PDA

View Full Version : Just talked to someone close to the OJ Smith situation

Coach34
01-31-2014, 11:54 AM
OJ and his family met with Saban Tuesday. OJ is one point short on his ACT and that is likely going to cost him his place with Bama. Saban told him they were going to sign 25 qualified players- and obviously, that doesnt include Smith at this time. Saban gave him some other options, and it sounds like the Smith family is leaning to not accept those and go in another direction.

He said State is hard in the mix now along with a couple of other schools (did not say who) but that being an SEC football player is important to him. Also said he is underrated and should be a high 4-star guy. Said he hasnt hit that body maturity yet that big kids finally hit as they approach 20 years old- but when he does- he is going to be hell. Great run stopper but should be an every down player once he matures more physically. Said he was a good kid from a solid family where he gets lots of support. He is taking all the ACT workshops he can and working hard to get qualified. Said he felt very confident he'd make it.

EAVdog
01-31-2014, 11:58 AM
OJ and his family met with Saban Tuesday. OJ is one point short on his ACT and that is likely going to cost him his place with Bama. Saban told him they were going to sign 25 qualified players- and obviously, that doesnt include Smith at this time. Saban gave him some other options, and it sounds like the Smith family is leaning to not accept those and go in another direction.

He said State is hard in the mix now along with a couple of other schools (did not say who) but that being an SEC football player is important to him. Also said he is underrated and should be a high 4-star guy. Said he hasnt hit that body maturity yet that big kids finally hit as they approach 20 years old- but when he does- he is going to be hell. Great run stopper but should be an every down player once he matures more physically. Said he was a good kid from a solid family where he gets lots of support. He is taking all the ACT workshops he can and working hard to get qualified. Said he felt very confident he'd make it.

Let's show this man some love. Would be nice to get some a little payback from Saban for screwing us up with Darius Philon, Keith Holcombe, and others. You can't say we haven't identified talent early.

SDDawg
01-31-2014, 12:05 PM
Great update Coach, would be nice to get a "flip" from Bama at this point in the process so let's make it happen!

engie
01-31-2014, 12:11 PM
Would be a great pull.

Would LOVE to see he/Nick James mature into true NG prospects -- with enough versatility to still play some DT in a 4-3. That would open up our defense a whole lot more than it already is -- and let Jones basically roam and just create havoc. Even when we let Fletcher do that very successfully -- we never had a true NG prospect lined up beside him to open it up for him...

Really Clark?
01-31-2014, 12:40 PM
It's being reported that he and his family are on their way to Starkville now for the OV.

FlabLoser
01-31-2014, 01:20 PM
Sounds like he would be a good get. Come on down!

deltadawg99
01-31-2014, 01:52 PM
It is going to be an interesting finish to this years class.

Several good prospects still on the board with a limited number of spots open.

Anybody want to take a guess at how we finish?

Goat Holder
01-31-2014, 01:53 PM
Could he play OL??? What about Grant Harris?

smootness
01-31-2014, 01:55 PM
It is going to be an interesting finish to this years class.

Several good prospects still on the board with a limited number of spots open.

Anybody want to take a guess at how we finish?

My prediction is:

Tee Shepard
JT Gray
Cory Thomas
Trey Carter
Elgton Jenkins

Yes, it is optimistic, but that's what I'm going with.

Coach34
01-31-2014, 01:58 PM
Could he play OL??? What about Grant Harris?

Smith is a bigtime DL guy- he aint switching to OL. He is headed to the NFL in 4 years to Nose in the NFL

Coach34
01-31-2014, 01:59 PM
My prediction is:

Tee Shepard
JT Gray
Cory Thomas
Trey Carter
Elgton Jenkins

I think Smith ends up 1 of the 5

EAVdog
01-31-2014, 02:07 PM
Sheppard
Gray
Harris
Carter
Smith

(nobody knows what Thomas is thinking)

smootness
01-31-2014, 02:09 PM
I think Smith ends up 1 of the 5

Yeah, very well could...we might try to greyshirt Jenkins in that event.

msstate7
01-31-2014, 02:12 PM
Sheppard
Gray
Harris
Carter
Smith

(nobody knows what Thomas is thinking)

My prediction is:

Tee Shepard
JT Gray
Cory Thomas
Trey Carter
Elgton Jenkins

I'd be happy with either list

smootness
01-31-2014, 02:16 PM
We have Thomas, Carter, Smith, Harris, and Griffin as legitimate possibilities on the DL coming down the line.

In terms of preference, I would rank them:

1. Carter
2. Thomas
3. Smith
4. Griffin
5. Harris

but in terms of likelihood of landing, I'd rank them:

1. Harris
2. Carter
3. Thomas
4. Smith
5. Griffin

The bottom line is, I think if we can get any combination of 2 from the top 4, then our class will be very good. Any more than that, and the staff will have done a phenomenal job of closing.

maroonmania
01-31-2014, 04:19 PM
I'm just telling you guys I've got this feeling, and maybe its just gas, but there is something very weird about the recruitment of Thomas like he is not truly in control of it. Just don't see him signing with us.

EAVdog
01-31-2014, 04:21 PM
Rebel Board saying that we may be more of a player for Sims than expected. He and his family really did enjoy our visit and he didn't commit to them after their recruit-a-palooza.

Could be something there, certainly not going to scare any recruits away speculating about it!

quickstrike2
01-31-2014, 04:21 PM
I'm just telling you guys I've got this feeling, and maybe its just gas, but there is something very weird about the recruitment of Thomas like he is not truly in control of it. Just don't see him signing with us.

I feel the same way. I think he would have atleast decommited by now if we had a real shot. I hope we get him though.

maroonmania
01-31-2014, 04:30 PM
Rebel Board saying that we may be more of a player for Sims than expected. He and his family really did enjoy our visit and he didn't commit to them after their recruit-a-palooza.

Could be something there, certainly not going to scare any recruits away speculating about it!

If we can get Sims that would be a HUGE pickup in an area of need and would make me forget all about Bunchy Stallings. Sims is certainly the better prospect of the 2. I had kind of figured we were out of it for him given his name has not been thrown around for us since his visit.

smootness
01-31-2014, 04:35 PM

You may be right. If we get Trey Carter and a good DT, then I'm ok if we don't land him.

SDDawg
01-31-2014, 04:43 PM
Sims would be a huge pickup, I'll keep my fingers crossed there. The frustrating part about recruiting this year is if we run the table we could pick up 7 quality players but we only have spots for 4 or 5 (reportedly). We have great momentum, too bad we don't have more spots. Maybe we'll find a way to free up a couple of spots along the way, we'll see.

Coach34
01-31-2014, 04:47 PM
if we are getting quality players that are qualified- our non-qualifiers will be the first to go

msstate7
01-31-2014, 05:05 PM

If we land sims, think OM would still be waving their trophy (Rawlings) at us? I think not.

AROB44
02-01-2014, 08:47 AM
Sims = rabbit ?????????????

ShotgunDawg
02-01-2014, 08:57 AM
Corey Thomas' recruitment is one of strangest I've seen. Chris Jones' would be the wildest, but this one is odd.

How this guy hasn't committed to us is beyond me and also leads me to believe that he isn't in control of his recruitment. Braxton Hoyett is a good friend of Thomas, and he seems to know nothing. Thomas flirts with us, takes visits to us, and is friends with Dez Harris, yet the recruiting gurus can't even get an interview from him.

Just very odd. Its almost mob like. Reminds me of the movie 8 men out. Something just doesn't seem right.

Schultzy
02-01-2014, 09:20 AM

Ha! But they said when on his visit here he was constantly calling the ole miss coaches and generally having a bad visit.

Another UM spin machine narrative proven wrong. But in their defense, keeping up with your lies can be difficult.

HancockCountyDog
02-01-2014, 10:28 AM

Would be a huge get!!

Goat Holder
02-01-2014, 10:42 AM
Corey Thomas' recruitment is one of strangest I've seen. Chris Jones' would be the wildest, but this one is odd.

How this guy hasn't committed to us is beyond me and also leads me to believe that he isn't in control of his recruitment. Braxton Hoyett is a good friend of Thomas, and he seems to know nothing. Thomas flirts with us, takes visits to us, and is friends with Dez Harris, yet the recruiting gurus can't even get an interview from him.

Just very odd. Its almost mob like. Reminds me of the movie 8 men out. Something just doesn't seem right.

Not really. It's just that the signs point to Tennessee. Sheep herders don't want to admit that.

MidTNDawg
02-01-2014, 10:42 AM
FWIW, I believe Butch Jones at UT is a stronger force to be reckoned with than many of our fans recognize. I hope we get Thomas, but I will not be surprised if he sticks with UT.

engie
02-01-2014, 10:47 AM
Not really. It's just that the signs point to Tennessee. Sheep herders don't want to admit that.

Go read a few pages of Volnation's recruiting thread on Cory and then come back and tell me "all signs point to Tennessee"...

preachermatt83
02-01-2014, 02:07 PM
Go read a few pages of Volnation's recruiting thread on Cory and then come back and tell me "all signs point to Tennessee"...

someone needs to be sure he sees some of the stuff they are posting there. They are saying that he is probably going to be asked to look elsewhere!! how crazy!!

hailmari
02-01-2014, 02:13 PM
someone needs to be sure he sees some of the stuff they are posting there. They are saying that he is probably going to be asked to look elsewhere!! how crazy!!

Commence operation screen-shot and tweet!