TheRef
02-07-2014, 05:38 PM
I approve.

sleepy dawg
02-07-2014, 05:44 PM
I approve of your approval.

starkvegasdawg
02-07-2014, 05:46 PM
I approve of your approval of the approval.

DawgHouseUnited
02-07-2014, 06:13 PM
I approve of your approval of the approval.

This is all I can think of to add...
http://youtu.be/3NaQxUEfxt0

Sacrifice
02-07-2014, 06:17 PM
Hell yeah!!! I hope he's ready to get in the mud with OM on the recruiting trail...

msstate7
02-07-2014, 06:18 PM
So qb coach and co-off cood?

Todd4State
02-07-2014, 06:19 PM
This is all I can think of to add...
http://youtu.be/3NaQxUEfxt0

Nice.

engie
02-07-2014, 06:23 PM
So qb coach and co-off cood?

Have to wait and see on that...

Dawg61
02-07-2014, 06:24 PM
Awesome!! Good get Dan!!

was21
02-07-2014, 06:25 PM
So much for Mullen relinquishing St duties...probably.

War Machine Dawg
02-07-2014, 06:31 PM
Can't emphasize how much I love this hire. Huge get for us, if true. Now Dan just needs to hire someone to fix STs and we'll be set.

engie
02-07-2014, 06:43 PM
Can't emphasize how much I love this hire. Huge get for us, if true. Now Dan just needs to hire someone to fix STs and we'll be set.

Exactly...

msstate7
02-07-2014, 06:48 PM
I'd really like to get the wake coach also. I love the thought of more option in our offense.

Todd4State
02-07-2014, 06:48 PM

Amen. If Dan doesn't hire a special teams coach or make someone on staff the ST coach, I will not be happy.

hacker
02-07-2014, 07:12 PM
I'd really like to get the wake coach also. I love the thought of more option in our offense.

I think it's kinda crazy to say this. I've never heard someone say "I'd like to get (that other OC candidate too)" on news of hiring an OC. But maybe you know something I don't.

msstate7
02-07-2014, 07:17 PM
I think it's kinda crazy to say this. I've never heard someone say "I'd like to get (that other OC candidate too)" on news of hiring an OC. But maybe you know something I don't.

I don't know anything. We've had co-def cood's. Why not co-off cood's? I'm happy with Johnson though. Not knocking him at all

engie
02-07-2014, 07:22 PM

Alot of the early speculation is that Johnson won't be getting a full OC title at MSU just yet... He had been demoted to QB coach at Utah for a variety of reasons that IMO fell mostly outside of his own control.

If he's a co-OC, I could definitely see us going and getting another one -- especially if the second guy has previous special teams experience...

Dawg61
02-07-2014, 07:29 PM
Alot of the early speculation is that Johnson won't be getting a full OC title at MSU just yet... He had been demoted to QB coach at Utah for a variety of reasons that IMO fell mostly outside of his own control.

If he's a co-OC, I could definitely see us going and getting another one -- especially if the second guy has previous special teams experience...

Sweet 2 OC and Mullen will still be the OC. Brilliant! I make jest but I'd be fine with this too as long as someone ANYONE takes over ST.

Coach34
02-07-2014, 07:47 PM
this guy is a young, recruiting machine. Good hire for us

GreenheadDawg
02-07-2014, 08:33 PM
this guy is a young, recruiting machine. Good hire for us

Bingo. I don't think Mullen is bringing him in for his offensive mind. He is strictly a young, energetic recruiter. Obviously the Tee situation lit a fire under Dan's ass this weekend. The meltdown in oxford will be epic when we keep the egg bowl and if we win the recruiting championship.

mic
02-07-2014, 08:47 PM
BJ will be great for Dak and the young QB's.. This is a homerun hire...

Dawghouse
02-07-2014, 09:22 PM
I propose we not use his initials to refer to him. I'm sure Dak would agree with you though.

DawgPoundRock
02-07-2014, 09:31 PM
I propose we not use his initials to refer to him. I'm sure Dak would agree with you though.

Haha i was thinking the same thing

hacker
02-07-2014, 10:03 PM
A rebel on the other board is saying "it's pretty convenient that Brian Johnson is coming to State from Utah the day after the DJ Law debacle"

Yes, apparently they think we orchestrated the whole thing with DJ Law.

Statecoachingblows**
02-07-2014, 11:05 PM
A rebel on the other board is saying "it's pretty convenient that Brian Johnson is coming to State from Utah the day after the DJ Law debacle"

Great Strick just deducted 8 scholarships over the next 4 seasons due to allegations.

Coach34
02-07-2014, 11:16 PM

Mullen is maestro

esplanade91
02-07-2014, 11:37 PM
Mullen is maestro

I just hope we start cashing in on NOLA. Maybe not 2015, but NOLA and Memphis are the two biggest recruit-hotbeds in Mississippi*. Doesn't hurt he can go into all their living rooms with a Sugar Bowl ring he earned by clobbering mighty Alabama.

Them thinking we have any other reason to hire Brian is a bonus.

DapperDawg
02-07-2014, 11:49 PM
Every year OM cherry-picks recruits from us, and someone says it has lit a fire under Dan's ass, only to rinse and repeat the following season. OM will always out-recruit State.

hacker
02-08-2014, 01:22 PM
Every year OM cherry-picks recruits from us, and someone says it has lit a fire under Dan's ass, only to rinse and repeat the following season. OM will always out-recruit State.

The **** is this? Ban.

NCDawg
02-08-2014, 01:29 PM
Don't like to be negative, but wonder why this guy has been demoted twice. Wonder what was the reasons? I note Utah may be now after Orgeron. Orgeron would have been a good hire for us in my opinion. No doubt Orgeron is a good recruiter and the players love him.

Pollodawg
02-08-2014, 01:55 PM
Orgeron is a thug and a slime ball. I do not want him anywhere near State. I don't care how he recruits.

NCDawg
02-08-2014, 02:04 PM
Orgeron is a thug and a slime ball. I do not want him anywhere near State. I don't care how he recruits.

And how do you know that? Do you know him personally, or are you judging him because he was the Ole Miss coach? I don't personally know him, but the Southern Cal players seemed to like him a lot.

Really Clark?
02-08-2014, 02:24 PM
Don't like to be negative, but wonder why this guy has been demoted twice. Wonder what was the reasons? I note Utah may be now after Orgeron. Orgeron would have been a good hire for us in my opinion. No doubt Orgeron is a good recruiter and the players love him.

A good hire to coach what? We already have a DL coach.

esplanade91
02-08-2014, 02:26 PM
And how do you know that? Do you know him personally, or are you judging him because he was the Ole Miss coach? I don't personally know him, but the Southern Cal players seemed to like him a lot.

He's the reason for everything wrong in Oxford right now.

And the guy was one of if not the highest paid assistant in college football the last couple of years. Not only that, but he was the head guy in Oxford. He'd never consider coming to MSU for any reason unless we too were going to give him over $1m. Our fans consistently bringing up his name is delusional.

We brought in Brewster (who is Coach O caliber in recruiting). He taught us the game and now we're playing it. One way to play that game is to hire a 27 year old guy who is a legend in Texas for signing a LOI to a major D1 college when he was 16 and clobbering Alabama in the Sugar Bowl. Much bigger is he's a baller recruiting Louisiana... which is where we get a good amount of our recruits.

Him being demoted twice isn't the whole story. The story is that he was given the head OC job when he was 24 years old. Obviously he wasn't ready, but he has enough value for Utah to keep him. We have an OC already. We need recruiters. We could have gone this next season with only 8 coaches and I don't think it would have mattered. We're getting a young energetic recruiter who brings value at QB mentorship. Simple as that. Great for us. To sit here and say that we wish we could have gotten someone else is humorous.

Our fans have consistently been bitching about our QB play since hiring Mullen. We now have the all-time leader in single season passing touchdowns and Utah's career leader in total wins on our staff STRICTLY for QB's. Just be happy.

Todd4State
02-08-2014, 02:29 PM
A good hire to coach what? We already have a DL coach.

Exactly- hiring Orgeron would mean getting rid of Turner. Also, after his recent USC gig, I'm pretty sure he would expect to at least be the DC.

He just doesn't fit MSU. And he doesn't fit on Dan's staff either. I think it would be a disaster- and probably cost us a lot of money.

Todd4State
02-08-2014, 02:32 PM
He's the reason for everything wrong in Oxford right now. And the guy was one of if not the highest paid assistant in college football the last couple of years. Not only that, but he was the head guy in Oxford. He'd never consider coming to MSU for any reason unless we too were going to give him over $1m. Our fans consistently bringing up his name is delusional.

We brought in Brewster (who is Coach O caliber in recruiting). He taught us the game and now we're playing it. One way to play that game is to hire a 27 year old guy who is a legend in Texas for signing a LOI to a major D1 college when he was 16 and clobbering Alabama in the Sugar Bowl. Much bigger is he's a baller recruiting Louisiana... which is where we get a good amount of our recruits.

Him being demoted twice isn't the whole story. The story is that he was given the head OC job when he was 24 years old. Obviously he wasn't ready, but he has enough value for Utah to keep him. We have an OC already. We need recruiters. We could have gone this next season with only 8 coaches and I don't think it would have mattered. We're getting a young energetic recruiter who brings value at QB mentorship. Simple as that. Great for us. To sit here and say that we wish we could have gotten someone else is humorous.

Our fans have consistently been bitching about our QB play since hiring Mullen. We now have the all-time leader in single season passing touchdowns and Utah's career leader in total wins on our staff STRICTLY for QB's. Just be happy.

Thank you! I agree with pretty much everything.

But I will say this- we did have Joe Lee Dunn after he was the interim head coach for Ole Miss.

hacker
02-08-2014, 02:42 PM
We brought in Brewster (who is Coach O caliber in recruiting). He taught us the game and now we're playing it.

This is the second time I've read something to this effect in two days. I wish someone would go into more detail. We didn't know the game before Brewster? He changed the entire recruiting philosophy in 6 months? What exactly is it that he changed and did?

This would be a great topic for an in-depth blog post **cough cough beastman cough**

NCDawg
02-08-2014, 02:56 PM
Apparently we didn't know the game before Brewster. He taught our staff how to recruit. I was kinda' thinking maybe Orgeron could also teach us some things about recruiting, but was advised he is a slime ball and he is the reason "for everything wrong in Oxford right now". Guess I'll take the advice and "just be happy".

esplanade91
02-08-2014, 03:12 PM
Thank you! I agree with pretty much everything.

But I will say this- we did have Joe Lee Dunn after he was the interim head coach for Ole Miss.
That was also a time when things like hiring a retired football coach away from his Ford dealership in Texas wasn't a weird thing to do. In today's climate, I don't think it would fly.

This is the second time I've read something to this effect in two days. I wish someone would go into more detail. We didn't know the game before Brewster? He changed the entire recruiting philosophy in 6 months? What exactly is it that he changed and did?

This would be a great topic for an in-depth blog post **cough cough beastman cough**
Brewster has been recognized as one of the top recruiters in college football over and over again. If we weren't able to learn something or two from him even if it was only for 6 months, everyone on staff deserves to be fired.

I don't claim to be in-the-know but there was a lot of stuff on the surface that casual fans could see this year that hasn't been there in the past. Brewster is known for weaseling his way into families and that was evident too. Look at the Staley's and our staff.

I was at a restaurant once and Brewster and staff came in with a recruit, his mother, and his siblings. Brewster sat next to the kid's mother and talked to her NONSTOP. Bought her a birthday cake and sang her happy birthday at the end, and I was close enough to hear "I know it's not your birthday, but I know it's coming up in X days and I wanted to be able to wish you a happy one (something to that effect)."

Recruiting a kid's family was definitely a theme this year. More so than I can remember last year or the year before that.

I'm not referring to the game that goes on in Oxford, but we're definitely playing something different than we have in the past and it's all on Tim.

Really Clark?
02-08-2014, 03:27 PM
Apparently we didn't know the game before Brewster. He taught our staff how to recruit. I was kinda' thinking maybe Orgeron could also teach us some things about recruiting, but was advised he is a slime ball and he is the reason "for everything wrong in Oxford right now". Guess I'll take the advice and "just be happy".

You were also asked what will he coach. The part of the job that is just as essential. Replace Collins? Because he may not come for anything less than DC right now. Replace Turner? A good DL coach in his own right. Not to mention this will be the first consecutive season of continuity on the defensive side of the ball. I would not mess with that.

What else is there? QB coach is the position we are filling. Won't fit there. The only possible idea is to move Sallach into administration and have the TE absorbed by the OL and WR coach. Then convince him to come on as a "special" team coach. Which I would have my doubts of that happening. Not to mention you would have no idea if he can even coach the ST. What in his resume would have anyone believe he knows how to teach kickers? Bell would probably end up needing a sports psychologist to help him tie his cleats after Orgeron ripped off his shirt. Shank you very much after that lesson. It could be as big of a cluster as what he did at OM. And we would have to pay $500,000-$1,000,000 for that possibility.

Yes he is credited for USCw playing better after they fired Kiffin and has a good relationship with his players. An awesome recruiter that could teach a lot of things in that area and not all of it be shady. But you are talking about a very talented USCe roster that just started playing loose after getting rid of the albatross. Fired them up but had good coaches who made much better decisions after they got rid of Kiffin.

NCDawg
02-08-2014, 03:57 PM
You were also asked what will he coach. The part of the job that is just as essential. Replace Collins? Because he may not come for anything less than DC right now. Replace Turner? A good DL coach in his own right. Not to mention this will be the first consecutive season of continuity on the defensive side of the ball. I would not mess with that.

What else is there? QB coach is the position we are filling. Won't fit there. The only possible idea is to move Sallach into administration and have the TE absorbed by the OL and WR coach. Then convince him to come on as a "special" team coach. Which I would have my doubts of that happening. Not to mention you would have no idea if he can even coach the ST. What in his resume would have anyone believe he knows how to teach kickers? Bell would probably end up needing a sports psychologist to help him tie his cleats after Orgeron ripped off his shirt. Shank you very much after that lesson. It could be as big of a cluster as what he did at OM. And we would have to pay $500,000-$1,000,000 for that possibility.

Yes he is credited for USCw playing better after they fired Kiffin and has a good relationship with his players. An awesome recruiter that could teach a lot of things in that area and not all of it be shady. But you are talking about a very talented USCe roster that just started playing loose after getting rid of the albatross. Fired them up but had good coaches who made much better decisions after they got rid of Kiffin.

No, I wouldn't want to replace Collins or Turner. Both are very good coaches. I guess the only thing would be ST coach and head recruiter, which probably wouldn't work either. My thinking was just to bring him in for his recruiting prowess, which is very obviously very good. Don't think we would be finishing 13th out of 14, if he was here.

esplanade91
02-08-2014, 05:34 PM
No, I wouldn't want to replace Collins or Turner. Both are very good coaches. I guess the only thing would be ST coach and head recruiter, which probably wouldn't work either. My thinking was just to bring him in for his recruiting prowess, which is very obviously very good. Don't think we would be finishing 13th out of 14, if he was here.

We wouldn't finish 13th or 14th with Mack Brown either. About the same chances of happening. Only way to get a Coach O is to make our own.

Todd4State
02-08-2014, 05:54 PM

If we made him the lead recruiter, we would have to move Tony Hughes. And that would not be smart either.

Todd4State
02-08-2014, 05:55 PM

Coach O did have some success with USC, but I highly doubt he could have sustained it. And apparently Pat Haden agrees with me.

Really Clark?
02-08-2014, 06:20 PM
Coach O did have some success with USC, but I highly doubt he could have sustained it. And apparently Pat Haden agrees with me.

I agree as well. I would have had serious doubts if it would have sustained even the following year. Maybe with a fantastic staff and him as the player coach figure head it would have been ok but his track record at OM was horrible as a head coach.

Statecoachingblows**
02-08-2014, 06:20 PM
The way the 2015 class is already shaping up he's gonna have a hellacious year 1 on his resume at State

esplanade91
02-08-2014, 08:19 PM
If we made him the lead recruiter, we would have to move Tony Hughes. And that would not be smart either.

BOOM! Something Rosebowl said last week that stuck with me was something like "If any other big FBS program decides they really want to have strong recruiting ties to Mississippi, Tony Hughes would be the first guy on everyone's list."

Mullen gets the credit for finding gems but in reality it's Hughes. All these freak of nature guys from USM just now coming through the depth charts of their NFL teams were his doing. Again, if we want a Coach O we have to create one. Having a 27 year old on staff will be huge.

Really Clark?
02-08-2014, 08:28 PM
BOOM! Something Rosebowl said last week that stuck with me was something like "If any other big FBS program decides they really want to have strong recruiting ties to Mississippi, Tony Hughes would be the first guy on everyone's list."

Mullen gets the credit for finding gems but in reality it's Hughes. All these freak of nature guys from USM just now coming through the depth charts of their NFL teams were his doing. Again, if we want a Coach O we have to create one. Having a 27 year old on staff will be huge.

Hughes is great in the state and has lots of ties. But he was only at USM one year in 2008. He didn't have much of hand in any of that. He is the best in the state but he is not the only one on staff finding hidden gems. Wasn't Heavsey lead on Chris Jones?

esplanade91
02-08-2014, 09:00 PM
Hughes is great in the state and has lots of ties. But he was only at USM one year in 2008. He didn't have much of hand in any of that. He is the best in the state but he is not the only one on staff finding hidden gems. Wasn't Heavsey lead on Chris Jones?

By all, I meant Jamie Collins. Might be the best athlete to go through the Mississippi school system in recent history and Tony pegged him.

I have no clue off the top of my head who was Jones' recruiter, but I think Wilson was the guy who spotted him at camp and extended him an offer.

Really Clark?
02-08-2014, 09:31 PM
By all, I meant Jamie Collins. Might be the best athlete to go through the Mississippi school system in recent history and Tony pegged him.

I have no clue off the top of my head who was Jones' recruiter, but I think Wilson was the guy who spotted him at camp and extended him an offer.

He may have pegged Collins, I don't recall. He is good in state no doubt but we have good evaluators all over the staff. Chris was notice at camp, by everybody. It was that obvious but Heavsey was the lead recruiter for him. I think what it is, is Hughes' connections in the state and ability sell in state guys staying. I think his biggest recruit at USM was Brown, whose grades kept him from going to bigger programs. But a great job getting him. Although he never panned out completely.

esplanade91
02-08-2014, 09:37 PM
He may have pegged Collins, I don't recall. He is good in state no doubt but we have good evaluators all over the staff. Chris was notice at camp, by everybody. It was that obvious but Heavsey was the lead recruiter for him. I think what it is, is Hughes' connections in the state and ability sell in state guys staying. I think his biggest recruit at USM was Brown, whose grades kept him from going to bigger programs. But a great job getting him. Although he never panned out completely.
I completely forgot about Brown. So Brown and Collins. One a 1st team college All-American and the other a guy almost solely responsible for winning the divisional round and taking his team to the AFC championship.

I guess it doesn't matter who Jones' "recruiter" was. He had the whole staff on him.

ETA: I still think Brown would have made the NFL had that NOLA Bowl leg break not happened and he had better resources at his disposal (i.e. a better team so he didn't have to leave after a junior year).

hacker
02-08-2014, 10:02 PM

Oh come on. Brown was ridiculously good his freshman year. He was first round NFL talent, and was playing that way until that leg snap. God, that leg still makes me shudder thinking about it.

Really Clark?
02-08-2014, 10:10 PM
Oh come on. Brown was ridiculously good his freshman year. He was first round NFL talent, and was playing that way until that leg snap. God, that leg still makes me shudder thinking about it.

Oh I know. And the broken leg definitely hurt his chances. I was talking more at the end after he came back, lot of friction with the staff and didn't he end up nearly get kicked off the team or something? Thats what I was talking about with him not panning out. Leg issues mostly but head issues hindered as well.

esplanade91
02-09-2014, 12:38 AM
Oh I know. And the broken leg definitely hurt his chances. I was talking more at the end after he came back, lot of friction with the staff and didn't he end up nearly get kicked off the team or something? Thats what I was talking about with him not panning out. Leg issues mostly but head issues hindered as well.

Like I said, I still think he could have made the NFL had he had better coaching. I realize he had a now UNC coaching staff around him + one other HC but he never had a training facility like we do (he didn't have our roid feading strength coaches is what I'm getting at). I'm not being bias when I say I can see a big difference in our receivers and guys on TV from Louisville, UCF, or random ACC schools. A lot of them have better natural skill and route running, but they're not as physical. I've seen manya MSU receiver ruin a guy's night, and with the same resources RoJo has been given I think Brown could have been on a 53-man in 2013.

He also left with a year of eligibility. I don't see any of our WR coaches letting a guy walk away from a senior year with a 4-7 round grade and a promising senior year.