PDA

View Full Version : OT: Summer internship cities

DudyDawg
02-06-2014, 01:45 PM
Ok, so I have the oppourtunity to work for some places for a summer internship in cities I've never been to and need some opinions from people who have. Here are my options:
Boston Bruins/ TD Garden; Houston texans/reliant stadium; Houston Dynamo; Columbus Blue Jackets; Washington Redskins; University of Texas. Any insight helps.

CJDAWG85
02-06-2014, 01:51 PM
Boston

HereComesTheSpiral
02-06-2014, 01:59 PM
What do you like doing in your free time?

I would go with Austin

Joe Schmedlap
02-06-2014, 02:02 PM
Boston all the way. Austin is f'n 1000 degrees in the summer.

messageboardsuperhero
02-06-2014, 02:47 PM
Boston x1000.

If I had to chose another one, Washington.

DawgInMemphis
02-06-2014, 02:57 PM
Austin is a great city with TONS of talent... if you can stomach all the burnt orange. Great music scene.

D.C. is also an interesting place with a lot to do.

Never been to Boston.

Raytoraid83
02-06-2014, 03:04 PM
I don't know if you want to handle being seperated by distance from the south, but Boston would be a great experience

dickiedawg
02-06-2014, 03:18 PM
I believe I'd be headed to Boston, as well. Though DC and Austin wouldn't be bad choices.

cpilkenton
02-06-2014, 03:19 PM
Ok, so I have the oppourtunity to work for some places for a summer internship in cities I've never been to and need some opinions from people who have. Here are my options:
Boston Bruins/ TD Garden; Houston texans/reliant stadium; Houston Dynamo; Columbus Blue Jackets; Washington Redskins; University of Texas. Any insight helps.

I live in DC and used to live near Austin. Having said that, I'd do Austin. I like DC and it's nice to live here, but for a college kid, it's an easy choice on Austin.

Jack Lambert
02-06-2014, 03:30 PM
Boston

Going to hitch a ride.

desotodawg
02-06-2014, 03:44 PM
Depends on what you like to do ... Boston is a good choice. Close to beaches Hyannis/Cape Cod/Maine. 3 hour drive and your in the mountains of New Hampshire and Main where you can hike and camp. 3.5 hours from NYC. 5 hours from Montreal 6.5 from Quebec City. Drive to Portlan ME and catch an over night ferry to Nova Scotia. So you could do a lot of traveling.

If you want co-eds and music clubs etc, Austin is the place.

bgdog
02-06-2014, 03:57 PM
DC is a blast. Nats games are great in the summer, In the summer DC is basically taken over by interns looking to party so that's fun if you're an intern. If you are 25 or older it can be annoying

starkvegasdawg
02-06-2014, 04:06 PM
I was in Boston one time and it was after my flight out of Denver at 7:00 AM was cancelled due to subzero weather. Spent 13 hours in the Denver airport to catch a non-stop to Boston. Arrived in Boston just before midnight to it pouring down rain, no rental car, and my luggage lost...again. Still had to get to Nashua, NH, where my motel reservation was. Made the airline buy me a cab ride to Nashua, NH, where my origial flight was to land to get my rental car and hopefully my luggage. Got there to find my luggage was not there and my rental car counter closed 20 minutes before I arrived. It is now 2:30AM and I've been awake for almost 24 hours straight. Go to the Hertz counter, get a car and finally make my motel room around 3:30AM. All that to say the northeast does not have my fondest memories but I was there in less than ideal circumstances. I will say that my rental car was the first vehicle I had ever driven with a GPS in it and on my way back from Maine where I had a fresh lobster and a beer or seven I was cruising back on the interstate in my own little world happily buzzed. Forgot I had the GPS on and almost had a wreck when this woman's voice came out of nowhere telling me my exit was coming up.

dawgs
02-06-2014, 04:08 PM
Austin would be awesome, but hot as shit and no pro baseball.

Boston would be the best summer weather and lots to see/do along with Red Sox games (though they are expensive for an intern), plenty of college kids all around the area.

DC would be cool for a college kid too. Tons of college aged interns in the summer all over the city. Nats games (which are much cheaper for an intern salary). Easy to get around without a car.

Houston would be last. Hot as ****, not as cool as Austin. Not as much public transportation if you don't have a car. Shittier baseball.

Political Hack
02-06-2014, 04:16 PM
Depending on the nature of the job you should probably pick by sport and your end goal... not by city. you could potentially score a full time job out of this and then you'll likely move elsewhere after taking another similar job in your field.

Working at the university level vs a pro team is very different. one can be a govt employee and one is private sector.

And if you choose anything else besides the Bruins, Skins, UT, or Texans I'm going to drive to wherever you are and slap you. Working for the Skins would be a damn bogies resume builder though and intern season in DC is money.

dparker
02-06-2014, 04:25 PM
Boston all the way. It's a great town and if you're just interning it will be for a short while and give you a totally different cultural experience than the South.

TexasDawg
02-06-2014, 04:27 PM
I don't know if you want to handle being seperated by distance from the south, but Boston would be a great experience

I would want to be united in the bond of the south so either Houston or Austin

J-Dawg
02-06-2014, 04:27 PM
Boston in the summer would probably be awesome.

RossDawg82
02-06-2014, 05:36 PM
I loved Reliant stadium when I was there for the OK State/ MSU. Houston is a blast as well.

Bothrops
02-07-2014, 06:45 PM
I don't consider any big city in Texas as 'southern' because they're not. Maybe 30 years ago but not today. Never been to Austin but I like being by the sea. Massachusetts has some beautiful coastline and Boston is very culturally diverse. Houston is also diverse and has lots and lots of talent. A public mass transit system is in the works but still a ways to go. The DC area has lots of young talent, lots of intellectual progressive types. They are more independent and assertive than women in the deep south and generally aren't concerned about their reputation. DC is also a museum mecca and not far from Virginia Beach.

chainedup_Dawg
02-09-2014, 01:22 AM
Austin, period. One of, if not the best cities I've ever been to. The music, bar, and all around city are awesome. The heat is nothing compared to MS. Its a dry heat where the wind blows almost constant. Clean and more than enough to do. Boston would be a close second but I hate the cold and hated having to pack sugar packets in order to have partially sweet tea.