PDA

View Full Version : Baseball Crootin Question...

CJDAWG85
02-10-2014, 03:07 PM
Did we go after any of the Dandy Dozen this year? Not complaining or anything... Just saw that we didn't get any.

Coach34
02-10-2014, 03:13 PM
not very hard- was a down year talent-wise in-state

Harrydawg
02-10-2014, 03:14 PM
Does anyone have a link to the DD?

CJDAWG85
02-10-2014, 03:19 PM
not very hard- was a down year talent-wise in-state

I hadn't heard of most of the names. Just curious

messageboardsuperhero
02-10-2014, 03:20 PM
It's probably a combination of a few things:

1. It was a down year talent-wise.
2. We already knew this would be a small class.
3. USM and UM already had connections to the few big in-state prospects.

That said, Mississippi has a HUGE 2015 crop, and we've already cherry picked the majority of them. We're also still in it with the other uncommitted guys.

engie
02-10-2014, 03:26 PM
We only "signed" one guy in the state in this class and I'm not at all sure he's on baseball aid(you never really know on this with Cohen).

It's a strange class. There are 2-3 elite guys who are unlikely to make it to school -- and the next tier was mostly way behind. Think we only had a handful of total offers out there in the state this year, and it was always going to be a really, really small signing class for us.

Check our signees bios on Genespage and compare it to the Dandy Dozen, and I think you'll find that we did OK...

Jacksondevildog
02-10-2014, 03:36 PM
As Todd has mentioned on here previously, if there's any player in the state of Mississippi that we want to sign for baseball, we can get them. The only way that we will not sign that player, is if they grew up a fan of the Rebels. Sure, we lose a few head-to-head battles, but the trend historically leans heavy to us.

Goat Holder
02-10-2014, 03:50 PM
I wondered that at first, but look no further than the class of 2015, where we have basically dominated the state of MS. That pretty much shows you that we didn't recruit many for 2014.

Offshore Dawg
02-10-2014, 04:48 PM
We could only hope our other coaches recruit as well as Cohen.

bully99
02-10-2014, 05:39 PM
And I didn't even start this baseball crootin thread. Pat me on the back.

Todd4State
02-10-2014, 06:26 PM
Ti'Quan Forbes (Ole Miss) and Bobby Bradley (LSU) are the top players in Mississippi. Forbes will probably be a 1st-2nd round pick.

We offered Clay Casey who grew up an Ole Miss fan. He's very raw, but a lot of scouts like his potential.

Kirk McCarty is a good pitcher from Oak Grove who grew up a USM fan. He's a SEC talent and I'm sure we would have taken him.

Taylor Braley is from Oak Grove.

Calder Mikell is a good pitcher from Petal who is going to Ole Miss. The baseball coach there is an Ole Miss guy. He visited us, and I'm pretty sure we offered. Will probably get drafted.

Will Stokes is also going to Ole Miss. If he had waited we might have offered.

Will Golsan is solid but he grew up an Ole Miss fan as well.

Blake Anderson is going to USM- He's a catcher but I think he ends up as a pitcher.

So, most of the people we didn't get were either Ole Miss or USM fans growing up. Baseball players aren't like CJ Johnson.

In summary- there are certainly a few guys I would have taken. But like engie said- in most cases the connection wasn't there. I always want to win Mississippi, but I'm not worried because unlike when Polk was here, it's not a case of us misidentifying players. It's a case of them being Ole Miss or USM fans. Also, as far as Mississippi the best players are the juniors and sophomores. Austin Riley, Luke Alexander, Keegan James, Noah Hughes, and Jake Mangum are all committed and that's going to be half the Dandy Dozen next year no question. There is also another pitcher at DeSoto Central named Dallas Woolfolk that I think we have a very good chance to get. And then among the sophomores, we have Riley Self and Dustin Skelton committed already. Also, unlike when Polk was missing out on players we are at least getting draftable talent in this current class. It's just out of state guys like Jesse McCord, Chase Vallot, Andrew Mahoney, Dale Burdick, and Cole Gordon. Paxton Stover also was named a Louisville Slugger AA along with McCord, Burdick, and Vallot.

Now, I will say this about the Dandy Dozen also- Taylor Stafford who is also in our class and from New Hope probably should have made it. And one thing about baseball is every single year there is some player that no one talks about and then busts out their senior year. If that happens to a HS kid in Mississippi, Cohen is probably going to pick them up just like he did with Hunter Renfroe who also didn't make Dandy Dozen.

Goat Holder
02-10-2014, 06:43 PM
We offered Clay Casey who grew up an Ole Miss fan....Kirk McCarty is a good pitcher from Oak Grove who grew up a USM fan........Will Golsan is solid but he grew up an Ole Miss fan as well......most of the people we didn't get were either Ole Miss or USM fans growing up.

Looks like we're still paying a small price for the 2000s decade, which saw MSU decline in popularity due to Polk and coupled with Ole Miss and USM reaching program heights and hosting regionals. I knew that was unavoidable for the most part, since many of these guys grew up without seeing any real MSU success outside one weekend in 2007. USM also matched that feat in 2009, and Ole Miss hosted regionals in 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2009. Hosted Supers 2 years in a row and then again in 2009. Also won the SEC in 2009. USM hosted in 2003 and made a regional every year from 2003-2011. Let's face it, hosting postseason play is what puts you on the map.

But, we have probably weathered that as well as you could have. Especially going forward. Geez, talk about counting your blessings. We are very lucky that neither one of them accomplished more than they did during that time frame. Even still, we went to Omaha, and won a few SEC tournaments in there.

Damn I'm glad that decade is over.

bully99
02-10-2014, 06:45 PM
Anybody hear Cohen on Dick and Wyatt today. Cross asked him about the stadium, if it was going to be"plastic surgery or undertaker". Cohen said it's going to be a combination of the two. Didn't really elaborate on it, just praised Stricklin as a genius.

Todd4State
02-10-2014, 06:46 PM
Looks like we're still paying a small price for the 2000s decade, which saw MSU decline in popularity due to Polk and coupled with Ole Miss and USM reaching program heights and hosting regionals. I knew that was unavoidable for the most part, since many of these guys grew up without seeing any real MSU success outside one weekend in 2007. USM also matched that feat in 2009, and Ole Miss hosted regionals in 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2009. Hosted Supers 2 years in a row and then again in 2009. Also won the SEC in 2009. USM hosted in 2003 and made a regional every year from 2003-2011. Let's face it, hosting postseason play is what puts you on the map.

But, we have probably weathered that as well as you could have. Especially going forward. Geez, talk about counting your blessings. We are very lucky that neither one of them accomplished more than they did during that time frame. Even still, we went to Omaha, and won a few SEC tournaments in there.

Damn I'm glad that decade is over.

Quite possibly. Ole Miss baseball and USM baseball are not what they were in 1998. Exapanding the regional field in the late 1990's helped both of those programs as well because as you said making the postseason is what puts you on the map.

Offshore Dawg
02-10-2014, 07:17 PM
Anybody hear Cohen on Dick and Wyatt today. Cross asked him about the stadium, if it was going to be"plastic surgery or undertaker". Cohen said it's going to be a combination of the two. Didn't really elaborate on it, just praised Stricklin as a genius.

Can somebody elaborate on this

messageboardsuperhero
02-10-2014, 07:25 PM
Can somebody elaborate on this

I guess they were just asking if DNF was going to be fixed up some (plastic surgery) or if it was just going to be totally redone (undertaker), and Cohen said it was going to be a combination of the two.

What I'm hoping that means is that while the grandstand will probably be totally redone, the LFL and some aspects of the outfield will be getting touch-ups, and it will all be tied together within what will basically be a new stadium on the same site.

But I didn't listen to the interview or hear his exact answer- so that's just what I'm hoping/thinking Cohen means. We won't hear anything definitive for at least a few more months anyway.

Drugdog
02-10-2014, 07:54 PM
Any news on some of the Madison Central Pitchers? Howland or Axtell ?

dawg21
02-10-2014, 08:30 PM
No insider info but there is no way they can accomplish the goals without totally redoing the stadium. No matter what Cohen and Strick say...it's gonna be an overhaul. The LFL will be the sticking point...but anybody with any sense knows that needs to be redone as well. There has to be some spec of safety that has to be applied. Personally I hope it's a mix of creatively designed spots where current users get and "open" spots for first come first serve so many different ppl can experience and be a part of the LFL.

MsStateBaseball
02-10-2014, 08:43 PM
When it comes to baseball recruiting, we are getting the best players at the position we need that will make it to school. Understand? All 2014 signees are outstanding. We might lose one to the draft. We are now getting the 10th graders to commit every year, we are also filling our needs. Ask a pro scout how we did.

messageboardsuperhero
02-10-2014, 08:58 PM
No insider info but there is no way they can accomplish the goals without totally redoing the stadium.No matter what Cohen and Strick say...it's gonna be an overhaul. The LFL will be the sticking point...but anybody with any sense knows that needs to be redone as well. There has to be some spec of safety that has to be applied. Personally I hope it's a mix of creatively designed spots where current users get and "open" spots for first come first serve so many different ppl can experience and be a part of the LFL.

Oh, there's no doubt that the goal of "best in America" absolutely cannot be accomplished if we keep the current grandstand.

Todd4State
02-10-2014, 09:01 PM

We're going to see how they perform this season and go from there. IMO, our biggest need is corner infield/outfield players for 2015/2016 but at the same time, you can't have enough pitching.

MsStateBaseball
02-10-2014, 09:05 PM
Todd, any 9th grade players at Rosa Scott caught your eye? They lost only one game in the summer versus same opponents this spring.

taylor
02-10-2014, 09:59 PM
we missed on at least one DD because when he came to campus he was basically ignored. Late in identifying the talent. Of course, you cant be perfect, and evaluating talent isn't a perfect science.

MsStateBaseball
02-10-2014, 10:11 PM
Who was that Taylor?

Todd4State
02-10-2014, 10:51 PM
Todd, any 9th grade players at Rosa Scott caught your eye? They lost only one game in the summer versus same opponents this spring.

I draw the line at high school baseball. LOL.

MC baseball right now is kind of unstable. No one knows if Chad Davis is going to be the coach next year or not. But once they get that settled I think they will be fine. After Austin Riley graduates from DeSoto Central of course.

I know some parents though, so I might learn about a few of them along the way.

bully99
02-10-2014, 11:50 PM
Todd, what about out of state recruiting. Any names there.

M.Fillmore
02-10-2014, 11:53 PM

Ford Axtell is rehabing from Tommy John surgery last fall. So he will not pitch this season. However the surgeon said the new ligament will be much stronger. Very successful surgery. His rehab is ahead of schedule. His family loves MSU.

Todd4State
02-10-2014, 11:58 PM
Todd, what about out of state recruiting. Any names there.

The biggest one is Seth Beer and that will be between MSU and LSU. I could see Georgia slipping in late as well. I know that we are looking at a pitcher from Pelham HS in Birmingham and a 1B named Brandt Stallings from Georgia that has an offer from Vanderbilt. Then there's a pitcher from Georgia named Addison Allbright that we are recruiting as well.

Cohen is also starting to go out to California more- I wouldn't be surprised if we land a player or two from out there.

EEdawg15
02-11-2014, 12:12 AM
Todd are u referring to the Chad Davis that was previously at Wayne County and before that Raleigh?

bully99
02-11-2014, 02:06 AM
Todd, Perfect Game says Brandt Stallings has committed to Georgia Tech and Addison Allbright has committed to Georgia.

Todd4State
02-11-2014, 09:56 AM
Todd are u referring to the Chad Davis that was previously at Wayne County and before that Raleigh?

Yes.

Todd4State
02-11-2014, 09:56 AM
Todd, Perfect Game says Brandt Stallings has committed to Georgia Tech and Addison Allbright has committed to Georgia.

OK.