PDA

View Full Version : The Catching Situation

bulldogcountry1
02-03-2014, 04:41 PM
From my perspective, it seems like we've had at least 3 interchangable catchers since the fall. Each one seems to have different strenghts and weaknesses.

On Saturday, I believe, David Murray expressed concern with our ability to throw out runners after a Detz steal. What's the story on that? Who is our best defensive guy? We all know Cohen will play the guy who gives us the best chance on the defensive side.

engie
02-03-2014, 05:29 PM
From my perspective, it seems like we've had at least 3 interchangable catchers since the fall. Each one seems to have different strenghts and weaknesses.

On Saturday, I believe, David Murray expressed concern with our ability to throw out runners after a Detz steal. What's the story on that? Who is our best defensive guy? We all know Cohen will play the guy who gives us the best chance on the defensive side.

It's always tough early. Guys don't have great rapport with pitchers yet -- pitchers are working on specific things in a scrimmage and not necessarily mixing in their slide step -- catchers trying different things -- base runners trying different things -- having a hard time getting much on throws from the catcher's box in the cold(and fully getting arm strength back from the winter layoff) -- the potential of being handcuffed, etc...

Hardly time to be worrying about throwing people out with the amount of talent we have IMO. Slauter didn't have much of an arm either -- but they weren't taking advantage of him consistently. Especially when the team stealing bases(us) should be one of the faster teams in the country.

Goat Holder
02-03-2014, 06:07 PM
If it was me, Gavin Collins would start from Day 1. He can hit, plus he's got the talent/arm/etc. But Cohen will likely go with the JUCOs early and often as he has since he got here. Collins is really going to have to win the job handily to get it. Cohen loves to start some lollypops (Frost, Deloach, etc.)

berr6728
02-03-2014, 06:43 PM
Would not call DeLoach a lollypop, he just lead our team his senior year in batting average. I believe it was something like .350 or so. Great young man and was a Jr. college walkon just like Randolph this year. I feel Randolph or Walker will be your starter. All 4 will probably play early as we have a number of double headers starting with the first weekend.

bully99
02-03-2014, 06:50 PM
Lollipops? You got any dignity about you goatroper

Goat Holder
02-03-2014, 06:51 PM
Lollypop is in no way a judgment of their character. They both worked hard and were great bulldogs and had some good plays for us, defensively and offensively.

Goat Holder
02-03-2014, 06:52 PM
How's Cohen's recrootin going?

MsStateBaseball
02-03-2014, 07:02 PM
I think the catchers are Collins, Walker and Garner. Maybe we are really good at stealing?

maroonmania
02-03-2014, 07:11 PM
I think the catchers are Collins, Walker and Garner. Maybe we are really good at stealing?

Is Randolph still around?

messageboardsuperhero
02-03-2014, 07:25 PM
Catcher is WIDE OPEN from what I've heard. I really can't remember a competition with this many candidates that has been this open in a long time.

The good news is that they all seem capable- we'll just have to watch how it plays out.

MsStateBaseball
02-03-2014, 07:45 PM
Randolph is around but we all need to wait until after the last cut.