PDA

View Full Version : So let's set some expectations...

CadaverDawg
02-08-2014, 12:08 AM
for baseball since the season opener is around the corner.

Obviously, expecting us to do as good or better is not really fair. Our fans need to realize that we lost a first round pick in Renfroe, and our "ace" in Graveman. That doesn't mean we can't win the whole damn thing, but we can't go into the season expecting it.

I fully expect us to host a Regional and make a Super. As tough as things get beyond that, and as big as matchups are, I can't expect much beyond that. However, if we host a Super Regional, I think we will make it back to Omaha. I'm not going to say I expect a National Seed...but we should definitely be in the mix at worst.

But most of all, I just want to see some damn good baseball and to see us develop some true starting pitchers. I'd also like to see some of these young guys begin to take the next step. Should be a fun year. I can't wait. Thoughts?

chainedup_Dawg
02-08-2014, 12:16 AM
My expectations are a lot like yours. I expect us to host a regional and make a super at least and hopefully make Omaha. I am on the fence though between expecting us to make a super and expecting us to host a super.

msstate7
02-08-2014, 12:18 AM
I think our pitching is good enough to get us into a super. To win a super and beyond, we've got to have guys get on base in front of rea and a guy behind rea to force teams to pitch to rea.

Dawghouse
02-08-2014, 12:33 AM
Aside from postseason, I'd like for us to compete for the SEC crown.

I'll be slightly disappointed if we don't make it to the Super. I'll be extremely disappointed if we don't host a regional.

Omaha takes great baseball at the right time as well as a good dose of luck. We have the team to make it but so did Virginia last year.

dawgoneyall
02-08-2014, 12:47 AM
Baseball being funny (finishing 1st one year and last the next year with the same players) I think our starting pitching will be better. This will allow our bullpen to be more effective. But one can't expect our bullpen to come in early and get the results we had last year (we had some outstanding performances which we can't simply count on again).

Renfroe was hot and very cold at times. I think a more consistent player in his hole will be an improvement. Our greatest loss is Frazier. Damn, he was our MVP....don't argue.

Defense will be better with just having year older players and defense loses more games than offense wins games. Don't argue.

We should finish 1st or 2nd in the west and should expect to host a regional....after that everything is being good (which we will be) and luck (right bounce at the right time).

Dawg61
02-08-2014, 12:49 AM
Top 4 in the SEC
Host a regional
40 wins on the year

messageboardsuperhero
02-08-2014, 12:56 AM
My expectations for baseball have very little to do with the postseason. Here are my base expectations that I will be pretty disappointed if we don't meet:

Win AT LEAST 18 regular season SEC games
Win AT LEAST 38-40 regular season games
Host a regional

Of course, I definitely think we can do better and are one of the eight best teams in the country. Here's what I'd like to see for us to take the next step:

Win 20+ SEC games
Win 40+ regular season games
Compete for and/or win the SEC
Get a national seed

Again, those aren't "expactations," just what I think this team can do. What happens from there out? Who knows.

Pollodawg
02-08-2014, 05:59 AM
My expectations for baseball have very little to do with the postseason. Here are my base expectations that I will be pretty disappointed if we don't meet:

Win AT LEAST 18 regular season SEC games
Win AT LEAST 38-40 regular season games
Host a regional

Of course, I definitely think we can do better and are one of the eight best teams in the country. Here's what I'd like to see for us to take the next step:

Win 20+ SEC games
Win 40+ regular season games
Compete for and/or win the SEC
Get a national seed

Again, those aren't "expactations," just what I think this team can do. What happens from there out? Who knows.

Haven't done this since the late eighties. It's time to get this monkey off of our back.

ETA: fixed for accuracy. It's early.

dickiedawg
02-08-2014, 08:18 AM
I tend to agree with messageboardsuperhero. My expectations hinge on regular season improvement.
As has been said, the postseason requires a good deal of luck and other factors beyond our control. Last year, we got hot and played our best ball at the end after getting off to a disappointing SEC start.
I believe we should be one of the best 2-3 teams in the league this year and I expect our record to reflect that. That would mean being easily on the good side of the hosting bubble with a good shot at being a national seed.
Cohen's teams here have played their best ball in the postseason. If we do well enough in the regular season to warrant a National Seed, look out.

Will James
02-08-2014, 10:09 AM
Host a regional
Win our regional
Be close or get a National Seed
Lead the SEC in pitcher strikeouts
Score more runs/game than last year in league play
Maximize our bullpen use
Top 3 in the SEC
Less baserunning errors

CadaverDawg
02-08-2014, 10:12 AM
Host a regional
Win our regional
Be close or get a National Seed
Lead the SEC in pitcher strikeouts
Score more runs/game than last year in league play
Maximize our bullpen use
Top 3 in the SEC
Less baserunning errors

It's about time you showed up. Why don't you draw up some sort of preview for us. Strengths, weaknesses, keys to success, etc. I'm ready to jump fully into baseball, so you baseball gurus need to get the knowledge flowing

Political Hack
02-08-2014, 10:22 AM
SEC Regular Season Champs
SEC Tourney Champs
Win the Regional at home
Win the Super at home
Win the CWS

If we accomplish 2-3 of those things it'll be a pretty great year. For me, it's all about Omaha but winning the SEC would be great too.

EAVdog
02-08-2014, 10:41 AM
It's our time, we win the Whole Damn Thing!

(why not have high expectations)