PDA

View Full Version : Dead Period Discussion: What our Athletic Department can do to improve our pregame

Lloyd Christmas
02-07-2014, 10:14 AM
What can our Athletic Department can do to improve our pregame performance? This could include in game stuff as well.

My first suggestion would be to push a change of our kickoff chant. As fun as it is to hear this spouted off in 5 seconds: MaroonWhiteFighFightFightMississippiStateWooYouDam nRight!

This obviously needs to be changed to HAAAAAAAIIILLLLL STATE!

I suggested something similar to Scott Stricklin about a first down chant and his reponse was basically: "Well I'm a big ****** and the SEC told us not to be cheerleaders."

bulldawg28
02-07-2014, 10:17 AM
We need a better game atmosphere instead of commercials.

Lloyd Christmas
02-07-2014, 10:21 AM
We need a better game atmosphere instead of commercials.

This is already being taken care of. Hopefully...

mstatefan91
02-07-2014, 10:22 AM
Nope. Will not get on board with messing with any of our chant traditions. The kickoff chant will stay the same.

Technically, they have a first down "Hail State" cheer but nobody knows about it besides the students and the students aren't really going along with it.

Lloyd Christmas
02-07-2014, 10:32 AM
Nope. Will not get on board with messing with any of our chant traditions. The kickoff chant will stay the same.

Technically, they have a first down "Hail State" cheer but nobody knows about it besides the students and the students aren't really going along with it.

Nobody knows about it for two reasons:

1. Our PA announcer is ****ing awful.
2. Scott "Fat ******" Stricklin doesn't want to step on any toes at the SEC front office by being a "cheerleader"
3. I firmly disagree on the kickoff chant. It's an absolute cluster****.

mstatefan91
02-07-2014, 10:34 AM

2. Scott "Fat ******" Stricklin doesn't want to step on any toes at the SEC front office by being a "cheerleader"
Yet it's the tradition and sometimes things just need to stay the same.

Anyway, on the topic of things that need to change.

Commercials. Just please get rid of all the commercials somehow. I know we have sponsors that are promised air time but there has to be another way.

WeWonItAll(Most)
02-07-2014, 10:48 AM
Get the "we're gonna beat the hell out of you" cheer synchronized.

Goat Holder
02-07-2014, 10:51 AM
Scott "Fat ******" Stricklin doesn't want to step on any toes at the SEC front office by being a "cheerleader"

Agenda much?

mstatefan91
02-07-2014, 10:54 AM

Would be nice. Idk why/how the student section gets 5 beats ahead of everybody else.

Lloyd Christmas
02-07-2014, 10:55 AM
Agenda much?

I don't know if you're implying that I personally have an agenda but I can assure you I do not. If I had one it would be for Scott Stricklin to grow some balls at some point. His predecessor had them.

Lloyd Christmas
02-07-2014, 11:02 AM
Would be nice. Idk why/how the student section gets 5 beats ahead of everybody else.

Yea it seems to be a race for the student body.

drummerdawg
02-07-2014, 11:09 AM

I think it also needs a name. And a better way of starting it when the band is not involved.

DawgInMemphis
02-07-2014, 11:10 AM

Good luck with that. We can't even get in sync on the "Go (one measure) State (two measures) Go State!" chant. People Just can't wait to yell that second "Go State!" It drives me bonkers.

Goat Holder
02-07-2014, 11:10 AM
I don't know if you're implying that I personally have an agenda but I can assure you I do not. If I had one it would be for Scott Stricklin to grow some balls at some point. His predecessor had them.

Of course I am. But at least you admit it, I'll give you that. Stricklin is doing exactly what he should be doing right now. Believe it or not, this isn't a bad time for MSU to be in tight with the SEC. You do things slowly, to make the most difference. Byrne pushed the envelope, Stricklin is evening the ship. The time will come where we need to rock the boat again, but now is not it.

Lloyd Christmas
02-07-2014, 11:23 AM
Of course I am. But at least you admit it, I'll give you that. Stricklin is doing exactly what he should be doing right now. Believe it or not, this isn't a bad time for MSU to be in tight with the SEC. You do things slowly, to make the most difference. Byrne pushed the envelope, Stricklin is evening the ship. The time will come where we need to rock the boat again, but now is not it.

I partially agree. I feel like he has done a poor job to improve in game atmosphere, and using excuses like "well the SEC says bla bla bla" is just a cop out. There are creative ways to get around this. For instance, I remember when Mississippi came out with that promo video for all their new cheers. Granted, not all of them stuck but some did. We need to do something similar. But knowing our media department it would be half assed and filmed with a camera phone.

Bert Stare
02-07-2014, 11:48 AM
If I could change just one thing, and one thing only about the pregame. It would be the "Bad to the bone" song being played as the players come out. Sure, it was great in the late 80's early 90's, but that song if ****ing terrible, and its damn near embarrassing to use as the 'run on the field' song.

I seriously cringe when I hear it played. Makes my brain think I am about to watch a Rocky Felker coached team come running onto the field.

drummerdawg
02-07-2014, 11:52 AM
If I could change just one thing, and one thing only about the pregame. It would be the "Bad to the bone" song being played as the players come out. Sure, it was great in the late 80's early 90's, but that song if ****ing terrible, and its damn near embarrassing to use as the 'run on the field' song.

I seriously cringe when I hear it played. Makes my brain think I am about to watch a Rocky Felker coached team come running onto the field.

I love it when they play that song. Players don't run out to it, bully does.

BeastMan
02-07-2014, 11:52 AM
I have an unreal idea that I'm mailing to out AD. It is only practical for 1 big game. Would be epic

mic
02-07-2014, 11:53 AM
out of all the PA guys in the SEC that I have heard we have by far the worse.. and its not even close
Hire the guy that did the Liberty Bowl.. he was neutral and was still 100x better than what we have..

TheRef
02-07-2014, 11:55 AM
out of all the PA guys in the SEC that I have heard we have by far the worse.. and its not even close
Hire the guy that did the Liberty Bowl.. he was neutral and was still 100x better than what we have..

I'm sure it won't be hard to hire him away from U of Memphis.

FlabLoser
02-07-2014, 11:58 AM
A couple years ago, I lobbied the cheerleading staff to put in "THIS IS"....."OUR STATE" done in the same way that we do MAROON...WHITE. They told me they liked the idea. Never happened though. Would be epic if we did that.

GreaterCowbell
02-07-2014, 12:05 PM
I would like to see the whole mayhem and juice points thing incorporated into the game.

Basically every time someone of defense gets a turnover, sack, or pick six the Tron would do a replay with this song playing :http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h8nIHZ-0kS4 (the chorus near the end of the song ). Then at the end of the replay have a headshot of the player, with their updated juice point total. Maybe even a fade in of "mayhem" from the allstate commercial smiling and shaking his head in approval.

I think this would motivate the hell out of players on the defense to be the "Juice Points" leader at the end of the year.

Anyway that's what I got.

J-Dawg
02-07-2014, 12:23 PM

No one goes with it because it's the exact same thing our rivals do when they make a first down, basically. Looks like a ripoff.

bluelightstar
02-07-2014, 12:27 PM
No one goes with it because it's the exact same thing our rivals do when they make a first down, basically. Looks like a ripoff.

In fairness, it's what many schools do. I know for sure, there's "First Down Alabama. ROLL TIDE." and "First Down. OLE MISS." I think the "Hail State" after a first down is good, but it really HAS to be played up more. People stop doing it when there's only one section of the student section that even remembers to.

Second, the most infuriating thing literally has to be the speeding up of the "We're gonna beat the hell out of you." It's inexplicable, I don't know how it happens. It only started about 2011 or 2012, because it was definitely done right the first few years I was a student. The band has changed places since then, so I don't think it's the positioning of the band that speeds up the student section. Might just lack rhythm. The endzone student section typically got it right.

Lloyd Christmas
02-07-2014, 12:29 PM

This just in, there are alot of teams that do first down chants. Not just Mississippi

Lloyd Christmas
02-07-2014, 12:31 PM
Second, the most infuriating thing literally has to be the speeding up of the "We're gonna beat the hell out of you." It's inexplicable

Agreed all day. Our students go full retard on that chant.

Goat Holder
02-07-2014, 12:33 PM
There is no real replacement for real energy. THAT is what truly makes the atmosphere. People and energy. It is the summation of the state of the team, players and fans together. And it never lies. In 2009 and 2010 we had it. It started waning in 2011, dipped again in 2012, then has started to rise in 2013. Now, it's nowhere near rock bottom, I mean we're still winning and fans are showing up. The emotion started coming back at the end of this year. I fully expect it to be at 2009/2010 levels next season, no matter how many commercials they play.

But, sure, I'd also like to see a sequence for our games that becomes tradition. One guy mentioned 'Bad to the Bone' being terrible, I don't think so. I used to like when Bully rode out with the cheerleaders and beat up the other mascot. I think we should do that after the band lines up and does the Hey song or whatever, then do the True Maroon video with whatever MSU celebrity, followed by a video like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vtfxVVxgrko. Obviously we would have to update it, music and everything. We've got plenty of footage now after last year, CWS and the football season.

Then, with the teams on the field, I would like something like this right before kickoff: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pJHL-hZOqnQ. I'm talking more about the video, then we could replace 'Sandstorm' with 'Who Let the Dawgs Out', and I mean the Chuck Smooth version, not the terrible Baha Men version. Obviously the team would do the DPR, but damnit, but some feeling in it. And we should only do it for big games at night.

I also liked another poster's idea of replacing ".....you damn right...." with "Hail State". Damn right sounds like we're trying to hard to be cool and cuss. I've never liked it.

J-Dawg
02-07-2014, 12:53 PM
This just in, there are alot of teams that do first down chants. Not just Mississippi

This just in...... you are right. So we should do it too, then, right?!?

I don't care one way or another. I want us to do something unique that separates us from the crowd..... like our cowbells. We need more UNIQUE traditions.

bluelightstar
02-07-2014, 12:55 PM
I also liked another poster's idea of replacing ".....you damn right...." with "Hail State". Damn right sounds like we're trying to hard to be cool and cuss. I've never liked it.

Maroon, White, Fight fight fight...Mississippi State WHOO Hail State??

drummerdawg
02-07-2014, 01:08 PM
I haven't been a big fan of the true maroon videos, they're kinda dull and nothing exciting comes after it. That's our version of the ole miss celebrity are you ready video. The difference is they go into the hotty toddy cheer and get loud. After our video ends with "I'm true maroon are you?" Its not exciting and kinda awkwardly quiet. Maybe we could get them instead to say something like " I'm so and so, and I need more Cowbell!" And get the crowd ringing the hell out of the bells.

DawgHouseUnited
02-07-2014, 03:10 PM

Just replace it with "That's right." I do that, since I try not to curse. "Hail State" doesn't really rhyme with "fight fight fight."

BeardoMSU
02-07-2014, 03:16 PM
since I try not to curse.

http://pokerfraudalert.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=2759&d=1343799061