PDA

View Full Version : Ole Miss seemed to leave out a recruit

Big4Dawg
02-06-2014, 03:08 PM
http://www.gainesville.com/article/20140205/ARTICLES/140209757/1109/sports?p=2&tc=pg#gsc.tab=0

In Lake City, three players signed scholarships with wide receiver Alex Weber following his brother, offensive line standout Laremy Tunsil, to Ole Miss, offensive lineman Deontae Crumitie signing with Alabama-Birmingham, and punter/kicker Brayden Thomas inking with Air Force.

If I am going to walk-on to the team, may I sign a National Letter of Intent?
No. Under the terms of the National Letter of Intent Program, an institution is strictly prohibited from allowing you to sign a National Letter of Intent if you are a walk-on. In order for a National Letter of Intent it be consider valid, the National Letter of Intent must be accompanied by an athletic award letter which lists the terms and conditions of the award, including the amount and duration of the financial aid. Simply put, there has to be an award including athletics aid for there to be a valid National Letter of Intent.
http://www.varsityedge.com/nei/varsity.nsf/main/national+letter+of+intent

You would think Ole Miss would want to include another one of their prize recruits?

chef dixon
02-06-2014, 03:11 PM
He probably had a ceremony to sign papers for a "Leadership Scholarship."

Coach34
02-06-2014, 03:32 PM
Tunsil was worth it provided he toughens up. He's a talented fat boy

BeastMan
02-06-2014, 03:40 PM
It was 100% worth it but he may have been left off because he would hurt their final ranking and being in the top 15 means the world to them.

ETA- Their current 247 composite team ranking is 16. Alex Weber (http://247sports.com/Player/Alex-Weber-30627) is a 76 2-star. Using the team calculator, adding him only changes a few percentage points and they would stay at 16. Adding Weber and removing Law (with all that NLI drama), they still stay at 16. Removing both, they are still at 16. Long story short, they are at 16 no matter how you slice it so leaving off Weber is not to help recruiting rankings. The only way this class would really drop is if Law goes to Utah and Tee Shepard has no shot at qualifying as they previously said. That would drop them to 19. In a nutshell, they are a top 20 but not a top 15 class not matter how you slice it. IMO none of that really matters at all (16th-19th).

Political Hack
02-06-2014, 04:11 PM
It was 100% worth it but he may have been left off because he would hurt their final ranking and being in the top 15 means the world to them.

ETA- Their current 247 composite team ranking is 16. Alex Weber (http://247sports.com/Player/Alex-Weber-30627) is a 76 2-star. Using the team calculator, adding him only changes a few percentage points and they would stay at 16. Adding Weber and removing Law (with all that NLI drama), they still stay at 16. Removing both, they are still at 16. Long story short, they are at 16 no matter how you slice it so leaving off Weber is not to help recruiting rankings. The only way this class would really drop is if Law goes to Utah and Tee Shepard has no shot at qualifying as they previously said. That would drop them to 19. In a nutshell, they are a top 20 but not a top 15 class not matter how you slice it. IMO none of that really matters at all (16th-19th).

thats a lot of good analysis that doesn't matter one bit... but I enjoyed it.

EAVdog
02-06-2014, 04:37 PM
thats a lot of good analysis that doesn't matter one bit... but I enjoyed it.

Points out he wasn't left off the list because of recruiting rankings. They left him off not to attract any attention from the UGA crowd.

PassInterference
02-06-2014, 04:51 PM
You would think Ole Miss would want to include another one of their prize recruits?

Bullshit. Laremy Tunsil's little brother is of no use to them. They only croot stars and players with contacts to future stars. And when the future stars sign, they cut the stepping stone croots. (Denzel better be glad he was worth a shit)

Ole Miss doesn't give two shits about Laremy Tunsil's little brother.

Madkinmecrazy
02-06-2014, 07:47 PM
I remembered something about this, had to do some searching on the interwebs to find it.

Here's a quote from the ESPN article linked below, written about OMs class last year concerning how the bears landed Tunsil.

"But sources familiar with Tunsil's recruitment did confirm to ESPN.com that the Rebels have offered a scholarship to his younger brother, Alex Weber, a lightly regarded junior receiver at Columbia High in Lake City, Fla. The Rebels offering Weber a scholarship isn't a violation of NCAA rules. He wasn't included among a list of 232 wide receiver prospects in Florida for the 2014 recruiting cycle."

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/8923263/ole-miss-rebels-coach-hugh-freeze-hear-rumors-facts-college-football

Kid wasn't even top ~250 in Florida last year. He wasn't even good enough to get an actual photo on on 24/7.

Definite package deal. Strange that I am unable to find anywhere that he actually signed with Ole Miss yesterday except that article though. Definitely weird.

whosyourdawgy
02-06-2014, 09:01 PM
So did he sign or not?

Madkinmecrazy
02-06-2014, 09:09 PM
I can't tell... Kellenberger wrote an article yesterday saying he was on OM's campus last weekend, but in the article said it wasn't clear whether he would be a walk-on or a scholly player.

OM still isn't listing him as a signee, leading me to believe he's walking on - even though he got an offer last year.

Dawg61
02-06-2014, 09:38 PM
They also recruit any player Mullen recruits. So it's 1. Stars 2. family/friends of stars 3. Mullen's recruits. That's it. They are unable to identify any other players on their own. They have to piggy back little bro and try to steal his. Ole Miss is pathetic.

Madkinmecrazy
02-06-2014, 09:47 PM
They also recruit any player Mullen recruits. So it's 1. Stars 2. family/friends of stars 3. Mullen's recruits. That's it. They are unable to identify any other players on their own. They have to piggy back little bro and try to steal his. Ole Miss is pathetic.

I'm going to try and hold my tongue here.... but the whole "Freeze only recruits Mullen's players and stars" thing really grinds my gears. This is the kind of thing our friends to the north point to with the bullshit little brother thing. Freeze might want to steal our guys for publicity, but it isn't because he can't ID talent without Mullen's help. He's a ******* college football coach with a full staff of football coaches. He is fully capable of identifying at least some talent without the help of Mullen and Scout.com (although his ability to coach that talent on gameday is far below average). Bucky can recruit - I hate it and I have no idea what lies he puts in these kids heads, but the man can recruit.

Anyway, I made my (unpopular) point yesterday. I'll leave this one alone from here on out, or at least try to.

JDog13
02-06-2014, 10:03 PM
I'm going to try and hold my tongue here.... but the whole "Freeze only recruits Mullen's players and stars" thing really grinds my gears. This is the kind of thing our friends to the north point to with the bullshit little brother thing. Freeze might want to steal our guys for publicity, but it isn't because he can't ID talent without Mullen's help. He's a ******* college football coach with a full staff of football coaches. He is fully capable of identifying at least some talent without the help of Mullen and Scout.com (although his ability to coach that talent on gameday is far below average). Bucky can recruit - I hate it and I have no idea what lies he puts in these kids heads, but the man can recruit.

Anyway, I made my (unpopular) point yesterday. I'll leave this one alone from here on out, or at least try to.

FlabLoser
02-06-2014, 10:06 PM

Dawg61 exaggerates some. But I do think guys Mullen is on raises flags for Freeze to check them out.

I don't buy that Freeze is a good talent evaluator. Prove me wrong here. Name 4 2-star guys they've had that turned out to be draft picks.

Dawg61
02-06-2014, 10:26 PM

Hook, line and sinker

Madkinmecrazy
02-06-2014, 11:00 PM
Dawg61 exaggerates some. But I do think guys Mullen is on raises flags for Freeze to check them out.

I don't buy that Freeze is a good talent evaluator. Prove me wrong here. Name 4 2-star guys they've had that turned out to be draft picks.

Considering that Freeze has been there for 2 years, that isn't even physically possible.

Dawg61
02-06-2014, 11:23 PM
Considering that Freeze has been there for 2 years, that isn't even physically possible.

Was he not the head coach at Arkansas State too? Does the NFL not draft players from the Sun Belt now? Bear troll gonna Bear troll.

Madkinmecrazy
02-06-2014, 11:45 PM
Was he not the head coach at Arkansas State too? Does the NFL not draft players from the Sun Belt now? Bear troll gonna Bear troll.

I'm embarrassed that I'm actually dignifying this with a response, but I believe that he was at ASU for one year. The guys he recruited would be rising seniors.

I see your (and flab's) point. But 2 stars that turn into draft picks usually have more to do with player development than talent id (and I'm skeptical of freezus's dev skills - if they are anything like his in game skills than we shouldn't be worried). And just because someone is a 3 star that doesn't necessarily mean than anyone who recruits the player is only chasing stars. A coach can identify talent in players that others happen to recognize as talented.

That said, Mullen certainly has a track record of turning the "diamonds in the rough" into great players (which Nutt couldn't do, and Freeze hasn't done). To be honest, I'm not close enough to the situation to know if that is a product of him being a superior talent evaluator or an excellent player developer. I think it's a little of both, but I think Mullen's player development skills are what has really made him successful.

Willn1
02-07-2014, 08:01 AM
Chris Jones was in Freeze's back yard. He had been to one of their camps. If you can't identify the 2nd best player in the country (according to 247) then you probably are not that good at judging talent.

fishwater99
02-07-2014, 09:28 AM
Chris Jones was in Freeze's back yard. He had been to one of their camps. If you can't identify the 2nd best player in the country (according to 247) then you probably are not that good at judging talent.

Boom.......