PDA

View Full Version : ESPNU saying Tennessee signed 37 players

Dawg61
02-06-2014, 09:08 AM
37 players!! 12 more than what Slive and the SEC says was no longer allowed. There's blatantly breaking a rule and then there's defecating on the rule book in front of all of us. Mike Slive needs to lay the hammer down on Butch Jones and Tennessee. What's a fair punishment? I say they can only sign 13 next year and they must pay a huge fine this year that gets disbursed through the other 13 universities. Quit cheating Tennessee.

starkvegasdawg
02-06-2014, 09:28 AM
Every other school in this conference can cheat and its no big deal. The best we can hope for is that Redmond doesn't get suspended any more for TN oversigning. I did find this picture of the TN recruiting class posing for a picture:

AFDawg
02-06-2014, 09:30 AM
Their website only has 33. And per somebody yesterday--Todd4State?--the have a load they can count back to last year. I'll bet they're within the rule for 2014 signees.

Dawg61
02-06-2014, 09:56 AM
Kirk Herbstreit was making fun of them today for signing 37. ESPNU had a 5 minute discussion about it with 37 being said multiple times. I'm going with 37. Funny picture above btw

AFDawg
02-06-2014, 10:28 AM
From Jones's press conference:

(On how the high number of recruits signed worked out)
"It is very simple. I think it was really made too much out of, but all we were really able to do was count numbers backwards and count a couple of numbers forward. We had a plan when we came in here. I spoke about that recruiting profile. It helps that when we came here last year, not only for myself but also for the entire staff, it had been our third time taking over a program. We weren't going to comprise in anything in the recruiting profile. We did not use all of our scholarships last year. We were able to count those backwards because we knew that this was going to be a great recruiting year within our state of Tennessee and also throughout the course of the country. We were able to do that."

(On counting the numbers forward)
"Well sometimes an individual will delay their enrollment for a semester. Everything about today is celebrating everyone that is coming in. People made a big deal out of it, but it is really nothing. The SEC approves everything we do. It is a matter of where we are at in terms of the numbers plan that we have had in place for over a year."

http://www.utsports.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/020514aaw.html

Goat Holder
02-06-2014, 11:08 AM
This is not hard, I do not understand why so many of you keep making it hard. They are counting some guys backward to last year. They didn't break any rules.

Dawg61
02-06-2014, 06:15 PM
This is not hard, I do not understand why so many of you keep making it hard. They are counting some guys backward to last year. They didn't break any rules.

They did break the Nutt rule. You can't count back more than one year or you shouldn't be allowed to. I keep bringing it up because it's ridiculous and needs to be fixed/added to that rule. Count back one year fine but that's it. They signed 23 last year so 27 should be tops this year. Period. They've got depth issues. So ****ing what. It needs to hurt for more than one year to have depth issues. This isn't the NFL. Keep your players from getting dismissed or whatever the **** is the reason for your depth issues. Cry me a river Tennessee. They have NC banners, Peyton Manning pimping their school every weekend and billionaire boosters. We have to fight tooth and nail just to get 23 SEC players signed and it took us 5 seasons to build depth. We should get rewarded for that instead Tennessee cheapens how tough that is to do by being allowed to sign 37 errr I mean 32 players. **** that!

Political Hack
02-06-2014, 06:25 PM
they signed some back, 25 this year, and a few grey shirts for next year... which means they won't be able to enroll 25 signees in next year's class. To me, that works out really well considering the amount of talent in MS. With them not being able to sign as many, Vandy on the down tick, UK putting pressure on the states of Georgia and Florida, and the lack of focus by Bama and Auburn on the MS high school ranks this past season, I think we're in a great position to make several guys a two-way battle...

and as the great Les Keonning once said "kids won't get paid to go lose." Four. and. One.

TUSK
02-06-2014, 09:33 PM

GD, Goat, it's like we're "designin' wings for NASA"... peeps don't understand. your're right.

preachermatt83
02-06-2014, 09:43 PM
Counting people back... That's exactly what NUTT did that brought about the rule that you could only sign 25.. Jones is doing EXACTLY what NUTT did so the rule is in effect, rendered useless..

Dawg61
02-06-2014, 10:34 PM
Counting people back... That's exactly what NUTT did that brought about the rule that you could only sign 25.. Jones is doing EXACTLY what NUTT did so the rule is in effect, rendered useless..

Exactly!! The burden is on all of us to make sure Slive and the SEC enforce the rule. Butch Jones is being all cocky cause "we've done this exact same thing at 3 universities now" well this is the SEC brother this ain't Central Michigan or Cincinnati.