PDA

View Full Version : Ok, no gripes about our likely class, but dammit why

Dawgowar
02-01-2014, 08:07 PM
no kicker? We know the ones on the roster have 'issues'. We have thus far, at least publicly, not made any movement to correct our ST situation with coaching additions or shuffling of duties. The same two human heart attack inducers are going to be lining up 15 yards out next fall. Will it be "It's Good!" or "Release the Shankapotomus!"

Does anyone have a single shred of credible info that says we are fixing this weakest link? Any chance there is a kicker or two or three out there we might bring in?

If we are going to make a run at a great season the ST has to be a heck of a lot better than this year's version.

JDog13
02-01-2014, 08:17 PM
Did Logan Cooke quit kicking?

Joe Schmedlap
02-01-2014, 08:23 PM
Special teams were "special ed" this year. Would be freakin' insane not to bring in a ST coach and have campus-wide try outs for a place kicker this spring.

CadaverDawg
02-01-2014, 08:27 PM
We're bringing in this guy...

http://247sports.com/Player/Logan-Cooke-29953

Not sure if he kicks field goals, but appears to be a great punter. I think I read that he is a kickoff guy as well. Maybe someone can elaborate on if he kicks FGs

Todd4State
02-01-2014, 08:40 PM
Bell is pretty good as a kickoff guy and a punter. As a kicker- not so much. Sobiesk was essentially just as bad with less range.

Most of our special teams issues are organizational/sloppy type issues. Someone not blocking someone, a high snap, someone getting out of their lane and allowing a big return, etc. We really more than anything need someone to come in and focus on that and clean that stuff up.

I think Bell could be a really good kicker. But along with what I said- I think he just needs someone (you know- like a special teams coach?) to clean up a few minor things and I think he will be fine. Plus, he'll be a junior as opposed to a freshman or sophomore, so he has experience now.

If it were me, I'd let Sallach spot Dan in the booth on offense- or Gonzales and hire a special teams coach rather than hire an OC who isn't going to call plays any way and continue to suck on special teams keep losing to Auburn because we couldn't make a 30 yard field goal.

DownwardDawg
02-01-2014, 08:46 PM
We're bringing in this guy...

http://247sports.com/Player/Logan-Cooke-29953

Not sure if he kicks field goals, but appears to be a great punter. I think I read that he is a kickoff guy as well. Maybe someone can elaborate on if he kicks FGs

He kicks FG's and is a beast of a kicker from what I'm told. I hunt with a young man (Son of a friend of mine) who is at State now. he graduated from columbia Academy and he is currently friends with Devin Bell. He has told me several times that Logan will be the FG kicker the minute he steps on campus. He is much better than Bell according to him. I guess we'll see in time. You know how these kickers work out.

Political Hack
02-01-2014, 08:46 PM
Sobiesk wasn't as bad. He had one blocked and missed the game winner against OM under extreme pressure (after he hit a must make FG right before). Remove those two FGs and his make / miss isn't that bad. I still have faith that he can get things straight and be a solid kicker from 45 and in.

Todd4State
02-01-2014, 08:58 PM
Sobiesk wasn't as bad. He had one blocked and missed the game winner against OM under extreme pressure (after he hit a must make FG right before). Remove those two FGs and his make / miss isn't that bad. I still have faith that he can get things straight and be a solid kicker from 45 and in.

Sobiesk- 3/6 on FGs.

Bell- 6/14 on FGs.

42% vs. 50%- Sobiesk was slightly better. But both need to get better than that. I'm not too down on Sobiesk either- he was a freshman and again, like Bell- I think a special teams coach would help him out tremendously.

smootness
02-01-2014, 09:24 PM
Special teams were "special ed" this year.

Seriously?

Dawgowar
02-01-2014, 10:00 PM
He kicks FG's and is a beast of a kicker from what I'm told. I hunt with a young man (Son of a friend of mine) who is at State now. he graduated from columbia Academy and he is currently friends with Devin Bell. He has told me several times that Logan will be the FG kicker the minute he steps on campus. He is much better than Bell according to him. I guess we'll see in time. You know how these kickers work out.

That is good news if he can kick FG's, thought he was just a punter and kick-off guy.

Political Hack
02-01-2014, 10:02 PM
Sobiesk- 3/6 on FGs.

Bell- 6/14 on FGs.

42% vs. 50%- Sobiesk was slightly better. But both need to get better than that. I'm not too down on Sobiesk either- he was a freshman and again, like Bell- I think a special teams coach would help him out tremendously.

even if you just remove the block he was 3/5 which is better than what we were seeing.

Schultzy
02-01-2014, 10:15 PM
The kick he made to tie in the fourth on Thanksgiving was clutch and definitely something to build on.

The miss to win was struck well and barely missed. There is hope Sobiesk to be a reliable mid range fg kicker for us.

Todd4State
02-01-2014, 10:20 PM
even if you just remove the block he was 3/5 which is better than what we were seeing.

Who was the block against? I can't remember if the block was his fault or not. If he kicked it low, then that was on him. All I remember was him getting an extra point blocked in the Liberty Bowl.

Regardless, it all goes back to fundamentals and cleaning that aspect up big time.

War Machine Dawg
02-01-2014, 10:33 PM
Who was the block against? I can't remember if the block was his fault or not. If he kicked it low, then that was on him. All I remember was him getting an extra point blocked in the Liberty Bowl.

Regardless, it all goes back to fundamentals and cleaning that aspect up big time.

The block was on his OLine. The guard got completely blown up, barely threw more than a lookout block. The XP in the Liberty.....same thing. We NEED a full-time ST coach. It could easily be the difference in 8 wins or 10 next season. Hell, if we could kick FGs this season we'd have beaten Auburn.