PDA

View Full Version : Crootin 2014: Way Too Early Preview

War Machine Dawg
02-06-2014, 03:04 PM
Gents, I've got the way too early Play/RS look up at FWTCT (http://www.forwhomthecowbelltolls.com/2014/2/6/5386626/crootin-2014-way-too-early-preview-wmd-dan-mullen-msu-bulldawgs). Feel free to take a look. Agree, disagree, let's talk 2014 croots.

defiantdog
02-06-2014, 03:23 PM
Great article.... Dontavian Lee is a definite redshirt but I see him being switched to defense because of our depth at RB. Also, knowing our track record with redshirting RB's.... I can almost guarantee Aeris Williams will play next year taking in a total of 20 reps all season (Shumpert 2.0). Don't be suprised to see Cory Thomas play next year. There is a reason he fell into our laps.... TENN signed 100 recruits and Clemson would definitely redshirt him. This guy wants to play immediately. Durr and Bryant may be hitting the JUCO ranks for a year or two.

But looking at this class, most of these guys will RS. This was a tough year to recruit because of all of our returning starters on the team. 2015 will be a lot easier to guarantee playing time.

Coach34
02-06-2014, 03:26 PM
Good write up and I agree with most. The Staley/Fitz competition should be interesting. Both are better runners than Williams- so he better get his shit together and keep getting better as well. Best group of QB's in MSU history

Green is very talented with alot of talent ahead of him. One thing I thought about this morning is with McKinney leaving after next season- I'm leaning that Green plays- provided he is healthy. He wont play much, but gives us a good athlete on ST coverage units

Hard for me to see burning a redshirt on Thomas when he literally wont get reps in SEC games. Too many bodies ahead of him.

Coach34
02-06-2014, 03:29 PM
Don't be suprised to see Cory Thomas play next year. There is a reason he fell into our laps.... TENN signed 100 recruits and Clemson would definitely redshirt him. This guy wants to play immediately.

After 4 weeks of August practice when he sees the guys ahead of him- he may certainly change his mind.

defiantdog
02-06-2014, 03:39 PM
Good write up and I agree with most. The Staley/Fitz competition should be interesting. Both are better runners than Williams- so he better get his shit together and keep getting better as well. Best group of QB's in MSU history

Green is very talented with alot of talent ahead of him. One thing I thought about this morning is with McKinney leaving after next season- I'm leaning that Green plays- provided he is healthy. He wont play much, but gives us a good athlete on ST coverage units

Hard for me to see burning a redshirt on Thomas when he literally wont get reps in SEC games. Too many bodies ahead of him.

Isn't Green more of a OLB? Or do you think Collins moves him inside to rotate with R. Brown after McKinney leaves? We are stacked and young on the outside especially with D. Arrington and Q. Antoine moving to LB.

Goat Holder
02-06-2014, 04:02 PM
If he hadn't been injured, I think he might've played. But I don't see it now unless he just blows everybody away.

Goat Holder
02-06-2014, 04:05 PM
There is a reason he fell into our laps.... TENN signed 100 recruits and Clemson would definitely redshirt him. This guy wants to play immediately.

Guy didn't fall into our laps. Our coaches absolutely got after it recruiting him. He was a HELL of a pull, and it's 'lil ole msu' thinking to say that we only got him because others would redshirt him. F*ck that, he chose to come to MSU. We beat UT and Clempson. I'll be the first to admit I didn't see it coming, but I was dead wrong.

Durr and Bryant may be hitting the JUCO ranks for a year or two.

I agree, I've heard the same. Same with the OL from Georgia.

War Machine Dawg
02-06-2014, 04:45 PM
Guy didn't fall into our laps. Our coaches absolutely got after it recruiting him. He was a HELL of a pull, and it's 'lil ole msu' thinking to say that we only got him because others would redshirt him. F*ck that, he chose to come to MSU. We beat UT and Clempson. I'll be the first to admit I didn't see it coming, but I was dead wrong.

I agree, I've heard the same. Same with the OL from Georgia.

On this, we agree. Our staff did a helluva job to get Thomas and get him to fall in love with Our State.

Really hope you're wrong on J Harris. Love me some Jawja players. They're usually polished players who are ready to contribute quickly. Some of our best players in MSU history have been from Jawja: Tim Nelson, Eric Brown, Greg Favors, Robert Hicks, Jamar Chaney, etc.

War Machine Dawg
02-06-2014, 04:50 PM

Completely agree about both Green & Thomas. Like I said, I wouldn't be surprised if Green at least finds his way into some ST reps.

As for Thomas, he'll be a helluva player for us. It just won't be next year. There are literally 6 quality players at DT ahead of him. I think the absolute best he could do is DT4 ahead of Virges and Adams. And if Virges would pull his head out of his ass, he'd be a damn beast. Shit, he was Freshman All-SEC just 2 years ago. But back to Thomas, there's no point in burning his shirt with that many capable bodies in front of him. RS him, let him develop. It's nice to have the luxury to be able to do that in the trenches for a change.

War Machine Dawg
02-06-2014, 04:52 PM
Isn't Green more of a OLB? Or do you think Collins moves him inside to rotate with R. Brown after McKinney leaves? We are stacked and young on the outside especially with D. Arrington and Q. Antoine moving to LB.

Nah, Green will play MLB. He's big, physical, and has good instincts. You put him in the middle every time. Cooper is an OLB. Interested to see if he can bulk up a little and maintain his speed. Seems like he's a bit of a tweener.

Coach34
02-06-2014, 04:54 PM

Today's 4-3 defenses have basically morphed into a basic 4-2-5 type of defense because of all the passing and Spread offenses. No longer can you play 3 legitimate LB's at the same time. You are basically playing with 2 inside LB's- McKinney and Bennie- and then a hybrid LB/SS guy as your 3rd LB- Wells. I think Green is more in the mold of a Brown or McKinney than he is a Wells type. He is listed at 230 right now- his ass aint gonna be bumping outside to match-up with slot WR's at 230 lbs. He is going to have to get inside and mix it up with the big boys.

bully99
02-06-2014, 06:14 PM
Didn't Mullen say yesterday that several may not qualify. That's the damn problem in this state, too many with bad grades.

Coach34
02-06-2014, 06:22 PM
Didn't Mullen say yesterday that several may not qualify. That's the damn problem in this state, too many with bad grades.

waiting to see if Bryant, Graham, and Durr make it. Durr isnt likely, Bryant and Graham have good chances

HancockCountyDog
02-06-2014, 06:30 PM
After 4 weeks of August practice when he sees the guys ahead of him- he may certainly change his mind.

I hope like hell we redshirt him. There is no reason to play him next season. We have a ton of senior depth on the DL. Jones, Eulls, Virges, along with Chris Jones and Jordan Washington who will be sophomores. I would rather redshirt and start buidling our DL for the 2015 season.

Goat Holder
02-06-2014, 07:07 PM
That's why we have JUCO.

War Machine Dawg
02-06-2014, 10:39 PM
Dontavian Lee is a definite redshirt but I see him being switched to defense because of our depth at RB.

Wouldn't be shocked at all to see that happen. Especially when the 2015 class is supposed to be hella loaded. Lee has prototype safety size and speed, so he could be a big boost for a thin unit. The only question I'd have is does he like contact and like to hit. I would assume the answer is yes, but you never really know. It's certainly a move I could get behind.