PDA

View Full Version : Stallings has committed to Kentucky per Steve

MetEdDawg
01-29-2014, 06:47 PM
Not to toot one's own horn but that correlates to the information I posted earlier. Hate it still. I think he's highly underrated and could have been very good for us.

deltadawg99
01-29-2014, 07:00 PM
What do we do with his spot? Go after another OL or hope to run the table with DL guys?

MetEdDawg
01-29-2014, 07:03 PM
That's the problem right now. We don't really have another great option. Elgton Jenkins from Clarksdale is visiting this weekend and we may end up offering him. This is really going to hurt us because we need another OL with Rawlings jumping ship and us not getting Stallings. Really hope we can surprise someone and come through with Sims or someone else.

Goat Holder
01-29-2014, 07:03 PM
If it's any consolation, I believed you. Basically because I knew you have B'ham connections.

Offer the Clarksdale boys and be done with it. If nothing else, we get some in-roads there. Back in my day, they were a powerhouse. Whatever happened there?

BogeyGolfer
01-29-2014, 07:08 PM
Good for him... I think he is making a mistake but so be it.. OL is a big concern for me at this point.

MetEdDawg
01-29-2014, 07:12 PM
If it's any consolation, I believed you. Basically because I knew you have B'ham connections.

Offer the Clarksdale boys and be done with it. If nothing else, we get some in-roads there. Back in my day, they were a powerhouse. Whatever happened there?

Thanks Goat. This one just happened to set up right in my wheelhouse in terms of connections. Once I move back to Bham in a few months I should hopefully get my feelers out in a few more areas.

Yeah it looks like Jenkins is probably going to be our plan from here. Seems pretty clear we want to get another OL. I just don't understand how we can put Sherrod and Gabe into the first two rounds of the NFL Draft, most likely put Clausell and Day in the draft, and we can't decently rated OL to WANT to come here.

thunderclap
01-29-2014, 07:14 PM
Well...where's the beef?

tcdog70
01-29-2014, 07:17 PM
We could have signed Blake Sharp. RT at Scooba. He signed with La. Tech. He Started two years and.He bLocked both Bama signees everyday in practice.

deltadawg99
01-29-2014, 07:23 PM
What about Ken Edwards from Philadelphia Currently committed to ULL or Ladarius Kidd from gulfport who is committed to Texas tech?

bulldawg28
01-29-2014, 07:24 PM
We're fine. Is not like any of the freshman linemen were playing this fall regardless.

Coach34
01-29-2014, 07:34 PM
We are going to sign at least one juco guy for the OL every recruiting class. Mullen learned his lesson and will use the jucos as he should.

We only have 3 Sr's in the coming year.

HancockCountyDog
01-29-2014, 07:41 PM
We are going to sign at least one juco guy for the OL every recruiting class. Mullen learned his lesson and will use the jucos as he should.

We only have 3 Sr's in the coming year.

Technically we have 5 Scholarship OL that are seniors next year - Beckwith (was given a scholarship is my understanding), Day, Clausell, Muniz (Should be required to give his to Beckwith) and Robinson.

So we will need to hit the OL hard next year - especially January Juco guys.

Bully13
01-29-2014, 07:57 PM
Not to toot one's own horn but that correlates to the information I posted earlier. Hate it still. I think he's highly underrated and could have been very good for us.

whose in charge of Olinemen recruitment around this joint? when's somebody going to be held accountable? same shit , different year; like when we signed trapp from CA; always having to settle; have we gotten to the point that this is acceptable? nobody can hang on to shit; everybody recruiting Olinemen are the suck;'

Homedawg
01-29-2014, 07:59 PM

This can't be.** Where are all those that called bullshit? I hate it when someone comes to the board w info, like yourself, and it isn't what genes sheep want to hear and it's automatically discredited. Keep bringing the info man. Thanks. Don't let em get you down!

maroonmania
01-29-2014, 08:00 PM
whose in charge of Olinemen recruitment around this joint? when's somebody going to be held accountable? same shit , different year; like when we signed trapp from CA; always having to settle; have we gotten to the point that this is acceptable? nobody can hang on to shit; everybody recruiting Olinemen are the suck;'

Preaching to the choir with me. Most other areas we are recruiting at a real SEC level. OL recruiting is more like CUSA level. Probably didn't help that this year 2 of our primary targets were tied at the hip to OM (Rawlings, Stallings).

Goat Holder
01-29-2014, 08:03 PM
I just don't understand how we can put Sherrod and Gabe into the first two rounds of the NFL Draft, most likely put Clausell and Day in the draft, and we can't decently rated OL to WANT to come here.

I personally think it's Hevesy. I know for a fact he ran off Deon Mix (we all know that story) and Donald Hawkins from NW. Hawkins wanted to come here but he hated Hevesy. Oh well, hard to really get down on him because he seems like he's a fairly averagesolid OL coach. He was a big upgrade from Grimes and those bums Croom had.

But yeah, sooner or later they need to make their lives a little easier and bring in some talented OL prospects instead of having to sign 2 stars and hoping they grow up.

MarketingBully01
01-29-2014, 08:40 PM
Whatever man, I never said I didn't believe him. It just didn't make sense. Met's info did look solid and was lining up from what I was seeing on other boards. I wish Stallings well but IMO he is making a big mistake from a stand point of distance and playing on a team that will not make a bowl when he is there.

It is a second rate program to their basketball program and will always be in the bottom of the SEC in football. if he is just basing his decision on a "visit" without seeing the big picture, then he is basing his decision misguidedly. I don't think Stoops is going to do anything at Kentucky.

MarketingBully01
01-29-2014, 08:41 PM
According to Met, it was the "party" scene we showed on his visit that turned him away. It wasn't Hev in Stallings' case.

preachermatt83
01-29-2014, 08:53 PM

it has been stated over and over and over that we do not recruit by position but rather by area. having said that I am sure the O-linemen have plenty of opportunity to get to know their position coach and maybe many just don't like hevesy. Some do and some don't like those type personalities. Me personally I can't stand Hevesy but I know others who love him.

deltadawg99
01-29-2014, 09:07 PM
Anybody know anything about the Jenkins kid from Clarksdale? Scout doesn't have anything on him and I can't find any film on him.

HancockCountyDog
01-29-2014, 09:38 PM
Anybody know anything about the Jenkins kid from Clarksdale? Scout doesn't have anything on him and I can't find any film on him.

P-R-O-J-E-C-T.

I'd much rather sign no one and save the spot.

Coach34
01-29-2014, 09:41 PM
Technically we have 5 Scholarship OL that are seniors next year - Beckwith (was given a scholarship is my understanding), Day, Clausell, Muniz (Should be required to give his to Beckwith) and Robinson.

So we will need to hit the OL hard next year - especially January Juco guys.

Muniz and Robinson are dead weight and wont be in the top 12- dont even count them

Coach34
01-29-2014, 09:44 PM
I personally think it's Hevesy. .

No it was the "package" that Stallings wanted. He aint good enough to get a "package". Kentucky obliged

HancockCountyDog
01-29-2014, 09:51 PM
Muniz and Robinson are dead weight and wont be in the top 12- dont even count them

Robinson will be in two deep next year, he was last year. Hell, I'll be interested to see where he is when spring starts.

I agree about Muniz.

Coach34
01-29-2014, 10:23 PM
Robinson will be in two deep next year, he was last year.

More guys in the equation this year, gonna be tougher for him to hang on

BogeyGolfer
01-29-2014, 10:32 PM
No it was the "package" that Stallings wanted. He aint good enough to get a "package". Kentucky obliged

And all this time I thought it was because we partied too much** this makes a hell of a lot more sense than faith.

Coach34
01-29-2014, 10:52 PM
And all this time I thought it was because we partied too much** this makes a hell of a lot more sense than faith.

Yeah, I knew that was bullshit spin when I heard it

hailmari
01-29-2014, 10:59 PM
Yeah, he'd have to be a pretty sheltered kid if he thinks we party too hard..

MetEdDawg
01-29-2014, 10:59 PM
Yeah, I knew that was bullshit spin when I heard it

It may have been bullshit spin, but it wasn't on my end. I relayed exactly what I was told from my source that was told that by Bunchy. Maybe that's the case, maybe not. But if players say there is nothing to do in Starkville but party, who is to blame him or say you don't believe that unless you have specific facts to the contrary? What I said has all verified up to this point, so the only thing in dispute is the validity for one of the reasons he decided he didn't want to come here.

Again, it may have been a front on his part. But he seems to be a very straight laced kid so I'm not necessarily inclined to disagree with his reasoning, especially if the players are the ones that told him that and he didn't get the chance to investigate their claims himself.

Coach34
01-29-2014, 11:15 PM
I'm not blaming you MetEd- I'm sure that was the official spin out of there camp

MetEdDawg
01-29-2014, 11:22 PM
Well something else I found out was that the UK coaches ended up walking in the snow to get to Spain Park to meet him yesterday. Obviously that made an even larger impression on him of what UK was willing to do to talk to him. So that didn't help our case and definitely helped theirs and made an impression.

Honestly I had a tough time believing that the players sold the whole "all we do is party in Starkville" line. But honestly I wasn't sure what to think about it. It's all about context. I don't think it's "all we do is party in Starkville". It's more of a "there isn't really anything else to do in Starkville except party". I can definitely see that turning off a recruit because in some ways that's true. We need to change that.

I don't like losing a football recruiting battle to UK any more than anyone else does, especially with an OL. It sucks badly. Hope we can figure out a back up plan here.

bully99
01-29-2014, 11:31 PM
Talty tweeted a link to some nonsensical story that it was the snow storm yesterday that was his reason. Someone can post a link.

Goat Holder
01-29-2014, 11:32 PM
I will say that Kentucky is paying as much as anybody these days.....even Ole Miss. I know how the Z Smith ordeal went down.

Coach34
01-29-2014, 11:34 PM
but ummmmm...werent you told this news before the snow storm MetEd?

mic
01-29-2014, 11:35 PM
Well something else I found out was that the UK coaches ended up walking in the snow to get to Spain Park to meet him yesterday. Obviously that made an even larger impression on him of what UK was willing to do to talk to him. So that didn't help our case and definitely helped theirs and made an impression.

Honestly I had a tough time believing that the players sold the whole "all we do is party in Starkville" line. But honestly I wasn't sure what to think about it. It's all about context. I don't think it's "all we do is party in Starkville". It's more of a "there isn't really anything else to do in Starkville except party". I can definitely see that turning off a recruit because in some ways that's true. We need to change that.

I don't like losing a football recruiting battle to UK any more than anyone else does, especially with an OL. It sucks badly. Hope we can figure out a back up plan here.

They had to walk in the snow because every interstate / hwy in bham was a freaking parking lot or junk yard and their car was prob in that.
We lost the kid to UK. Its not that big a deal. If we had kept all these OL we have "lost or missed out on" we would have no room for the 4 DL studs that have us leaders or co leaders..
We have some young talent in OL. (Thomas, Flowers, Clayborn, Malone, Senior, Desper)
But I agree we HAVE to recruit better OL if we want to compete. And we have to do it quickly..

Pollodawg
01-29-2014, 11:42 PM
The dude chose to play for a team that's 4-20 over the last two seasons. Let that speak for itself. He can enjoy four years of not going to bowls and not beating MSU. Let's ask Rajion Neal if he would be all Orange if he had it to do over again.

MarketingBully01
01-29-2014, 11:52 PM
Our in home is with him tomorrow and he made this commitment without discussing it fully with his parents. Let's just see how this thing plays out a little bit further before giving it to Kentucky. Also, Collins was the lead recruiter with Stallings not Hev. Hev landed Aeris Williams and also is why we are in the OJ Smith battle. Hev isn't as bad a recruiter as some of you guys are making him out to be.

SDDawg
01-30-2014, 02:46 AM
I'm pulling a Yancy on this one, I think we backed off Stallings due to "character issues"... *******************

Seriously, I wish the kid well at Kentucky. It's going to suck getting his ass beat for 4 - 5 years, they're not going to turn the corner there. Could have been blocking for a Heisman candidate here, whatevs...

SDDawg
01-30-2014, 02:48 AM
P-R-O-J-E-C-T.

I'd much rather sign no one and save the spot.

Maybe, but the kid has four D1 offers according to his coach (non-BCS). I haven't seen any film either, his coach said that they have done a bad job of getting his name out there.

maroonmania
01-30-2014, 09:40 AM
Maybe, but the kid has four D1 offers according to his coach (non-BCS). I haven't seen any film either, his coach said that they have done a bad job of getting his name out there.

THAT is the whole frustration. Guys like Rawlings, Calhoun and Stallings are all marginal SEC recruits to begin with but we are having trouble locking even THEM down. And I'm not even aware of any other offers for the JUCO OL guy. We complain about Siddoway but he was a MUCH, MUCH higher rated Juco OL than Johnson is.

CJDAWG85
01-30-2014, 09:44 AM
Just out of curiosity... UK is getting a lot of big time recruits... Um how? What does UK have that is so appealing to these kids? Promising they can play basketball for Cal after football season?

Really Clark?
01-30-2014, 09:53 AM
THAT is the whole frustration. Guys like Rawlings, Calhoun and Stallings are all marginal SEC recruits to begin with but we are having trouble locking even THEM down. And I'm not even aware of any other offers for the JUCO OL guy. We complain about Siddoway but he was a MUCH, MUCH higher rated Juco OL than Johnson is.

Siddoway was rated lower than Johnson, not much much higher. Johnson had two SEC offers, us and OM.

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
01-30-2014, 10:30 AM
WTF...where you at Engie? Are we picking and choosing what recruits we can talk shit about or does 34 get a pass? That's a much more serious suggestion than me saying Rawlings was up to no good on MSU boards. I hope Stallings wasn't having second thoughts about his decision, because he and his family could read this free board if they wanted.

Coach34
01-30-2014, 10:33 AM
truth gonna truth

He wont be changing his mind

TheDawgBiscuit
01-30-2014, 11:52 AM
truth gonna truth

He wont be changing his mind

This sort of demeanor and attitude is bad for MSU. Just saying. Seriously. This sort of crap and accusation is old and ridiculous. Does it make you look smarter, more connected, etc.... What good fruit does this bare at all? none. Are you a part of a negotiation? Uh No.

And to add what possible good could come out of posting anything like this at all. Your not helping anyone.

TheDawgBiscuit
01-30-2014, 11:53 AM
If you got nothing good to say, say nothing. I am sure if you talked to Coaches they would tell you to shut up.

Pollodawg
01-30-2014, 11:55 AM
If the dude really does choose UK over MSU, he needs his head examined. Yep. And you can throw a fit over that too, but it's true.

bluelightstar
01-30-2014, 12:15 PM
If the dude really does choose UK over MSU, he needs his head examined. Yep. And you can throw a fit over that too, but it's true.

well another kid just picked UK over Bama. every school is pulling recruiting coups these days. well, most every school.

Coach34
01-30-2014, 12:16 PM
This sort of demeanor and attitude is bad for MSU. Just saying. Seriously. This sort of crap and accusation is old and ridiculous. Does it make you look smarter, more connected, etc.... What good fruit does this bare at all? none. Are you a part of a negotiation? Uh No.

And to add what possible good could come out of posting anything like this at all. Your not helping anyone.

It's just an explanation as to why the kid chose Kentucky. He committed to Kentucky when they "committed" to him. Dont go all Sevendust on here and try to create drama where there is none

Coach34
01-30-2014, 12:18 PM
well another kid just picked UK over Bama. every school is pulling recruiting coups these days. well, most every school.

Kentucky decided to recruit in football like they do in basketball. Thus you are seeing a tremendous jump in the recruiting rankings. They are following the Ole Miss model

MarketingBully01
01-30-2014, 12:32 PM
It still won't help in results. You won't see them win the east and they will still be bottom of the barrel in the SEC. Their ceiling is 6-6. They are not a winning program. They literally would need a Saban or a Spurrier just to make it to our level. Their fans and that area don't give a shit about football. They can cheat all they want.

Really Clark?
01-30-2014, 12:38 PM

Yeah they did but he was from Kentucky I believe, so it would be similar to us pulling Chris Jones last year.

maroonmania
01-30-2014, 01:05 PM
Siddoway was rated lower than Johnson, not much much higher. Johnson had two SEC offers, us and OM.

Well, much much higher was probably over the top as far as the exact recruiting rankings because it looks like they are fairly close but Siddoway was considered the top HS OL out of Oregon his HS SR year and signed with Cal. Coming out of JUCO he had offers from schools like Pitt, WV, Iowa St., Rutgers, and Tx Tech. Johnson has no offers outside of the MS schools.

Really Clark?
01-30-2014, 01:16 PM
Well, much much higher was probably over the top as far as the exact recruiting rankings because it looks like they are fairly close but Siddoway was considered the top HS OL out of Oregon his HS SR year and signed with Cal. Coming out of JUCO he had offers from schools like Pitt, WV, Iowa St., Rutgers, and Tx Tech. Johnson has no offers outside of the MS schools.

Don't see a Texas Tech offer on 247 but they may have. He took two OV to us and Pitt. They were both 3 stars with a difference of 2 points in the ratings 85 for Johnson and 83 for Siddoway (composite). I think they may end up being about the same or Johnson might end up a little better. But thats just me and what Im looking at. But who knows really until he starts playing. There wasn't too many very high on Siddoway when we signed him.

Dawg61
01-30-2014, 05:03 PM
Good gawd I can't wait for recruiting to be done. Only MSU fans freak out over the non-rated Alabama linemen whose only in-state offer is from ALABAMA STATE. Who gives a flying **** if he chose Kentucky over us. Sounds like he did us a favor. Now we have 2 YEARS to find a better replacement than the Alabama State chosen one. Let's save our meltdowns for the players that will actually see the field. We probably have 5 walk-on OL better than this guy today.

BogeyGolfer
01-30-2014, 05:17 PM
Good gawd I can't wait for recruiting to be done. Only MSU fans freak out over the non-rated Alabama linemen whose only in-state offer is from ALABAMA STATE. Who gives a flying **** if he chose Kentucky over us. Sounds like he did us a favor. Now we have 2 YEARS to find a better replacement than the Alabama State chosen one. Let's save our meltdowns for the players that will actually see the field. We probably have 5 walk-on OL better than this guy today.
I laughed at this... Well done, sir!

hailmari
01-30-2014, 05:20 PM
It still won't help in results. You won't see them win the east and they will still be bottom of the barrel in the SEC. Their ceiling is 6-6. They are not a winning program. They literally would need a Saban or a Spurrier just to make it to our level. Their fans and that area don't give a shit about football. They can cheat all they want.

Apparently not, because they came close to beating us just a few months ago.

maroonmania
01-30-2014, 05:29 PM
Don't see a Texas Tech offer on 247 but they may have. He took two OV to us and Pitt. They were both 3 stars with a difference of 2 points in the ratings 85 for Johnson and 83 for Siddoway (composite). I think they may end up being about the same or Johnson might end up a little better. But thats just me and what Im looking at. But who knows really until he starts playing. There wasn't too many very high on Siddoway when we signed him.

The TT offer is on both scout and rivals. I am surprised though that Johnson is rated equal or better than Siddoway on most sites given his limited offer list. Maybe it was because he committed to us so early.

bully99
01-30-2014, 05:41 PM
Coach, if Kentucky is going all in like ole miss in recruiting, then where is Mullen. Is he not all in.

NCDawg
01-30-2014, 05:43 PM
Apparently not, because they came close to beating us just a few months ago.

Saved by Market's shoe string tackle.

Op4isabitch
01-30-2014, 05:45 PM
Kentucky is going all in....they just had Matt Elam pick them over Bama.....something doesn't pass the smell test in Lexington and Oxford.

Really Clark?
01-30-2014, 05:48 PM
The TT offer is on both scout and rivals. I am surprised though that Johnson is rated equal or better than Siddoway on most sites given his limited offer list. Maybe it was because he committed to us so early.

Yeah that does happen sometimes when a player is very solid with a team and I think he was pretty much settled playing in state.

On offers, sometimes the sites are listing verbal offers but they may not be committable. When you can, look at the visits from coaches to the player and the player to the school to see if the offers are genuine.

Coach34
01-30-2014, 06:22 PM
Well, according to Sevendust we were still in it until a secret Bear showed Stallings Dad a post from Sixpack talking about a package for Stallings. I know it had to be the one from Sixpack that was reported there 2 hours before I said anything over here- because there is no way Seven would just try and single out Elitedawgs and misrepresent the situation just to create some drama.