PDA

View Full Version : So I have a question...

Lumpy Chucklelips
01-30-2014, 11:34 AM
regarding the incident with Ray and Henderson.

First let me say that I feel that Ray was wrong for retaliating to Henderson's comments. I get that. I have said and done things, like all of us, that we did in the heat of the moment that we went back and regretted. Ray handled it correctly if he indeed went to Kennedy and Henderson and apologized shortly thereafter.

So, we have the facts that Henderson mouthed of first....not sure what he said....don't know if he used profanity or not....

Next....We do know that athletes DO use profanity when smack talking, etc. no matter which sport.

Next....We have a grown man who is a coach and represents his university. And we have a student/athlete, who depending on how we want to look at things.....(1) he's old enough to fight for his country, and (2) If he's arrested in our judicial system he is tried as an adult; or (3) he's a kid that is growing up and we all know kids at this age do stupid things, etc.

I've attached a link below where it states that Henderson "appeared" to say 17u first, so let's play along and "assume" Henderson in fact did say it first. And if you want to separate this from an "Ole Miss vs. MSU" discussion, look at it as if a North Dakota State player said this to a South Dakota State coach....

My question is this....Why do we allow a player to say whatever he wants and the coach not?? And after seeing this scenario between a coach and player for what I guess is the first time for me to see it....I can't recall a coach and player exchanging 17u's before...of course I am getting old and forgetful...

And again let me say that I feel that Ray was in the wrong for saying what he did, so I'm not saying we should let people say whatever they want in a situation like this.....so in the end, I guess I can say that I feel we should also get a handle on what players say also. And they should be reprimanded or held to the same accountability as the coaches are. And I feel that way because I am old enough to have seen things that started off small and were allowed to turn into big things that become problems....i.e.; when I was 12 I never saw anyone on my TV set twerking, but my 12 year old daughter gets to see Miley Cyrus acting like a slut in today's day and age.

If we let the Marshall Henderson of today get away with "presumably" saying 17u to his opponents in today's arena, what are my children's children going to be seeing and hearing during athletic events in the future?

And I'm sure some of you will just tell me to shut the 17 up and get over it, which wouldn't have happened 30 years ago either...

http://www.secrant.com/news/63871/47888354/GIF-Miss-St-Coach-Says-FK-You-To-Marshall-Henderson

Jack Lambert
01-30-2014, 11:38 AM
regarding the incident with Ray and Henderson.

First let me say that I feel that Ray was wrong for retaliating to Henderson's comments. I get that. I have said and done things, like all of us, that we did in the heat of the moment that we went back and regretted. Ray handled it correctly if he indeed went to Kennedy and Henderson and apologized shortly thereafter.

So, we have the facts that Henderson mouthed of first....not sure what he said....don't know if he used profanity or not....

Next....We do know that athletes DO use profanity when smack talking, etc. no matter which sport.

Next....We have a grown man who is a coach and represents his university. And we have a student/athlete, who depending on how we want to look at things.....(1) he's old enough to fight for his country, and (2) If he's arrested in our judicial system he is tried as an adult; or (3) he's a kid that is growing up and we all know kids at this age do stupid things, etc.

I've attached a link below where it states that Henderson "appeared" to say 17u first, so let's play along and "assume" Henderson in fact did say it first. And if you want to separate this from an "Ole Miss vs. MSU" discussion, look at it as if a North Dakota State player said this to a South Dakota State coach....

My question is this....Why do we allow a player to say whatever he wants and the coach not?? And after seeing this scenario between a coach and player for what I guess is the first time for me to see it....I can't recall a coach and player exchanging 17u's before...of course I am getting old and forgetful...

And again let me say that I feel that Ray was in the wrong for saying what he did, so I'm not saying we should let people say whatever they want in a situation like this.....so in the end, I guess I can say that I feel we should also get a handle on what players say also. And they should be reprimanded or held to the same accountability as the coaches are. And I feel that way because I am old enough to have seen things that started off small and were allowed to turn into big things that become problems....i.e.; when I was 12 I never saw anyone on my TV set twerking, but my 12 year old daughter gets to see Miley Cyrus acting like a slut in today's day and age.

If we let the Marshall Henderson of today get away with "presumably" saying 17u to his opponents in today's arena, what are my children's children going to be seeing and hearing during athletic events in the future?

And I'm sure some of you will just tell me to shut the 17 up and get over it, which wouldn't have happened 30 years ago either...

http://www.secrant.com/news/63871/47888354/GIF-Miss-St-Coach-Says-FK-You-To-Marshall-Henderson

After basketball season the next time we hear about Henderson will be in the Clarion Ledger and the head line will starts by saying former ole miss basketball player arrested.

Oxfordawg
01-30-2014, 11:42 AM
Hendersons career will end up like Nick Turner, lots of talent and promise plagued by horrible decisions

smootness
01-30-2014, 12:01 PM
You're absolutely right, they should be held to the same standard. Ray handled it the way he should have and apologized; if Henderson played for Ray, you can rest assured he would be sitting the next game also, and he certainly would have apologized privately and publicly as well.

I think the reason the national media didn't say much about Henderson is a) it's what everyone expects of him; and b) you couldn't see him directly turn to Ray and say anything, where you clearly saw Ray cursing directly at Henderson.