PDA

View Full Version : Trey carter

msstate7
02-02-2014, 09:14 AM
What happened with him? Friday it seemed we would get him now I'm reading on message boards we won't.

I seen it dawg
02-02-2014, 09:19 AM
Wednesday will be here before you know it.

msstate7
02-02-2014, 09:23 AM
Wednesday will be here before you know it.

I hope so. Recruiting season in football shortens my life or drives me crazy.

maroonmania
02-02-2014, 09:24 AM
Closing the deal is not our strong suit so why would you be surprised if true?

msstate7
02-02-2014, 09:30 AM

Nothing surprises me in recruiting anymore

msstate7
02-02-2014, 09:31 AM
Will Coleman's trip to asu is suddenly becoming more and more worrisome to me

MetEdDawg
02-02-2014, 09:36 AM

Tell that to Benny Brown, Richie Brown, Fred Ross and Chris Jones. We have certainly gotten better at it from when Mullen got here and those 4 right there over the last two years prove that.

msstate7
02-02-2014, 09:46 AM
So met, you got any good news from this weekend? Think we finish strong or with a thud?

Really Clark?
02-02-2014, 09:50 AM
So met, you got any good news from this weekend? Think we finish strong or with a thud?

Because getting Tee right now when we didn't even know he was available a few days ago is finishing with a thud? This is an elite player. Be happy we are closing with him in the group.

HancockCountyDog
02-02-2014, 09:53 AM
I wish everyone wouldn't freak out at the first hint of bad news.

MetEdDawg
02-02-2014, 09:56 AM
I think it's going to be a good finish. I think Shepherd and Gray are two we definitely get. The big question here is the DL. We've got Carter, OJ, Griffin, and Harris left on the board. I have to think we would take Carter and Griffin first if they decide they want to commit. No grade casualty there and both are solid players, and both are different players. One DE the other DT. If one of those decide not to go to MSU, what do we do about OJ? Is he gonna stay with Bama? Will he possibly look around more? I have to think if he decides not to go to Bama then he comes to us. But if we only get 1 of those 3 mentioned, then I think Harris is on board. I'm not terribly sure how committable his offer is right now with the number and quality of the DL we have left on the board, but I think he wants to stay in state.

Gonna be an interesting signing day though. It could be badass or it could be underwhelming. But think about the fact that underwhelming would be only getting Harris, Gray, Shepherd, and maybe Jenkins, then compare that to previous closes and that's still probably our best close ever.

Really Clark?
02-02-2014, 09:58 AM
I wish everyone wouldn't freak out at the first hint of bad news.

No kidding or at least get excited about getting an elite player or quit buying the perception that we can't close or get elite kids.

msstate7
02-02-2014, 10:07 AM
Because getting Tee right now when we didn't even know he was available a few days ago is finishing with a thud? This is an elite player. Be happy we are closing with him in the group.

Where did I say we were finishing with a thud? I asked a question and you responded to it like I made a statement. Settle down...

Political Hack
02-02-2014, 10:16 AM
Tell that to Benny Brown, Richie Brown, Fred Ross and Chris Jones. We have certainly gotten better at it from when Mullen got here and those 4 right there over the last two years prove that.

In all fairness, those guys were commits we all hung on too. We aren't the best at bringing in big time commits late. Even Fred was a well known commodity long before he committed.

That said, I have no clue how we finish and every year is different.

MetEdDawg
02-02-2014, 10:20 AM
In all fairness, those guys were commits we all hung on too. We aren't the best at bringing in big time commits late. Even Fred was a well known commodity long before he committed.

That said, I have no clue how we finish and every year is different.

You are kidding right? Benny and Richie both announced their decision on signing day and to my knowledge never once committed to us during the process until signing day. We knew they were very interested, but Richie could have gone to OM or Tennessee and Benny could have gone to Auburn. Those are battles we won on signing day. And just because Fred Ross was a commodity that was well known doesn't mean it wasn't a get for us on signing day. We knew he was interested and there was a good chance he would flip, but are we really going to discount what Mullen did in getting Fred Ross because it was well known he would probably flip? I sure as hell won't.

HancockCountyDog
02-02-2014, 10:23 AM
I think it's going to be a good finish. I think Shepherd and Gray are two we definitely get. The big question here is the DL. We've got Carter, OJ, Griffin, and Harris left on the board. I have to think we would take Carter and Griffin first if they decide they want to commit. No grade casualty there and both are solid players, and both are different players. One DE the other DT. If one of those decide not to go to MSU, what do we do about OJ? Is he gonna stay with Bama? Will he possibly look around more? I have to think if he decides not to go to Bama then he comes to us. But if we only get 1 of those 3 mentioned, then I think Harris is on board. I'm not terribly sure how committable his offer is right now with the number and quality of the DL we have left on the board, but I think he wants to stay in state.

Gonna be an interesting signing day though. It could be badass or it could be underwhelming. But think about the fact that underwhelming would be only getting Harris, Gray, Shepherd, and maybe Jenkins, then compare that to previous closes and that's still probably our best close ever.

What about Cory Thomas? I'm hearing different things right now.

MetEdDawg
02-02-2014, 10:25 AM
Thomas has been almost dead silent during this entire process so it's hard to get a read on the situation. I think he's highly underrated and would be a great get for us. But it just seems like nobody knows what the hell is going on with him. If I had to guess I would say he won't be part of our class, but honestly I have no idea and I would think there aren't but a handful of people who actually do know what will happen with him.

Really Clark?
02-02-2014, 10:31 AM
Even if we only end up with Tee, Gray, Harris it's not a thud so why ask that. It paints a reception that we never get anyone late or elite, but like met said the last two years proves that's not the case. Trying to take the pulse of these kids every 15 min will drive you crazy. Half of these kids don't know what they are going to do right now. It's a long way to Wednesday and I guarantee things will change a dozen times before then. Not mention that there will be something stated by some site guy that will try to put everyone in a frenzy. The only thing I can guarantee is someone will not like our finish no matter who we get because they have invested into that mindset no matter what and there will be someone that will be convenienced that this is the most underrated class ever assembled and will make the case it's really a top 5 class. The truth is somewhere in the middle just celebrate who we do end up with.

SDDawg
02-02-2014, 10:42 AM
I may be a minority, but I don't want to sneak in during the middle of the night and try to buy recruits right before NSD, that's not where we need to be as a program. Mullen has been building a class for 6 months after more than year to scope out the 2014 class, now we're at the 11th hour and most of the pieces are in place. If we finish with 5 guys including Tee, JT, two DL types and a project OL that needs some development I'm happy with it. Some kid that you bought and paid for and doesn't want to be here come summer doesn't help you at all anyway.

msstate7
02-02-2014, 10:50 AM
Even if we only end up with Tee, Gray, Harris it's not a thud so why ask that. It paints a reception that we never get anyone late or elite, but like met said the last two years proves that's not the case. Trying to take the pulse of these kids every 15 min will drive you crazy. Half of these kids don't know what they are going to do right now. It's a long way to Wednesday and I guarantee things will change a dozen times before then. Not mention that there will be something stated by some site guy that will try to put everyone in a frenzy. The only thing I can guarantee is someone will not like our finish no matter who we get because they have invested into that mindset no matter what and there will be someone that will be convenienced that this is the most underrated class ever assembled and will make the case it's really a top 5 class. The truth is somewhere in the middle just celebrate who we do end up with.

Well last I checked we only have 2 guarantees -- nick fitz and j. Johnson. You just stated its a long way till wed, so I shouldn't have to tell you don't take any kid for granted. Every team has a chance of ending with a thud and we certainly can too.

maroonmania
02-02-2014, 11:16 AM
No kidding or at least get excited about getting an elite player or quit buying the perception that we can't close or get elite kids.

Who is freaking out? I made the simple comment that closing on recruits, especially late in the process, is not our strong suit and I will stand by that. Now into Mullen's 6th recruiting class its a fair judgment to make. Doesn't mean we don't EVER close because we have but when guys are truly undecided in the last few weeks of recruiting we lose a WHOLE LOT more than we pick up. Things have improved a little over the past couple of seasons (especially with holding guys) but for the most part when we get guys its not a surprise to much of anyone even if they haven't publicly announced. We will see what happens but we aren't jumping on anyone late as was mentioned in another post. Harris, Thomas, Carter and even OJ Smith are guys we have been on for a very long time. Griffin is relatively new I guess and Shepard is a precarious academic situation so while it would be tremendous to get him there are reasons we are likely going to be able to get him. But who knows what happens, nobody has officially committed from any of that group or, in the case of Thomas and Carter, decommitted from their current team.

Bully13
02-02-2014, 11:55 AM
what I don't like is the Sims situation. If he's deciding between us and OM, then there is no way we should be losing out on a guy like that. he would be our # 1 OL get this year and he will be OM'S # 3 guy this year. we should not be losing a guy like sims to OM this year based on who they've got committed vs who we have committed. Period. end of story. someone needs to be held accountable. this is not acceptable especially considering we've beaten them 4 out of the last 5 times.

msstate7
02-02-2014, 11:59 AM
what I don't like is the Sims situation. If he's deciding between us and OM, then there is no way we should be losing out on a guy like that. he would be our # 1 OL get this year and he will be OM'S # 3 guy this year. we should not be losing a guy like sims to OM this year based on who they've got committed vs who we have committed. Period. end of story. someone needs to be held accountable. this is not acceptable especially considering we've beaten them 4 out of the last 5 times.

Sims has no chance of starting for us next season, but he does at OM. That could play a part

chef dixon
02-02-2014, 12:02 PM

I think the fact that people just plain want to go to one place over another is severely overlooked and underrated in recruiting.

mic
02-02-2014, 12:03 PM

While I agree we need to do better in recruiting the OL next year. But who is OM #2 ahead of Sims. ? and look at the depth charts. OM lost 6 maybe 7 OL from last years team. While we lost 2 with some possible very good soph and rsfrosh.. And if bama or Aub would offer the Sims kid he would be heading there.

SDDawg
02-02-2014, 12:10 PM
This whole narrative where OM is killing us in recruiting and Hevesy and Mullen are to blame is so old and tired. When this series goes to 5 out of 6 or even 6 out 7 will you guys finally give up the ghost? Do we have to wait for Freeze to get fired? Seriously, what do you need to see? If it's star ranking and a higher "team rating" on a recruiting site then you're never going to because OM lives for this crap and we actually want to win football games. Huge difference.

SDDawg
02-02-2014, 12:17 PM
Report in from another board that both OJ Smith and Marcus Griffin plan to sign on Wednesday and confirmed during OVs, not saying it's a lock but just passing it along.

C222
02-02-2014, 12:24 PM
This whole narrative where OM is killing us in recruiting and Hevesy and Mullen are to blame is so old and tired. When this series goes to 5 out of 6 or even 6 out 7 will you guys finally give up the ghost? Do we have to wait for Freeze to get fired? Seriously, what do you need to see? If it's star ranking and a higher "team rating" on a recruiting site then you're never going to because OM lives for this crap and we actually want to win football games. Huge difference.

It's not a narrative. They beat us in recruiting.

And we aren't getting Griffin or Thomas.

Coach34
02-02-2014, 12:29 PM
This wasnt a good year for OL recruits. Much better class of these guys next year

SDDawg
02-02-2014, 12:40 PM
It's not a narrative. They beat us in recruiting.

And we aren't getting Griffin or Thomas.

Edited- not worth the time and effort to argue this BS anymore.

bulldawg28
02-02-2014, 12:41 PM
What about the kid from Ms that now has to Grey shirt at FSU? Are we looking at him?

dawg27
02-02-2014, 12:45 PM
have we still got a good shot at landing him? I will be the first to say i got upset some about recruiting,but i looked and we got a good bunch of guys,and i trust mullen we are putting a good football team on the field cant wait till kickoff.

preachermatt83
02-02-2014, 02:31 PM
Report in from another board that both OJ Smith and Marcus Griffin plan to sign on Wednesday and confirmed during OVs, not saying it's a lock but just passing it along.

Link?

That would be AWESOME!