PDA

View Full Version : Rebel mouthpiece Talty just crystalballed...

Coach34
01-31-2014, 01:55 PM
Trey Carter flipping to State :cool:

http://247sports.com/PlayerInstitution/Trey-Carter-at-Pinkston-53989/Predictions

NCDawg
01-31-2014, 02:06 PM
That probably means he is definitely not coming with us.

smootness
01-31-2014, 02:06 PM
I like our chances. And I'm starting to come around on Talty a little. He's somebody that I think just loves to stir the pot and loves to follow the big names. Last year, it just so happened Ole Miss got a lot of big names and there was a prime chance to stir the pot with the Chris Jones stuff.

He isn't a great reporter, but he seems to be mostly fair.

EAVdog
01-31-2014, 02:09 PM
I like our chances. And I'm starting to come around on Talty a little. He's somebody that I think just loves to stir the pot and loves to follow the big names. Last year, it just so happened Ole Miss got a lot of big names and there was a prime chance to stir the pot with the Chris Jones stuff.

He runs with what he knows, or is fed. If someone gives you free info and you need to write an article/blog post every day you are gonna go with what you have. Now that he knows the scene better and his job he's gotten better and produced content with more depth.

FlabLoser
01-31-2014, 02:14 PM
He runs with what he knows, or is fed. If someone gives you free info and you need to write an article/blog post every day you are gonna go with what you have. Now that he knows the scene better and his job he's gotten better and produced content with more depth.

Agree. He's gotten better.

I must be fair here. Talty is young and starting out, he was really green. Being an Ole Miss fan and dating an Ole Miss girl, he was slanted to what he was closest to. Like anybody else after year 1 on the job, he's gotten better and has a much better lay of the land.

M.Fillmore
01-31-2014, 02:14 PM

Highly doubtful. You would never see Rick Cleveland in the Grove decked out from head-to-toe in Ole Miss gear.
It is more likely that Talty's bias is so obvious that he has pulled it back a little to protect one of the few jobs the CL has remaining.

SDDawg
01-31-2014, 02:18 PM
I don't like the Crystal Ball, but not for the reason that OM homers don't like it since it shows how superior Bama is to them in crootin'. :)

The reason I don't like it is that when commits have the potential to flip, it's a great opp for a guy like Talty to build up CB points by predicting that flip. It's a form of speculation that takes an already overhyped process and just adds on another level from the writers and analysts. Not a fan of more hype and misinformation around recruiting.

quickstrike2
01-31-2014, 02:19 PM
Looks like two other 247 guys predicted him to State today as well. Must be some good development there.

EAVdog
01-31-2014, 02:20 PM
Highly doubtful. You would never see Rick Cleveland in the Grove decked out from head-to-toe in Ole Miss gear.
It is more likely that Talty's bias is so obvious that he has pulled it back a little to protect one of the few jobs the CL has remaining.

I have to give credit where credit is due. Talty has done a good job this year with the in-state kids. He's highlighted players committing to Alcorn, JSU, USM, et al. I think that is what the hometown newspaper should do. These kids, particularly the less well known, deserve a little time in the spotlight.

mic
01-31-2014, 02:23 PM
Agree. He's gotten better.

I must be fair here. Talty is young and starting out, he was really green. Being an Ole Miss fan and dating an Ole Miss girl, he was slanted to what he was closest to. Like anybody else after year 1 on the job, he's gotten better and has a much better lay of the land.

Whoa.. This cat actually has a girlfriend.. wow.. that's news in itself..

Really Clark?
01-31-2014, 02:25 PM
J. C. Shurburt also flipped it to us today

state66
01-31-2014, 02:26 PM
I dont get that crystal ball thing. Dude is a osu commit and they have tcu in front of them then state? Everything ive read is its a state osu battle so how accurate is that.

Rick Danko
01-31-2014, 02:28 PM
Hilarious, he crystal ball's one player to State and suddenly "he's an ok reporter, mostly fair, just was green last year, has more depth, etc." ha ha. Not pointed at anyone in particular but just noting how quickly opinions can change based on a prediction, article, comment, written or spoken by someone like him. Within the last few weeks he has been an OM Mouthpiece, OM Recruiting Coordinator, etc. Just funny to me.

quickstrike2
01-31-2014, 02:29 PM
I dont get that crystal ball thing. Dude is a osu commit and they have tcu in front of them then state? Everything ive read is its a state osu battle so how accurate is that.

More than likely some guys predicted TCU early early in the recruiting process and just hadn't changed their pick.

NCDawg
01-31-2014, 02:36 PM
Hilarious, he crystal ball's one player to State and suddenly "he's an ok reporter, mostly fair, just was green last year, has more depth, etc." ha ha. Not pointed at anyone in particular but just noting how quickly opinions can change based on a prediction, article, comment, written or spoken by someone like him. Within the last few weeks he has been an OM Mouthpiece, OM Recruiting Coordinator, etc. Just funny to me.

Agreed. He mentions we may flip an OSU recruit and everybody loves him.

smootness
01-31-2014, 02:38 PM

It has little to do with Carter, I was just responding to the 'Rebel mouthpiece' claim and based on his recent work, I think he's done a fair job. He wrote the hit piece on us from Liggins' coach, but he's also done pieces with quotes from the coach of at least one of the guys Ole Miss dropped as well. He is at least trying not to be slanted, and that's fine with me.

Johnson85
01-31-2014, 02:55 PM

He actually has gotten better though as far as I can tell. I can't speak to the fairness issue, but last year it seemed like all he did was regurgitate stuff from UM's camp. Maybe he just hadn't had time to develop any independent contacts or knowledge last year, so that was the best he could do. Or maybe he was really just unprofessional last year and between a year of experience and/or people giving him some guidance, he realized he was letting his desire to hang out in Oxford with his girlfriend prevent him from developing non-um related stories. But like somebody else said, he's done several things on lesser known recruits either from Mississippi or going to one of the non-sec schools in Mississippi. That's the biggest (and presumably most profitable) hole I can see the Clarion Ledger filling in the recruiting area. He's serving a real function this year where as last year it looked like the Clarion ledger had no idea what it wanted to do other than copy stuff put out by Rivals.

dawg27
01-31-2014, 05:29 PM
would love to see that happened hope they get him that would help alot

Barkman Turner Overdrive
01-31-2014, 06:59 PM

I am sure there are plenty of beards and "*** hags" to be found in ole Oxford Town.

notsofarawaydawg
01-31-2014, 07:20 PM

Well ITS got long hair is all we really know.

Schultzy
01-31-2014, 07:26 PM
I welcome all newcomers and media types in our inauguration to 2014 national relevancy. Even Talty sees it coming and I applaud him for his ability to foresee this.