PDA

View Full Version : Who knows anything about Ronald Cochran?...

maroonmania
02-05-2014, 04:16 PM
I had never heard of him until we signed him today. Lists him as 6'4 255 which seems awfully light for an SEC offensive lineman. Anyone familiar with him?

BogeyGolfer
02-05-2014, 04:33 PM
I had never heard of him until we signed him today. Lists him as 6'4 255 which seems awfully light for an SEC offensive lineman. Anyone familiar with him?
I'm glad we signed another OL... Very difficult to evaluate talent at this position. Our coaches obviously felt like he had good foot work and athletic ability to get it done.

defiantdog
02-05-2014, 04:41 PM
He's listed as 280lb's on 247. Most likely offered a grey shirt

Drugdog
02-05-2014, 05:21 PM

I think he has a brother named David and Marvin.

Todd4State
02-05-2014, 05:54 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if he turns out to be better than Damien Robinson.

smootness
02-05-2014, 06:09 PM
If we're going to get lower-rated OL, this is the kind of kid I want. A 255-lb OL is never going to be rated highly, but if he has the frame to add weight and is athletic, he can become a stud.

OL is the toughest position to evaluate, especially at the HS level. The guys who are already at their peak physically will always be the more highly-rated guys, and it is nearly impossible to try to project how a guy who played worse competition will translate.

Every year, that is the position with the most highly-rated busts and the most guys at the top of the draft who weren't rated well.

Todd4State
02-05-2014, 06:13 PM
If we're going to get lower-rated OL, this is the kind of kid I want. A 255-lb OL is never going to be rated highly, but if he has the frame to add weight and is athletic, he can become a stud.

OL is the toughest position to evaluate, especially at the HS level. The guys who are already at their peak physically will always be the more highly-rated guys, and it is nearly impossible to try to project how a guy who played worse competition will translate.

Every year, that is the position with the most highly-rated busts and the most guys at the top of the draft who weren't rated well.

Exactly. Recruiting rankings have zero merit with o-line recruits.

All anyone has to do it look at Day, Clayborn, Clausell, and Malone to see this. That's why I don't buy into the Hevesey can't recruit stuff.

War Machine Dawg
02-05-2014, 06:55 PM
If he is indeed 255, that's light for an SEC OL. However, I don't view this as a bad thing. He's tall and probably has the frame to allow him to carry substantially more weight. At 255, he's probably had to play with more technique than most of the already massive OL we typically get that have dominated in HS via sheer size. I'd definitely label him a project, but he's the kind of project I like on the OL. It's easier to put weight on a guy who works that it is to take weight off a guy who doesn't want to work. Plus, I trust our staff at evaluating these types of players. Everyone was worried about Dillon Day being small when we signed him, and we all see how that has worked out for us.

Percho
02-05-2014, 07:12 PM
What I like is we signed 23 and 13 of them are 6' 4" and up. Don't know if they can walk and chew gum at the same time but I still like their size. Plus 2 at 6' 3". I think the scum class signed 6 6/4 and up.

Coach34
02-05-2014, 07:15 PM
he's a grey I heard- so he will get to mature some more before enrolling.

Really Clark?
02-05-2014, 07:26 PM
That's right he confirmed he is a grey shirt and will enroll next Jan. He is trying to be at 290 when he gets in next year. Only played one year of football coming from a basketball background. Sounds like a good candidate to mould a player out of and if his feet stay as good as the coaches think could become a solid tackle. Just very raw and inexperienced.

Ifyouonlyknew
02-05-2014, 08:10 PM
Yep this was his 1st year playing football & he made the MS all star game. So he has to have some potential just has to add mass but the kid is a great athlete.