PDA

View Full Version : Rufus ?

justwin
02-04-2014, 12:10 PM
Hailstate has him @ 6'7" 265. He has two more seasons to play. Can we realistically expect him to be an OT? How much does he weigh now?

smootness
02-04-2014, 12:18 PM
I would guess he's added at least 20-25 more pounds at this point, which shouldn't be a problem since he seems to have the frame for it. And he will probably add another 10-20 by the start of the season.

Since he's been mostly a blocking TE anyway, I wouldn't think it's a huge adjustment so I think he can definitely contribute. I don't know how good he'll be, but I don't think the transition will be an overly difficult one. There have been plenty of guys who have done it before and done it relatively quickly.

I think it's a good move and hope he can at least provide quality depth. I would worry that we're that concerned over what we have at T, but because TE is so full, I'm not extremely concerned about that.

Bully13
02-04-2014, 12:31 PM
Whose rufus?

Big4Dawg
02-04-2014, 12:31 PM
Rufus Warren - a SO Tightend.

HancockCountyDog
02-04-2014, 12:49 PM
Hailstate has him @ 6'7" 265. He has two more seasons to play. Can we realistically expect him to be an OT? How much does he weigh now?

I have to admit that it pisses me off that we have to talk about moving an oversized TE to OT in CDM's sixth season. This shit shouldn't be happening. We really need Damien Robinson to step the **** up.

engie
02-04-2014, 12:55 PM
I have to admit that it pisses me off that we have to talk about moving an oversized TE to OT in CDM's sixth season. This shit shouldn't be happening. We really need Damien Robinson to step the **** up.

This happens everywhere. We're moving him because he's lost in the mix at TE -- so we are essentially giving him one extra chance before becoming an attrition candidate.

GreenheadDawg
02-04-2014, 12:55 PM

My thoughts exactly. Our lack of OL recruiting is ridiculous and that's an understatement. They need to figure out what the problem is in that department.

smootness
02-04-2014, 12:56 PM

Again, though, this doesn't mean that we're short on OTs necessarily. It does mean we're overflowing at TE, and if we think he can be a good OT, why not? The only other options are to either cut him or have him sit the bench at TE the rest of his career.

He wouldn't see the field at TE this year, and in 2015 we'll still have Hutcherson and Samuel, at least, ahead of him. Maybe he becomes a good OT. It has been done before and turned out very well for the team doing it.

In regard to Robinson, I don't think it has anything to do with him 'stepping up'. I just think he was overrated as a prospect. I don't think he's quick or strong enough to be a good OT and him being motivated or working hard isn't going to fix that.

thedawg
02-04-2014, 12:58 PM
I really think they are moving him there to find him a place to have a chance.. .I think its more about we have recruited past him at TE as opposed to we think hes gonna be a huge piece of the puzzle at tackle

NCDawg
02-04-2014, 01:00 PM
My thoughts exactly. Our lack of OL recruiting is ridiculous and that's an understatement. They need to figure out what the problem is in that department.

You are correct. It seems since Mullen has been here, our primary weakness has been OL recruiting.

msstate7
02-04-2014, 01:03 PM
This happens everywhere. We're moving him because he's lost in the mix at TE -- so we are essentially giving him one extra chance before becoming an attrition candidate.

Wasn't Eric fisher a te a one point?

Really Clark?
02-04-2014, 01:03 PM

I think within the last few years there was a high draft pick that converted in college because of similar circumstances. It's a good move and has nothing to do with OL recruiting but his continue growth and depth at TE.

msstate7
02-04-2014, 01:04 PM

If he's listed at 265 at TE, then I'd guess he's heavier than that.

msstate7
02-04-2014, 01:05 PM
I think within the last few years there was a high draft pick that converted in college because of similar circumstances. It's a good move and has nothing to do with OL recruiting but his continue growth and depth at TE.

Pretty sure this would be Eric fisher

Really Clark?
02-04-2014, 01:13 PM
Pretty sure this would be Eric fisher

Probably who I'm thinking of. You all these supposed coorelations to our OL recruiting and yet we have moved two safety's to LB. Our LB recruiting must be horrible.

hacker
02-04-2014, 01:20 PM
Probably who I'm thinking of. You all these supposed coorelations to our OL recruiting and yet we have moved two safety's to LB. Our LB recruiting must be horrible.

That's what I'm talking about! Get 'em!

HancockCountyDog
02-04-2014, 01:23 PM

Im fine with giving the kid a chance, but people were talking about him in the two deep. That is what pissed me off.

thf24
02-04-2014, 01:32 PM
Not exactly on topic, but does anyone know what the plan for BJ Hammond is currently? I know there was some talk at one point of him moving to TE, but since our TE depth is so full that we're moving guys out right now, I was wondering if he might be left at WR.

engie
02-04-2014, 01:41 PM
Im fine with giving the kid a chance, but people were talking about him in the two deep. That is what pissed me off.

Where and who?

2-deep at OT day 1 will likely be Clausell backed by Senior and Malone backed by Johnson. I have zero belief that Rufus will be anywhere close to the 2-deep.

Coach34
02-04-2014, 02:03 PM

This stuff happens everywhere- not seeing the problem. We're doing to help us- but also to help him. He's a lineman playing TE already

Coach34
02-04-2014, 02:04 PM
Where and who?

2-deep at OT day 1 will likely be Clausell backed by Senior and Malone backed by Johnson. I have zero belief that Rufus will be anywhere close to the 2-deep.

I think Robinson will be backing up Malone on Day 1...

Westdawg
02-04-2014, 02:08 PM
i coached against Rufus when he was in high school. guy has some good feet and has the length you want in an OT. I honestly thought this might happen to him once he got to college. I think the only reason he has NOT gotten bigger is because of his current position. If he were to add 15-20 lbs between now and the fall, he can still maintain his agility and speed. The guy has been a good blocker for us when he has played. I actually like the idea.
Yes, the OL is THE HARDEST POSITION to recruit. so many are duds, and so many are often overlooked because they dont fit the mold immediately out of HS. I honestly like that you can find a kid like Elgton or Rufus, who have the frame, length, and speed/agility and THEN turn them into monsters. Then you know their measurables are solid and not just table fluff that so many of these bigger kids coming out of HS have issues with.

Johnson85
02-04-2014, 02:11 PM
Where and who?

I can understand people being concerned. We apparently have a converted OG and a JUCO competing for RT and the last time we moved somebody to tackle in the spring they ended up being our only serviceable option and we had to throw Clausell out there too soon when he got injured. It's also to me the only position I'm concerned about going into next year even if we don't suffer any significant injuries there.

blacklistedbully
02-04-2014, 02:28 PM
Don't TE's typically have good feet, good hands, and lots of practice blocking? Seems to me a TE with the size to get there could be an excellent candidate to be a really good O-lineman.

Coach34
02-04-2014, 02:33 PM
Don't TE's typically have good feet, good hands, and lots of practice blocking? Seems to me a TE with the size to get there could be an excellent candidate to be a really good O-lineman.

Dead on

hailmari
02-04-2014, 02:46 PM
I'm surprised we're just now doing it. He's a big ole guy and he seems intelligent, which is important at LT.

engie
02-04-2014, 02:57 PM
I can understand people being concerned. We apparently have a converted OG and a JUCO competing for RT and the last time we moved somebody to tackle in the spring they ended up being our only serviceable option and we had to throw Clausell out there too soon when he got injured. It's also to me the only position I'm concerned about going into next year even if we don't suffer any significant injuries there.

That's spinning the situation into the biggest possible negative.

The last time we recruited a JUCO tackle -- he started 26 straight games for us at the position and was serviceable.

It's also a monstrous difference between kicking a guard out to tackle in the spring -- and converting a juco defensive tackle to the offensive tackle position in the spring.

Fact is -- Senior is good to go at tackle and there was already little drop-off from Clausell to him(keeping in mind that he was a RS FR last year and will likely see a big jump between his first 2 years of seeing PT -- and Robinson has been a backup on both sides. If we were worried about the position, we would have already kicked Senior over there to get him up to speed as the starter. The fact that we haven't done this shows that they feel pretty good about what we have coming back/coming in at the position.

preachermatt83
02-04-2014, 05:00 PM
Rufus has a very good chance to be starting at OT by the fall... Im telling you guys, talk to some of the players and they will tell you, his blocking skills are outstanding!

bulldawg28
02-04-2014, 06:50 PM
Obviously the guy has continued growing since arriving and his hands aren't the greatest. I can promise you he'll have the best feet of any lineman we have and will be able to stay in front of speed ends. He's also going to add more swagger and attitude to the OL.