I'm really sick of Mullen not being able to close**

We must have hid Hevesy this weekend from the croots

JDog13
02-02-2014, 01:00 PM
Why can't we close???? 😎

MetEdDawg
02-02-2014, 01:01 PM
We must have hid Hevesy this weekend from the croots

Actually I think Jenkins must really like Hevesy's stand offish personality. Don't forget he's the only one that recruits our offensive lineman.

SDDawg
02-02-2014, 01:02 PM
Do we know the details on Jenkins, he is grey shirting or enrolling this summer? No concern on my part either way, just curious to see how this impacts the numbers and if we have 2 DL spots still available.

Coach34
02-02-2014, 01:06 PM
we will take talent- and drop some non-qualifiers if we have to. Just have to see who else wants in the boat before we kick some out

HancockCountyDog
02-02-2014, 01:12 PM
Do we know the details on Jenkins, he is grey shirting or enrolling this summer? No concern on my part either way, just curious to see how this impacts the numbers and if we have 2 DL spots still available.

This is my concern. Gray and Jenkins didn't have firm spots as of a week ago. If we are signing these guys, who are we bumping?

justwin
02-02-2014, 01:13 PM
This is EXACTLY why I love Saint Mullen. He truly understands Mississippi and I'm always excited when he uses scholarships on Mississippi kids.

You can form your own opinion, but this guy can play. http://www.hudl.com/athlete/1116705/highlights/106020376?autoplay=1 Just as much as I like to track careers of late misses, I get more pumped about our late additions that basically came out of nowhere. Plus, the delta is always ripe with athletes so only good things will come from Mr. Jenkins.

Trackings
2013 - Both Tolando Cleveland and Ross played as true freshman
2012 - Artimas Samuel. Never heard of him until he committed. Goes to Hargrave and basically redshirts and then plays last year and gets a big TD catch to break the Liberty Bowl open.
2011 - Taveze Calhoun - I'd argue with anyone that other than McKinney & Moncrief this guy has had the best career to date of any kid who graduated from Mississippi in 2011. Yes, better than Brassell, Tobias Manning, Aaron Morris, Dee Arrington, PJ Jones, Joe Morrow, Jermaine Whitehead, or CJ Johnson
2010 - Dillon Day

According to Twitter Gray and Jenkins committed this morning

chef dixon
02-02-2014, 01:16 PM
Wow that's an impressive video for Jenkins. He can really move for a big guy.

Thick
02-02-2014, 01:16 PM
Jenkins is a solid replacement for Rawlings in my opinion. Good size and frame to build off of, and Hevesy has a lot to work with on this kid. Gray is going to be a baller. Good kid that was raised right, and his dad doesn't take shit from other kids. That's why JT has done well. His dad has shielded him from the "elements" that African Americans deal with growing up. 2 good pick ups.

Bully13
02-02-2014, 01:17 PM
great recruiting coup by hevesy. the guy really knows how to fight off those other BCS coaches for highly ranked O-Linemen. Knowing he's the only one who recruits O-Linemen makes me feel that much better about it. thanks for sharing that. I feel much more updated and knowledgeable about what is making us so proficient in this area.

MetEdDawg
02-02-2014, 01:20 PM
Wow that's an impressive video for Jenkins. He can really move for a big guy.

The only knock on him is that he doesn't have an SEC body yet in terms of the type of weight he carries and his overall muscle mass. And honestly that's mostly what recruiting is anyway. Who has the skills right now to be an impact player. Who has the frame and skill to be an impact right now. Those guys get 4 and 5 stars. And it's what we've taken advantage of. We recruit these "project" guys and turn them into solid players. Why? It's because we use their first two years to get their bodies right. Other schools get these guys in and use them immediately and they have an advantage there in terms of getting guys used to playing in the SEC. But we turn overlooked guys into solid players because we train them right.

Jenkins has ZERO pressure to even be in the rotation the next 2 years. Dude gets to sit back, learn from guys like Malone, Day, Clayborn, Clausell, and work his ass off to get the body needed to play SEC football. He's got the skill set, but his frame just isn't instant impact right now. He's just not a right now kind of guy and I'm cool with that because we are set at all but 1 OL position next year and the year after that we have guys like Desper, Flowers, and Thomas ready to go.

Political Hack
02-02-2014, 01:24 PM
Dillon Day's only concern on the field was his weight. they fixed that in a hurry.

Bully13
02-02-2014, 01:26 PM
speaking of Thomas, how's his development progressing? The last I heard of him was that he was battling some type of injury and got lit up his first spring. any more word?

justwin
02-02-2014, 01:27 PM
dead on. I had forgotten about that with him, but he pretty much took over after a RS year I believe..kudos to Balis

Dillon Day's only concern on the field was his weight. they fixed that in a hurry.

justwin
02-02-2014, 01:30 PM
IDK, but for that very reason I usually watch the spring game once posted to hailstate tv later in the spring to watch the OL exclusively. Carter really jumped out to me last year after on campus for only one semester so hopefully Jake is on the same progression. I do think Jake was further along than Carter when he entered MSU as a true freshman though.

speaking of Thomas, how's his development progressing? The last I heard of him was that he was battling some type of injury and got lit up his first spring. any more word?

HoopsDawg
02-02-2014, 01:34 PM
great recruiting coup by hevesy. the guy really knows how to fight off those other BCS coaches for highly ranked O-Linemen. Knowing he's the only one who recruits O-Linemen makes me feel that much better about it. thanks for sharing that. I feel much more updated and knowledgeable about what is making us so proficient in this area.

Haha, no joke. Hevesey owns Alcorn.

MetEdDawg
02-02-2014, 01:37 PM
Hevesy also owns one of the top guards in the 2014 NFL Draft and will own two more NFL Draft OL in 2015. That guy blows.

Coach34
02-02-2014, 01:41 PM

Thomas had a rough Spring but was much better in the Fall. Lots more optimism now about him being able to play some snaps this come September. We'll see in March/April if he can pass the next test

Big Daddy Dawg
02-02-2014, 02:04 PM
You know, I will never forget when we were all discussing DoomzDay when he was being recruited, someone posted a video of Day, I will never forget how he always kept blocking down field, I told my son, "that's how you play OL"!

maroonmania
02-02-2014, 02:08 PM
I'm really sick of Mullen not being able to close**

Look I'm glad we nailed down some prospects but we've known all along that Gray and Jenkins were just waiting for us to offer which we wouldn't have had some other prospects fell our way. Shepard we've known about getting since before the weekend but he has a lot to overcome academically. Let's not act like we've pulled some big coup over the weekend. What it tells me is likely no Thomas, no Carter and no Griffin. Guess we will now see what happens with Harris and Smith. IMO this class is going to end up being a definite step down from the previous 2 classes. Others may feel differently but just calling it like I see it.

MetEdDawg
02-02-2014, 02:19 PM
Look I'm glad we nailed down some prospects but we've known all along that Gray and Jenkins were just waiting for us to offer which we wouldn't have had some other prospects fell our way. Shepard we've known about getting since before the weekend but he has a lot to overcome academically. Let's not act like we've pulled some big coup over the weekend. What it tells me is likely no Thomas, no Carter and no Griffin. Guess we will now see what happens with Harris and Smith. IMO this class is going to end up being a definite step down from the previous 2 classes. Others may feel differently but just calling it like I see it.

Just another way to bash Mullen in my opinion. Just because we are supposed to get a guy or that a guy really wants to come to us doesn't always mean we get them. Guess even MSU fans can find a negative about getting the former #3 CB in the country who is now according to 24/7 the best JUCO CB in the country and has 3 years to play 3 seasons.

And I think this class is HIGHLY underrated. Aeris, Green, Jackson, Graham, and Shepherd are legit. Cooper is going to be a beast and is a lot like Dez Harris. One of our QBs is going to pan out and eventually be very good for us. I think it's Staley. Cooke may be our place kicker next year. I could go on but there's no need. Point is that this class is not going to show us much of anything the next two years because of how young and deep we are. Most of this class will RS and not make an impact for a while, but they will definitely make an impact. This class is sneaky good. Not a lot of star power in the middle, but I think we have a bunch of guys that are gonna work their tails off for MSU and turn into solid football players.

civildawg
02-02-2014, 02:22 PM

Thank goodness someone else gets it. These guys are like plan C's and that's disappointing. We are the worst recruiting team in the sec. Vandy would be ahead of us if their coach didn't leave. I know stars are subjective but do you really think the worst recruiting team in a conference ever has a chance to win it? If ole miss would have been pulling these guys we would be laughing at them because of the lack of stars and offers but everyone on here is making it seem like we just landed 2 five stars

chef dixon
02-02-2014, 02:22 PM
This years class is as good as last years at the very least. I think Chris Jones alone warps people's opinion.

I think I've seen about 6 different spellings of Shepard on this board. Hopefully the guy who made the Sameul jersey doesn't have to do Tee's.

MetEdDawg
02-02-2014, 02:25 PM
Thank goodness someone else gets it. These guys are like plan C's and that's disappointing. We are the worst recruiting team in the sec. Vandy would be ahead of us if their coach didn't leave. I know stars are subjective but do you really think the worst recruiting team in a conference ever has a chance to win it? If ole miss would have been pulling these guys we would be laughing at them because of the lack of stars and offers but everyone on here is making it seem like we just landed 2 five stars

Go ask Ole Miss what their record is against us with all of these stars they have been getting then come back and find me. They can laugh all they want in February but until they prove to me they can beat us in November, I'll sit here and laugh at those who STILL think stars matter. It's already been proven that #15-#40 in the recruiting rankings can be a crap shoot. Add to the fact we may only take 21 or 22 players this year and it's blatantly obvious that the recruiting rankings were not going to favor us this year.

maroonmania
02-02-2014, 02:30 PM
Just another way to bash Mullen in my opinion. Just because we are supposed to get a guy or that a guy really wants to come to us doesn't always mean we get them. Guess even MSU fans can find a negative about getting the former #3 CB in the country who is now according to 24/7 the best JUCO CB in the country and has 3 years to play 3 seasons.

And I think this class is HIGHLY underrated. Aeris, Green, Jackson, Graham, and Shepherd are legit. Cooper is going to be a beast and is a lot like Dez Harris. One of our QBs is going to pan out and eventually be very good for us. I think it's Staley. Cooke may be our place kicker next year. I could go on but there's no need. Point is that this class is not going to show us much of anything the next two years because of how young and deep we are. Most of this class will RS and not make an impact for a while, but they will definitely make an impact. This class is sneaky good. Not a lot of star power in the middle, but I think we have a bunch of guys that are gonna work their tails off for MSU and turn into solid football players.

Bashing Mullen because I gave my opinion on the recruiting class? Is this Genespage? And let's HOPE this class is underrated given its current ranking (and for the record I agree its better than ~40th). I'm basically going off of our OWN coaches rankings in the order that they are giving offers to folks. We are not even signing a full class but we are down to offering folks that we didn't originally believe we would have room for. But who knows, some of these late guys may turn out to be really good for us but I'm just comparing with what we've done the previous 2 years. IF we can pull Smith and Harris and hold everyone else I will definitely feel better.

Bothrops
02-02-2014, 02:31 PM
We get the guys that want to come here, we don't get the ones that don't. The staff is doing what they can. This is one of the best classes of skill*cough*guys we've had. I think we will sign Grant Harris and maybe a last min grab and be done.

maroonmania
02-02-2014, 02:32 PM

Exactly, its disappointing we are taking ANY plan C guys when we aren't even signing a full class. If we were signing the full 25 it would be a little more acceptable.

Bully13
02-02-2014, 02:34 PM
We get the guys that want to come here, we don't get the ones that don't. The staff is doing what they can. This is one of the best classes of skill*cough*guys we've had. I think we will sign Grant Harris and maybe a last min grab and be done.

well, we may need to start doing things to make more WANT to come here if that's the case. maroon mania makes good points.

HancockCountyDog
02-02-2014, 02:36 PM
Exactly, its disappointing we are taking ANY plan C guys when we aren't even signing a full class. If we were signing the full 25 it would be a little more acceptable.

I don't give a shit about how our class compares to the Bears - they are just one gosh damn team. We have to play AU, LSU, AL, A&M and those teams are having great recruiting seasons.

I always expect us to be the bears, but unfortunately I have higher expectations than 6-8 wins. The only way to start beating teams like I named above on any basis is to start recruiting better. Im not ready to call this recruiting class over yet, but if we don't land at least one of the highly rated DL that we are still chasing, then it will be disappointing and not a step in the direction of catching up with those teams.

GreenheadDawg
02-02-2014, 02:42 PM

I totally agree. Lets not act like we just flipped some guys from Alabama and Ohio State. I'm pretty pumped about Tee, his video shows skill and instinct that can't be taught. But the other 2 are plan C's or D's and tells me that the coaching staff got some news they didn't like from big boys. But when it comes down to it this year isn't any different than the others , we won't get any 5 stars unless they are from MS and we won't beat out other BCS schools for elite talent from other states. It is what it is. I think our staff is one of the best in the country at developing players so I'll put my trust in that and not the star rankings.

MabenMaroon
02-02-2014, 02:56 PM
How did you learn that today's commits are Plan B or Plan C recruits?
So you have been sitting in on the MSU recruiting discussions with the coaches, that is cool, you must have special privileges. I really hope you will expound further and keep us all abreast of all the developments in MSU recruiting from here on.

chef dixon
02-02-2014, 02:56 PM
What was the deal with Gray? Why was he not more of a priority? It looks as if he is a solid player and had a lot of interest. Just seemed like neither MSU or OM was bending over backwards to get him.

hacker
02-02-2014, 02:57 PM
You guys don't get it. Nobody is acting like we just stole guys from Alabama and Ohio State. We are excited because we know Shepard, Gray, and Jenkins are all really good players and are only going to get better with our development. Star ratings be damned. If you can't be excited about the future for these three kids, what the hell are you doing here?

HoopsDawg
02-02-2014, 03:09 PM
You guys don't get it. Nobody is acting like we just stole guys from Alabama and Ohio State. We are excited because we know Shepard, Gray, and Jenkins are all really good players and are only going to get better with our development. Star ratings be damned. If you can't be excited about the future for these three kids, what the hell are you doing here?

A week ago, you had no idea who Jenkins was.

Dawg61
02-02-2014, 03:10 PM
Getting Tee made my day!!

Thick
02-02-2014, 03:14 PM
And three months ago, this board didn't know who Rawlings was, so your point is what??

hailmari
02-02-2014, 03:15 PM
What was the deal with Gray? Why was he not more of a priority? It looks as if he is a solid player and had a lot of interest. Just seemed like neither MSU or OM was bending over backwards to get him.

I don't know why Gray wasn't more highly recruited, he was as impressive as anybody I saw this year. He looked like a bigger, stronger, and maybe faster version of Kendrick Market when I watched him.

HancockCountyDog
02-02-2014, 03:15 PM
How did you learn that today's commits are Plan B or Plan C recruits?
So you have been sitting in on the MSU recruiting discussions with the coaches, that is cool, you must have special privileges. I really hope you will expound further and keep us all abreast of all the developments in MSU recruiting from here on.

Are you trying to be dense?

Its simple - Rawlings was plan A - because we offered him in ****ing October. We didn't offer Stallings or Jenkins, because we had Rawlings.

We lose Rawlings.

Stallings became Plan B - we offered him and wanted him - We did not offer Jenkins, because we wanted Stallings.

We lose Stallings.

Jenkins is Plan C- We offered and he commits. If he had decided to pass and take a Sun Belt offer - then Jimmy Terry out of Madison or whoever would be Plan D.

If Jenkins was Plan A - we would have offered him back in October like we did Rawlings, if he was Plan B, we would have offered in December/January when we did Stalings, but we didn't. We offered a few days before signing day. That is Plan C.

Now, this doesn't mean he won't be a helluva player - but according to our own coaches, he was at best the 3rd best guy on our board.

HoopsDawg
02-02-2014, 03:16 PM
And three months ago, this board didn't know who Rawlings was, so your point is what??

If I have to explain it, then I can't help u. Sorry bro.

Thick
02-02-2014, 03:22 PM
Dude you don't have to explain shit me. I'm a former player, and I promise you that I totally understand the recruiting game and what it takes to start in the SEC. I promise you this I'm more connected to MSU then you or anyone else on this board will ever be.

HoopsDawg
02-02-2014, 03:29 PM
Dude you don't have to explain shit me. I'm a former player, and I promise you that I totally understand the recruiting game and what it takes to start in the SEC. I promise you this I'm more connected to MSU then you or anyone else on this board will ever be.

Then why r u so confused?

Coach34
02-02-2014, 03:41 PM

If we needed 3 yards score, Thick could probably still make the kick out block to get the TB in the end zone. But I wouldnt bet on you making the jump Shumpert did in the Liberty for 6

Bamboo
02-02-2014, 04:03 PM
I love this recruiting class! We got players that are hard working beast mode players that will help bring this team to a sec West Championships and possibly more. Anyone who knows our team and our strengths would have to agree!!

Also, I never understood why so many State fans bash our recruiting, especially since we know how Old Mrs. Likes to copy and paste comments to our recruits. Remember the OM guy who was publicly bashing our recruits, pretending to be State fans, then copying his own comments to tweet them out?

Hell, if I owned this board, I'd delete every negative post during this time.

maroonmania
02-02-2014, 07:02 PM
Are you trying to be dense?

Its simple - Rawlings was plan A - because we offered him in ****ing October. We didn't offer Stallings or Jenkins, because we had Rawlings.

We lose Rawlings.

Stallings became Plan B - we offered him and wanted him - We did not offer Jenkins, because we wanted Stallings.

We lose Stallings.

Jenkins is Plan C- We offered and he commits. If he had decided to pass and take a Sun Belt offer - then Jimmy Terry out of Madison or whoever would be Plan D.

If Jenkins was Plan A - we would have offered him back in October like we did Rawlings, if he was Plan B, we would have offered in December/January when we did Stalings, but we didn't. We offered a few days before signing day. That is Plan C.

Now, this doesn't mean he won't be a helluva player - but according to our own coaches, he was at best the 3rd best guy on our board.

Thanks for laying it out for those who apparently have not been following along. This stuff ain't rocket surgery.

maroonmania
02-02-2014, 07:05 PM

I know Shepard is certainly a heck of a player if he is willing to put in a LOT of work to earn his eligibility. I think Gray is pretty good but he had no other SEC offers and we held off until the very end to offer. I know little to nothing about Jenkins who was primarily offered by Sun Belt schools.

hacker
02-02-2014, 07:31 PM
A week ago, you had no idea who Jenkins was.

me?? what the hell are you talking about?

hacker
02-02-2014, 07:33 PM
Then why r u so confused?

Maybe he's confused because you rarely make a post that isn't self-defeating

PendingTransaction
02-02-2014, 08:00 PM
We don't want the big name players that go to other SEC teams. They are just "pre- madonnas or post-madonnas." Mullen wants to be the first coach to win champships with an average 2.32845 star ranking; I can't believe you guys can't see that. Offering Rawlings and Stallings was just part of the master plan. He really didn't want them. Think about how he will snatch an offer. Hevesy is really a super nice guy with great charisma. But he's in on the plan. Do you really think Townsend couldn't bring in 3-4 5 stars, flashing that Superbowl rang. Mullen got'em right where he wants them! Championships Baby

Thick
02-02-2014, 09:45 PM
If we needed 3 yards score, Thick could probably still make the kick out block to get the TB in the end zone. But I wouldnt bet on you making the jump Shumpert did in the Liberty for 6

Coach, you know that I would have created a hole. No need to leap over the pile. Off topic, that Seahawk D is nasty baby!!