PDA

View Full Version : Which true freshman will see the field next year?

chef dixon
01-31-2014, 04:27 PM
It seems like we are deep at most positions going into next season. That's a testament to the job Mullen as done and hope he continues. I don't see many of these guys finding there way onto the field immediately (excluding the juco players), especially with the injuries to Green and Jackson.

I'm guessing Graham is pretty likely to play a decent amount next year. Maybe a player or two that we can land in the next couple of days. Anyone with better insight on the new class, the floor is yours.

Goat Holder
01-31-2014, 04:32 PM
Easy answer, Aeris Williams.

Highly doubt you'll see any new WR do much. Lewis, Johnson, Chappelle, Morrow, Wilson and Ross will be the guys there. And after them we still have a few more before we get to the freshmen.

I think you see most of this class redshirt outside Wilson and JUCOs.

smootness
01-31-2014, 04:33 PM
Yeah, the injuries make it tricky. I would think we'd get Green on the field, but we may try to let him redshirt and have a full year to get healthy and ready.

I'm guessing that any of the DL we get late will probably see some time, especially at DE. Aeris Williams should see time and play at least as big of a role as Shumpert did this year. Outside of that, we'll see. I could see one of the QBs getting mop-up duty somewhere, assuming one of them doesn't win the backup job. Graham probably will play some, as you said, though with Lewis there it won't leave a lot of time for him.

Brandon Bryant could play, but like you said, we have pretty good depth everywhere, so it will be difficult for guys to see enough time to make it worth it. Outside of Williams and possibly Graham, I don't see anyone as an instant impact guy, unless we can pull Trey Carter.

FlabLoser
01-31-2014, 04:34 PM
Either Fitzgerald or Staley is gonna get some PT for sure. I don't know what the QB depth chart is gonna be, but I think Mullen wants 3 active QBs with some experience.

Coach34
01-31-2014, 04:41 PM
Aeris Williams and the winner of the QB battle- loser puts on the redshirt

thf24
01-31-2014, 04:44 PM
Highly doubt you'll see any new WR do much. Lewis, Johnson, Chappelle, Morrow, Wilson and Ross will be the guys there. And after them we still have a few more before we get to the freshmen.

I think Graham is likely to play since Holloway is currently our only real slot receiver behind Tubby and he hasn't proven he can catch with any consistency yet.

Coach34
01-31-2014, 04:50 PM
I think Graham is likely to play since Holloway is currently our only real slot receiver behind Tubby and he hasn't proven he can catch with any consistency yet.

I dont think so. I think you will see Ross in that spot before we burn a RS. Ross needs more slot time anyway because we have RoJo and Wilson on the outside- with Morrow and Chappelle backing them up

smootness
01-31-2014, 04:54 PM
Ross just isn't a slot guy. He is definitely an outside guy and will probably pass either Morrow or Chappelle on the depth chart, at least that's my guess.

Myles is moving to slot, so he may stay ahead of Graham, but I think Graham may be good enough to warrant some time there.

thedawg
01-31-2014, 04:55 PM
Fitz because he has a 8 month and 22 practice head start on Staley..... And Trey Carter off the edge

thedawg
01-31-2014, 04:59 PM
I think Graham redshirts and Myles Graham and Donald Gray get after it for the slot postion in two Springs

Coach34
01-31-2014, 05:00 PM
Ross just isn't a slot guy. He is definitely an outside guy and will probably pass either Morrow or Chappelle on the depth chart, at least that's my guess.

Myles is moving to slot, so he may stay ahead of Graham, but I think Graham may be good enough to warrant some time there.

I disagree- Ross is not a slot guy for the runs they are involved in- but he is just fine for passing plays. Especially if you need to get him on the field

Coach34
01-31-2014, 05:03 PM
Fitz because he has a 8 month and 22 practice head start on Staley.

yeah- BUT as my buddy said that watched practice a couple of times before the bowl game- "Fitz may be a better runner than Prescott RIGHT NOW- but he needs 2 years worth of work throwing the football before we think about playing him. Strong arm but needs a ton of mechanics work"

smootness
01-31-2014, 05:04 PM
I disagree- Ross is not a slot guy for the runs they are involved in- but he is just fine for passing plays. Especially if you need to get him on the field

Fair enough, I just think he is much more of a possession guy who can stretch the field as opposed to someone you're trying to get it to in space. And again, I think he'll be better than Morrow next year and maybe Chappelle. I think he'll see the field plenty.

thedawg
01-31-2014, 05:13 PM
yeah- BUT as my buddy said that watched practice a couple of times before the bowl game- "Fitz may be a better runner than Prescott RIGHT NOW- but he needs 2 years worth of work throwing the football before we think about playing him. Strong arm but needs a ton of mechanics work"

Yeah but I think the role for the Freshmen next year is gonna be to come in and run the ball like Dak did his Freshmen Year... The reason we would do this is to keep Dak from getting beat up and to put a year in between the two Freshmen... So Dak is the guy, Damien is the true backup, Fitz is the wildcat or whatever u wanna call him... Thats my theory

Coach34
01-31-2014, 05:16 PM
Fair enough, I just think he is much more of a possession guy who can stretch the field as opposed to someone you're trying to get it to in space. And again, I think he'll be better than Morrow next year and maybe Chappelle. I think he'll see the field plenty.

But here's the way to look at it:

Are you better off using Ross in the slot- with Morrow and Chappelle on the outside- and RS'ing Graham....OR- do you let Ross overtake Morrow or Chappelle, pushing them to 3rd team and playing Graham a little as a true Freshman.

I'd RS Graham with all the options we have at WR in 2014- especially when we are looking at running more 2 and 3 TE sets

Coach34
01-31-2014, 05:19 PM
Yeah but I think the role for the Freshmen next year is gonna be to come in and run the ball like Dak did his Freshmen Year... The reason we would do this is to keep Dak from getting beat up and to put a year in between the two Freshmen... So Dak is the guy, Damien is the true backup, Fitz is the wildcat or whatever u wanna call him... Thats my theory

and you could be right. I just have a feeling Staley becomes a big factor

thedawg
01-31-2014, 05:20 PM
Your also adding Gabe Myles Shelby Christy and BJ Hammond to the receiver core.... Chapelle wasn't healthy all last year and I think he will be better... I also have high hopes for Fred Brown who I think can play... I just don't see a true freshmen wr playing

HereComesTheSpiral
01-31-2014, 05:50 PM
Arguing about who will get time at receiver, have we ever had this problem?

chef dixon
01-31-2014, 06:00 PM
Arguing about who will get time at receiver, have we ever had this problem?

True. But I'd really like to see a couple guys emerge and become the go-to players. I think the watered down receiving corp really hurts players as far as confidence goes. Not sure if any of our receivers were confident enough to step up and know they were the guy that needs to make a big time play. I'm hoping that was youth and inexperience and this year will be a different story.

Todd4State
01-31-2014, 06:28 PM

I agree. He's a Reggie Wayne type of slot WR as opposed to a Percy Harvin type of slot WR.

RougeDawg
01-31-2014, 07:02 PM
Marlon Humphrey.**