PDA

View Full Version : MSU baseball could be Vandy-type elite next year.....

Goat Holder
04-30-2013, 05:50 PM
There has been much talk about how Vandy returned everyone from their 2012 squad, thus why they are a true national championship caliber team right now. Off that 2012 squad, they lost Verhagen (top pitcher) and Gomez (top hitter). Let's compare that with MSU.

We will most definitely lose Renfroe and Graveman, our best hitter and arguably our best pitcher, though not in the same league as Verhagen. Renfroe is better than Gomez, so you can sort of say those cancel each other out. We are literally losing no one else of huge value unless Frazier decides to go pro, and at this point, barring some great post-season performance (which will work out great for us anyway), probably won't happen. He's hitting .332 right now, hardly high draft numbers for a guy his size. After that, we lose Pollo, and while he's great, I think we all agree we have some good talent behind him. We won't miss Evan Mitchell. Not sure about where Bracewell goes from here, but hopefully he comes back. Does it really matter at this point if Norris and Henderson come back? Although, I can't see either of them getting drafted anyway at this point. Girodo has been solid at times, but like Pollo, we have pitching talent to replace him. The other big deal is Catcher. Hopefully between Garner and Randolph, we'll have a guy that can play that position. Garner was a high level recruit who was recruited to be a long-time starter....time to man up and act like it. I guess I should include Porter here too as someone we are losing, though Cohen doesn't seem to want to use him. And FINALLY, Frost is gone.

Our lineup could conceivably return completely intact outside Renfroe. That'd be pretty strong. You have to think Robson or Armstrong or both could take over the other two OF spots along with Henderson. Bradford is the anchor. Then you have a middle infield coming back who will have the nuts to make the big plays during crunch time (if Frazier goes pro, I'm guessing Britton is your SS). Still have Detz and Norris to battle it out at 3B, and Flair possibly DH-ing. I expect Rea to keep improving like he has every year and will likely be our star at the plate next season.

Now, pitching is what gets you really excited. Lindgren, Woodruff/Fitts/Cox a year older (hopefully doing a Stratton-like improvement), Holder, hopefully Bracewell, Real Deal Mitchell, Shelly/Gentry with a year under their belts. Then you add in the guys who redshirted and the true freshmen coming in, some of whom are elite.

I haven't even gotten to the freshmen who may challenge for playing time in the actual lineup. Gavin Collins may make the Catcher situation moot.

So, all in all, while our future looks bright no matter what, a little help from the draft (and maybe a guy like Frazier deciding he wants to win a title and stay another year), we could be a real national seed type program next year. I know that's the typical MSU mantra, "Wait til next year", and this year isn't over. But I still see us as being one year away from being a true contender. We're hosting material this year, but we're national title material next year.

Ronny
04-30-2013, 06:35 PM
...I just don't see the uptick in talent you are seeing.

We will have some SEC caliber players returning next year, no doubt.

But unless they all catch fire in a huge way, they will not get anywhere near where Vandy is this year.

I think we'll have a definite regional team next year. 60/40 chance we'll host. If the schedule is easy, & we can get some timely hits in critical games, perhaps we'll even sneak into a national seed spot.

But as far as reaching the heights of this year's Vanderbilt? There are not enough studs in the barn for that.

msstate7
04-30-2013, 06:48 PM
...I just don't see the uptick in talent you are seeing.

We will have some SEC caliber players returning next year, no doubt.

But unless they all catch fire in a huge way, they will not get anywhere near where Vandy is this year.

I think we'll have a definite regional team next year. 60/40 chance we'll host. If the schedule is easy, & we can get some timely hits in critical games, perhaps we'll even sneak into a national seed spot.

But as far as reaching the heights of this year's Vanderbilt? There are not enough studs in the barn for that.

Ronny, you and I finally see eye to eye

Homedawg
04-30-2013, 10:46 PM
Ronny, you and I finally see eye to eye

I like the optimism. However, even I can't see that. And I was told by I by one on here that I thought Cohen did no wrong. Which I do disagree w him some, but he gets paid to win so I'll let him do his job. Anyway, renfroe and frazier wont be back. Frazier we have an outside shot of staying but dont count on it. I'd be shocked if the juco catcher doesn't come in and start. Garner has some issues defensively. At least is still raw. Offensively I think he'll be able to hit. I agree w the losses, Mitchell and Norris mean little. Henderson will be back. Bradford really wants to sign, but I can't see it. He's 5'9 160 that is not an elite college player. Don't get me wrong he can help us but don't see him signing unless he wants to sign after being taken in the 35th rd. we have to hope vickerson can step right in and play otherwise we have at least one hole in the of. So we trade in frazier for britton and renfroe for a hopeful vickerson thats a big net loss. As for the p staff I think you might be right we could have really good staff if bracewell returns and woodruff becomes a guy. The fr we have coming in can help us in spots but won't have to be instant fri guys. Either way we will be a regional team but not a natty contender. Not next year. I'd love to be wrong.

Todd4State
04-30-2013, 11:48 PM
A LOT of next year is going to depend on if Woodruff can rebound, and how much progress Lindgren, Fitts, and Cox make. Our bullpen should be solid with Holder and Ross- if some of those guys don't step up, I wouldn't be surprised if Ross starts. I really like Ben Hudspeth from Itawamba- the guy is just a warrior. He will probably be a good replacement for Pollorena. If we get Dakota Hudson, I wouldn't be surprised if he ends up in the rotation. Austin Sexton is pretty good as well, but I've heard he has had some injuries. I think John Marc Shelly will step up in the bullpen as well next year as well.

At catcher, I'm pretty much expecting Cody Walker to be our catcher next year. Gavin Collins is another freshman as well as Garner that is a big time recruit who might be able to step in. This will be something to watch next year.

On the infield- Rea and Pirtle should be back. Both of them should be better. Third base should be open- hopefully Nick Flair will take it. Heck, hopefully he will take it this weekend. I can't count Daryl Norris out at third- he might be the front runner next season. I'd keep an eye on Reid Humphries too. At SS, if Frazier comes back, it's a huge boost. If not, I wouldn't be surprised if we move Pirtle to SS and then maybe go with Kyle Hann or Matthew Britton at second base. Both of those guys will be looked at as SS as well if Frazier doesn't come back. IF Frazier comes back, we could actually be improved.

If we lose Renfroe, there's no way we replace his production. I think he's probably gone, but based on what the draft experts are saying at this point, we might have a better chance of keeping him than a lot of us think. That could certainly change if he finishes the year strong. If we lose CT, I would hate it since he would be a senior and he should be even better next year, but we have plethora of CF types. Demarcus should be back, and he should be better. I could see us moving Demarcus to RF, keeping CT in CF, and then playing Robson in LF. Derrick Armstrong and Jake Vickerson will have a say as well. Brent Rooker might be able to play right field for us next year, but long term he is a first baseman. Gavin Collins is playing some outfield in HS as well and I'm sure we will look at him.

Detz will hopefully be the DH or step up his game at third base. He'll start somewhere though.

So, we're probably a regional team again next year, but pitching is going to have to carry us and offensively, we're probably going to have to be more of a small ball team than we are this year unless Rea or Flair turn the corner like Renfroe did this year, or Humphries or some other freshman comes in and starts mashing the ball. We can go pretty deep with that kind of pitching and our defense might be the best it has been since Cohen has been here.

Our 2015 class is very promising so far- Luke Alexander, Austin Riley, Hunter Stovall- I like the overall direction we are going.

Todd4State
04-30-2013, 11:59 PM
What we might look like in 2016:

P- Dakota Hudson*- (might lose him to the draft) Jr.
P- Austin Sexton- Jr.
P- Vance Tatum- Jr.
P- Zac Houston- Jr.

Closer- John Marc Shelly- Sr.
Set-up- Jacob Billingsley- Jr.
Set-up- Glenn Irby- Jr.
Middle relief- Avery Geyer- Jr.
Middle relief- Myles Gentry- Sr.

C- Chase Vallot- So.
C- Daniel Garner- Sr.

1B- Brent Rooker- Jr.
2B- Dale Burdick- So.
3B- Reid Humphries- Jr.
SS- Luke Alexander- Fr.

LF- Gavin Collins- Jr.
CF- Jacob Robson- Sr.
RF- Joey Swinarski- So.

DH- Kyle Hann- Sr.

Will James
05-01-2013, 12:06 AM
If Frazier goes why not slide Pirtle to SS and Detz to 2B? Then we can DH a DH.

msstate7
05-01-2013, 12:11 AM

I wanna see flair get to to dh this year. Everyone here seems to be sold on him and I wanna see if he's worth the chatter. Any chance we see him thus year?

Todd4State
05-01-2013, 01:08 AM

I'm not real impressed with Detz's lateral movement. Based on that, it would lead me to believe he would have very limited range at second base, even though that's what he was in JUCO. I'm not against looking at it- it may be one of those weird situations where he can play a middle infield position better than a corner infield position.

I do agree he doesn't really profile as a traditional DH either.

Homedawg
05-01-2013, 07:51 AM

Detz doesn't turn the dp well enough. And lacks a lil range. As you know, Cohen does pride the dp. And we have done it well given the opportunities.

Coach34
05-01-2013, 08:13 AM
The main thing to take away is that we are recruiting better now that Cohen has turned the program around- now he has got to get a legit hitting line-up together

Will James
05-01-2013, 09:10 AM
Detz doesn't turn the dp well enough.

Do we know this? Seems we haven't had a chance to see.

I'll take his bat with a Flair/somebody else over having Britton out there and in the lineup

Goat Holder
05-01-2013, 09:26 AM
Do we know this? Seems we haven't had a chance to see.

I would hope that Cohen has seen him in practice time and time again. One thing we've done well under Cohen is play better defense, so I'd trust him here.

I'll take his bat with a Flair/somebody else over having Britton out there and in the lineup

At 3rd base, I'd agree. But some of you are selling Britton short. He's got what it takes to be a good player. He was forced to play well before he was ready, and was still a good middle infielder. I think he could be a good bottom order hitter for us as well.

Todd4State
05-01-2013, 11:22 AM
My question with Britton isn't his defense. Heck, I would rather see him out there at third over Frost. My question is whether he can hit, and I have my doubts. Hopefully he proves my doubts wrong.

State82
05-01-2013, 12:37 PM
Vandy is in a different hemisphere from everyone else right now. Even LSU. They are probably the best team assembled over the past few years with the new bats. 7 SEC series played with 5 sweeps. That is just ridiculous. I don't see us anywhere close to what Vandy is right now. Not next year. I think the potential could be there at some point if the train stays on the track, but there is a definite talent gap to make up if we hope to get anywhere close to elite.

Goat Holder
05-01-2013, 12:58 PM
Maybe we're not. Most that I've shared this with have disagreed. That's OK, I can handle it. Just my opinion.

In regards to Vandy, they have 2 great pitchers, and have lost some midweek games. That tells me that they've got a 3rd good pitcher, but it sort of drops off after that. Might get a little spooky in Cashville if Vandy drops a 1st or 2nd round regional game. Highly doubt they win the SECT either, as if that matters. That regional is the only stumblingblock they have. They are built for 3 game series, and the CWS is so spread out now that your ace can theoretically throw 3 times up there, if you're still in it.

maroonmania
05-01-2013, 02:17 PM
I would hope that Cohen has seen him in practice time and time again.

I'm not sold that this matters much given Cohen sees Frost make throws to first time and time again from the 3rd baseman's spot yet still plays him there.