PDA

View Full Version : The Rams moving back to Los Angeles?

Todd4State
02-01-2014, 10:34 PM
I saw where their owner bought about 60 acres across from the LA Forum.

I hope that they do move back to Los Angeles. And then what I would like to see is the Jaguars move to St. Louis. Maybe change the name to something else. Anyway, that way St. Louis would be playing the Colts, Titans, and Texans every year as opposed to the 49ers, Seahawks, and Cardinals. The AFC South just seems like a better fit geographically speaking.

nsvltndog
02-01-2014, 11:04 PM
That's a very interesting scenario you outlined. It's not hard to connect the dots and see the LA part happening. Is the JAX to STL part getting whispered anywhere or is it simply a wish list item. Makes a lot of sense geographically and there is no doubt that the NFL is struggling in the Jacksonville market. They don't have the long term history to put up with a horrible product on the field and still support the team like some of the long time NFL cities.

Todd4State
02-02-2014, 12:02 AM
The part about Jacksonville is just me talking.

I do think that the Rams will move most likely. Their lease is about to run out unless St. Louis upgrades the Edward Jones Dome.

Back in the early 90's when the NFL expanded to the Panthers and Jaguars, there were rumors that one of those expansion teams was going to be in St. Louis and called the Stallions. There were some issues with building a new stadium or something or the other and allegedly that's why it fell through.

The Rams old owner- Georgia Fronteire is from St. Louis. She married the Rams owner and then got the team when he died- I think he drowned in a pool or something. They used to be in Anaheim and they had to compete with the Raiders at that time as well. They would do a lot better now as the only team in town and in the middle of the city.

I think for the Jaguars to move, they have to prove that they've lost money two years in a row and something else to get out of their lease which goes through 2030.

Dawg61
02-02-2014, 12:11 AM
From what I've read the buying of the 60 acres is just the first hurdle of many more to come to get a team in LA. If the Jaguars move anywhere I think it'll be to London. Their owner has already had them play in London and he's an owner of an English Premier League club as well plus Roger Goodell really really wants a London team within 10 years. London Jaguars is my guess.

Political Hack
02-02-2014, 07:58 AM
St. Louis is going to eventually fall in a ditch. LA may fall off the west coast.

I'd move to them to Canada and try to work with the CFL to make it the official minor league of the NFL. This talk of making the game international should start there. it's an untapped market That would expand the CFL's viewership so much that it would increase the cfl and NFL revenue

Air of The Dawg
02-02-2014, 09:53 AM
I saw where their owner bought about 60 acres across from the LA Forum.

I hope that they do move back to Los Angeles. And then what I would like to see is the Jaguars move to St. Louis. Maybe change the name to something else. Anyway, that way St. Louis would be playing the Colts, Titans, and Texans every year as opposed to the 49ers, Seahawks, and Cardinals. The AFC South just seems like a better fit geographically speaking.

Old school here and they will always be the Los Angeles Rams (and for that matter ditto on the St. Louis Cardinals) The Jaguar move, will probably not happen as they are a regional fit and content where they are. Your AFC South arrangement does sound pretty good though.

Others have mentioned a CFL team or merge and maybe International (London) That's a WHOLE new ballgame and yet may come to be. The big key here is like Political Hack said is the viewer audience and "revenue" which motivates all things. I saw the AFL do it and they struggled in the beginning but when NBC picked them up, it was on.

But if something like that eventually happens, does the field width and length remain the same ? To be 'even-steven' does everyone play games in a dome or outdoors? Just throwing it out there..

If all that happens I wouldn't mind sharing some of that frequent flyer mileage ?:)

Political Hack
02-02-2014, 10:12 AM
y'all heard it... my first trip to see the NFL team in Toronto is on air of the dawg.

DownwardDawg
02-02-2014, 10:20 AM
That's a very interesting scenario you outlined. It's not hard to connect the dots and see the LA part happening. Is the JAX to STL part getting whispered anywhere or is it simply a wish list item. Makes a lot of sense geographically and there is no doubt that the NFL is struggling in the Jacksonville market. They don't have the long term history to put up with a horrible product on the field and still support the team like some of the long time NFL cities.

All Jacksonville had to do was sign Tebow and that stadium would be packed and they would be selling more Tebow jerseys than any other jersey sales in the history of the NFL.

Air of The Dawg
02-02-2014, 10:22 AM
We be part of history, eh?

Quaoarsking
02-02-2014, 10:43 AM
IIRC the Toronto and Montreal CFL teams are barely profitable and have had to be bailed out by the league more than once to avoid bankruptcy. I can only assume it's because these major cities (would be the 10th and 16th biggest metros in the US) don't really care about what's essentially minor league football.

I'd expand the NFL to 36 with Toronto, Montreal, London, and Los Angeles. If the Rams get to LA first, then put the new team in St. Louis. If the Jags move to London, give the new team to San Antonio. Go to 6 divisions of 6 teams.