PDA

View Full Version : Who's going to be the DH?

Goat Holder
02-10-2014, 04:37 PM
Garner has been striking out, not sure if Humphreys is ready....Collins? Swinarski? Dylan Ingram??

My lineup is:

1 - Vickerson, LF
2 - Detz, 3B
3 - Rea, 1B
4 - Pirtle, 2B
5 - ????
6 - Bradford, CF
7 - Henderson, RF
8 - Walker/Collins, C, but it will be Randolph because he's Cohen's boy
9 - Britton, SS

We need a power guy in that slot, and after the fall, I thought it would be Garner. But Cohen has also raved about Derrick Armstrong's hitting....is he maybe a legit contender there? Seth Heck is also a better hitter than Britton, but Britton has to play due to his defense, it's automatic.

engie
02-10-2014, 04:39 PM
If we're putting our best defensive team on the field, Humphreys needs to be at 3B -- making Detz the DH. Not sure that we'll be seeing that, and I certainly wouldn't expect it early...

Goat Holder
02-10-2014, 04:41 PM
If I was coach I'd entertain that option. But Detz has stepped up lately and pretty much taken that position. From what I hear from a guy who goes to most all scrimmages, Humphreys obviously has higher potential and will make a great play that Detz can't, but then let one go through his legs the next play.

Coach34
02-10-2014, 05:07 PM
Humphries is going to play- and he will play alot early to get him adjusted to college baseball. So I'd say its Detz

bulldogcountry1
02-10-2014, 05:11 PM
Randolph has put up the best numbers in the spring so far, so I imagine he's got the slight edge to start behind the dish in the early going, which probably means half of game 1.

Against righties, I bet Detz stays at 3rd and someone like Cody Brown DHs. There won't be many other LH bats to choose from.

Against lefties, Detz and Humphries will rotate 3rd and DH, and Garner will get some ABs at DH as well.

Homedawg
02-10-2014, 05:13 PM
Randolph has put up the best numbers in the spring so far, so I imagine he's got the slight edge to start behind the dish in the early going, which probably means half of game 1.

Against lefties, I bet Detz stays at 3rd and someone like Cody Brown DHs. There won't be many other LH bats to choose from.

Against righties, Detz and Humphries will rotate 3rd and DH, and Garner will get some ABs at DH as well.

I think u wrote it backwards.

DudyDawg
02-10-2014, 05:30 PM
Here's a Cohen interview with Bob Caskadon today http://hailstatebeat.wordpress.com/2014/02/10/live-updates-from-msu-baseball-preseason-media-day/

DudyDawg
02-10-2014, 05:32 PM
Cohen makes the catcher position battle seem like he is basically going to let the players force his hand on who plays down the stretch.

The Croom Diaries
02-10-2014, 05:43 PM
Britton is a good fielder but if he's starting at SS it's because of his offense. Seth Heck is the best fielder on the team. I wouldn't be surprised if he spells Britt late in games for defense.

bully99
02-10-2014, 05:48 PM
Cohen held a press conference for all the media today. That's where the info comes from.
Still don't understand Swinarski decision to skip senior year of high school. He needs to play.
Cohen said if you combined all four catchers skills you would have a first rounder.
Why is Randolph Cohen's boy.

Todd4State
02-10-2014, 05:53 PM
I think the DH is most likely one of three guys:

Detz or Humphries.

The fourth outfielder amongst Vickerson, Demarcus, CT, and Robson.

Garner.

Goat Holder
02-10-2014, 05:56 PM
Dude....no. Nothing you typed is anything close to accurate.

Todd4State
02-10-2014, 05:57 PM
Cohen held a press conference for all the media today. That's where the info comes from.
Still don't understand Swinarski decision to skip senior year of high school. He needs to play.
Cohen said if you combined all four catchers skills you would have a first rounder.
Why is Randolph Cohen's boy.

I guess Swinarski felt like he would benefit more by playing SEC ball instead of one more year of high school baseball, but unless your name is Bryce Harper, it's probably not a great idea.

Randolph is a good catch and throw guy who handles the pitching staff well. Most baseball managers are OK with that from a catcher. I'm not sure that Randolph is worse than Slauter or Ammirati overall, so if he starts it's not a big deal to me.

DogDaddy
02-10-2014, 05:58 PM
Garner has been striking out, not sure if Humphreys is ready....Collins? Swinarski? Dylan Ingram??

My lineup is:

1 - Vickerson, LF
2 - Detz, 3B
3 - Rea, 1B
4 - Pirtle, 2B
5 - ????
6 - Bradford, CF
7 - Henderson, RF
8 - Walker/Collins, C, but it will be Randolph because he's Cohen's boy
9 - Britton, SS

We need a power guy in that slot, and after the fall, I thought it would be Garner. But Cohen has also raved about Derrick Armstrong's hitting....is he maybe a legit contender there? Seth Heck is also a better hitter than Britton, but Britton has to play due to his defense, it's automatic.

I'd bet both Swinarski and Ingram redshirt.

Todd4State
02-10-2014, 05:59 PM
Dude....no. Nothing you typed is anything close to accurate.

Are you talking to me? We'll find out Friday.

Goat Holder
02-10-2014, 06:03 PM
Swinarski is the starting right fielder for 2015 and 2016. It's almost a guarantee. The perfect blueprint is there. He gets acclimated one year, starts for 2, goes pro. And he'll play summer ball as well.

His decision was not really based on missing a year. It was about getting drafted the quickest way possible while at the same time having some pretty good training added onto that, that we won't have in HS or JUCO. His family said they looked at the stats for HS draftees, and they weren't good. So they decided to go this route rather than JUCO. I'm anxious to see how it works out. Seems like he thought it through pretty well.

Goat Holder
02-10-2014, 06:04 PM
No. Croom Diaries.

The Croom Diaries
02-10-2014, 07:30 PM
No. Croom Diaries.

I'd save this thread and throw it back in your face when you are wrong but you are such a worthless insignificant piece of crap that why waste the time. You are the worst damn poster on this board and there is not a close second. I don't know what you have against me other than you're just jealous of me, but I couldn't care less. I'm done wasting my time on anything that has to do with you.

Goat Holder
02-10-2014, 07:40 PM
Sorry, pal. I just told the truth. I didn't insult you in the least. But the facts are that Seth Heck is the better hitter and Matthew Britton is the better fielder. It's not really up for negotiation. With Britton and Pirtle up the middle, we're going to have one of the best middle infields in the country.

I'd really like to know how you formed your opinion. But I guess I won't find out, because you're done wasting your time on me.

Oh yeah....please, PLEASE save this thread so we can re-examine it in June.

bulldogcountry1
02-10-2014, 08:49 PM
I've heard Cohen say on multiple occasions that Britton could be the best fielder in the SEC.

I hope he proves it.

Will James
02-10-2014, 08:58 PM
Seth Heck is the better hitter and Matthew Britton is the better fielder.

I gathered this from many scrimmages attended in the Fall.

I'd like to see Reid step up and allow Detz to DH.

Cody Walker looked damn good over the Fall.

Armstrong should be our 5th OF.

RAYn_Man
02-11-2014, 04:28 PM
Britton is a good fielder but if he's starting at SS it's because of his offense. Seth Heck is the best fielder on the team. I wouldn't be surprised if he spells Britt late in games for defense.

This...just wrong. Big swing and miss.