PDA

View Full Version : My twitter account

MsStateBaseball
02-11-2014, 06:20 AM
I got a message about the account name in violation does this mean the school wants me to change it? They complained? What do I need to do?

bully99
02-11-2014, 06:39 AM
Probably too close to the official school website would be a guess.

The Croom Diaries
02-11-2014, 06:58 AM
Where did the message come from? What is an email or DM?

MsStateBaseball
02-11-2014, 07:37 AM
Email.

The Croom Diaries
02-11-2014, 07:39 AM
I just checked my e-mail and I have the same thing for our @MSU_Baseball account.

It's Kyle Niblett. I swear it is. He has been black balling me and hates people like me and you. He wants to control everything that has to do with Mississippi State baseball (except Gene, he loves Gene). I know everyone on this board probably thinks he's great but he has a serious ego and is completely unprofessional.

In the e-mail it says:
*Instructions*: Please edit each of the following parts of your profile within 48 hours of receiving this notice:

Account name
Bio
Background/Avatar

So basically he wants to terminate you. He does not like the fact that you have so many followers and I've seen where he's gotten pissed when people think you're the real account. Now he wants to stop my little ole account out too. Forget promoting MSU baseball, he just wants to win.

Of course, they'll do this but do have the sack to take down a newspaper reporter.

The Croom Diaries
02-11-2014, 07:45 AM
Here are the twitter rules for "fan accounts":

Avatar: The avatar should not be the exact trademark or logo of the account subject.

Account Name: The name should not be the exact name of the account subject without some other distinguishing word, such as "not," "fake," or "fan."

Bio: The bio should include a statement to distinguish it from the account subject, such as "This is a parody," "This is a fan page," "Parody Account," "Fan Account," "Role-playing Account," or "This is not affiliated with…"

The Croom Diaries
02-11-2014, 07:46 AM
Be sure to keep it going, do not let him win.

FlabLoser
02-11-2014, 07:49 AM
MSU is protecting its brand. They have a right, twitter rules or not, to not have people claim brands that are indistinguishable from official MSU property. It is reasonable that @MSU_baseball and @MsStateBaseball can't be used by anybody but MSU.

Furthermore...if they continue to let other people use those, they forefit future rights to other infringements from other people.

The Croom Diaries
02-11-2014, 08:11 AM
MSU is protecting its brand. They have a right, twitter rules or not, to not have people claim brands that are indistinguishable from official MSU property. It is reasonable that @MSU_baseball and @MsStateBaseball can't be used by anybody but MSU.

Furthermore...if they continue to let other people use those, they forefit future rights to other infringements from other people.

The point is that Nibblett does not contact us, he just goes around our back. A guy with 8,000 MSU baseball fans following him isn't just an ordinary fan. He should contact him and ask him to change the profile. But the fact is he is hoping the account won't be changed in time and it will be permanently suspended. That's how this guy works. I've opened up the lines of communication between me and him and said if he needs anything from me just let me know, but he ignores it and then tries to do crap like this. If he wanted it changed I would have gladly changed it - I want what's best for MSU. But he is all about himself, what he can do, and stomping out anything he doesn't like.

FlabLoser
02-11-2014, 08:13 AM
Or maybe there's a legal process that has to be followed.

The Croom Diaries
02-11-2014, 08:20 AM
Or maybe there's a legal process that has to be followed.

So he's going to sue us? How about common human decency and ask politely? Both of our accounts were clearly not official. Mine said M&WN in the title and the description. MsStateBaseball's said "unofficial". There was no confusion. Simply asking to make some changes would have sufficed.

bully99
02-11-2014, 08:26 AM
Is Brackey the mastermind behind all of this.

msstate7
02-11-2014, 08:38 AM
If you just rename account, do followers still remain followers?

Drugdog
02-11-2014, 08:40 AM
Use these famous words: "Contact my attorney ". Don't cave. You have done nothing wrong.

Political Hack
02-11-2014, 08:42 AM
I think you can just stick in "not officially affiliated with Mississippi State University" in your bio and slightly alter your username to make it clear that you are not the school.

they should be nicer about these things considering they're usually dealing with super fans in these instances.

hacker
02-11-2014, 09:05 AM
So he's going to sue us? How about common human decency and ask politely? Both of our accounts were clearly not official. Mine said M&WN in the title and the description. MsStateBaseball's said "unofficial". There was no confusion. Simply asking to make some changes would have sufficed.

But you just said he gets mad when people get confused. Now you're saying there's no confusion.

Just make it really obvious that you're a fan account, and there shouldn't be a problem.

hacker
02-11-2014, 09:05 AM
If you just rename account, do followers still remain followers?

Yes.

The Croom Diaries
02-11-2014, 09:16 AM
Use these famous words: "Contact my attorney ". Don't cave. You have done nothing wrong.

It has nothing to do with legal rights, it's twitter rules. Twitter can suspend you. It's their business you have to abide by their rules. But they don't suspend account unless someone gets bent about it - in this case Kyle Niblett.

The Croom Diaries
02-11-2014, 09:21 AM
But you just said he gets mad when people get confused. Now you're saying there's no confusion.

Just make it really obvious that you're a fan account, and there shouldn't be a problem.

For anyone with half a brain there is no confusion. I've been following @msstatebaseball for a couple years, since he had less than 1,000 followers, I might have seen that twice.

I get what can be done to fix it. The point is Niblett should have asked us to change the profile without complaining to twitter. He has a massive twitter account devoted to MSU baseball and I blog about it. It's obvious we are pretty into it. We aren't doing anything to hurt the program. Niblett is just a douche with no spine. He's always been like that.

smootness
02-11-2014, 09:33 AM
Maybe he could have asked you guys personally, but I honestly don't really see anything wrong with what he did, assuming it was him. Maybe he just wanted to avoid any potential confrontation with you guys and didn't want it to get personal, so he figured the best way was just to have twitter tell you guys it needed to change.

I see the issue with the twitter accounts. I'll be honest, I assumed, until I saw him posting on this board, that when I saw MsStateBaseball re-tweets, it was an official account. I get that his actual page says 'unofficial' but a lot of people either don't actually go to the page or don't see that when they do. I don't see a problem with just changing it to something like MsStateBaseballFans.

Personally, I just wouldn't let it get to you too much. I get more depressed as a fan hearing a bunch of other fans constantly complaining about something within our administration than I do with anything they seem to be doing themselves.

The Croom Diaries
02-11-2014, 10:06 AM
Well then I must make you real depressed. I won't let it go. I can't stand him.

gtowndawg
02-11-2014, 10:12 AM
and other media types have unfettered access to write whatever they want. Yet we wonder how Ole Miss gets better publicity. Good grief.

SignalToNoise
02-11-2014, 10:25 AM
and other media types have unfettered access to write whatever they want. Yet we wonder how Ole Miss gets better publicity. Good grief.

I was thinking the same thing.

We have people internal to MSU going after fan accounts, but it seems like our shithead beat writers and other types are non-stop doing stuff that makes us look bad.

bluelightstar
02-11-2014, 10:44 AM
I have seen these accounts be retweeted or mentioned by national writers (and then someone from State has to refer them to the official account), so add me to the group who says no problem with seeking out a more concrete change.

Honestly, the "Hail State" handles aren't really intuitive so I can see how there'd be confusion. (And I like Kyle.)

Coach34
02-11-2014, 10:55 AM
Is Brackey the mastermind behind all of this.

I'm trying to figure out if you're SECRant Ole Miss or Nafoom?

Coach34
02-11-2014, 10:58 AM
I'm disappointed it wasnt handled directly by Niblett or whomever directly. Not the way you want to treat people who are doing a great job of promoting the program

EAVdog
02-11-2014, 11:02 AM
I can see the Universities point, they may have had a number of similar blogs/etc do deal with. It's their job to control the image of the University. Doesn't make them nice people.

The Croom Diaries
02-11-2014, 11:12 AM
I can see the Universities point, they may have had a number of similar blogs/etc do deal with. It's their job to control the image of the University. Doesn't make them nice people.

There are 3 prominent MSU blogs. 1, 2, 3. That's too much to deal with? And I've been a main part of the two biggest and they make no effort to communicate. Just ignore and hope we go away. These are hardcore MSU fans talking 99% positively about the program but they don't want anything to do with us. No effort whatsoever.

More of my bitching at Niblett here: http://maroonandwhitenation.com/2014/02/11/kyle-nibblet-social-media-superstar/

hacker
02-11-2014, 11:14 AM
For anyone with half a brain there is no confusion. I've been following @msstatebaseball for a couple years, since he had less than 1,000 followers, I might have seen that twice.

I dunno -- for people who aren't fully initiated and aware of all of the MSU media sites I could see how it'd be pretty easy to get confused. You also have to remember that 90% of the population don't have the half brain that you mention.

hacker
02-11-2014, 11:17 AM

I think this is the biggest issue here. I'm not sure how lawyers at MSU work, but if a lawyer noticed these accounts, it's their job to report them. If it's shown that a lawyer didn't pursue infringement in one case, then a very blatant case may be thrown out in the future.

whosyourdawgy
02-11-2014, 11:21 AM
I can understand the want of the University to protect themselves and the image of the school. Neither of these Twitter usernames have anything to differentiate from an official MSU account and have avatars of official look of a MSU account. Are we sure it's Nibbler or just throwing stones because Twitter is cracking down on you 2? Who's to say it isn't Cohen? Stricklin? or just Twtter doing it's job. Bottom line, both accounts are good ones to follow but they both can be seen as official MSU accounts to the folks that know no better. If Croom diaries gets diarrhea of the mouth on a tweet and it gets retweeted by someone and the chain reaction that is Twitter takes off, the University shouldn't have to worry or deal with the calls, scrutiny, or ridicule that follows from a tweet made by a fan not employed by the school. That's just an example croom. Don't go off on me.

Point being, I see why these emails were sent to you 2. Now, maybe it could've been handled more personally but tis what it is

ScottH
02-11-2014, 11:24 AM
Not the way you want to treat people who are doing a great job of promoting the program

100% CORRECT

I would be just common business decency to contact you first.

Obviously he realizes you are doing better job than him.

The Croom Diaries
02-11-2014, 11:28 AM
I can understand the want of the University to protect themselves and the image of the school. Neither of these Twitter usernames have anything to differentiate from an official MSU account and have avatars of official look of a MSU account. Are we sure it's Neblitt or just throwing stones because Twitter is cracking down on you 2? Who's to say it isn't Cohen? Stricklin? or just Twtter doing it's job. Bottom line, both accounts are good ones to follow but they both can be seen as official MSU accounts to the folks that know no better. If Croom diaries gets diarrhea of the mouth on a tweet and it gets retweeted by someone and the chain reaction that is Twitter takes off, the University shouldn't have to worry or deal with the calls, scrutiny, or ridicule that follows from a tweet made by a fan not employed by the school. That's just an example croom. Don't go off on me.

Point being, I see why these emails were sent to you 2. Now, maybe it could've been handled more personally but tis what it is

My account said "MSU Baseball (M&WN)". I really don't understand how that could be mistaken for official. What's more, the avatar is a logo from 30 years ago. I understand if they want us to change it, I'll oblige. It's the complete lack of respect to tattle tale on us instead of politely asking. It's not a new thing with Nibbler for me, it's been going on for months.

whosyourdawgy
02-11-2014, 11:36 AM
And if you have a personal relationship which you probably do with him, then yes, him calling or emailing you would've been the way to approach you first instead of backdooring it. Agreed!

EAVdog
02-11-2014, 01:12 PM
There are 3 prominent MSU blogs. 1, 2, 3. That's too much to deal with? And I've been a main part of the two biggest and they make no effort to communicate. Just ignore and hope we go away. These are hardcore MSU fans talking 99% positively about the program but they don't want anything to do with us. No effort whatsoever.

More of my bitching at Niblett here: http://maroonandwhitenation.com/2014/02/11/kyle-nibblet-social-media-superstar/

Send them an email and ask them what is ok to use. Folks are more interested in the content of the blog than a name. You're building your followers off the brand they control, you have to be deferential. Doesn't mean they should be assholes but that is the way it is.

MsStateBaseball
02-11-2014, 07:20 PM
I have changed mine to @MsStBaseballFan. I don't have time to fight. I have players, parents, recruits following me so I don't have time. I make a positive impact far as I know. The season is here and I have too much to blog about. See my blog for my story, msstatebaseball1.blogspot.com

whosyourdawgy
02-11-2014, 07:41 PM
I think that is a better name anyway. Good deal

ScottH
02-11-2014, 08:10 PM
Good name.

Maybe that'll cool their jets.