PDA

View Full Version : Axing the Idea that MSU Basketball is Bleeding Money...

engie
02-01-2014, 12:29 AM
Found these numbers interesting.

The 2012/2013 MSU basketball team -- which is the worst in a long time -- brought in $6.75mil.
http://my.jetscreenshot.com/demo/m_20140201-dsw3-13kb.jpg

The 2009/2010 MSU basketball team -- which started the season with pretty high expectations -- brought in $6.2mil.
http://my.jetscreenshot.com/demo/m_20140201-w9ae-4kb.jpg

This is from publicly available Equity in Athletics Data...

Belegal
02-01-2014, 12:33 AM
What is the point?

Coach34
02-01-2014, 12:34 AM
That the basketball program is still making good money

Belegal
02-01-2014, 12:38 AM
Ok- so that is bad? What's the point?

Dawg61
02-01-2014, 12:44 AM
Not sure how. The Hump wasn't even half full vs the #3 team in the country.

FlabLoser
02-01-2014, 12:47 AM
Not sure how. The Hump wasn't even half full vs the #3 team in the country.

Aren't season tickets sold out? It could be empty and we'd only be down concession stand money.

engie
02-01-2014, 12:47 AM

The point is clearly stated in the title.

A fairly large contingent of our fanbase talk about the atmosphere in the Hump being dead(obviously it is) -- and then try to translate that into the basketball team bringing in less money -- and even go so far in cases as to say that it isn't a "revenue-generating" sport for MSU right now. In some cases, it's to push an anti-Ray agenda -- and in some cases, it's a legitimate concern. I felt it was a legitimate concern after the Florida game -- so I checked the numbers -- and was totally shocked to see that there's been no notable drop-off on our bottom line whatsoever.

messageboardsuperhero
02-01-2014, 12:48 AM
The point is, we are having no problem selling tickets- people just need to show up.

engie
02-01-2014, 12:49 AM
Aren't season tickets sold out? It could be empty and we'd only be down concession stand money.

Which I don't believe we see any actual $$ from anyway. Seems like we receive a lump sum yearly for the concession rights -- and a 3rd party company actually handles it(and thus absorbs the profit/expenses)?

dawgs
02-01-2014, 05:04 AM
TV money is worth more than tickets sold

dickiedawg
02-01-2014, 07:06 AM
I don't believe we sold all the season tickets.

Dawg61
02-01-2014, 08:17 AM
There's just no way we are that profitable unless they are adding in ESPN money or something and if we are truly making that money off of non-season tickets and concessions then it is even more ridiculous that the Hump has been such a ghost town. They could be making 10mill+ if the place was .80% full.

codeDawg
02-01-2014, 08:45 AM
TV money is worth more than tickets sold

Exactly. I bet ticket sales are less than a million when maxed out.

engie
02-01-2014, 09:15 AM
There's just no way we are that profitable unless they are adding in ESPN money or something and if we are truly making that money off of non-season tickets and concessions then it is even more ridiculous that the Hump has been such a ghost town. They could be making 10mill+ if the place was .80% full.

Sure -- let's just make up things in our heads and pretend it's factual. That was the point of this thread**

I'm still waiting on you to tell me the difference between the basketball TV money in 2010 and 2013 -- as well as providing me a nice link and/or breakdown to this alleged possibility of making $10mil plus in the currently-configured Hump? The place has been full before -- so surely you can show records of where this income was accomplished.

engie
02-01-2014, 09:28 AM
Exactly. I bet ticket sales are less than a million when maxed out.

Why don't you look up easily-searchable numbers instead of throwing blind speculation out there?

We'd have to sell less than 4000 season tickets -- and they would all have to be to the cheap seats without PSL fees -- for ticket revenue to be less than $1 million.

Goat Holder
02-01-2014, 09:44 AM
The point is, we are having no problem selling tickets- people just need to show up.

BINGO. Same for baseball.

But I will say this....I think we should do more to accommodate students in both sports, they are the lifeblood if the school and they create 'atmosphere'. Win win for everybody.

tcdog70
02-01-2014, 10:11 AM
I never thought MSU wasn't making a shitpot load of money. But when you sell out your seats to Companies and they never come to games, You have effectively ruined your atmosphere and your grass roots fan base. My question has been, Is it not better to have the Hump a rocking , fun place that opponents dred playin in. With all this money we are making with TV and the SEC affiliation , why do we need to ruin the HUMP.Is a couple of Million worth makin our Basketball atmosphere suck. I think MSU report 8000 fans at the Fla. game, we all are not blind.

engie
02-01-2014, 10:25 AM
I never thought MSU wasn't making a shitpot load of money. But when you sell out your seats to Companies and they never come to games, You have effectively ruined your atmosphere and your grass roots fan base. My question has been, Is it not better to have the Hump a rocking , fun place that opponents dred playin in. With all this money we are making with TV and the SEC affiliation , why do we need to ruin the HUMP.Is a couple of Million worth makin our Basketball atmosphere suck. I think MSU report 8000 fans at the Fla. game, we all are not blind.

Of course it's better to have a tremendous atmosphere for all the games. That's not my argument at all -- and is a whole different discussion actually. The atmosphere has been lacking for the first couple of years under Ray. It was for the first couple of years under Cohen too. That's why MSU can't continue to put coaches before programs -- because you end up in a no-win situation after letting them stay stay several years too long, still dividing the fanbase when they are finally gone, and effectively killing an atmosphere for half a decade...at least... and essentially causing the next coach to start over from scratch in many ways.

For all his faults, Croom was the only coach that we let go at the right time...

Dawg61
02-01-2014, 06:31 PM
Sure -- let's just make up things in our heads and pretend it's factual. That was the point of this thread**

I'm still waiting on you to tell me the difference between the basketball TV money in 2010 and 2013 -- as well as providing me a nice link and/or breakdown to this alleged possibility of making $10mil plus in the currently-configured Hump? The place has been full before -- so surely you can show records of where this income was accomplished.

Sorry I misread your previous post about the concessions money vs season tickets money. I'm glad the basketball team is profitable. I never for a second thought it wasn't. However I was thoroughly embarrassed to be a Mississippi State fan and Alumni this last Thursday when they showed that disgusting fan turnout vs the #3 team in the nation on national tv for everyone to see. That shit is unacceptable. Plain and simple. It looked like the turnout of the SEC Tournament that got moved by the tornado. Can we buy cardboard cutouts with the $6 million and put them in the 8,000 empty seats? I'm only half joking.

whosyourdawgy
02-01-2014, 06:34 PM
Gotta be TV money. No way we made more last season with ticket sales and concessions. No way

engie
02-01-2014, 06:57 PM
Gotta be TV money. No way we made more last season with ticket sales and concessions. No way

The tv contract is unmodified since 2008. In fact, we bring in less basketball-related tv money now --- due to the sec basketball incompetence in how the NCAA basketball tourney money is divided(by total game appearances in the tourney in a 5 yr window)...

mcdawg
02-01-2014, 07:03 PM

The 2012/2013 MSU basketball team -- which is the worst in a long time -- brought in $6.75mil.

The 2009/2010 MSU basketball team -- which started the season with pretty high expectations -- brought in $6.2mil.

Cannot compare unless you have the $ broken down - tickets, TV, etc. All I know is that I talk to many fans that use to keep up with State basketball that no longer even know when we play. I am one of the guys that bought 4 lower level tickets (plus Bulldog Club fees) for the past 2 years to show support, but I have only attended 2 games (we won and I was still bored - no atmosphere or elite players to watch). Should I give up my tickets/fees and stop that revenue, as I don't plan to attend many games? I can do that or State can come up with an electronic system for me to give/sell my tickets to local State fans. (I use to have people ask for my tickets, but I don't get any requests at all. Plus, I don't have time to deal with being a ticket agent.)

engie
02-01-2014, 07:23 PM
Cannot compare unless you have the $ broken down - tickets, TV, etc. All I know is that I talk to many fans that use to keep up with State basketball that no longer even know when we play. I am one of the guys that bought 4 lower level tickets (plus Bulldog Club fees) for the past 2 years to show support, but I have only attended 2 games (we won and I was still bored - no atmosphere or elite players to watch). Should I give up my tickets/fees and stop that revenue, as I don't plan to attend many games? I can do that or State can come up with an electronic system for me to give/sell my tickets to local State fans. (I use to have people ask for my tickets, but I don't get any requests at all. Plus, I don't have time to deal with being a ticket agent.)

Gotta be related to tv revenue that no one can show is ANY different than it was(because it isn't -- at least not related to basketball)...

Dawg61
02-01-2014, 08:58 PM
Is there a smart phone app or simple text message system where you "check in" upto 2 hours before the game and if you don't then your seat is resold to walk-ups? If not there needs to be. Then your lower levels will be filled with fans and the atmosphere is tremendously improved. If there's not I'll invent one.

Bass Chaser
02-01-2014, 09:41 PM
Revenue in no way means the basketball team is making money. Revenue is how much the basketball team is bringing in. What are the expenses incurred? That's the only way to know if the basketball team is making money. From my understanding KY basketball doesn't even make a profit, of course that has a lot do with the fact they don't own Rupp Arena.

thedawginme
02-01-2014, 09:58 PM

You realize that says "Revenues by Team" and not "Profit", right? Of course we can't see the rest of the data to see if this is really intended to be a sort of profit number.

engie
02-01-2014, 10:18 PM
You realize that says "Revenues by Team" and not "Profit", right? Of course we can't see the rest of the data to see if this is really intended to be a sort of profit number.

If any of you cared to do anything other than bitch and disagree, you could EASILY look at the data I gave you and figure it out for yourself.

Yes we're still profitable by a frigging mile. I almost regret making this topic given all the blindly negative crap that keeps getting thrown against the wall.

Want to bitch, bring numbers. Otherwise, I'm about to quit being respectful and start burying these responses. Not meant as a singular call out -- just a broad call out!

Jack Lambert
02-01-2014, 11:20 PM

Maybe this year but it's only going to get less sold every year until things turn around. If the team isn't any better after next season something is going to have to be done. It should not take more then three years to build a basketball team.

Bass Chaser
02-02-2014, 12:19 AM
If any of you cared to do anything other than bitch and disagree, you could EASILY look at the data I gave you and figure it out for yourself.

Yes we're still profitable by a frigging mile. I almost regret making this topic given all the blindly negative crap that keeps getting thrown against the wall.

Want to bitch, bring numbers. Otherwise, I'm about to quit being respectful and start burying these responses. Not meant as a singular call out -- just a broad call out!

I really don't understand this response. I'm not bitching or disagreeing with you that MSU men's baskentball is bringing in money. However, just because you're bringing in revenue doesn't mean you're operating in the black. According to the website:Total Expenses Men's Team and Men Coed Team $4,312,955. So yes MSU basketball is showing almost $2.5M profit for this same time period clearly not bleeding money in my opinion.