PDA

View Full Version : Baseball thoughts

MsStateBaseball
02-01-2014, 07:45 PM
Either our pitching is great or we can't hit. I go w the pitching. Goodness we are going to be really good.

maroonmania
02-01-2014, 07:47 PM
Probably a little of both, we did lose 2 of our best hitters from last year.

Schultzy
02-01-2014, 07:50 PM
Robson and Britton hit the ball hard today. Pirtle as well. Even CT started the game off with a line shot up the middle.

Could the weather be as good opening day?!!?

Jacksondevildog
02-01-2014, 07:55 PM
The hitting will come around. We may play a little more small ball this year because we don't have a lot of power, but we do have some plus runners. I expect more hit and runs, steals and putting more pressure on the defense. Pitching is good and deep. We will be good defensively. We just need a guy to step up at SS as an every day guy that we can depend on.

missouridawg
02-01-2014, 07:58 PM
Are the addidas bats better than the Easton ones we used last year?

Coach34
02-01-2014, 07:59 PM
I called Britton being a player- I thought we would have gotten more out of him last year, BUT being a year late is not so bad. Look forward to watching him play this year and glad to see him being patient waiting for his time to shine

Jacksondevildog
02-01-2014, 08:09 PM
Allegedly, they are. I've heard that the staff really likes the new bats. But I'm sure that every game we don't swing it well, people will bitch about them and want to swing wood.

AFDawg
02-01-2014, 08:10 PM

Supposedly they push the BBCOR limits so much that we have to make sure they don't break in past them. We shall see.

CadaverDawg
02-01-2014, 08:20 PM
I called Britton being a player- I thought we would have gotten more out of him last year, BUT being a year late is not so bad. Look forward to watching him play this year and glad to see him being patient waiting for his time to shine

Yea, I've always been a big Britton guy too. Looks like he will finally break out this year. Dude has some serious speed to go with a ton of pop in his bat.

CadaverDawg
02-01-2014, 08:21 PM
In college baseball, I would always prefer for our pitching to be ahead of our hitting. Seems like the best chance at continued success is to maintain a deep, solid pitching staff

Todd4State
02-01-2014, 08:27 PM
We don't have a lot of power at this moment. Maybe Humphries and Garner will turn it on late- but they're just freshman. Rea is the only reliable power hitter that we have right now. And like I said when we played Central Arkansas last year in the regional- the way to stop a team like that is with power arms. We brought Girodo in for the regional finale and made that douche stop whistling after every pitch.

The good news is we have some guys that have power arms. But we're probably struggle at times against some of the top end pitchers in the league (who doesn't?). I still expect us to be good because I expect our pitching and defense to be better and I also expect us to manufacture more runs than last year. UCLA won a National Title with that recipe last year.

Todd4State
02-01-2014, 08:28 PM

He's always had athletic ability- it's just a question of can he translate that into baseball ability?

messageboardsuperhero
02-01-2014, 10:44 PM
This fall, some people were worried about our pitching because we were really hitting well- now that we're pitching well, people will worry about our hitting. Such is the nature of preseason scrimmages.

From what I'm hearing, this is going to be a balanced team. Even though the pitching has been good the past few scrimmages, we're still getting base hits and hitting balls hard. Apparently our catchers controlling the run game could be an issue- and that may be our only question mark defensively. Then again, we have some fast guys on the bases, so that's hopefully just good base running.

Bottom line- this is Cohen's most talented team yet. Just look forward to watching some good baseball in a couple of weeks.

Schultzy
02-02-2014, 07:41 AM
We stayed on top of the ball better yesterday than I'd seen in the past. More line drives and hard hit ground balls, fewer lazy fly balls. Especially our veterans, so I hope this is the approach we are emphasizing at the plate this year.

Garner is well put together and generates bat speed. He will provide some power for us during his career and maybe this year.

dawgoneyall
02-02-2014, 07:53 AM
Everyone forgets defense. We should be really good on defense.

In college more games are lost via defense than won by offense.

Schultzy
02-02-2014, 08:04 AM
Vickerson ran down a well hit ball in the LC field gap that looked like was going for a double. Armstrong got to a ball hit over his head in center when it looked like he was burned.

Detz made all the routine plays at third as well.

Saltydog
02-02-2014, 08:54 AM
worried about our sticks........I know, I know we'll hit for more all around power this year, yada, yada but taking away those 107 or how many hits Frazier had is gonna hurt.......

Political Hack
02-02-2014, 09:08 AM
We don't have a lot of power at this moment. Maybe Humphries and Garner will turn it on late- but they're just freshman. Rea is the only reliable power hitter that we have right now. And like I said when we played Central Arkansas last year in the regional- the way to stop a team like that is with power arms. We brought Girodo in for the regional finale and made that douche stop whistling after every pitch.

The good news is we have some guys that have power arms. But we're probably struggle at times against some of the top end pitchers in the league (who doesn't?). I still expect us to be good because I expect our pitching and defense to be better and I also expect us to manufacture more runs than last year. UCLA won a National Title with that recipe last year.

isn't that the recipe you want in a huge ballpark at the CWS?