msstate7
01-30-2014, 12:57 PM
How does think affect oj smith?

Thick
01-30-2014, 01:04 PM
Not in a good way.

maroonmania
01-30-2014, 01:06 PM
Means we can't catch a break in recruiting to save our lives is what it means.

msstate7
01-30-2014, 01:15 PM
Yeah this seems to be the double whammy. Bama keeps oj and Kentucky gets better with Elam

maroonmania
01-30-2014, 01:29 PM
Yeah this seems to be the double whammy. Bama keeps oj and Kentucky gets better with Elam

In general January doesn't seem to be kind to us in recruiting since Mullen has been here. We did pick up Ross and Cleveland last year late but we also whiffed on a number of other bigger prospects that Brewster was on. Shepard will be great if we get him committed and get him in school. Sort of losing faith on how many of these DL we can snag given 2 of them (Thomas and Carter) are committed elsewhere. Nothing really left out there on the OL front now.

RougeDawg
01-30-2014, 01:37 PM
I'm just having a difficult time seeing how Kentucky is recruiting this well after a horrible season and their recent suckage in football.

hailmari
01-30-2014, 01:42 PM
UK might have a solid season coming up. I'm pretty worried about that game to be honest.

chef dixon
01-30-2014, 01:44 PM
I'm just having a difficult time seeing how Kentucky is recruiting this well after a horrible season and their recent suckage in football.

I think it might have a lot to do with Lexington being a pretty cool place. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe its the second biggest SEC city aside from Nashville.

maroonmania
01-30-2014, 01:47 PM
I think it might have a lot to do with Lexington being a pretty cool place. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe its the second biggest SEC city aside from Nashville.

As was mentioned in another thread its much more likely they have adopted the same model OM has. Lexington is the same place its been for the past 15-20 years and it hadn't helped them in recruiting.

Coach34
01-30-2014, 01:48 PM
Kentucky is spending money- good gosh they have beaten Ohio State and now Bama out for recruits.

HancockCountyDog
01-30-2014, 01:48 PM

New coach - selling SEC football to Ohio players that OSU is not really offering. Now they landed the best player in state by selling him on staying home.

I would much rather Vandy be the team that is getting all this attention, the way they were a few months ago.

I mean Kentucky is looking like they are signing a top 20 class. Vandy may not sign 20 players, their class is a train wreck.

chef dixon
01-30-2014, 01:54 PM
As was mentioned in another thread its much more likely they have adopted the same model OM has. Lexington is the same place its been for the past 15-20 years and it hadn't helped them in recruiting.

Fair enough but I believe the single biggest thing that hurts MSU against these other programs is location/atmosphere.

smootness
01-30-2014, 01:57 PM
Kentucky will come back down to earth some next year. Every SEC school has an advantage over everyone else in that playing SEC football is a huge draw to recruits right now.

Add to that the fact that it is a new staff, and it's a lot easier to be a great recruiter when you're selling a dream and a vision than once you have 2-3 years of mediocrity under your belt.

I'm one who doesn't buy much of the 'Ole Miss is paying everybody' stuff. However, I do think they recruit differently and that they sell a party, fun atmosphere, and obviously use girls in this. I'm sure we do that on some level, but it doesn't seem to be to the level they do. Kentucky may be taking a similar approach.

Regardless, that approach is still going to be minimal if you can't also sell the program. We saw that Freeze was able to sell the program a lot easier when he didn't have much evidence on the field one way or another; the longer they go without winning big, the harder it will become to bring in the elite athletes...same with Kentucky.

I expect Kentucky to fall back to around 30ish probably next year.

Bass Chaser
01-30-2014, 02:10 PM
Y'all do realize Elam is from KY?

Pollodawg
01-30-2014, 03:32 PM
It's Kentucky. Who gives a shit. We handled that ass in the best year UK has had since I don't remember when in 2007. This is with Croom now in the same year that they beat LSU. We beat them 35-14 I think. In Lexington.......

spiritual_machine2005
01-30-2014, 03:37 PM
No game in the SEC is a gimme. We were a shoe string tackle away from losing to KY this past season.....in STARKVILLE!

TUSK
01-30-2014, 07:16 PM
How does think affect oj smith?

17 17 17!!!!!!!

Op4isabitch
01-30-2014, 08:35 PM
17 17 17!!!!!!!

The answer is 51.

17 is a sixpackspeak thing, please leave it there.

TUSK
01-30-2014, 11:50 PM
Kentucky will come back down to earth some next year. Every SEC school has an advantage over everyone else in that playing SEC football is a huge draw to recruits right now.

Add to that the fact that it is a new staff, and it's a lot easier to be a great recruiter when you're selling a dream and a vision than once you have 2-3 years of mediocrity under your belt.

I'm one who doesn't buy much of the 'Ole Miss is paying everybody' stuff. However, I do think they recruit differently and that they sell a party, fun atmosphere, and obviously use girls in this. I'm sure we do that on some level, but it doesn't seem to be to the level they do. Kentucky may be taking a similar approach.

Regardless, that approach is still going to be minimal if you can't also sell the program. We saw that Freeze was able to sell the program a lot easier when he didn't have much evidence on the field one way or another; the longer they go without winning big, the harder it will become to bring in the elite athletes...same with Kentucky.

I expect Kentucky to fall back to around 30ish probably next year.

Great post.

msstate7
01-30-2014, 11:57 PM
17 17 17!!!!!!!
So are you guys gonna keep oj now?

MarketingBully01
01-31-2014, 12:00 AM
Yep, we played like shit too in that game and ruined the momentum by putting in Russell the third series. Could have easily been something like 21 or 28-7 at halftime. We also let them come back in that game and our defense had not jelled. We will be fine next year. I expect us to beat them by at least 14 next year on their way to yet another 2-10 campaign. Will be hard for the Stoopinator to recruit next year and be 4-20. What can you sell with that two year record? They absolutely suck.

Todd4State
01-31-2014, 01:10 AM
Yep, we played like shit too in that game and ruined the momentum by putting in Russell the third series. Could have easily been something like 21 or 28-7 at halftime. We also let them come back in that game and our defense had not jelled. We will be fine next year. I expect us to beat them by at least 14 next year on their way to yet another 2-10 campaign. Will be hard for the Stoopinator to recruit next year and be 4-20. What can you sell with that two year record? They absolutely suck.

That was also the game that Scott brilliantly scheduled in the middle of fall break on a Thursday night to set record lows for attendance during the Dan Mullen era. The key play was Jameon throwing that TD pass to Dak.