PDA

View Full Version : Sign and place: why?

sbcmortgageman
02-01-2014, 10:46 AM
Why do teams to sign and place? There's no guarantee to resign them correct? Someone just explain to me why teams do this. Honest question. Thanks.

War Machine Dawg
02-01-2014, 10:52 AM
Generally when a kid is a "sign and place" with a JUCO, there's a mutually understood agreement between the coaching staffs that the JUCO staff will urge the kid to re-sign with his original school. If the kid still wants to go to the originally signed school, the JUCO staff will deter recruitment from other programs. But if the kid decides he wants to look around, then the JUCO staff will help him do that. But most of the "sign and place" guys wind up being steered back to the original school they signed with.

ETA: Darius Slay was a recent "sign and place" for us, for example.

ShotgunDawg
02-01-2014, 10:53 AM
Why do teams to sign and place? There's no guarantee to resign them correct? Someone just explain to me why teams do this. Honest question. Thanks.

Two reasons:

1. You help a JC because they helped you. I'd love to send Co Lin the 4 star TE we are on because they helped us get Hutchison.

2. There is actually a gentlemens agreement in coaching to respect sign and places to a certain degree. Cox visited Bama last year, but the JC coach called him to come back and go to Starkville.

Signjngs and placing wins you allies with the JC coaches. It a good deal for the kid because he goes to a school that needs him, helps JCs because they get a good player that they didn't have the recruiting budget to recruit, and helps the 4 years school because they'll likely get the player they placed.

Coach34
02-01-2014, 10:53 AM
Because of guys like Darius Slay

War Machine Dawg
02-01-2014, 10:54 AM
Two reasons:

1. You help a JC because they helped you. I'd love to send Co Lin the 4 star TE we are on because they helped us get Hutchison.

2. There is actually a gentlemens agreement in coaching to respect sign and places to a certain degree. Cox visited Bama last year, but the JC coach called him to come back and go to Starkville.

Signjngs and placing wins you allies with the JC coaches. It a good deal for the kid because he goes to a school that needs him, helps JCs because they get a good player that they didn't have the recruiting budget to recruit, and helps the 4 years school because they'll likely get the player they placed.

^This. Shotgun explained it better than I did.

Goat Holder
02-01-2014, 02:33 PM
This isn't rocket science.

It's a two-fold benefit for MSU. If we signed and placed a guy in Texas/Kansas/California, I might see your point. But getting them to the state of Mississippi is a major advantage for us. Plus what everybody else has said.

HancockCountyDog
02-01-2014, 02:53 PM

+1000000

sbcmortgageman
02-02-2014, 10:28 PM
Didn't JUCOs used to have to stay within certain districts? For example a hinds county kid had to go to a certain juco no matter what?

Coach34
02-02-2014, 10:34 PM
Didn't JUCOs used to have to stay within certain districts? For example a hinds county kid had to go to a certain juco no matter what?

yep. They changed it for some reason

Belegal
02-02-2014, 10:37 PM
Does it count against the 25 limit even though they don't enroll? Will it effect counting back next year? How exactly does this work?

Belegal
02-02-2014, 10:38 PM
And what is the 3 semester rule?

mic
02-02-2014, 10:40 PM

And Justin Cox..