PDA

View Full Version : Better coach: Carroll or Saban?

ShotgunDawg
02-03-2014, 09:07 AM
Tell me that question doesn't turn your morning upside down. I would've considered that question ludacris before last night.

Has Carroll not accomplished more?

messageboardsuperhero
02-03-2014, 09:14 AM
People might think I'm crazy, but I have to go with Carroll.

Who else has won a college national title AND a Super Bowl? Jimmy Johnson's the only other coach I can think of. Plus Carroll had the next best college dynasty of the last 10-15 years, outside of Alabama.

msstate7
02-03-2014, 09:17 AM
People might think I'm crazy, but I have to go with Carroll.

Who else has won a college national title AND a Super Bowl? Jimmy Johnson's the only other coach I can think of. Plus Carroll had the next best college dynasty of the last 10-15 years, outside of Alabama.

Barry switzer. Of course, he inherited a Super Bowl team.

Carroll >saban

C222
02-03-2014, 09:25 AM
Tell me that question doesn't turn your morning upside down. I would've considered that question ludacris before last night.

That question did not turn my morning upside down.

smootness
02-03-2014, 09:37 AM
I would've considered that question ludacris before last night.

Personally, I would have considered it Dr. Dre.

Johnson85
02-03-2014, 10:57 AM

I'd say Saban is a better college coach. Carroll looks like a better NFL coach. I think Carroll's style is a better fit for the NFL and Saban's is a better fit for college. Carroll seems more like a manager coach while Saban seems like a micromanager coach. I think Saban at this point could go establish a program anywhere and I think his system would have resulted in an improving program just about anywhere he went earlier on in his career. I'm not sure the same holds true for Carroll.

But I also think there's a lot more chance involved in coaching in the NFL. Didn't Carroll suck as New England's coach? I think margin for error is so slim in the NFL that a little bit of luck with respect to injuries and/or personnel decisions can make or break you. Saban basically doomed himself in Miami by betting on Culpepper instead of Brees. If Saban tried the NFL again, I think there's a good chance he'd do better.

thf24
02-03-2014, 11:05 AM
But I also think there's a lot more chance involved in coaching in the NFL. Didn't Carroll suck as New England's coach? I think margin for error is so slim in the NFL that a little bit of luck with respect to injuries and/or personnel decisions can make or break you. Saban basically doomed himself in Miami by betting on Culpepper instead of Brees. If Saban tried the NFL again, I think there's a good chance he'd do better.

From what I heard on ESPN around the time Seattle hired Carroll, his power within the organization was severely limited at New England, and one of the conditions under which he accepted the Seattle job was that he had full authority over things like draft choices and staffing. He may have been in a Dallas-type situation at New England, knowing what needed to be changed or done differently but without the ability to do so.

Master Blaster
02-03-2014, 11:10 AM
I would say Saban. He has done it with 2 schools and in the toughest division in the country! His stint with Miami is bad but Miami passed on Brees and forced Saban out!

hacker
02-03-2014, 11:27 AM
Carroll

archdog
02-03-2014, 11:37 AM
Carroll had winning seasons everywhere he has ever coached including New England. He has a SuperBowl victory and a National Championship ring. Saban, although probably better in college, cannot compare when you look at their total body of work.

I vote Carroll.

dawgs
02-03-2014, 12:28 PM
i know i'd rather play for carroll than saban. but i don't respond to a hard ass coach like saban, and would run through a wall for a player's coach like carroll.

mcain31
02-03-2014, 02:00 PM
I vote for Carroll. I believe his USC teams were better than Saban's LSU teams and could beat Saban's Alabama teams. With Carroll's personality, he could recruit anywhere. He was the first coach that I heard of using twitter and facebook.

THE Bruce Dickinson
02-03-2014, 02:10 PM
He has done it with 2 schools and in the toughest division in the country!

The NFC West is a little better than the SEC...and Saban wasn't forced out of Miami. He simply couldn't (or didn't want to) handle the media and pressure of the NFL so he high tailed it back to Tuscaloosa.