PDA

View Full Version : Can you be a true dawg if you were tsun educated by choice?

MSU97
01-30-2014, 01:54 PM
I don't think so but wanted to see what other people had to say about it

chef dixon
01-30-2014, 01:59 PM
Are you a spy for the big recruiting weekends? Then absolutely, yes.

War Machine Dawg
01-30-2014, 02:00 PM

Are you really this stupid? Mods, can we drop the ban hammer on this fool?

MSU97
01-30-2014, 02:09 PM
Stupid no but some friends so called dawg fans think otherwise so I wanted to see where other people stood with it and your post answers my question war machine dawg

smootness
01-30-2014, 02:12 PM

I don't know what this means. If by 'true dawg' then you mean a State fan, then sure.

DawgHouseUnited
01-30-2014, 02:15 PM
I've got a buddy who graduated in engineering from State, then went to law school up there. His words on OM? You can't really, truly hate it until you've been there...

Hot Rock
01-30-2014, 02:25 PM
I've got a buddy who graduated in engineering from State, then went to law school up there. His words on OM? You can't really, truly hate it until you've been there...

My daughters got their undergrad degrees from Delta State and Mississippi State but both got thier graduate level degrees from Ole Miss. Both are Mississippi State fans and seemed to share the opinion, "You can't truly hate..."

So yeah, you can be a State fan and attend Ole Miss. It can happen.

MSU97
01-30-2014, 02:30 PM
True dawg to me would just be a dawg fan who rides it out through the good and the bad smootness, no bandwagon nonsense

messageboardsuperhero
01-30-2014, 02:32 PM
I know a State guy who went to UM because they have a really good accounting program, and I'm sure there are plenty of UM fans who went to State for engineering or an applied science. It is very possible to separate fandom and school.

Hell, I live in Oxford and can verify that "You can't truly hate it until you're there." The town is fine, but some of the people...

Jack Lambert
01-30-2014, 02:34 PM
I know a guy who graduated from State and is a die hard MSU baseball fan but he is a die hard Ole Miss football fan. Never understood.

dawgoneyall
01-30-2014, 02:37 PM
Yes. Know one of the biggest MSU fans alive and he got his degree from there.

All things are possible.

MSU97
01-30-2014, 02:40 PM
Very similar situation jack and didn't know what people thought about it. I understand the reasons for going because of degrees but going to school there willingly then saying your a die hard state fan just confuses me and I cant understand it because I see it as that person saying he doesnt like Starkville but then wants to be a fan. Wouldn't that person want to go to MSU if they were such a big fan?

archdog
01-30-2014, 02:49 PM
No.

Tbaen
01-30-2014, 02:51 PM
I graduated from State, then went to Ole Miss Law. I couldn't really, truly hate it etc etc until I went there.

state66
01-30-2014, 02:54 PM
No alot of my friends went there do to proximity from home, they give in state tuition to memphis and alot of other reasons. Shit if you dont like the majors offered at state and ole miss has one you like why not go there. at the end of the day all their money goes to the bulldog club and thats okay with me.

War Machine Dawg
01-30-2014, 02:54 PM

Same here. Got 2 degrees from State and a JD from OM. He's right, you can't really hate them until you've lived amongst them for 3 years. Of course, I got the hatred early on from growing up in Batesville. It might be worse being a State fan there than it is in Oxford.

CJDAWG85
01-30-2014, 03:38 PM
What the hell is the point of this thread?

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
01-30-2014, 03:42 PM
Spinoff...can you be a true dawg if you married into an ole miss family?

smootness
01-30-2014, 04:10 PM
True dawg to me would just be a dawg fan who rides it out through the good and the bad smootness, no bandwagon nonsense

Well, then as long as they ride it out through the good and bad, they're a true dawg.

I went to UGA, didn't go to State. But both my parents went, we tripped to MS and back probably 3-4 times a year growing up, and I've never thought about being a fan of anything else. It isn't a choice I make, it's just who I am. I can't not root for State, and I can't root for anyone else the same way. I went to one football game while at UGA, and it was the one trip State came to Athens.

Went to probably 5-6 basketball games, and 2 of them were State games. Went to one baseball series, when State came. Once it's in you, it's not ever leaving.

And I think being a State fan is better than being a fan of anyone else, personally. Sure, Bama wins more. But who cares? All that means is that the same feeling we get when we win 4 games is the feeling they get when they win 9. We go to the Liberty Bowl, and it's like Bama going to the Sugar. If we ever do play for a national title, it will be unlike anything a Bama fan could ever experience.

ETA: And I can't root for UGA. I'm sure some people would say, 'well, it's easier to root for UGA'; that may be true but only if you aren't a true State fan to begin with. I can't root for UGA because deep down I don't care; I would just be pretending. Again, I don't make choices in who to root for. You either care or you don't; I care about State and I don't care about anybody else.

messageboardsuperhero
01-30-2014, 04:38 PM
Spinoff...can you be a true dawg if you married into an ole miss family?

Is this a serious question? I really can't tell.

Anyone who chooses a spouse based on where they and their family went to college is a little crazy.

ckDOG
01-30-2014, 04:52 PM

Do whatever the hell makes you happy, but I've never understood undergraduates that hold on to their childhood loyalties. You spend 4 years of your life busting your ass, having fun, and making lifelong friends while at school. Embrace the local culture and be a fan of the athletics program there on out. Go to sporting events with those lifelong friends. Piss on the program your rooted for as a kid. The people near you are more important than some crap ideal you had when you were 12.

Graduate school? That's much different. You've already done your time as an undergraduate, had the college experience, and made those good friends. You're exempt from calling yourself a rebel, tiger or whatever if your educational pursuits take you that direction. You will be there a short period of time anyhow.

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
01-30-2014, 05:16 PM
Is this a serious question? I really can't tell.

Anyone who chooses a spouse based on where they and their family went to college is a little crazy.

I'm probably still a little crazy, but no I wasn't being serious.

RC3
01-30-2014, 05:28 PM
ive got a post grad degree from there and i can promise you i hate those sons of bitches...always have and always will.
I have my diploma from there matted in maroon and grey

blacklistedbully
01-30-2014, 07:27 PM
Very similar situation jack and didn't know what people thought about it. I understand the reasons for going because of degrees but going to school there willingly then saying your a die hard state fan just confuses me and I cant understand it because I see it as that person saying he doesnt like Starkville but then wants to be a fan. Wouldn't that person want to go to MSU if they were such a big fan?

The city of Starkville itself is nothing to brag about. For decades in the past it has been an Albatross about our necks for recruiting. It's small & boring, though it's improved leaps and bounds since I was there in the 80's. But loving State is not about loving the city, it's about loving the university and the community. It's about the values our school holds dear, the character.

Up north they define themselves on superficial shit and an unreal false sense of superiority that is beyond obnoxious. There it's less about honor, integrity & character, more about perception, partying, and believing you're better than others simply because you go to Ole Miss.

gravedigger
01-30-2014, 08:26 PM
Yes. I'm related to two of them. Both were born bulldogs. One became a pharmacist and the other an attorney.

Vandownbytheriver
01-30-2014, 08:35 PM
I'm in school here now. It's less than 2 miles from my house. Since I'm in my mid-30s and wanted to go back to finish my degree, I didn't see the point of making my wife quit her job and dragging my kids away from their friends after the job I had for 12 years was downsized. If that makes me less of a State fan so be it.

Political Hack
01-30-2014, 08:52 PM
I know several LSU fans that went to state.

Martianlander
01-31-2014, 09:19 AM
From a recent column:
Dear Abby,
My father is in jail. My mother and sister are drug pushers and addicts. My question is should I tell my fiance that my brother went to Ole Miss?
Befuddled in Mississippi