PDA

View Full Version : Super Bowl Forecast

TheRef
02-01-2014, 02:01 PM
So it's that wonderful time of year again, Super Bowl time!!! You remember those theories that it was going to be a blizzard and the coldest Super Bowl in history? Yeah we're not breaking the 39 degree SB Kickoff low temperature record set at SB VI at Tulane Stadium. Moving on, looking at this the Super Bowl is going to miss a slight cold front that will really push through right after the game. I think kickoff temperature will be 39 degrees with winds from the W at 10-15 mph. As we head through the game. The temperature will decrease to around 36 with winds around 15 mph at halftime. As we head towards the end of the game, the temperature will end up around 31 with winds at 15-20 mph as the cold front makes its presence known to those in Super Bowl land. So if you know anyone going to the game, don't tell them to prepare for a Snowpocalypse but to prepare for a climatic normal East Rutherford, NJ.

TheRef
02-01-2014, 02:46 PM
Bump because Super Bowl.

TheRef
02-02-2014, 01:39 AM
Bump bump for Super Bowl. Did I mention bump?

OurState
02-02-2014, 09:30 AM
Question:

Is there local knowledge that aids a meteorologist? I.E. Would you have an advantage predicting the weather for a game is MS over a NY based meteorologist? Are there local considerations one learns through experience or is it pure science?

TheRef
02-02-2014, 11:28 AM
Question:

Is there local knowledge that aids a meteorologist? I.E. Would you have an advantage predicting the weather for a game is MS over a NY based meteorologist? Are there local considerations one learns through experience or is it pure science?

Local experience definitely is an advantage. When you work a location for a long amount of time, you learn tendencies when certain things happen in the upper atmosphere that may not be picked up on in the models. Any time you majorly switch the location of a meteorologist, there will be a learning curve to understand what is the norm there. That's why I will always trust a local met more so than a nationwide meteorologist as far as tv goes. The more you look at and forecast for a location, the better you are at forecasting for that location.

OurState
02-02-2014, 11:35 AM
Tyvm. Interesting.

What are your professional aspirations and what got you interested in meteorology?

TheRef
02-02-2014, 12:57 PM
Tyvm. Interesting.

What are your professional aspirations and what got you interested in meteorology?

Well my first goal would be to get a job at the National Weather Service. If that doesn't work out, I would like to try my hand with emergency management.
My interest in Meteorology started just because of me wondering what makes the atmosphere tick and do what it does. It's a long road, but definitely worth it.