PDA

View Full Version : Basketball roster - going forward

Irondawg
02-11-2014, 06:00 PM
Let's look at the deck Ray is going to have to play with next year and see if we can really expect a big improvement. The big thread on basketball made me want to take a closer look at this.

PG: Ready (So), Bloodman (Sr)

SG: Sword (Jr), Jacoby (So), Dunlap (Fr)

SF: Thomas (Jr), Daniels (Jr), Houston (Fr), Wilson (So)

PF/C: Ware (Jr), Ndoye (Fr), Black (Fr), Johnson (Sr)

Ray has said we may add one more which leads me to believe he's looking for another scorer.

So on paper does that look good enough to make progress? I think maybe some as we'll be deeper but we need lots of improvement from players to realistically think of the NIT with that roster.

DEFENSE: I would expect overall defense to improve. At the very least Ndoye should be able to provide some rim protection and rebounding. Daniels gives us more size at SF and Black is a bigger body to rebound with. So hopefully we can avoid getting slaughtered on the boards like we are on some nights and if Ware gets in some foul trouble at least we have other bigs willing to rebound.

OFFENSE: Here's where I see continued problems unless a few things happen. Thomas needs to be able to hit close to 40% on open 3's. Sword must develop into at least a 30% 3 pt shooter but really get a 15 foot pullup as somewhat reliable shot. Ready needs to find his comfort zone.

Right now I don't see Dunlap as the answer unless he can play some PG. Let's say a team is packing in the zone, so we bench Chicken and put Ready, Dunlap and Thomas on the floor since those are potentially our best shooters. Teams will just immediately go man and use the size advantage on Ready/Dunlap and with Thomas and Dunlap not being high end ball handlers that will potentially cause problems. A lineup with Ready, Dunlap, Sword and I think any gain in offense would be immediately given up on defense. I don't know much about Houston but i think right now he's more a slasher type than shooter.

An overall roster problem is you're looking at 4 guards that are under 6'1 in Ready, Bloodworth, Jacoby, Dunlap. That potentially poses some problems when your SF isn't that big either.

Best potentially offense lineup: Ready, Dunlap, Sword, Daniels, Ware

Best potential defense lineup: Bloodman, Sword, Thomas, Ware, Ndoye

I'm not sure how Ray envisions all of this coming together and there's just almost no video out there I can find on our signees and we still have no idea what we have or don't have with Jacoby or Ndoye. Plus Ready's development has been hampered by a ton of injuries.

smootness
02-11-2014, 06:09 PM
I like what we'll have next year. I think Daniels will give us someone who can score fairly consistently and will stretch the defense out, and Ndoye will give us someone who can keep an inside presence with Ware out and give us more options on defense.

We'll rely on improvements from Sword, Thomas, Ware, and Ready if we want to really improve and become a good SEC team. I don't expect a whole lot from next year's freshmen in terms of real contributions outside of some possible spot shooting from Dunlap.

But again, Daniels and Ndoye should provide a boost in different areas, and I really like the jump we've seen from Ware and Sword. If we see a similar jump from them again, or a jump from Thomas or Ready, then we'll be a tough team. We still won't score at will on people, but our defense should be very, very good.

Brad Stevens
02-11-2014, 06:15 PM
Jacoby is most definitely a point guard, and I believe Daniels will play more of the 4 role with Roq. Jacoby HAS to play out of position this year because we have 3 point guards and one shooting guard. I think it more likely looks like this as a two deep:
1 - Ready (Bloodman/Davis)
2- Sword (Dunlap) - Sword will get at least 30 min a game on most nights, Dunlap comes in for a quick spark
3 - Thomas (Houston)
4 - Johnson (Daniels/Wilson/Staley)
5 - Ware (Ndoye) - Black gets a few minutes here and there

If we stay healthy (which we all know is NOT a given, I like it. An experienced 5 with some experience back up, but at least some quality back up at each position. Something we haven't seen since before Ray got here.

Coach34
02-11-2014, 06:45 PM
I expect to see:

PG- Ready, Bloodman
SG- Sword, Davis
SF- FTF, Houston, Elijah Staley
PF- Daniels, The Roq
C- Ware, N'Doye, maybe Black

I think we RS Dunlap...Sword is going to play 28-30 mins/game...Davis can back him up....Ready and Bloodman will handle PG...nowhere for Dunlap to get mins
Black is iffy...may need him as a big body to play 6-8 mins/game

Irondawg
02-11-2014, 06:46 PM
I really don't think Johnson starts. He's too much of a wildcard to me. If I had to guess we'll start Ndoye if he proves adequate and try to start playing a little more aggressive on the perimeter defense and try to increase tempo so teams can't set up in the zone.

Goat Holder
02-11-2014, 06:48 PM
He needs to get that team to the NIT, then get Malik Newman at the last minute to take us to the title in 2016 BWA HA HA HA

What are the chances Staley ends up being a basketball player full time? I could see him doing that if Fitzgerald beats him out on the gridiron.

Until we get some MEN....all we're going to be is solid, even after we have full depth in all area. 40 minutes of hell doesn't work unless you got a Corliss Williamson and Scotty Thurman.

Irondawg
02-11-2014, 06:48 PM
Agree that one of Dunlap, Davis, Bloodworth does not play much. But I doubt we redshirt Dunlap.

Irondawg
02-11-2014, 06:50 PM
I will be shocked to see staley put on a basketball uniform. Just too tough to do as a qb in my opinion

thf24
02-11-2014, 06:57 PM
Ray has said we may add one more which leads me to believe he's looking for another scorer.

I'd be thrilled if he would go up north and find a skinny 6'3" white boy who can shoot lights out and play serviceable defense. At the risk of sounding like 61, surely there's one of that type to be found out there somewhere.

chef dixon
02-11-2014, 06:58 PM
I think Ray does himself a disservice if he redshirts any of these guys. When you haven't really found anyone to truly step up in 2 seasons now, you need to give all the bodies you have a chance to do it. Plus, I think he'd find it pretty refreshing to have some depth for once.

Coach34
02-11-2014, 07:06 PM
Agree that one of Dunlap, Davis, Bloodworth does not play much. But I doubt we redshirt Dunlap.

Why? What is he going to give us as an undersized TRUE FRESHMAN the others won't? Keep in mind Rayyyvern Johnson shot 30% from 3 as a freshman- and I can't see Dunlap being the shooter Johnson was.

Goat Holder
02-11-2014, 07:08 PM
Riley Benock?

Coach34
02-11-2014, 07:08 PM
I will be shocked to see staley put on a basketball uniform. Just too tough to do as a qb in my opinion

Staley will play basketball- Hell, his own Dad is worried if he redshirts in football- he'll just play basketball full-time. The kid loves basketball and just happens to be a great football talent also

And he won't miss any Spring football because of basketball. Playing Football/Baseball is way harder

msstate7
02-11-2014, 07:19 PM
I'd be thrilled if he would go up north and find a skinny 6'3" white boy who can shoot lights out and play serviceable defense. At the risk of sounding like 61, surely there's one of that type to be found out there somewhere.

Find out who Wichita state, Utah st, butler, etc are recruiting and try to steal their shooting guard

whosyourdawgy
02-11-2014, 07:33 PM
I really am hoping Davis gets the unofficial official transfer. He brings nothing. If rather have a true freshman that can shoot try his hand.

On another note what was the white kid that folks here wanted us to get last year late? How is he playing this season wherever he is?

HailState39110
02-11-2014, 07:43 PM
I've heard good things about Houston. Isn't Carver in Montgomery the same school Sword and Roc Johnson went to? We must have a good pipeline built in to that program of that's the case

Brad Stevens
02-11-2014, 08:09 PM
With all due respect, Coach, Dunlap is a better shooter than Ravern. But it is 6 foot 1 vs 6 foot 7. He is also a much better ball handler than Ravern dreamed of being. Davis may play out of position at the two, but I bet Dunlap gets most of the backup reps (assuming he picks up the offense and defense enough to be a team player).

NewTweederEndzoneDance
02-11-2014, 08:18 PM
Here is a question, though I'm not sure exactly who it is directed at - posters keep saying we must go out and sign a shooter or a scorer, and one of the players everyone is drooling over is Davante Pollard. I get that he was highly touted out of high school and is a great talent. But a lot of those same people are also downplaying Travis Daniels having any impact for us in the next 2 years.

Daniels in JUCO last season: 11.9 points / 7.2 rebounds
Pollard in JUCO this season: 12.2 points/ 5.8 rebounds

So what am I missing? Why is Daniels "only" scoring 11.9 a game a negative while Pollard is drooled over while not doing any better (he's the 5th leading scorer on his own team)?

For the records, I am 1000% on board with us needing to pick up another scorer, and preferably one that can knock down outside shots.

Stats from:

http://emccathletics.com/sports/mbkb/2013-14/teams/eastmississippicommunitycollege?sort=ptspg&tmpl=teaminfo-network-monospace-template
http://insidemsusports.com/2013/12/19/bulldogs-add-2013-signee-daniels/

Brad Stevens
02-11-2014, 08:29 PM
I agree with you. Average fans are star struck. Pollard may be a better player than Daniels, but neither those juco stats nor his freshman season at Bama give me reason to think he is worth giving a scholarship to. I would prefer saving the scholarship for the next year or finding a good pure shooter. With Johnson, Daniels, ware, Ndoye, Wilson/Staley, I think we are okay at the 4/5 spots. But who knows, maybe Pollard will pick up his game as he matures.

msstate7
02-11-2014, 08:32 PM
With college basketball having all the transfers, id save the scholarship and actively recruit a transfer (known commodity)

NewTweederEndzoneDance
02-11-2014, 08:39 PM
With college basketball having all the transfers, id save the scholarship and actively recruit a transfer (known commodity)

I agree. Teams like Iowa State are making their living on transfers.

Coach34
02-11-2014, 08:48 PM
With all due respect, Coach, Dunlap is a better shooter than Ravern. But it is 6 foot 1 vs 6 foot 7. He is also a much better ball handler than Ravern dreamed of being. Davis may play out of position at the two, but I bet Dunlap gets most of the backup reps (assuming he picks up the offense and defense enough to be a team player).

I hope you are right, but Rayyyvern shot 40% from 3 in the SEC as a Sr. That's pretty damn good. I know Dunlap is in no way going to be that type of player as a true Freshman

Coach34
02-11-2014, 08:49 PM
Here is a question, though I'm not sure exactly who it is directed at - posters keep saying we must go out and sign a shooter or a scorer, and one of the players everyone is drooling over is Davante Pollard. I get that he was highly touted out of high school and is a great talent. But a lot of those same people are also downplaying Travis Daniels having any impact for us in the next 2 years.

Daniels in JUCO last season: 11.9 points / 7.2 rebounds
Pollard in JUCO this season: 12.2 points/ 5.8 rebounds

So what am I missing? Why is Daniels "only" scoring 11.9 a game a negative while Pollard is drooled over while not doing any better (he's the 5th leading scorer on his own team)?

For the records, I am 1000% on board with us needing to pick up another scorer, and preferably one that can knock down outside shots.

Stats from:

http://emccathletics.com/sports/mbkb/2013-14/teams/eastmississippicommunitycollege?sort=ptspg&tmpl=teaminfo-network-monospace-template
http://insidemsusports.com/2013/12/19/bulldogs-add-2013-signee-daniels/

because nobody that talks about Pollard had any idea the two were that close- all they knew was that Stands recruited Pollard and he was highly rated- so he must be good

Brad Stevens
02-11-2014, 08:52 PM
Yeah, you're right. We should all be very (pleasantly) surprised if Dunlap shoots that well as a freshman. Ravern's height and elevation on his jump shot is one thing Dunlap will never have. It's so hard to say if Dunlap can shoot that well with taller guys guarding him. I guess I'm saying my money is on Dunlap in a game of horse. I also realize that means nothing in 5-on-5 basketball. I love what the kid has as a defender and shooter - lets just hope he doesn't lose that against bigger guards.

msstate7
02-11-2014, 08:55 PM
Yeah, you're right. We should all be very (pleasantly) surprised if Dunlap shoots that well as a freshman. Ravern's height and elevation on his jump shot is one thing Dunlap will never have. It's so hard to say if Dunlap can shoot that well with taller guys guarding him. I guess I'm saying my money is on Dunlap in a game of horse. I also realize that means nothing in 5-on-5 basketball. I love what the kid has as a defender and shooter - lets just hope he doesn't lose that against bigger guards.

Well if sword can drive and kick out to Dunlap, Dunlap should get plenty of open looks no matter how tall he is

Coach34
02-11-2014, 08:56 PM
and he may be outstanding. I'm just very skeptical at this point, especially as a true freshman when we will finally have a good deal of experience

Coach34
02-11-2014, 08:57 PM
Well if sword can drive and kick out to Dunlap, Dunlap should get plenty of open looks no matter how tall he is

but that's the problem, one of them has to play PG if they are going to be on the court at the same time

Brad Stevens
02-11-2014, 09:00 PM
I agree - and the skepticism is deserved. I think we play our experienced guys most, and bring in Dunlap for maybe 8 minutes a game for a spark 3 here and there. But who knows - let's just hope he makes it to school. Didn't his school district get taken over by the state?

NewTweederEndzoneDance
02-11-2014, 09:02 PM
but that's the problem, one of them has to play PG if they are going to be on the court at the same time

In general, yes that is true. But, LSU does play Stringer and that other little PG at the same time on occassion, so there is a lineup that could have Ready, Dunlap and Sword at the 3. We'd probably need to play some zone on defense though.

whosyourdawgy
02-11-2014, 09:14 PM
I want to know why y'all think that Jacobi is going to make this miraculous turnaround and help next season? What have y'all seen that I haven't? I know Dunlap is in high school, but the kid's youtube show he can shoot the rock and has a really sweet shot. Jacobi hasn't shown he can make anything consistently and his shot is no where near as pretty and fluid. Just curious. I'd about rather have coach's fav Cunningham out there than Davis right now.

Coach34
02-11-2014, 09:17 PM
In general, yes that is true. But, LSU does play Stringer and that other little PG at the same time on occassion, so there is a lineup that could have Ready, Dunlap and Sword at the 3. We'd probably need to play some zone on defense though.

yeah I know but good Lord thats a small ass line-up and one I really wouldnt want to see

Irondawg
02-11-2014, 09:17 PM
Why? What is he going to give us as an undersized TRUE FRESHMAN the others won't? Keep in mind Rayyyvern Johnson shot 30% from 3 as a freshman- and I can't see Dunlap being the shooter Johnson was.

He still could but I think ray will go hot hand sometimes and won't want to limit himself. Plus most basketball players hate redshirting

NewTweederEndzoneDance
02-11-2014, 09:19 PM
I want to know why y'all think that Jacobi is going to make this miraculous turnaround and help next season? What have y'all seen that I haven't? I know Dunlap is in high school, but the kid's youtube show he can shoot the rock and has a really sweet shot. Jacobi hasn't shown he can make anything consistently and his shot is no where near as pretty and fluid. Just curious. I'd about rather have coach's fav Cunningham out there than Davis right now.

Because the guy is just a freshman coming off of a major surgery. He hadn't played in over a year really until recently and he is still getting back into the flow of the game. He may never be more than a backup PG, but he will improve.

Coach34
02-11-2014, 09:21 PM
I want to know why y'all think that Jacobi is going to make this miraculous turnaround and help next season?

Davis is shooting a higher percentage from 3 as a Freshman than Rayyvern did. He is just a Freshman plus he is recovering from an ACL. I think he will get better and be more consistent next year. He will be healed completely and have more experience. In short, I expect a better basketball player

Dawg61
02-11-2014, 09:25 PM
Can we please stop saving the last scholarship till "next year". We need shooters in the worst way. Lets actually use all of our scholarships this next year. Saving it the last two seasons has done nothing but hurt us more. I do like msstate7's idea on the transfer. Maybe we can get a Euro or Canadian that can drain 3s too or what about Ray actually using those Purdue ties and calling up a coach/friend for a gift that we'll return the favor on later. Indiana probably has 3 shooters on their team that won't see more than 5 minutes a game. Can't we get just one or two to transfer to us? Surely Ray made some friends somewhere.

whosyourdawgy
02-11-2014, 09:33 PM
Lord I hope so. I cringe every time he's on the court. To be honest, I cringe a lot during our basketball games. Whenever Craig shoots outside the lane, whenever Fred passes up wide open shots and.....

Intramural All-American
02-11-2014, 09:34 PM

I'm going to have to disagree with you here. Ravern led the nation in 3 pt % during the non-con his junior and senior seasons (maybe not #1 but he was up there.) His problem was I SEC play, we didn't draw anything up for him, and he would just stand in the corner without moving. He was one of the most pure shooters I have ever seen.

Dawg61
02-11-2014, 09:41 PM
It's funny how we start to remember players/people for just their positives. It's human nature I guess. Ravern could shoot but that's ALL he could do and he was a total cancer for an attitude and maybe the worst defender we've ever had excluding the baby giraffe with 4 broken knees John Riek. Dude could stroke the 3 though.

Coach34
02-11-2014, 09:44 PM
I reference Rayyvern because he and 00 are kind of our gold standard for shooting the last 20 years. Rayyvern didnt do alot- but he could shoot the basketball. And as Intramural AA said- we didnt do hardly anything to get shots for him. We should have done so much more to get him open looks. It's sad

NewTweederEndzoneDance
02-11-2014, 10:05 PM
Can we please stop saving the last scholarship till "next year". We need shooters in the worst way. Lets actually use all of our scholarships this next year. Saving it the last two seasons has done nothing but hurt us more. I do like msstate7's idea on the transfer. Maybe we can get a Euro or Canadian that can drain 3s too or what about Ray actually using those Purdue ties and calling up a coach/friend for a gift that we'll return the favor on later. Indiana probably has 3 shooters on their team that won't see more than 5 minutes a game. Can't we get just one or two to transfer to us? Surely Ray made some friends somewhere.

I don't think anyone really disagrees with you that we need to use this open scholly. I don't know that we really want some scrub who can't hack it at Indiana though. They aren't exactly world beaters right now. There are tons of quality transfers though in college basketball. We could sure use some guy who scored 11 a game as a freshman at Indiana State or somewhere who just wants a chance to play on a bigger stage, though.

Dawg61
02-11-2014, 10:27 PM
Here's a crazy idea. Check on Tyler Adams the big brother and bigger too of the DL stud Fletcher Adams. He's 6'9 270 and was originally committed to Duke but switched and signed with Georgetown because of Robert Kirby. We were his #2. He only played a couple games and then hasn't played since because of a heart ailment but he's still listed on the Hoyas roster. He should have atleast 3 years of eligibility remaining I would think and maybe even four with a MR. Dude was a stud. Maybe he's better now and would like to transfer back home while his little bro goes through his senior season of recruiting. Might be able to get both Adams boys this way.

msstate7
02-11-2014, 10:31 PM
Here's a crazy idea. Check on Tyler Adams the big brother and bigger too of the DL stud Fletcher Adams. He's 6'9 270 and was originally committed to Duke but switched and signed with Georgetown because of Robert Kirby. We were his #2. He only played a couple games and then hasn't played since because of a heart ailment but he's still listed on the Hoyas roster. He should have atleast 3 years of eligibility remaining I would think and maybe even four with a MR. Dude was a stud. Maybe he's better now and would like to transfer back home while his little bro goes through his senior season of recruiting. Might be able to get both Adams boys this way.

What an athletic family. Had no idea there was an older brother.

You would think Tyler would be interested in this. I don't think you can recruit player on another team's roster though

Raytoraid83
02-11-2014, 10:34 PM
Coming from assistant coach Daniels is best post player on team, ndyou is better than expected but no program changer. We're gonna miss borchert next year too.

NewTweederEndzoneDance
02-11-2014, 10:39 PM
According to the google machine, it looks like Adams may not even count towards Georgetown's scholarship limit anymore, which suggests that he may be on medical scholarship and his career is over.

msstate7
02-11-2014, 10:41 PM
According to the google machine, it looks like Adams may not even count towards Georgetown's scholarship limit anymore, which suggests that he may be on medical scholarship and his career is over.

Well a Georgetown degree should be a nice backup plan

Raytoraid83
02-11-2014, 10:42 PM

Heart condition.

Irondawg
02-11-2014, 10:48 PM
Coming from assistant coach Daniels is best post player on team, ndyou is better than expected but no program changer. We're gonna miss borchert next year too.

Is the plan to play him as a stretch 4 then? Or put him at 3 and see if he can draw a mismatch in the post against a man defense?

Coach34
02-11-2014, 10:50 PM

We're gonna miss the way Borchert can stretch a D because the ****er can shoot- but that's about it. He's not a good man defender and not a real physical player inside.

We'll be better inside next year. Hell, Ware will keep getting better also. He improved alot from last year to this year. Him having more help will be huge as well.

Dawg61
02-11-2014, 10:54 PM
Can't a phone call or two have this question answered without breaking any rules? Robert Kirby would know. Just sayin it might be something that even Tyler hasn't considered himself. Would be a hell of an "in" with Fletcher if his big bro is playing basketball for MSU. Can't hurt to check is all.

Johnson85
02-12-2014, 08:57 AM
An overall roster problem is you're looking at 4 guards that are under 6'1 in Ready, Bloodworth, Jacoby, Dunlap. That potentially poses some problems when your SF isn't that big either.

You can play small in college. Your guards have to basically all be scorers, and you'll get hammered on nights that shots aren't falling, but Villanova and I think George Mason both made final fours playing small ball. College basketball has mostly gotten worse since then, so I'd think it'd be even easier now.

DawgInMemphis
02-12-2014, 09:32 AM
yeah I know but good Lord thats a small ass line-up and one I really wouldnt want to see

We played with 4 guards not too long ago. Small lineups are effective in certain situations.

Irondawg
02-12-2014, 10:01 AM
Small lineups can be effective but they have to be really athletic and be able to push tempo and when MSU was doing it some I think that was when we had Varnado back there to take care of the paint. I'm not sure our roster really lends itself to going small but you never know.

msstate7
02-12-2014, 10:16 AM
Is black expected to qualify? If so, how much contribution can we expect from him?

chef dixon
02-12-2014, 10:50 AM
I'm really high on Dunlap's shooting ability. I'm gonna go out on a limb and say he helps us significantly as soon as he gets on the squad and people will be pleasantly surprised. I'll be here to take flack if he sucks. Being short hasn't kept Ready or Bloodman from getting chances to shoot the ball, in fact all our guys get open looks, we just don't make them. Dunlap is a little taller than both of them, probably a little more similar in height to Barry Stewart or Dee Bost. Doesn't Stewart have our 3 point record or something close to it?

Dawg61
02-12-2014, 10:52 AM
Is black expected to qualify? If so, how much contribution can we expect from him?

If this was football or baseball we'd get every detail we ever wanted. Basketball? Nobody knows shit. From what I can find Black is 6'9 220 and ain't nothing special. 10 points 8 boards in HS type. Probably a good athlete that can't shoot. Just how Ray likes em. Ndoye and Black sound like similar players.

Irondawg
02-12-2014, 10:54 AM
I haven't seen anything on his status but I think he's expected to qualify. There's not much out there on him but he's averaging 9 points and 12 boards at IMG. He's probably not an instant impact guy but I think he could earn 10 min or so in certain matchups.

Irondawg
02-12-2014, 11:00 AM
The truth is the SEC is so crapy the difference between most teams is ONE player. For example, give us back Hood and how good are we? Not good, but probably NIT good. Take Releford away from Bama, how crappy are they? Take O'Bryant away from LSU how crappy are they? Take Henderson away from OM and they can't even beat us. We simply don't have that one player that can take over a game somehow. We have lots of complimentary pieces, but need a guy who can carry us from time to time.

msstate7
02-12-2014, 11:04 AM
The truth is the SEC is so crapy the difference between most teams is ONE player. For example, give us back Hood and how good are we? Not good, but probably NIT good. Take Releford away from Bama, how crappy are they? Take O'Bryant away from LSU how crappy are they? Take Henderson away from OM and they can't even beat us. We simply don't have that one player that can take over a game somehow. We have lots of complimentary pieces, but need a guy who can carry us from time to time.

I think that one player could be just 2 decent ones: guy to knock down open shots so sword can drive and a junk man (rebounds and blocks)

Johnson85
02-12-2014, 11:36 AM

I'd rather take away Summers. Their best game may be a little bit better with Henderson, but the little I've seen them Summers is the best player on their team.

Dawg61
02-12-2014, 11:59 AM
I'd rather take away Summers. Their best game may be a little bit better with Henderson, but the little I've seen them Summers is the best player on their team.

Summers is their best player and every broadcast the announcers are sure to tell ya.