PDA

View Full Version : Sallach to QB coach??

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
02-04-2014, 02:07 PM
http://mississippistate.247sports.com/Article/Top-10-college-football-coaching-carousel-storylines-175311
4. How will Dan Mullen round out his staff at Mississippi State? A source informed me on Sunday that Mullen is considering shifting Scott Sallach from tight ends to quarterbacks. He would then hire a tight ends coach. Per source, Mullen is leaning towards calling the plays again next season. One coach under consideration is former Wake Forest offensive coordinator Steed Lobotzke.
WTF? Wasn't Sallach initially moved to an off the field position last year until Brewster left for FSU?

smootness
02-04-2014, 02:25 PM
Um...I'm going to assume that 'source' is total crap. At least I hope so.

maroonmania
02-04-2014, 02:29 PM
We don't need a dad blame TE coach. If you combined a ST coach with the TE position then yes, but not just a TE coach. Its a waste to use up a whole assistant coaching position on a few guys that play one position that could be coached by either the OL coach or WR coach or shared between those. QB is the most important position on the field so we DO need someone focused on him and his decision making. We need either an OC or QB coach that is good and focused in that area. And if Sallach can't be both TE AND Special Teams coach then move him off the field and get someone who can. What would qualify Sallach as a QB coach?

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
02-04-2014, 02:34 PM
What would qualify Sallach as a QB coach?
I thought the same thing, but he actually has experience as a QB coach when he was at Princeton before he came to MSU. Either way, he was off the field last year until Brewster left and now he's being promoted....reminds me of gov't jobs.

smootness
02-04-2014, 02:37 PM
Either way, he was off the field last year until Brewster left and now he's being promoted....reminds me of gov't jobs.

Woah now, he hasn't been promoted. This is a site claiming a 'source' saying Mullen is considering it...which is quite a ways from 'this is definitely happening'. Let's just hope it won't happen and wait and see.

SDDawg
02-04-2014, 02:41 PM
Woah now, he hasn't been promoted. This is a site claiming a 'source' saying Mullen is considering it...which is quite a ways from 'this is definitely happening'. Let's just hope it won't happen and wait and see.

THIS. ^^^^^

quickstrike2
02-04-2014, 02:44 PM
I like Mullen and back him, but i wonder if he is tired of hearing that he needs to hire a special teams coach. He absolutely needs to hire one, but he is stubborn and may do anything but that. Mainly we just need to wait til he does make a decision, because even the "sources" probably don't know what he is going to do.

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
02-04-2014, 02:45 PM
I understand, but do note that 247 and coaching search have now teamed up and this is coming from Pete Roussel.

maroonmania
02-04-2014, 03:00 PM
I like Mullen and back him, but i wonder if he is tired of hearing that he needs to hire a special teams coach. He absolutely needs to hire one, but he is stubborn and may do anything but that. Mainly we just need to wait til he does make a decision, because even the "sources" probably don't know what he is going to do.

If Mullen can't look at his special teams overall and realize they pretty much suck then I don't know what can be done for him.

Coach34
02-04-2014, 03:03 PM
If Mullen can't look at his special teams overall and realize they pretty much suck then I don't know what can be done for him.

All we need to do is make some FG's and catch more punts so they dont roll and cost us yardage.

Only 5 of 14 SEC teams scored a TD on ST's last season. We just need to make some damn kicks

deltadawg99
02-04-2014, 03:31 PM
All we need to do is make some FG's and catch more punts so they dont roll and cost us yardage.

Only 5 of 14 SEC teams scored a TD on ST's last season. We just need to make some damn kicks

We did have 2 punts blocked and one punt just dropped in the end zone by Devon Bell that all resulted in points for the other team. So that may be an area to improve on as well.

quickstrike2
02-04-2014, 03:40 PM
We did have 2 punts blocked and one punt just dropped in the end zone by Devon Bell that all resulted in points for the other team. So that may be an area to improve on as well.

Agreed. And a fair catch on the 5 yard line that led to the dropped punt in the endzone.

Todd4State
02-04-2014, 03:45 PM
I'm fine with these moves AS LONG as he makes Gonzales the ST coach in addition to WR coach.

smootness
02-04-2014, 03:47 PM
I understand, but do note that 247 and coaching search have now teamed up and this is coming from Pete Roussel.

Ok, so the source is probably pretty good...but it still only says that he's 'considering' it, which probably means he's just throwing stuff out there. I seriously doubt Sallach will be our QB coach next year, that's all I'm saying.

Todd4State
02-04-2014, 03:58 PM
Ok, so the source is probably pretty good...but it still only says that he's 'considering' it, which probably means he's just throwing stuff out there. I seriously doubt Sallach will be our QB coach next year, that's all I'm saying.

This may sound black helicopters, but I do think that MSU puts some rumors about potential coaching decisions out there so that they can gauge fan reactions. I'm not saying that we totally influence coaching decisions based on our reactions and opinions, but it's probably a small part of the equation. Remember when Willie Martinez was a done deal to MSU before we eventually hired Manny?

That said, honestly if it were me:

Dan- HC/OC/QB coach.
Knox- RB coach
Gonzales- WR coach/passing game coordinator
Steed Lobowitxkcowski or however you spell it- OC/TE/FB/Triple option guru.
Hevesey- OL/Running game coordinator
Turner- DL coach
Collins- DC/LB coach/Minister of Mayhem (yeah, I really would give him that title)
Hughes- S/Recruiting coordinator
Townsend- CB
John Baxter- ST coach/Assist either OLB's or Slot WR's or whatever Dan thinks we need.
Sallach- Office job/Director of player personnel if Felker doesn't already have that title.

deltadawg99
02-04-2014, 04:05 PM
This may sound black helicopters, but I do think that MSU puts some rumors about potential coaching decisions out there so that they can gauge fan reactions. I'm not saying that we totally influence coaching decisions based on our reactions and opinions, but it's probably a small part of the equation. Remember when Willie Martinez was a done deal to MSU before we eventually hired Manny?

That said, honestly if it were me:

Dan- HC/OC/QB coach.
Knox- RB coach
Gonzales- WR coach/passing game coordinator
Steed Lobowitxkcowski or however you spell it- OC/TE/FB/Triple option guru.
Hevesey- OL/Running game coordinator
Turner- DL coach
Collins- DC/LB coach/Minister of Mayhem (yeah, I really would give him that title)
Hughes- S/Recruiting coordinator
Townsend- CB
John Baxter- ST coach/Assist either OLB's or Slot WR's or whatever Dan thinks we need.
Sallach- Office job/Director of player personnel if Felker doesn't already have that title.

I've been saying for a while that we need to give Baxter a look. The problem is if we could pay him enough to spark his interest. According to 247 he was making $1.1 Mil at USC

Todd4State
02-04-2014, 04:13 PM
I've been saying for a while that we need to give Baxter a look. The problem is if we could pay him enough to spark his interest. According to 247 he was making $1.1 Mil at USC

Correct he WAS making 1.1 million. He is currently unemployed which means he is making $0.00. I would imagine that whatever we could offer him would interest him.

Big4Dawg
02-04-2014, 04:32 PM
Major Applewhite is still unemployed.

DAWGS1
02-05-2014, 08:56 PM
Sallach is Mullen's longtime coaching friend from NE
Good ole boy network alive and well. Sallach may be a great TE coach but I want a proven, spread option attack QB coach if we are going to hire one.

mstatefan91
02-05-2014, 09:40 PM
Correct he WAS making 1.1 million. He is currently unemployed which means he is making $0.00. I would imagine that whatever we could offer him would interest him.

Also, 1.1 million in Cali is not the same thing as 1.1 million in MS.

That cost of living factor

deltadawg99
02-05-2014, 10:28 PM
Whoever we hire, he better be a lights out recruiter. 2015 is a huge year both on the field and recruiting trail.

esplanade91
02-05-2014, 10:45 PM
Also, 1.1 million in Cali is not the same thing as 1.1 million in MS.

That cost of living factor

I keep hearing this argument, but why would that matter to someone who has no intentions of staying in Starkville for life? He made $1.1m and we probably wouldn't offer more than $300,000. There's not that big of a gap between living in Starkville and LA despite popular belief. And if I'm from Chicago/mid-west and I've lived in LA, I'm sorry, but I'm taking the job (hypothetically) in Mississippi to have a paycheck until something else comes along.

I'm trying to move back to Mississippi myself because I'm sick of spending $30 a day commuting to and from work and paying an ungodly amount of money in taxes, but that's only because I'm from Mississippi and I don't currently make $1.1m. To people for my brother-in-law the cost of living is worth it for all the things the place he lives offers. I'm sure John Baxter would rather make slightly less than $1.1m to live in LA rather than Starkville, MS for the same amount. Hypothetically.

My point is we're not getting John Baxter, and we don't need another Brewster-type coming in stirring up trouble with the felons on U of Ole Miss' staff about taking other jobs before leaving to go to a national championship caliber team. I'd rather grab a Collins-type who is up and coming and would reward us for our willingness to give him his first big shot.