PDA

View Full Version : Mullen's Recruiting Track Record Outweighs what OM has done

The Croom Diaries
04-30-2013, 09:45 AM
Comparing the 2009 recruiting classes for both teams and how it is a similar situation to where we are currently...something that has many State fans feeling anxious.

http://www.forwhomthecowbelltolls.com/2013/4/30/4285606/dan-*******-recruiting-track-record-far-outweighs-what-ole-miss-has

dickiedawg
04-30-2013, 10:43 AM
Good work. Your blog post being well formatted makes it much easier to read than some others.

ETA: I guess it would be more accurate to simply say I prefer the format of your blog post as I find it easier to read than some others.

BeastMan
04-30-2013, 02:26 PM
I agree. Their layout is awesome.

FlabLoser
04-30-2013, 02:39 PM
Y'all don't prefer Bleacher Report's slideshow mazes?

BeastMan
04-30-2013, 02:42 PM
Y'all don't prefer Bleacher Report's slideshow mazes?

Rant Sports is doing the same thing and its awful. I'm assuming its so they get 8 views (or however many slides) on 1 story which looks better for advertisers?

Goat Holder
04-30-2013, 03:56 PM
I think that you're leaving a fundamental part of the equation out: How will HUGH FREEZE do with the recruits? Yeah, Nutt didn't do much, but that has nothing to do with the next 5 years. I'm of the opinion that what Freeze is doing now, is the same as what Mullen was doing in 2009 and 2010. Freeze's future isn't written yet, but I'm afraid it's going to be a good one.

That is completely independent of what Mullen is/has done. He's done a great job. But it sure does seem like they one up us just a tad bit in all things football:

- Little bit bigger fanbase/alumni base
- Little bit better tradition
- Little bit more distinguished football alumni
- Little bit better facilities
- Little bit better season in young, innovative coach's rookie season
- Little bit better recruiting classes on average

The Croom Diaries
04-30-2013, 07:03 PM
I agree. Their layout is awesome.

That would be the benefit of being under the SB Nation umbrella, they design the site so we don't have to. On the other hand, sometimes I feel like a corporate sellout. But whatever, as long as we never become Bleacher Report's slideshow page view generator BS then I am okay.

The Croom Diaries
04-30-2013, 07:08 PM
I think that you're leaving a fundamental part of the equation out: How will HUGH FREEZE do with the recruits? Yeah, Nutt didn't do much, but that has nothing to do with the next 5 years. I'm of the opinion that what Freeze is doing now, is the same as what Mullen was doing in 2009 and 2010. Freeze's future isn't written yet, but I'm afraid it's going to be a good one.

Freeze's future isn't written yet, so it's going to be hard to write about it. Really the point of this piece is to point out that we've seen this OM story before - turnaround season followed by a benchmark recruiting class, and it falls apart due to their preacher-like head coach's inspirations speeches getting stale, empty promises on the recruiting trails going unfulfilled, and the lack of work ethic in the prospects they are getting catches up with them. Mullen hasn't had the flashy classes, but he has developed players and produced NFL talent where there wasn't before while winning his share of games. The "sky is falling because Freeze has OM rolling" MSU crowd need to sit a few plays out and let time tell the tale.

Goat Holder
04-30-2013, 07:19 PM
Freeze's future isn't written yet, so it's going to be hard to write about it. Really the point of this piece is to point out that we've seen this OM story before - turnaround season followed by a benchmark recruiting class, and it falls apart due to their preacher-like head coach's inspirations speeches getting stale, empty promises on the recruiting trails going unfulfilled, and the lack of work ethic in the prospects they are getting catches up with them. Mullen hasn't had the flashy classes, but he has developed players and produced NFL talent where there wasn't before while winning his share of games. The "sky is falling because Freeze has OM rolling" MSU crowd need to sit a few plays out and let time tell the tale.

I don't disagree with any of that. I do happen to think Freeze is a pretty good coach, though, and I developed that opinion watching his teams at Arkansas State. I'm hoping someone throws money at him and hires him away.

dickiedawg
05-01-2013, 08:20 AM
- Little bit bigger fanbase/alumni base.
Can't really dispute this, though I don't know you can support it either. It would seem to me that with a higher enrollment we should have more alumni, but I don't feel like looking this up.
Really not even close here.
Also true, though the tide is beginning to turn. We may never have an upper-echelon starting nfl qb with multiple Super Bowl rings, but we have more NFL guys every year and have starters all over the place.
Which facilities would those be? Their stadium is a little larger and will be after our expansion, but that doesn't make it better. Our new complex takes a backseat to no one.
Fair point. You did say "little bit."
No argument here.

Nm

FlabLoser
05-01-2013, 08:25 AM

That is completely independent of what Mullen is/has done. He's done a great job. But it sure does seem like they one up us just a tad bit in all things football:

- Little bit bigger fanbase/alumni base

Little bit better at staying home for bowl season.

They do not have a bigger fanbase.

They do not have a bigger alumni base.

They do not have better facilities.

Their tradition is a liability.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZTUCob8hB1s