PDA

View Full Version : long snapper commit from New York

bully99
01-30-2014, 07:18 PM
Saw story that Charlie Rist from Rochester NY has committed to State. Played LB in high school.

civildawg
01-30-2014, 07:19 PM
Surely as a walkon right?

AFDawg
01-30-2014, 07:25 PM
Linkage:

http://youtu.be/cBk6MzXBdJU

http://www.ncsasports.org/football-recruiting/ny/rochester/aquinas-inst-of-rochester/charlie-rist

starkvegasdawg
01-30-2014, 07:27 PM
Secret elite commit.

bully99
01-30-2014, 07:36 PM
Story I saw said he was expected to sign next Wednesday. Said he picked State over Penn State.

Todd4State
01-30-2014, 07:43 PM
And the rabbit is out of the hat!

starkvegasdawg
01-30-2014, 07:57 PM
5'11" 210. Hope he doesn't have to hold a block very long.

bully99
01-30-2014, 08:15 PM
Ncaa gives protection to snappers. I think they get one second before defense can hit the snapper,so probably not a big deal.

preachermatt83
01-30-2014, 08:17 PM
this better not be a scholarship player!

sbcmortgageman
01-30-2014, 08:18 PM
If we waste a scholly on a long snapper this year AND don't hire a ST coach I'ma be a lil pissed.

Sacrifice
01-30-2014, 08:25 PM
Can he kick FGs too?

preachermatt83
01-30-2014, 08:27 PM
Can he kick FGs too?

^^^this!

Todd4State
01-30-2014, 08:33 PM
5'11" 210. Hope he doesn't have to hold a block very long.

He also has the same 40 time as sevendust's alleged 40 time.

smootness
01-30-2014, 08:36 PM
Guys, chill. This kid won't be on scholarship.

Todd4State
01-30-2014, 08:38 PM
Guys, chill. This kid won't be on scholarship.

I will NOT calm down!**

bully99
01-30-2014, 09:02 PM
Story out of NY says he will sign"letter of intent" with MSU. Do walkons sign loi's. I have no clue.

AFDawg
01-30-2014, 09:31 PM
Walk ons do not sign LOIs. But who knows if the NY reporting is accurate.

HancockCountyDog
01-30-2014, 09:37 PM
We won't be signing this kid.

I will be stunned if his name on the official signee list.

Dawg61
01-30-2014, 09:54 PM
Sounds like we are signing him. He better be NFL quality.

smootness
01-30-2014, 10:04 PM
Sounds like we are signing him. He better be NFL quality.

From who? I guarantee you we don't use a scholarship on a long snapper.

Pollodawg
01-30-2014, 10:22 PM
If this really is the the "rabbit" I've heard so much about here lately.......

Dawg61
01-30-2014, 10:29 PM

You guarantee it? Why would a dude from NYC choose a walk-on at MSU over a walk-on at PSU? Is he a PGM major or something.

esplanade91
01-30-2014, 10:42 PM
You guarantee it? Why would a dude from NYC choose a walk-on at MSU over a walk-on at PSU? Is he a PGM major or something.

Rochester is 6 hours from NYC. The same difference in Memphis and Gulfport. And PSU is #1 in PGM and MSU is #2. I would guess cost. Pay 1/2 to play in a better conference in better weather? Sign me up.

Quaoarsking
01-31-2014, 12:45 AM

If he's a legit NFL quality guy, then I have no problem using 1 of 85 scholarships on a long snapper. A bad snap on a punt can derail a whole game.

How many punts got blocked due to the punter mishandling the snap? 3? I don't remember if they were entirely snap issues or if Bell/Swedenburg just dropped it, but I can see why Mullen might want to solidify this issue.

Todd4State
01-31-2014, 12:50 AM
If he's a legit NFL quality guy, then I have no problem using 1 of 85 scholarships on a long snapper. A bad snap on a punt can derail a whole game.

How many punts got blocked due to the punter mishandling the snap? 3? I don't remember if they were entirely snap issues or if Bell/Swedenburg just dropped it, but I can see why Mullen might want to solidify this issue.

I think our special teams was a combined train wreck and it's hard to blame one person. We dropped the ball on a punt against Texas A&M and in the Liberty Bowl when we missed the extra point, it was in part because of a high snap. It looked to me like Holmes missed his blocking assignment in the Egg Bowl on the punt that Ole Miss blocked for a TD.

We need a special teams coach dedicated to coaching special teams.

Dawg61
01-31-2014, 01:32 AM
Rochester is 6 hours from NYC. The same difference in Memphis and Gulfport. And PSU is #1 in PGM and MSU is #2. I would guess cost. Pay 1/2 to play in a better conference in better weather? Sign me up.

Says who? When you can't play golf for 5-6 months because State College's weather sucks balls I would say it's not the #1 PGM program in America. I wonder if the PGM majors at PSU are bragging about being #1 when they are shoveling snow off their golf carts?

sbcmortgageman
01-31-2014, 05:29 AM
Why are y'all talking about PGM? Am I missing something? I thought he wanted to major in business management and/or finance per the link.

SallyStansbury
01-31-2014, 07:05 AM
I think our special teams was a combined train wreck and it's hard to blame one person.

Is it?

We need a special teams coach dedicated to coaching special teams.

There you go......this I agree with.

In Mullen's defense, the long snapper to which Croom gave a scholarship played his ass off for four years and not once did we have a screw up attributable to a poor snap, plus that guy, can't recall the name, was hell getting down the field FELD that's it......and making tackles. No doubt this is some buddy of Mullen's or some family/friend connection like that, that is his style. Would rather have a kicker, OL or one of the DT/DE's that we appear to be in on.

bully99
01-31-2014, 08:01 AM
How do you know he's Mullen friend. He did a first person profile of himself to try and get a offer from a college, which a lot of players do,and he said he did well at a kicking and snapper camp. Maybe he's Dan's long lost cousin.

SallyStansbury
01-31-2014, 08:14 AM
How do you know he's Mullen friend. He did a first person profile of himself to try and get a offer from a college, which a lot of players do,and he said he did well at a kicking and snapper camp. Maybe he's Dan's long lost cousin.

who knows man? Maybe it is totally random. But Dan has a tendency to make internal hires/promotions, call Urban to get his strength coach, etc...that is his tendency for better or worse. Given where this snapper is from, NE, I expect there is some family/friend/coach connection to Mullen. Not that there is anything wrong with that.

I would rather go head to head with Kentucky or Alabama, outbid them, outwork them, outrecruit them, call it whatever you care to call it, and get some stud players. Signing Feld actually worked well for Croom all considered, so it may not be a total bust, plus we don't even really know yet if he is getting a scholarship or not? To me underwhelming. Lets hope we finish strong.

Jack Lambert
01-31-2014, 08:43 AM
Ncaa gives protection to snappers. I think they get one second before defense can hit the snapper,so probably not a big deal.

I don't think they can hit him until his head comes up.

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
01-31-2014, 08:55 AM
Do you know which camp it was? Our punter commit Cooke went to a couple of kicking/snapping camps, one of the being Kohl's.

smootness
01-31-2014, 09:03 AM

Yes, I guarantee it. It is a long-snapper. Show me a long-snapper in the history of the SEC with a scholarship, and I might start to buy in.

bully99 read a random article from a place he can't even tell us, and nobody around State has ever mentioned the guy, even now. And spots are limited.

If there isn't a spot for Darius Liggins and maybe not for Grant Harris, then I guarantee there isn't one for this kid.

ETA: I see where Croom did, I forgot about that. But Mullen isn't that dumb. Can we all please just accept that if he's coming, it's as a walk-on? I mean, seriously, the only place that's even mentioned it was some random article from up there and it didn't even say for sure that he's coming on scholarship.

bully99
01-31-2014, 10:05 AM
Interpolation, the kids profile said he was a four star recruit from the Kohl's kicking and snapping camp,and he is training with somebody from the Hammer kicking and snapping camp.

Smoot I may be negative sometimes, but you're nothing but a damn know it all. You're an insufferable prick. Google is your friend. You can easily find info about the guy if you want to.

smootness
01-31-2014, 10:22 AM
Smoot I may be negative sometimes, but you're nothing but a damn know it all. You're an insufferable prick. Google is your friend. You can easily find info about the guy if you want to.

Dude, I'm just trying to look at this logically. I'm not saying you made it up or that you were trying to make this a bad situation; I'm just saying that I can't imagine any scenario in which we give this kid a scholarship. I'm not doubting what you heard, I'm just saying that it seems to be from some random source up north, and they probably didn't care enough to make the distinction between walking on and getting a full ride.

SallyStansbury
01-31-2014, 10:53 AM
Special Teams Coach (self) to Mullen: "Damn, I hate going head to head with these other teams over prized recruits and "losing" again and again. To win, I would have to be nice to the alumni, kiss some ass, and hand over some measure of control to "facilitate" recruiting victories......nah, how about we just sign some long snapper kid that my buddy from back home told me about!"
Mullen to Mullen: "That would suggest that I am serious about improving special teams, right?"

Special Teams Coach to Coach Miles/Saban/Insert Name Here: "Hey coach, I have this awesome long snapper I want to sign......he can snap a ball and knock a coke can off your head at 50 yrds!!!!"
Coach Miles/Saban/Insert Name Here: "Get out of my office with that retarded shit, this is the SEC."

We need a special teams coach. Mullen is not getting it done; he does other things better and needs to concentrate on those.

bully99
01-31-2014, 11:14 AM
So I apologize to you Smoot, I wasn't trying to beat you up, it was just what I read, but I don't know anything else. Peace Brother.

Really Clark?
01-31-2014, 12:46 PM
He is a preferred walk on like the long snapper from Tupelo

thf24
01-31-2014, 01:41 PM
Why are y'all talking about PGM? Am I missing something? I thought he wanted to major in business management and/or finance per the link.

That, and I don't know how he could pull off both football and PGM. I hung around several PGM majors at one point while I was in school, and it seems like they were going on required trips almost every weekend.