PDA

View Full Version : Article worth reading on Brian Johnson..

Original48
02-11-2014, 02:11 PM
Staff familiarity should certainly be a plus..in game planning as well as recruiting..

"Meanwhile, Johnson reunites with Bulldogs head coach Dan Mullen, who recruited and coached him as Urban Meyer's offensive coordinator. Further, Johnson also will be familiar with Mississippi State's co-offensive coordinators Billy Gonzales and John Hevesy, who also were on Meyer's staff at Utah."

http://m.espn.go.com/general/blogs/blogpost?blogname=pac10&id=69337

Goat Holder
02-11-2014, 04:14 PM
We've gotten a lot of good coaching talent through re-treads (I'm not exactly calling Johnson a re-tread in the same line as say, Torbush), so I'm OK with it. I don't pretend to know how to coach college football or anything, but it is sort of against the grain that we have our HC calling plays and no real OC. That said, going WITH the grain doesn't always work at MSU. Jackie had his system of completely delegating everything but special teams, so maybe it's best that Mullen delegates everything but offense.

But does Saban do this for defense? No, he has Kirby Smart. Does Mike Leach do this? Yes, he calls the plays. So there's many different paths. Petrino always seems to have figureheads as offensive assistants too.

Dawg61
02-11-2014, 04:20 PM
Lots of coaches call the plays on offense. Malzahn and Kingsbury off the top of my head. What's weird is that Mullen won't admit it.

smootness
02-11-2014, 04:23 PM
Lots of coaches call the plays on offense. Malzahn and Kingsbury off the top of my head. What's weird is that Mullen won't admit it.

Jimbo Fisher does as well.

And Mullen has definitely said publicly that he calls the plays.

Goat Holder
02-11-2014, 04:24 PM
Yeah I was about to say, he admitted it the other day I thought.

Dawg61
02-11-2014, 04:25 PM
Yeah I was about to say, he admitted it the other day I thought.

Good that only took 5 years.**

preachermatt83
02-11-2014, 04:31 PM

he's admitted now.