PDA

View Full Version : The Chris Jones saga

Todd4State
01-30-2014, 10:30 PM
I've seen a lot of people comment on how they are glad that's not happening again.

That's interesting to me since it worked out in our favor in the end.

I think it shows the differences in the fan bases since it seems to me like most Ole Miss fans would have eaten that up.

smootness
01-30-2014, 10:38 PM
I've seen a lot of people comment on how they are glad that's not happening again.

That's interesting to me since it worked out in our favor in the end.

I think it shows the differences in the fan bases since it seems to me like most Ole Miss fans would have eaten that up.

Had he been an OM commit, we would have loved it. Had he been uncommitted, it still would have been exciting. The fact that we thought we finally had a player that good, then almost lost him...to them...gave the entire fan base a heart attack. Ending up w/ him was just a relief at that point.

RC3
01-30-2014, 10:39 PM
Definetly different with our fanbase. They love the drama and the headlines. We love commitment, hardwork and winning football games with what we get. Also, chris jones is probably the exception to the rule. Usually when another school puts on the full court press, we seem to come out on the wrong end more often than not. While it was nice to win that battle, I think we all would've been happier had it never happened

TopDog58
01-30-2014, 11:35 PM
I think it all boiled over because it played out similarly to the sCam ordeal. Jones was a summer camp commit who was an absolute unknown that wasn't even rated. He was committed to us throughout the fall and all of a sudden when he got those 4th and 5th stars UM was all over him.

Just like sCam in the fact that Auburn wasn't even on his final list until he went on the last minute visit and the rest is history.

hells bells
01-31-2014, 12:12 AM
I think it all boiled over because it played out similarly to the sCam ordeal. Jones was a summer camp commit who was an absolute unknown that wasn't even rated. He was committed to us throughout the fall and all of a sudden when he got those 4th and 5th stars UM was all over him.

Just like sCam in the fact that Auburn wasn't even on his final list until he went on the last minute visit and the rest is history.

Good friend I consider on the inside of MSU athletics told me during the entire CJ recruitment was CJ was State all the way. Turned out he was correct. I do think we are prone to become negative at this time of the year due to past situations. I do not want a young man that wavers. State all the way or hit the damn road. Was looking at the kid from New York on another thread. If he puts out 100% awesome. Rather have that for our coaches to mold. This is my Qway raw ass rant.

Todd4State
01-31-2014, 12:58 AM
Definetly different with our fanbase. They love the drama and the headlines. We love commitment, hardwork and winning football games with what we get. Also, chris jones is probably the exception to the rule. Usually when another school puts on the full court press, we seem to come out on the wrong end more often than not. While it was nice to win that battle, I think we all would've been happier had it never happened

That kind of leads me to believe that if we did hat ceremonies and actually flipped recruits, our fans would probably be like- eh, that's nice. Glad you're a Bulldog.

Rayburn8
01-31-2014, 12:59 AM
Good friend I consider on the inside of MSU athletics told me during the entire CJ recruitment was CJ was State all the way. Turned out he was correct. I do think we are prone to become negative at this time of the year due to past situations. I do not want a young man that wavers. State all the way or hit the damn road. Was looking at the kid from New York on another thread. If he puts out 100% awesome. Rather have that for our coaches to mold. This is my Qway raw ass rant.

Surprising since the on an interview on signing day CJ said he was 70% going to Ole miss the Night before signing then changed his mind the morning of signing day after talking to both coaches.

Todd4State
01-31-2014, 01:02 AM

See, I don't have any real close connections with the inside of MSU athletics, but I wasn't really worried about him flipping. Mainly because Jones never publicly de-committed. That's when you have to worry. At least I don't remember Jones de-committing from us.

At any rate, I felt like he was a guy that suddenly blew up in the recruiting world and then decided that he should enjoy it because this was the only time in his life that he would ever enjoy being recruited. And then I think things got really crazy for him and his family and then it seemed to become a grind for him.

Todd4State
01-31-2014, 01:03 AM
Surprising since the on an interview on signing day CJ said he was 70% going to Ole miss the Night before signing then changed his mind the morning of signing day after talking to both coaches.

He may have said that, but I don't know if I believe it. Who knows?

Coach34
01-31-2014, 08:16 AM

No he wasn't. Momma was never going to let that happen. He was signing with State whether he knew it or not

bulldogcountry1
01-31-2014, 08:31 AM
I think it's a perfect example of the vast differences in fanbases. The typical active UM fan is a cocky optimist who believes that good things are supposed to happen to them just because they are better than everyone else. It doesn't matter that they have no legitimate reason to think that. They just do, and it radiates from one to the next.

The typical active State fan is a realist who wants to believe, but just cant break away from the loser's mentality that existed before Byrne. At the first sign of adveristy, it's "here we go again". We can't appreciate our rate of growth and how far we have come. We can't trust that it will work out. That's why we flip out over a close WIN over Bowling green and losing out on recruits.

They are the Little Engine That Could and we are Henny Penny.