PDA

View Full Version : Coaching hires under Mullen

MetEdDawg
02-07-2014, 08:45 PM
I got to thinking today with the news that Johnson was coming on board about our hires under Mullen and where we currently stand as far as that goes. I went through a list of what I thought to be the top 5 on field hires during the Mullen tenure in terms of what they bring/brought to the table while here and came up with this list:

1) Collins
2) Brewster
3) Townsend
4) Diaz
5) Turner

I think all 5 of these guys have contributed in major to what we do now in terms of on the field adjustments, recruiting tactics, our overall scheme development, and just the message/demeanor we want our program to have. What it led me to was wondering just how much of an impact Johnson will have since it looks like he brings so much to the table. I think another year of Gonzalez may very well bump him up into this list or into spot #6.

What all of that being said, I think it's very possible that with the addition of Johnson and having Gonzalez and Hevesy on staff that in this upcoming season we will have 6 of the 8 best on the field coaching hires during the Mullen tenure on the same coaching staff. To me, that is going to be a huge factor in our success next season. From where we started under Mullen, you can clearly see that we have upgraded our staff and the types of things we are looking for to get the most out of our program. Our staff is very well rounded right now and I believe we are beginning to see what the groundwork we laid the last 5 years is doing for our program.

I really feel good about what we are doing and that we are setting ourselves up for something that we can sustain. We've come to the table with the big time money to keep our DC, we've gone and gotten a guy like Johnson that is familiar with Mullen and can come in immediately and fill a role we need filled, the team is as talented and as deep as it's been in over a decade, and the stadium renovation will be ready next year. Feel really good about where the staff is at and where the program seems to be headed.

missouridawg
02-07-2014, 09:42 PM
Brewster doesn't deserve to be on here. He's a great recruiter but only spent five months here and didn't really do shit for us recruiting wise.

engie
02-07-2014, 09:50 PM
Brewster doesn't deserve to be on here. He's a great recruiter but only spent five months here and didn't really do shit for us recruiting wise.

He reshaped our whole recruiting philosophy. That shouldn't be discounted....

missouridawg
02-07-2014, 10:07 PM
He reshaped our whole recruiting philosophy. That shouldn't be discounted....

Agreed. I did overlook that. Hopefully it pays off soon.