PDA

View Full Version : update on Brian Johnson

Coach34
02-07-2014, 12:05 PM
Utah guys think if State offers him- he is headed to Sville. Wasnt real happy about the OC hire that was made. Said he is a helluva recruiter and relates to players well.

This interview had been set awhile- was just waiting until after signing day

maroonmania
02-07-2014, 12:20 PM
Wasnt real happy about the OC hire that was made.

Just to clarify, are you saying Johnson was not happy with an OC hire made at Utah? I really don't know anything about their situation out there.

Westdawg
02-07-2014, 12:25 PM
Johnson was a Co-offensive coordinator. Their HC was not happy with how the offense has sputtered the last two years and wanted to make a change. still offered both Co-OCs spots to remain on staff....but it is often hard for someone to accept a demotion after being higher up the chain for a while on the same staff.
I have to admit that I really like the fact that Johnson wanted to wait until after signing day to make waves with this. That was important for Utah to keep the cohesiveness of the staff during that time.
I like the guy. He was a good QB in a similar offense to what we run. He knows Mullen's system. He is a known stud recruiter who relates well to this generation of players. He is young and gonna obviously have a fire in his belly to succeed. And he is already known and knows extensively part of our recruiting area in Louisiana. Those are major pluses across the board.
Would be a knockout hire.

blacklistedbully
02-07-2014, 12:47 PM
I believe their offensive woes may have had more to do with key injuries than bad coaching or scheme.

Based god
02-07-2014, 01:05 PM
Great hire! He'll ya

AFDawg
02-07-2014, 01:18 PM
I'm Thunderstruck by this guy.

MafiaDawg
02-07-2014, 01:33 PM
What's the point of waiting until after signing day for us? Would have been nice to have him the last month recruiting. If we pay him 350k I could give a damn about Utahs class and so should he.

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
02-07-2014, 01:42 PM
It Take!

engie
02-07-2014, 01:47 PM
What's the point of waiting until after signing day for us? Would have been nice to have him the last month recruiting. If we pay him 350k I could give a damn about Utahs class and so should he.

He simply proved he wasn't a shitty person that wanted to hurt the team he's spent his entire adult life with(the last 8 years). I don't have any problem whatsoever with his approach.

Very little he could have probably done to help us in the last month of recruiting that he wasn't probably actually doing already behind the scenes if he was fairly confident he would be taking our job...

Really Clark?
02-07-2014, 01:55 PM

This is pretty commonly done and you will see in the next week or so the second flurry of coaching changes. Happens every year and a lot of the moves were already set up weeks ago. Larry Porter just took the RB job and NC the day after signing day. LSU just had a coach that was going to join a NFL team but waited until after recruiting season. They tried to keep it quite but it was getting out. Then the day after signing day it was announced. And sometimes it's in the contracts or the buyouts hit at certain times. No big deal at all.

defiantdog
02-07-2014, 01:56 PM
He simply proved he wasn't a shitty person that wanted to hurt the team he's spent his entire adult life with(the last 8 years). I don't have any problem whatsoever with his approach.

Very little he could have probably done to help us in the last month of recruiting that he wasn't probably actually doing already behind the scenes if he was fairly confident he would be taking our job...
I really hope he can help bring in this guy if we do indeed get Johnson.... http://247sports.com/Player/Josh-White-34767

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
02-07-2014, 02:02 PM
I really hope he can help bring in this guy if we do indeed get Johnson.... http://247sports.com/Player/Josh-White-34767
Is that George Whitfield, Jr. in one of his profile pics?

MafiaDawg
02-07-2014, 02:04 PM
So blatantly lying to players he was trying to recruit to Utah makes him a better person? Got it.

Really Clark?
02-07-2014, 02:18 PM
So blatantly lying to players he was trying to recruit to Utah makes him a better person? Got it.

Who are you more beholden to, your employer or a customer you hope buys from your company? The recruit, although I know they do build the relationship with the salesman, ultimately should be buying the product as a whole I.e. the school not the salesman, the recruiter.

Westdawg
02-07-2014, 02:19 PM

no, but it prevents mass exodus of many of their commits.

Look at it from this perspective - if Collins HAD taken another position between the bowl game and signing day, it would have created a MAJOR rift with some of our current signees. Other staffs talk and use that info against that school with prospects. And to quite honest, a lot of these coaches are still not sure if they really want to leave or not.
I doubt that this coach's name was anywhere in the news or even circulating around that he might leave or consider the idea.
I am out west, and most of the bigger HS programs - even if we don't have a recruit in the mix that given year - know rumors circulating about staffs from Texas and OK all the way out to the bigger programs in Cali if there is indeed one circulating. I hhave never heard this coach's name in the mix about anything.
and if I HAD KNOWN I would have dropped that nugget when the whole OM/UTAH/Law recruit story broke.

smootness
02-07-2014, 02:29 PM

Why do people always assume the worst?

A lot of coaches sell the school and not themselves...so perhaps he just continued telling kids that Utah was the place they needed to be and made no promises that he'd still be around.

Koenning, for instance, told Will Coleman after he left that State was still the best place for him. He never lied during the process. Perhaps Brian Johnson took a similar approach.

MafiaDawg
02-07-2014, 02:31 PM
It just seem we are on the wrong end of these changes more often than not (ex Diaz koenning etc) I guess I want what's best for State and think having him on our staff for the last month would have been good.

smootness
02-07-2014, 02:32 PM

Yeah, that one could be interesting. I felt really, really good about an early commitment from him, but I guess the Texas guys think Koenning will make the difference in him going there. Or maybe Koenning going to Texas just meant that they now will offer and the Texas guys assume that because they offered, they'll get him.

It'll be interesting to read his next interview. Hopefully he still loves State because that guy is a potential STUD.

AFDawg
02-07-2014, 02:33 PM
Plus, it's not clear he's actually been hired. He didn't know if he was leaving or not.

smootness
02-07-2014, 02:33 PM
It just seem we are on the wrong end of these changes more often than not (ex Wilson koenning etc) I guess I want what's best for State and think having him on our staff for the last month would have been good.

Like engie said, I don't think it would have changed much. Fitzgerald and Staley were obviously coming to State no matter what, and Mullen said he made sure both of them were fine even without a QB coach.

And I doubt Johnson could have had a ton of effect on guys at other positions with so little time.

defiantdog
02-07-2014, 03:08 PM
Yeah, that one could be interesting. I felt really, really good about an early commitment from him, but I guess the Texas guys think Koenning will make the difference in him going there. Or maybe Koenning going to Texas just meant that they now will offer and the Texas guys assume that because they offered, they'll get him.

It'll be interesting to read his next interview. Hopefully he still loves State because that guy is a potential STUD.
Not to worried about Texas on this one.... they usually don't start qb's that arent from the state of Texas. I can only think of Chris Simms as the last one to start for Texas outside of the state of Texas.... and he still shared playing time.