PDA

View Full Version : Sitting on the deer stand...

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
01-30-2014, 05:27 PM
I'm sitting here in my lock on, enjoying my last hunt of the season. What a gorgeous afternoon to end a great season. I killed 3 deer this year and the most ducks ever in one season. I made some great memories with some great friends that included killing my first gadwall and mallard, a snow deer hunt, and some wet times in the duck hole.

SpeckleDawg
01-31-2014, 11:34 AM
Any luck?

I enjoyed this season as well and I'm already looking forward to October. I killed a fat doe with my bow and killed a buck on Christmas Day. One of my most enjoyable hunts of this year was one where I watched my lumenok fly right under a great buck at about 30 yards. I had ~12 does all within about 50 yards and the one buck. It seemed like an eternity before I was able to draw back. Even though it sucks to miss, the way my heart was about to bust out of my chest is exactly why I can't wait for next season.

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
01-31-2014, 12:16 PM
Actually I was able to harvest a doe with a small caliber "primitive weapon" yesterday to close out the season. Of course, she didn't make it easy and ran off in a gully. Luckily for me she caught on a tree before she made it to the bottom and I cleaned her right there in the hole.
I'm right there with you brother when talking about October, I can't wait either. Opening afternoon of bow season this year, I had about the same situation you did with the does coming in first under my stand and then a real nice 8 pt in full velvet stepped out. I stood up to draw back on him, but had to freeze mid way up cause one of the does acted like she saw me. Fast forward about a little over an hour, I haven't moved and it's getting close to dark. I know I've got to get a shot on this deer or I may never see him again. He finally steps from behind the tree as I check to make sure the does aren't looking up at me and I release my arrow. I felt good about the shot but never heard him crash. I waited a while and climbed down to find the arrow (pass through) and blood. The blood trail only went for about 40 yards and no sign of him. It really pisses me off because I made a good shot and I was using poison and he still didn't die. I'm getting away from the current arrow/broadhead setup and going back to my old one. I've got a buck on cam right now that I plan on taking out opening day next year. He's got a split brow tine and 2 kickers off the back of his horns.

BeastMan
01-31-2014, 01:24 PM
That's awesome. It's all about the memories. My dad said he's done this year as well. Now I'm just looking for a slight warm up so the fish will start to bite. March can't get here fast enough

J-Dawg
01-31-2014, 01:32 PM
Quite the opposite for me this year, sadly.

Didn't harvest a single deer, mainly to the fact that I didn't get to go much.

Had one of the poorer duck seasons I've ever had. Spent too much time chasing them this year and didn't have a great return.

However, I'm already ready for next season. Oh, and maybe I can snag some bass out of my kayak, and shoot a turkey and some doves between now and then.

basedog
01-31-2014, 02:23 PM
My season wasn't what I wanted as I leased 75 acres in Kemper County. Had 11 bucks on my camera with four really nice wall hangers, but the problem was all 11 bucks on my camera where shown on my camera between midnight and 5 am., that really sucks! Did get three does, like most on here can't wait till next October. You never know what you can see in the woods sitting in a tree stand or shooting house, fun city!

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
01-31-2014, 02:26 PM
Now I'm just looking for a slight warm up so the fish will start to bite. March can't get here fast enough
Is that freshwater or saltwater fishing?

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
01-31-2014, 02:29 PM
My season wasn't what I wanted as I leased 75 acres in Kemper County. Had 11 bucks on my camera with four really nice wall hangers, but the problem was all 11 bucks on my camera where shown on my camera between midnight and 5 am., that really sucks! Did get three does, like most on here can't wait till next October. You never know what you can see in the woods sitting in a tree stand or shooting house, fun city!
I understand completely and that's the way it goes sometimes. How many different spots do you have cams set up?

basedog
01-31-2014, 03:33 PM
I got 3 camera's set up, Primos 35 camera are great for the price. I took off this week and hunted all day Tuesday thru Thursday night and didn't see the first deer. Btw, most of the pic's of the 11 different Bucks were taken in December and a lot of them were still together (had a few in January). I think only one or two of the Big Boys actually lived in the area, the rest were cruising for some booty call.

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
01-31-2014, 03:58 PM
Are you holding deer on the property or are they just passing through? I used to hunt a place like this and the only solution I found was to catch them in early October with my bow. I also added various fruit trees, sawtooth oaks, and a couple of food plots.

Dobberdawg
02-01-2014, 05:07 PM
Down to the last couple hours of my season right now near Sumrall. My father in law shot a nice 8 on our island in the Tibbee and a very nice 9 up in Hatley. All I got were freezer trophies and a limit of ducks one morning. Glad some of y'all were successful. I'm ready for specks and reds!

basedog
02-01-2014, 07:03 PM
Dawg EX, they are passing thru, sucks to see those bucks all at night. You are correct about seeing early.

Poopfinger
02-01-2014, 11:30 PM
This was my first year to really get into deer hunting. I didn't see very many deer, but I got 2 really nice bucks. Everyone told me it was beginner's luck, but I guess now I'm hooked. I can't wait til next season