in which they dominate. On field results in all sports are secondary. :rolleyes:

messageboardsuperhero
02-11-2014, 07:15 PM
My question to that opinion is this: If we're supposedly a "little brother," then who is our big brother? Because it sure as hell isn't UM in any way, shape, form, fashion, or based on any tangible criteria.

Could you have said that 40-50 years ago? Possibly. But this isn't 1963 anymore. Just like the term flagship is totally meaningless nowadays.

Coach34
02-11-2014, 07:22 PM
OM has spun the perception so hard that they are still relevant- some people still think they are relevant

FlabLoser
02-11-2014, 07:28 PM
I blame Billy Joel.

LiterallyPolice
02-11-2014, 07:32 PM
The way I feel about is this...

The idea of a "Little Brother" school is completely based on perception. It really has nothing to do with academics or athletic performance. Probably the biggest factor is simply having "State" in a university name.

Also, "Little Brother" just isn't insulting. Little brothers aren't inherently inferior to big brothers. So I guess any sort of inferiority someone is trying to convey with this label is missed on me because I think it's a dumb metaphor.

So I really don't mind anyone calling us Little Brother. I just don't find it insulting at all. I'm fine with being Little Brother if we keep progressing in athletics and academics.

Cowbellringer
02-11-2014, 08:12 PM
Always find it funny when Ole Miss throws "little brother" out there. They sure don't mind claiming Eli.

Saltydog
02-11-2014, 08:17 PM
nt

BeachDawg
02-11-2014, 08:31 PM
"Little brother" is all grown up and punching "Big brother" in the mouth right now.

Pollodawg
02-11-2014, 08:38 PM
It's already been said. The little brother/big brother thing is completely outmoded nowadays.

CadaverDawg
02-11-2014, 08:41 PM
Maybe Ole Miss should ask Texas, Florida, Michigan, etc, how being big brother feels these days. Seems that A&M, FSU, Michigan State, and Mississippi State may not be the school named directly after the State, but they are the only programs producing on the field.

If we're "little brother", then big brother has been passed out drunk on the couch for about two decades while we've been competing in CWS's, Final 4's, and SEC Championship games in all sports.

I'll gladly take being the little bro out accomplishing something, over the big bro that has nothing to show for themselves except being able to say "we're big bro". And??

bully99
02-11-2014, 08:50 PM
I haven't seen the site, but I bet most of those people saying that are ole miss fans, they are notorious for flooding these websites where you vote for something that makes the bears look good.

BossDawg
02-11-2014, 09:06 PM
Someone started a thread on Tigerdroppings not long ago that touched on this. Surprisingly, the majority of posters (other than OM fans of course) were basically laughing at OM fans for thinking they are the "big brother" to MSU. I think in the grand scheme of things people outside of OM circles truly realize that OM isn't worth a bucket of runny skunk shit.