PDA

View Full Version : So Epps just got bumped to a 4-star?

Coach34
02-01-2014, 01:39 PM
did he score a couple of TD's this past week I didnt hear about?

Recruiting and its rankings are just sooooo ****ed up

maroonmania
02-01-2014, 01:46 PM
Guess that's what happens when you want an Auburn offer and can't get one, guess you get bumped to a 4 star.

SDDawg
02-01-2014, 01:47 PM
I'm so sick of this game too, I've seen a few kids get bumped on the rating since the end of the season. Not sure what they did since November that would have caused that. Enjoy following recruiting and hearing what the kids are doing in high school but not a fan of the rankings and all.

JDog13
02-01-2014, 01:50 PM
I think they let him borrow one from Bobby Hill, since he won't be needing it.

ShotgunDawg
02-01-2014, 01:59 PM
4.7 speed = 4 star? Interesting.

msstate7
02-01-2014, 02:00 PM
Just don't see how he will be productive at the next level. To be a successful TE you have to be able to block or be a mismatch with either speed, size, or both. He isn't big enough to block at the LOS. He's not fast enough or big enough to create mismatches.

msstate7
02-01-2014, 02:02 PM

Thought so too. If you're a te running a 4.7, you need to be 6'5" 250 or greater

Sacrifice
02-01-2014, 02:07 PM
I'm surprised Rawlings hasn't Been bumped to a 4* yet.

defiantdog
02-01-2014, 02:12 PM
He's still a composite 3*.... not sure why 247 bumped him to a 90 rating 4* though. Maybe they're trying to give him credit for being the MVP in the MS / AL game. Granted, he's about the same size Malcolm Johnson was when he was a freshman at State. But Epps doesn't have the body structure to support a 30lb wait gain and still be productive. That 4.7 speed will fall to 4.9 speed.

He may be a productive mismatch against a safety down the road for OM, but as of now, he shouldn't be considered a 4*.

ScottH
02-01-2014, 02:13 PM
This is to offset Rawlings 2 star bringing the average down.

It's has become a sad sideshow.

EMDawg
02-01-2014, 02:14 PM
Thought so too. If you're a te running a 4.7, you need to be 6'5" 250 or greater

If Epps is a 4 star, then Hutch should be a 6 star.

Sacrifice
02-01-2014, 02:20 PM
This is to offset Rawlings 2 star bringing the average down.

It's has become a sad sideshow.

Rivals, 247 and scout all have Rawlings as a 3* now. They must have a lot of OM subscribers.

HancockCountyDog
02-01-2014, 02:25 PM
Rivals, 247 and scout all have Rawlings as a 3* now. They must have a lot of OM subscribers.

Steve got him bumped while he was still with us. Not sure about rivals or 247.

I have problems with a lot of OM's commits rankings, but Epps' ranking is not one of them. I wish we could have landed him.

defiantdog
02-01-2014, 02:27 PM
If Epps is a 4 star, then Hutch should be a 6 star.

Rankings are all about media exposure and interest IMO. It seems you have to be from a big time high school, on twitter, answer phone calls from reporters, or have an in home with multiple SEC coaches to be considered a 4* or 5*. Artimas Samuel is a big example here. The guy is a monster on the field and has hands that Calvin Johnson envies. Yet coming out of prep school, he was a 2* (Noted: he was a 3* in high school with 4* caliber offers). Robert Elliot is an example of the opposite. The guy had media exposure left and right, yet he did nothing when he finally made it to State.

ShotgunDawg
02-01-2014, 02:33 PM
Steve got him bumped while he was still with us. Not sure about rivals or 247.

I have problems with a lot of OM's commits rankings, but Epps' ranking is not one of them. I wish we could have landed him.

So... You think a TE that runs a 4.7 and isn't ginormous can be a 4 star?

Goat Holder
02-01-2014, 02:35 PM
Geez, rewind the clock exactly 5 years and it's the same damn story with Pat Patterson. Guy makes a good catch in an All-Star game and jumps from a 3 star to a 5 star. And never amounts to shit.

OurState
02-01-2014, 02:47 PM

Does he play slow?

HancockCountyDog
02-01-2014, 02:51 PM
I'm not going to sit here and pump up a bear commit.

I think he is a damn good player. If he had flipped, we would have his highlights from all star game pinned to top of the damn board.

Also this 4.7 shit is so overblown, that isn't slow if that is an actual laser timed speed. Hell, some wrs at the combine ran 4.65+.

I wish we would just focus on our class instead of the bear sharks. I mean, **** them.

msstate7
02-01-2014, 03:01 PM
I'm not going to sit here and pump up a bear commit.

I think he is a damn good player. If he had flipped, we would have his highlights from all star game pinned to top of the damn board.

Also this 4.7 shit is so overblown, that isn't slow if that is an actual laser timed speed. Hell, some wrs at the combine ran 4.65+.

I wish we would just focus on our class instead of the bear sharks. I mean, **** them.

It's not slow, but sec lb's run that and are bigger. Sec safeties are same size as epps and faster. I just don't see him making plays. If he has to block, I feel sorry for the rb's

Rayburn8
02-01-2014, 03:07 PM
Saw him play vs Lafayette in the playoffs and I don't believe he made a single catch the core of that game was 7-0 Lafayette I was very unimpressed

Really Clark?
02-01-2014, 03:23 PM
Not that I really care for the recruit and actually like who we have better, but there are many assumptions being made that I disagree with. One that he is two slow and will slow down if he puts on X number of pounds. First off 4.7 40 is fine speed for a TE. The first four TE selected for the NFL last year had speeds of 4.68, 4.76, 4.84, & 4.69. Now the question of whether or not his time is accurate compared to combine times we can't honestly know. That's why they time kids at multiple events, camps, etc to at least have a good measurement against his peers. He is listed any where from 6'3" to 6'4.5" and 210-215 lbs. He could lose speed at 250 lbs but then again Eifert and Ertz (the two highest draft TE last year) put on about 30-35 lbs from high school until draft time to be around that 250 weight without losing their ability. How the weight is put on and the type of training means a lot. There is a breaking point but honestly a good receiving TE in the SEC doesn't have to be 6'5-6'7 250-270 lbs. The highest drafted TE from the SEC in 2012 was Jordan Reed from Florida at 6'2"+and 236 lbs and ran 4.72 at the combine and Mychal Rivera from Tenn at 6'2"+ and 242 lbs who ran 4.81 at the combine. They are usually going against OLB and S with good route running you can get plenty of separation with that speed. Now blocking is different but then you are looking at something else in what you want but any speed below 4.9 is fine in that sense if you are talking about blocking as an attached TE. Strength, technique and desire comes into play to block. System also plays a big part. Then again it all depends on what you are asking of the position. But as a TE receiver, his measurables are fine.

Oxfordawg
02-01-2014, 04:25 PM
And Lafayette has zero pass defense.

gravedigger
02-01-2014, 07:15 PM
That is so wrong of you to say that coach. The best teams end up with the best players. It all makes sense.

gravedigger
02-01-2014, 07:18 PM
Steve got him bumped while he was still with us.

Please, for the love of GOD, explain what makes you think this.

(by the way, I agree)

Todd4State
02-01-2014, 07:47 PM
Not that I really care for the recruit and actually like who we have better, but there are many assumptions being made that I disagree with. One that he is two slow and will slow down if he puts on X number of pounds. First off 4.7 40 is fine speed for a TE. The first four TE selected for the NFL last year had speeds of 4.68, 4.76, 4.84, & 4.69. Now the question of whether or not his time is accurate compared to combine times we can't honestly know. That's why they time kids at multiple events, camps, etc to at least have a good measurement against his peers. He is listed any where from 6'3" to 6'4.5" and 210-215 lbs. He could lose speed at 250 lbs but then again Eifert and Ertz (the two highest draft TE last year) put on about 30-35 lbs from high school until draft time to be around that 250 weight without losing their ability. How the weight is put on and the type of training means a lot. There is a breaking point but honestly a good receiving TE in the SEC doesn't have to be 6'5-6'7 250-270 lbs. The highest drafted TE from the SEC in 2012 was Jordan Reed from Florida at 6'2"+and 236 lbs and ran 4.72 at the combine and Mychal Rivera from Tenn at 6'2"+ and 242 lbs who ran 4.81 at the combine. They are usually going against OLB and S with good route running you can get plenty of separation with that speed. Now blocking is different but then you are looking at something else in what you want but any speed below 4.9 is fine in that sense if you are talking about blocking as an attached TE. Strength, technique and desire comes into play to block. System also plays a big part. Then again it all depends on what you are asking of the position. But as a TE receiver, his measurables are fine.

Exactly. I think he's a good player. With a halfway decent strength coach, he could get bigger and faster. They're not going to tell him to go to Cold Stone to gain weight. Weight training has gotten to the point where you can train and you can actually make yourself faster and bigger.

Todd4State
02-01-2014, 07:50 PM
And Lafayette has zero pass defense.

That may very well be. But it is also high school ball. I watched Madison Central when they had Singleton and Price and then they kept handing the ball off to the FB and running mid line option ad nauseum.

We also don't know if there was a Derrick Taite/Eric Moulds situation going on where Epps and the QB weren't getting along and so he wasn't going to get the ball thrown to him no matter what.

TrueReb13
02-01-2014, 08:54 PM
Come on Coach34, you'll were slobbering over him several weeks ago when you thought you had a chance at him. What did your recent TE commit due this year to deserve a 3 star. Two catches per star right?

msstate7
02-01-2014, 09:02 PM
Come on Coach34, you'll were slobbering over him several weeks ago when you thought you had a chance at him. What did your recent TE commit due this year to deserve a 3 star. Two catches per star right?

There's more to playing TE than catching passes. You guys really don't understand how a power back and a big TE can help you in short yardage and goal to go situations. Keep getting the little guys and throwing wr screens...

hacker
02-01-2014, 09:22 PM
This board is good until it talks about Ole Miss recruits. It's so obvious that a lot of you try to rationalize and explain away their recruits.

The whole board was collectively jerking off those two days it was rumored we may flip Epps, culminating in one huge blown wad when he decommitted. Then we figured out what was up, and now he's slow and shitty and can't play. Same thing with Rawlings. When he was committed to us, he was a 3 star Army All-American. Now, he's a "fat and slow" 2 star who won't ever see the field.

Come on, guys. Get a little objectivity.

Coach34
02-01-2014, 09:38 PM

A) I'd like to thank you for having the stones to make a real username instead of trying to be pretend to be a State fan

B) I'm not saying Epps isnt a good football player- check my posts. But he is not a 4-star football player. Not to mention here we are a few days before signing day. He hasnt done anything in the last month to get another star

C) The juco TE we signed is extremely valuable because of his blocking. He is dominant edge blocker. I dont give a shit if he never catches a pass. He is going to push CJ or the kid from Aberdeen around come Egg Bowl time in Grenada Without the Lake.

TrueReb13
02-01-2014, 10:23 PM
He has been a 4 star on Scout and ESPN for quite some time now. I have been reading your board for a few months now and it surprised me that you made those comments. It seemed out of character for you being you usually give a kid his props no matter what school he is committed to and didn't follow the "star" system so much. I guess we will have to wait a few more months to see what kind of talent he really is. I agree with you and the other poster that we need a big blocking TE like the one you got but you can never have enough play makers on the field!! By the way, I have never understood the posters on sites trying to pass as fans of opposing schools

Todd4State
02-01-2014, 10:25 PM
This board is good until it talks about Ole Miss recruits. It's so obvious that a lot of you try to rationalize and explain away their recruits.

The whole board was collectively jerking off those two days it was rumored we may flip Epps, culminating in one huge blown wad when he decommitted. Then we figured out what was up, and now he's slow and shitty and can't play. Same thing with Rawlings. When he was committed to us, he was a 3 star Army All-American. Now, he's a "fat and slow" 2 star who won't ever see the field.

Come on, guys. Get a little objectivity.

Some people are saying that Sims is "fat and slow"- not Rawlings. And Sims did make the Army All-American Game. I haven't seen very many people say anything about Rawlings not being able to play on this board either. Personally, I still think Rawlings will be a good player if he gets into a good strength program and gets good coaching. Seeing as how Ole Miss had some o-linemen in the 370 range, it would make me wonder about their S&C for the o-line at the very least.

Todd4State
02-01-2014, 10:29 PM
He has been a 4 star on Scout and ESPN for quite some time now. I have been reading your board for a few months now and it surprised me that you made those comments. It seemed out of character for you being you usually give a kid his props no matter what school he is committed to and didn't follow the "star" system so much. I guess we will have to wait a few more months to see what kind of talent he really is. I agree with you and the other poster that we need a big blocking TE like the one you got but you can never have enough play makers on the field!! By the way, I have never understood the posters on sites trying to pass as fans of opposing schools

FWIW, I would trust Coach's evaluation over Scout and ESPN's recruiting. And as you can see, I think Epps is a good player.

Really Clark?
02-01-2014, 10:32 PM

Our TE commit missed about half the year with an injury as well. Kind of limited his playing time.

Really Clark?
02-01-2014, 10:40 PM

Our TE commit missed about half the year with an injury as well. Kind of limited his playing time.

Coach34
02-01-2014, 10:51 PM

again- I think Epps is a good football player and you guys got a good one. I just dont think he is a 4-star football player. Just like I dont think Taylor is a 5-star. Good player and a 4-star...not a 5-star.

I think overall Ole Miss won Mississippi this year. Congrats. That usually happens when you win the Egg Bowl the year before. On to 2015

nsvltndog
02-01-2014, 10:57 PM
So when someone gets bumped up to a 4 star like this based on his impressive work after the season is over, does someone having a bad offseason have to get bumped down to a 3 star to balance things out or do 4 star slots pop out of the clouds like rain drops for the teams who depend on recruiting ranking to sell memberships?

TUSK
02-01-2014, 11:05 PM
did he score a couple of TD's this past week I didnt hear about?

Recruiting and its rankings are just sooooo ****ed up

just think... if he'd committed to bama, he'd be a 7.9 star and would never get called for holding during his 3 years in school....

EAVdog
02-01-2014, 11:14 PM
The whole 're-ranking' thing is stupid. Almost as dumb as the initial rankings. A player, in this case Epps, could have gone from an 89 to a 90 and now half the state is fapping to their star ranking. We're talking a point or two difference. And most of this post season jockeying is just to reward kids who play the game to ensure more kids next year go to their camps, generate clicks, etc... It's a business.

There should be 3 classifications of players IMO.

1. Superstar Athletic freaks, no miss surefire NFL guys
2. D1 quality
3. Not D1 quality

hacker
02-01-2014, 11:16 PM
Some people are saying that Sims is "fat and slow"- not Rawlings. And Sims did make the Army All-American Game. I haven't seen very many people say anything about Rawlings not being able to play on this board either. Personally, I still think Rawlings will be a good player if he gets into a good strength program and gets good coaching. Seeing as how Ole Miss had some o-linemen in the 370 range, it would make me wonder about their S&C for the o-line at the very least.

I think I may have misread a post. But my point still stands. I've definitely seen people taking shots at Rawlings skills since he flipped.

Schultzy
02-02-2014, 06:36 AM
He's a project, we all knew that when he committed to us (as does his the program that will sign him). None of the remaining OL's on the board are highly rated.

Coaching staffs are just going for roster balance at this point and hoping the players pan out. I hope this is an objective/nice enough way to put it.

dawgoneyall
02-02-2014, 07:57 AM
My eyes hurt.