PDA

View Full Version : Way too early who plays and who RS for next season?

Dawg61
02-05-2014, 10:07 PM
I have no clue. Go

Coach34
02-05-2014, 10:17 PM
Only Freshmaan is Aeris Williams. Cory Thomas has an outside chance

War Machine Dawg
02-05-2014, 10:21 PM
Roq, Hutcherson, and Williams all play. Everyone else redshirts, barring something crazy. Agree that Thomas has an outside chance at PT, but would be surprised if he plays. We're plenty deep at DT with CJ, Eulls, James, Smith, Virges, and Adams. That's 6 guys that can viably play on the interior.

hailmari
02-05-2014, 10:22 PM
Logan Cooke- True freshman of the year for us.

MzTerry
02-05-2014, 10:24 PM
I have no clue. Go

I have no clue either, but this is fun.

Defense:

I think unless Jordan Washington and Nick James both have good offseasons and become "known entities" if you will, then we have to play at least two of the freshmen d-linemen. If Washington and James don't come on, then we will have to play all 3 to get them ready for the future. Our depth is old if James and Washington don't both pan out.

Green has to play. Will cooper be a LB or grow into DE? Some have him 6'2" some have him 6'4" does he qualify? Does he fill out quickly? Either way I see him as a redshirt, but he is extremely athletic.

At least one of the dbs will play - they always do, so it will either be Rayford, Bryant, Gray, or Durr (likely juco apparently). I think it will be Gray on special teams as I feel like he seems to be the most physically ready/least raw/lowest upside (thats just my opinion, I think he will be good, but I think Bryant and Rayford have serious upside) therefore not as much of a waste if he plays mostly special teams.

I think we MAY play either Graham or Jackson. I know Graham is slight of build and Jackson has been injured, but they are both big time playmakers. I say move Holloway to running back and let Graham get his wr snaps.

All jucos play.

Now that leaves Aeris Williams? Does he earn PT? & It always seems like there is one that we all think will redshirt, but doesn't. Who will it be?

deltadawg99
02-05-2014, 10:26 PM
Williams is the only lock amongst the high schoolers to play. Graham could play depending on how his summer goes. Jesse Jackson and Green had a chance before getting hurt.

This may be a reach but Nick Fitzgerald may play some if we do some wishbone looks next year . Yes it's a reach, but just saying.

esplanade91
I think one of the WR's pokes through. Jameon can't be our only slot receiver, and I wouldn't be surprised of Jackson takes Chappelle's or RoJo's job by the season's end.

MzTerry
Only Freshmaan is Aeris Williams. Cory Thomas has an outside chance

You don't think we need to start developing defensive linemen?

Gerri Green, Graham not the type of talent that has to see the field? I know Graham is small, but still.

esplanade91
02-05-2014, 10:29 PM
Williams is the only lock amongst the high schoolers to play. Graham could play depending on how his summer goes. Jesse Jackson and Green had a chance before getting hurt.

This may be a reach but Nick Fitzgerald may play some if we do some wishbone looks next year . Yes it's a reach, but just saying.

I think Fitz ends up being moved to TE or WR halfway though the season. I think they'll both redshirt, and hopefully we'll never have to go deeper from Williams. Williams is a Mack truck, so I can't see him getting hurt easily. Superman Ralph 2.0.

Apparently Jesse's injury is where it needs to be right now too. I know they'll promise the kid the moon but coaches seem to be optimistic about him being able to play. All depends on his ability to come in and compete.

Coach34
02-05-2014, 10:37 PM
You don't think we need to start developing defensive linemen?

Gerri Green, Graham not the type of talent that has to see the field? I know Graham is small, but still.

a) of course- and they will develop at practice while they redshirt

b) We have a full 2-deep at LB- where is Green gonna play? Especially coming off injury? Bennie and Richie Brown were 4-star guys also- and they redshirted. We didnt lose one single WR from last year's team. Where in the hell is Graham going to play?

Dawg61
02-05-2014, 10:37 PM
I like Holloway at WR even if he has no thumbs. He'd get destroyed at RB.

Coach34
02-05-2014, 10:39 PM
I think Fitz ends up being moved to TE or WR halfway though the season.

This literally has no chance of happening

cbrunt29
02-05-2014, 10:45 PM
Could Graham be a kick returner? Just a thought..

Coach34
02-05-2014, 10:46 PM
Could Graham be a kick returner? Just a thought..

In a couple of years...Mullen is unlikely to put a true Freshman back there

preachermatt83
02-05-2014, 10:49 PM
Logan Cooke- True freshman of the year for us.

why? Bell is not a bad punter and Cooke Is a punter, not a much of a kicker... according to his stat sheet he was 1 of 3 on FG's this yr.

smootness
02-05-2014, 10:51 PM
I'm pretty sure more than just Williams will play. We didn't need more CBs to play this year and Tolando Cleveland still saw some time. Someone will step up and get some playing time, even if mostly on special teams.

I'm guessing at least one among Brandon Bryant, Jamoral Graham, and Cory Thomas plays. Green, we'll see. I think he's good enough to see some time but we may think it's best to rest him a full year.

hailmari
02-05-2014, 10:54 PM
The thing with Jackson is we don't have to have him next year. Christy and Hammond redshirted and are similar style and size players. I'd like for him to fully heal and come in 2015 ready to pick up where Rojo left off.

MzTerry
02-05-2014, 10:57 PM
a) of course- and they will develop at practice while they redshirt

b) We have a full 2-deep at LB- where is Green gonna play? Especially coming off injury? Bennie and Richie Brown were 4-star guys also- and they redshirted. We didnt lose one single WR from last year's team. Where in the hell is Graham going to play?

You must have a better feeling about our DL depth than most. So you want our 2015 d-line to have Chris Jones and Nelson Adams as the only 2 sure-fire players with SEC playing time? We know nothing about Jordan Washington, and I don't think anyone can say for sure that Nick James will be here in 2015 or that he can play an entire game. I don't see how you can't play at least one freshman d-lineman.

I think Green and Dez Harris could back up Beni. MLB - McKinney, R. Brown. OLB - Wells, Jackson, Arrington all play the same side. OLB - B. Brown, Harris. Am I missing someone? Green got hurt a long time ago, and he is elite. You won't find a bigger fan of Richie Brown than I, but I think we have to play some of these guys this year to even out depth after only signing one linebacker last year.

Graham behind Jameon? Christy - outside, Hammond - TE/outside, Bear - outside, and didn't we have Fred Ross playing behind Robert Johson? Graham is as big or bigger than Holloway right now and he can catch.

esplanade91
02-05-2014, 10:57 PM
This literally has no chance of happening

Why? He was a high school WR and a solid one at that. I can't imagine we carry both of these signeees on scholarship through the same 5 years of eligibility BOTH at QB. Call it coach speak or trying to rile up a fanbase but Mullen basically said Staley was the QB of the future today, so where does that leave Fitz? With Gus maybe not coming back healthy, that's minus a TE. They're the same mold. There's some chance...

Coach34
02-05-2014, 10:58 PM
I'm pretty sure more than just Williams will play. We didn't need more CBs to play this year and Tolando Cleveland still saw some time. Someone will step up and get some playing time, even if mostly on special teams.

I'm guessing at least one among Brandon Bryant, Jamoral Graham, and Cory Thomas plays. Green, we'll see. I think he's good enough to see some time but we may think it's best to rest him a full year.

We had a big need for CB's to play. Redmond missed the first 5 games and Love was hurt a lot the first half of the season. Really hurt us with depth and nickel packages early on- especially with losing Hughes and Arrington also

chef dixon
02-05-2014, 11:00 PM
Jameon made me kinda nervous about punt returns. I guess he's our most reliable guy though since he's been doing it. Holloway seemed to have some potential. Anyone else? Didn't Redmond do a lot of this in high school?

Coach34
02-05-2014, 11:02 PM
Why? He was a high school WR and a solid one at that. I can't imagine we carry both of these signeees on scholarship through the same 5 years of eligibility BOTH at QB. Call it coach speak or trying to rile up a fanbase but Mullen basically said Staley was the QB of the future today, so where does that leave Fitz? With Gus maybe not coming back healthy, that's minus a TE. They're the same mold. There's some chance...

I look for Staley to get some time and Fitz to RS- that way they won't be in the same class. That will give us a QB in every class during the 2015 season- which is exactly what you want.

Fitz is not going to go down easy either. He made an impression during bowl practices

smootness
02-05-2014, 11:05 PM
We had a big need for CB's to play. Redmond missed the first 5 games and Love was hurt a lot the first half of the season. Really hurt us with depth and nickel packages early on- especially with losing Hughes and Arrington also

So are you saying Aeris Williams is the only one who will play...assuming we have 0 injuries?

esplanade91
02-05-2014, 11:13 PM
I look for Staley to get some time and Fitz to RS- that way they won't be in the same class. That will give us a QB in every class during the 2015 season- which is exactly what you want.

Fitz is not going to go down easy either. He made an impression during bowl practices

I've been thinking about that scenario too but I just don't see us playing Staley unless we absolutely have to. If he jumps Williams his true freshman season we're going to have the same problem we always have of kids transferring.

Great problem to have, I guess.

defiantdog
02-05-2014, 11:15 PM
I bet Cory Thomas gets thrown into the rotation on the DL next year.... he was pretty animate about early playing time when he was being recruited.

Dawg61
02-05-2014, 11:59 PM

I see it as the opposite actually. We'd be essentially wasting Staley's first 2 years and there's no guarantee he'll start over the senior Williams by his jr year. Unless we are worried about losing him to basketball he should RS next year and let Fitz be the 3rd string. With Ray I have zero worries of losing Staley to basketball permanently.

Coach34
02-06-2014, 12:10 AM
You must have a better feeling about our DL depth than most. So you want our 2015 d-line to have Chris Jones and Nelson Adams as the only 2 sure-fire players with SEC playing time? We know nothing about Jordan Washington, and I don't think anyone can say for sure that Nick James will be here in 2015 or that he can play an entire game. I don't see how you can't play at least one freshman d-lineman.

I think Green and Dez Harris could back up Beni. MLB - McKinney, R. Brown. OLB - Wells, Jackson, Arrington all play the same side. OLB - B. Brown, Harris. Am I missing someone? Green got hurt a long time ago, and he is elite. You won't find a bigger fan of Richie Brown than I, but I think we have to play some of these guys this year to even out depth after only signing one linebacker last year.

Graham behind Jameon? Christy - outside, Hammond - TE/outside, Bear - outside, and didn't we have Fred Ross playing behind Robert Johson? Graham is as big or bigger than Holloway right now and he can catch.

on the DL- I said Thomas could possibly get some time. But the problem is that we have Jones, Eulls, PJ, and Nick James there. Plus others. How many legitimate snaps could he get to justify burning that redshirt? That's a big damn crowd of people to get into a game with 65-70 snaps.

On Green- I agree that Green is a big talent, but he did miss what amounted to his Sr season of HS- and now he will be walking into the SEC. I wont be surprised if he plays- but it wont be easy for him.

On Graham- We have every WR returning for next year. Not only that, we are planning to run more 2 and 3 TE sets next year. 2 TE's in the formation mean only 2 WR's on the field. I see us putting Ross in the slot before we play Graham- using Holloway there on the speed runs and such while using Ross for passing situations when backing up Jameon. Graham is going to be good, there is just nowhere for him to play next year. RoJo, Bear, Jameon, Ross, Stonehands, Chapelle, Holloway, etc are going to get the playing time.

Coach34
02-06-2014, 12:13 AM
So are you saying Aeris Williams is the only one who will play...assuming we have 0 injuries?

Aeris for sure.
One of the QB's for sure (I think Staley)
Green and Thomas possibly- but there is nowhere for them to get enough reps to justify playing.
I'd be shocked if either WR played

mic
02-06-2014, 12:26 AM
Jameon made me kinda nervous about punt returns. I guess he's our most reliable guy though since he's been doing it. Holloway seemed to have some potential. Anyone else? Didn't Redmond do a lot of this in high school?

Gabe Myles may be a candidate for this..

defiantdog
02-06-2014, 12:44 AM
Gabe Myles may be a candidate for this..

I hope we play Ross in the slot some .... I like Wilson, Morrow, Johnson, and Christie on the outside mixed with a few TE's out there to confuse the coverage and cause mismatches.

War Machine Dawg
02-06-2014, 02:07 AM

I think the opposite is more likely. Fitz plays and Staleys gets the RS. As you mentioned, he's already been through 15 bowl practices, plus he'll have a full spring and extra semester of S&C under his belt. Sheer logic says all those extra reps give him the edge for PT right now. I know he's raw as a passer, but that's fixable. Plus, he'll be third behind Dak & D-Will, so you can't anticipate we'll need him. Last year was a freak thing to need 3 QBs. You can usually make it through a season with 2.

Todd4State
02-06-2014, 02:36 AM
If I was the coach, I'd go with Staley. Despite Fitzgerald getting a head start in practice, I think based on video highlights that Staley is actually closer to being able to contribute because of his raw athleticism.

Aeries Williams will play- and I would use him some in the slot.

I'd let Jesse Jackson and Gerri Green recover this year. Just make sure that they are healthy.

I'm not worried about the slot WR position- Jameon, Fred Ross, and Gabe Myles and for some reason we played Chapelle some there as well. So, I'd redshirt Graham unless we had a ton of injuries.

Jocquell Johnson, Hutcherson, and Will Coleman all playing should go without saying.

I would redshirt the DB's, but Dan will probably play at least one of them. I wouldn't be surprised if it's Rayford because he looks like a guy that would be solid on ST already.

I would only play Cooke if Bell and Sobiesk still can't get it through the uprights with more consistency.

BrunswickDawg
02-06-2014, 07:29 AM

Fitz is the real deal - but raw. And Coach is spot on. He will push hard for #3

TrueMaroon
02-06-2014, 08:08 AM
I really hope we don't see many play; especially Cory Thomas. I know he's crazy talented, but considering how we missed several DTs, I'd like to keep him as long as we can by redshirting him.

HancockCountyDog
02-06-2014, 08:21 AM
The thing with Jackson is we don't have to have him next year. Christy and Hammond redshirted and are similar style and size players. I'd like for him to fully heal and come in 2015 ready to pick up where Rojo left off.

He is going to redshirt. He is coming off major knee surgery, an acl and mcl tear.

I would be fine with Aeris redshirting. Look at the depth at RB, why burn his redshirt over 20 carries and 100 yards?

Political Hack
02-06-2014, 08:58 AM
Probably:
1 RB
1 Slot WR
1 DB
Juco TE

Maybe:
1 DL
1 QB

special teams is always the wild card. QB could be interesting with only two QBs in a system that runs their QBs. I'd consider getting a 3rd guy snaps early and RedShirting the one with the highest upside (Staley IMO).

Saltydog
02-06-2014, 09:05 AM
adequate p/t for them all.

thunderclap
02-06-2014, 09:14 AM
"I would only play Cooke if Bell and Sobiesk still can't get it through the uprights with more consistency."

Looks like Cooke gets PT.

Esmerelda Villalobos
02-06-2014, 09:41 AM
I think one of the WR's pokes through. Jameon can't be our only slot receiver, and I wouldn't be surprised of Jackson takes Chappelle's or RoJo's job by the season's end.

Rojos job? Ummm what?

MzTerry
02-06-2014, 11:45 AM
on the DL- I said Thomas could possibly get some time. But the problem is that we have Jones, Eulls, PJ, and Nick James there. Plus others. How many legitimate snaps could he get to justify burning that redshirt? That's a big damn crowd of people to get into a game with 65-70 snaps.

On Green- I agree that Green is a big talent, but he did miss what amounted to his Sr season of HS- and now he will be walking into the SEC. I wont be surprised if he plays- but it wont be easy for him.

On Graham- We have every WR returning for next year. Not only that, we are planning to run more 2 and 3 TE sets next year. 2 TE's in the formation mean only 2 WR's on the field. I see us putting Ross in the slot before we play Graham- using Holloway there on the speed runs and such while using Ross for passing situations when backing up Jameon. Graham is going to be good, there is just nowhere for him to play next year. RoJo, Bear, Jameon, Ross, Stonehands, Chapelle, Holloway, etc are going to get the playing time.

Check your DM coach

chef dixon
02-06-2014, 01:11 PM
I agree that Aeris might should be redshirted, as talented as he is. There already aren't enough carries for Robinson, Griffin, and Shumpert. We will likely be redshirting Lee though. If Aeris plays next fall, I wouldn't expect more than 20 carries on the year.