PDA

View Full Version : Taking the fam to Walt Disney World Orlando, advice needed

chainedup_Dawg
02-09-2014, 12:39 AM
I know these types of trips are money pits so I am looking for advice from the experienced. Any and all is appreciated. Here are the details;

My son is 8 and my daughter is 2, both are into Disney channel shows.

My first thoughts are Magic Kingdom only but also considering Universal/ Epcot.

I think the ideal situation would be to book a trip staying on Disney property with passes to the parks. Any of you had experience with this and know what I should look/ look out for?

I'd greatly appreciate it. My baby girl would shit herself at anything Disney dealing with Magic Kingdom but I want to make sure my son's mind is blown also. Not to mention, there is a chance that my son's half brother, now 18, might join.

Any thoughts, ideas or advice?

Thanks in advance guys

ckDOG
02-09-2014, 10:05 PM
I'd stay at one of the budget resorts like Pop Century. You don't spend enough time at the hotel to merit spending much $ on it. Plus, the budgets aren't too bad. Think a little older Hampton Inn. They don't have the convenience of the monorail, but you still have busses shuttling you to the parks all day. Plus, if you stay at any WDW property, you can use the pools at others, so if your crew wants to see the themes at Polynesian or whatever, you can just head that way.

Scale back in the lodging and spend the savings on park experience.

Political Hack
02-09-2014, 11:54 PM
we stayed at animal kingdom and got passes to all four parks and the meal plan. meal plan saves money if you're staying on the property. if not, skip it and eat a big breakfast before you go to the parks. if you have a baby or small child they'll let you bring water and stuff like that in which saves $7 every time your kid wants a drink.

the cheapest way to do it IMO is to stay at a hotel off the property that has free breakfast. You have to do a complete day in a park so you're trapped for lunch but could try to squeeze dinner out afterwards if you're lucky (doubtful).

Also, DO NOT MISS the fireworks show at Magic Kingdom.

chainedup_Dawg
02-10-2014, 12:35 AM
Thanks, I really appreciate it. I haven't been sinc e I was 7 so I'm in the dark.

Martianlander
02-10-2014, 01:48 PM
All four parks are great. With kids that age I think Magic Kingdom would be my first choice, then probably Epcot, but if you have time go to all four. The "Soarin" ride at Epcot is probably my favorite. Via Napoli in Epcot is also a good place to eat if you like pizza and is about as reasonable as you will find on property. The Cat Cora restaurant named Kouzzina on the Boardwalk is not good and very pricey. Would advise you to avoid that.

FlabLoser
02-10-2014, 07:14 PM
If your kids like Disney TV shows, get a day at The Studios. They'll love the Playhouse Disney thing over there. It's an interactive audience participation Mickey Mouse Clubhouse show.

And your son will be blown away with the Toy Story 3D ride/game over there. Get to the park when they open, go straight to Toy Story, and get a Fast Pass. That 3D Toy Story ride is probably the most popular thing Disney has, period.

Goat Holder
02-10-2014, 08:11 PM
Here are my tips:

- Go in October. Great weather, short(er) lines. Just take them out of school. June/July SUUUUUCKS.

- I stayed in the French Quarter deal. Not too expensive. I have also stayed in the Animal Kingdom. VERY expensive. I recommend the former, but in the latter, you straight up had giraffes looking in your windows in the mornings.

- Take the buses. I wouldn't try to drive to each park. Especially with only one of your kids needing a stroller.

- We brought our own breakfast and lunch food. Basically cereal for breakfast in the room, sandwiches for lunch, then dinner either at the park or back at the resort in the cafeteria.

- We did not go back to the rooms for nap time. Just pushed them in a stroller or sat down in the shade somewhere.

After all that, just make sure to have fun. That's what Disney is all about. All 4 Parks are great, spend a day at each one. We didn't mess with the waterpark or ESPNzone or any of that. Make sure to research when the shows are and when the parks stay open for the night and such, so you can see the fireworks.

Both times I went, it's been a Thursday through Tuesday ordeal, where Thursday was travel and pool (it was warm enough both October trips), Friday-Monday at each park, Tuesday travel home. That's about long enough for me.

ETA: This is simply MY OPINION, but I would not recommend spending the ass load of money on the dinners with all the characters. Just spend 30 minutes, and wait in line to see them around the parks (they walk around periodically). Kids seem to to like that more than when all the characters come to the table while we're eating. But it's whatever you feel like your kids would enjoy most.

Esmerelda Villalobos
02-10-2014, 09:22 PM
All four parks are great. With kids that age I think Magic Kingdom would be my first choice, then probably Epcot, but if you have time go to all four. The "Soarin" ride at Epcot is probably my favorite. Via Napoli in Epcot is also a good place to eat if you like pizza and is about as reasonable as you will find on property. The Cat Cora restaurant named Kouzzina on the Boardwalk is not good and very pricey. Would advise you to avoid that.

This all day. All of it.

Magic kingdom sucks unless you have kids though. Epcot and animal kingdom are probably my favorite.

Dallas_Dawg
02-10-2014, 11:30 PM
Reading this thread makes me want to start pulling out.

Esmerelda Villalobos
02-10-2014, 11:38 PM
Reading this thread makes me want to start pulling out.

Yeah. Im 32 and still have no desire. My sister has 2 under 5. Tells me how awful and expensive they are but I "have to have them". Ummm, ok. Ill keep going to maui on vacation while you pump into a 529 on a kid that after 14, will pretty much hate your guts the rest of your life.

But back to disney. The food is AWFUL. Awful. Im dead serious when I say this. The best normal meal there are the buffalo wings at espn Zone.

FlabLoser
02-11-2014, 08:50 AM
My kids were 7 and 5 when we went and I wouldn't trade it for the world. It was incredible. Magic Kingdom, Epcot, Studios.

I recommend the tequila bar at the bottom of the Mayan pyramid in Epcot. The blood orange margarita was awesome. The food we had at Magic Kingdom was OK. There are a lot of restaurants. I guess it varies. The best food we had anywhere there was some French restaurant at Epcot.

We stayed at Coronado Springs. The food there was pretty decent.

FISHDAWG
02-11-2014, 09:11 AM
universal is the better deal and amusement park for thrill rides ... if you are looking for "theme" then Disney is the way to go ...1st trip for kids = Magic Kingdom, then you can explore other parks but I don't think the park pass that lets you go from one park to another is the way to go unless you are trying to find the least crowded ... on-site loging varies from All-Star Resort (sports theme and most economical) to sky high .... I am quite familiar with all parks as my former company did work on all of the on site resorts / hotels ... kids = magic kingdom & animal kingdom ... adults = epcot & MGM ..... you can leave the property for lunch and a nap and re-enter after everyone is rested up - this is highly recommended as few folks (especially children) can take an entire day at a park ... staying on the property = only minor convienience ... staying off = big savings .... many other things around Orlando like Seaworld and a host of other attractions ... first time I took our children we did 3 parks in 3 days and got burned out ... took a day off and went to Kennedy Space Center then back to the parks the last day .... 4 days in those parks is just to much

Goat Holder
02-11-2014, 11:14 AM
Some people live due to a higher calling than just their own simple pleasures.

Political Hack
02-11-2014, 12:30 PM
Epcot is awesome for adults but I didn't think it was that good for kids... at leasts not compared to the other parks.

As an adult Epcot and Animal kingdom were by far my favorites.

SheltonChoked
02-11-2014, 01:47 PM
Use a Disney Certified Travel agent. I went last year and used one for the first time. Cheaper than if i'd done it myself. No fees. and She booked everything. All dining, rooms, passes, transportation, insurance. Everything.

It was great.

With a 2 year old, Staying at the Polynesian resort on the Monorail is great, but expensive.

universal is fun if you have a crew that likes roller coasters. Not fun if you dont.

Epcot is underrated. Forget the front except for Test Track and Soarin'. Go to the countries. look around. Eat Drink.

Go in September. No Crowds. Seriously None. Also you get a free dining plan when Staying on property.

PM me and I'll give you my travel agents name.

FlabLoser
02-11-2014, 03:56 PM
+1 for the Disney travel agent. They will help you plan your trip for you needs. I think after you've been once, you'll know how to plan it yourself next time.

+1 don't bother with the pass for switching parks. Get your fill of one park one day, and a different park the next day.

We went the week of Christmas. Traveled home on Christmas Eve. It was a holiday for the kids and not crowded in the park. It only got Crowded on Christmas Eve. Plus it was cool seeing the whole place decorated for Christmas.

Political Hack
02-11-2014, 04:20 PM
one park per day. live by that with exception of going to magic kingdom one night for fireworks.

Esmerelda Villalobos
02-11-2014, 10:06 PM
Some people live due to a higher calling than just their own simple pleasures.

Sorry goat. I didnt know having kids was a "higher calling". Carry on..

Esmerelda Villalobos
02-11-2014, 10:06 PM
Epcot is awesome for adults but I didn't think it was that good for kids... at leasts not compared to the other parks.

As an adult Epcot and Animal kingdom were by far my favorites.

All day long. Pub crawling countries in epcot is awesome and soarin is the most badass ride ever