PDA

View Full Version : What's Wes Rea's draft possibilities look like?

Goat Holder
01-29-2014, 06:13 PM
Everybody I talk to seems to write him off for 2015 although he's just a rising junior. Is he high on the draft boards? Does he have what scouts want? A guy like him coming back is the type of thing that could keep 2015 from being a rebuilding year. But, I also want him to get a shot at the pros, he's been a good bulldog.

smootness
01-29-2014, 06:31 PM
I'm not sure 2015 is going to be a rebuilding year no matter what Rea does. Obviously he would help, but a lineup of guys like Humphreys, Garner, Collins, Britton, Robson, Vickerson, Swinarski, etc. and a pitching staff that will be more inexperienced but still loaded with talent can still win a whole lot of games.

Coach34
01-29-2014, 06:36 PM
We're thru rebuilding in baseball. A down year now will just be a Regional appearance

Goat Holder
01-29-2014, 06:43 PM
OK.....now what about Wes Rea?

bully99
01-29-2014, 06:52 PM
He needs more plate discipline, but Renfroe didn't have much and he was a first rounder. Wes is not a 5 tool guy though.

MsStateBaseball
01-29-2014, 06:58 PM
I think he's gone wherever they draft him. He has been here 4 years and he is wanting to make money hunt fish and play baseball.

Goat Holder
01-29-2014, 07:00 PM
Yeah, I'm thinking he needs to hit in the .340 range to leave after this year. He's a heck of a defender, so he's got that going. Wouldn't mind about 10-12 bombs either.

justwin
01-29-2014, 07:06 PM
Hitting is his ticket. He's on a better pace than hunter thru 2 years. Specifically, he needs to show power to the tune of 15+ HRS this year. 5 as a fr & 7 as a soph. I'm thinking .355 & 15 HRs guarantees top 5-6 rounds. Katz hit .370 / 16 and went in the 4th as a hitter.

Supposedly, the shoulder is better to free up his swing. He also needs to drop down from 270 lbs to 230ish I would think.

I look for him to be the face of the program this year. Seems like he knows it too which is also important in terms of embracing the leader role, but more importantly producing. We can't have him disappear like hunter did last year.

messageboardsuperhero
01-29-2014, 07:21 PM
Plate discipline is a big thing.

He also needs to prove that he can consistently hit for power- no team wants to draft a 270 pounder if he can't hit at least 10-12 HRs in a college season.

Lefthandersrule
01-29-2014, 07:36 PM
Wes is a great ballplayer who will get every look this year. He has the footwork of a shortstop and has a great arm (if you remember he was supposed to pitch for us) and hits for average and power. He just needs to stay healthy and put up the numbers he is capable of putting up.

Just remember Hunter had a breakout year last year and moved into the first round. Now I'm not saying Wes is going in the first round but who can tell? The sky is the limit for Wes if he puts it all together this season.

Bully13
01-29-2014, 08:02 PM
Did Wes improve on being able to hit the bender? The times I saw he looked pretty bad at it. what was his season ending BA and OBP?. and typically MLB is going to look for a few more dingers from a 1B....no? I say if he improves on hitting the curve ball and drives more out of the park, somebody's going to draft him. I think those 2 things will land him in the bigs playing 1st base because I've never seen a guy that size move around like he does and he's got a great glove to boot.

Todd4State
01-29-2014, 08:11 PM
Others have said what I would have said- but the biggest thing IMO is he needs to stay healthy and keep getting at bats. As lefthandersrule said, he was a pitcher primarily in high school, and then he got hurt. He has continued to have injuries which have limited his summer ball activity. Even last year, he missed most of the OOC schedule early on and that limited his power numbers. The more at bats he has, the better his pitch recognition will get.

Todd4State
01-29-2014, 08:19 PM
I'm not sure 2015 is going to be a rebuilding year no matter what Rea does. Obviously he would help, but a lineup of guys like Humphreys, Garner, Collins, Britton, Robson, Vickerson, Swinarski, etc. and a pitching staff that will be more inexperienced but still loaded with talent can still win a whole lot of games.

Well, let's see....

Fri- Hudson
Sat.- Young
Sun.- Sexton

If Fitts comes back, he's no doubt in the rotation. We also should get Ross back, which will help the bullpen out, along with Will Cox and Gentry. Some of the current newcomers will have to step up next year and fill in roles. We'll probably have to replace Holder, although I wouldn't be shocked if he returns.

C- Walker, Randolph, Garner, hopefully Vallot and Collins. Looks good here.
1B- Probably Cole Gordon, maybe Rooker or Dylan Ingram or Garner.
2B- Probably Hann, maybe Heck, maybe Burdick
3B- Probably Humphries
SS- Britton if he comes back, maybe Heck or Hann.
LF- Probably Vickerson
CF- Robson
RF- Probably Swinarski, maybe Collins
DH-Vallot, Garner, Collins, or whomever.

Really to me the key will be whether or not we lose Fitts, Holder, and Will Cox. Even without them, we should be really good.

smootness
01-29-2014, 09:06 PM
Well, let's see....

Fri- Hudson
Sat.- Young
Sun.- Sexton

If Fitts comes back, he's no doubt in the rotation. We also should get Ross back, which will help the bullpen out, along with Will Cox and Gentry. Some of the current newcomers will have to step up next year and fill in roles. We'll probably have to replace Holder, although I wouldn't be shocked if he returns.

3B- Probably Humphries
LF- Probably Vickerson
CF- Robson

Really to me the key will be whether or not we lose Fitts, Holder, and Will Cox. Even without them, we should be really good.

Yup, that team looks might fine to me.

If we actually are able to get Vallot, he will instantly change the look of our lineup. We would go from 'scrappy, tough to get out' to 'scary' pretty quickly, especially when combined with guys like Humphreys, Garner, Collins, Swinarski...

Goat Holder
01-29-2014, 09:14 PM
I don't see Fitts and Cox getting drafted this year. Just can't see it yet. And you don't mention Preston Brown, he's been doing well.

Gavin Collins will be the starting catcher for us this year IMO. He and Walker are above Garner and Randolph. If Vallot comes in and beats out Collins next year, so be it, maybe Collins is playing in the OF or 1B. But I think he's going to be a 2.5 year starter. I say a half because we will goat and around and play the others. Scott Delo-er, I mean Zack Randolph will probably be the opening day starter knowing Cohen.

Still an awful lot of youth out there in 2015. What I think the others don't realize is that by rebuilding, I too mean just making someone else's regional. I do not think we are going to suck.

Todd4State
01-29-2014, 09:38 PM
Yup, that team looks might fine to me.

If we actually are able to get Vallot, he will instantly change the look of our lineup. We would go from 'scrappy, tough to get out' to 'scary' pretty quickly, especially when combined with guys like Humphreys, Garner, Collins, Swinarski...

Oh- we'll still be scrappy. But like you said, we'll be scary too. LSU is not going to like us- or Florida, or Ole Miss.

Maroons
01-29-2014, 09:44 PM
He also needs to drop down from 270 lbs to 230ish I would think.

That's just ridiculous. Seriously, you think he should lose 40 lbs.???

Todd4State
01-29-2014, 09:46 PM
I don't see Fitts and Cox getting drafted this year. Just can't see it yet. And you don't mention Preston Brown, he's been doing well.

Gavin Collins will be the starting catcher for us this year IMO. He and Walker are above Garner and Randolph. If Vallot comes in and beats out Collins next year, so be it, maybe Collins is playing in the OF or 1B. But I think he's going to be a 2.5 year starter. I say a half because we will goat and around and play the others. Scott Delo-er, I mean Zack Randolph will probably be the opening day starter knowing Cohen.

Still an awful lot of youth out there in 2015. What I think the others don't realize is that by rebuilding, I too mean just making someone else's regional. I do not think we are going to suck.

Cox pitched in the Cape Cod League some last year- that tells me that scouts think he is probably a draft prospect. Fitts has a very good chance of being drafted as well. The Red Sox were going to draft him out of high school but he told them he was going to college. Now, they won't be top 10 rounds likely- it just all depends on how they perform. Preston Brown should be a solid bullpen guy for us.

Collins certainly might be our catcher this year. That spot is the most wide open right now- but Collins has the highest ceiling of any of our catchers on the team. He's too good of a player to not find a spot for him in the line up. He probably would have been drafted if he wasn't hurt as a senior in high school.

HancockCountyDog
01-29-2014, 09:49 PM
Well, let's see....

Fri- Hudson
Sat.- Young
Sun.- Sexton

3B- Probably Humphries
LF- Probably Vickerson
CF- Robson

Holder won't be back, nor should he. He has earned the right to get drafted. Probably between 3rd and 5th.

Todd4State
01-29-2014, 09:55 PM
Holder won't be back, nor should he. He has earned the right to get drafted. Probably between 3rd and 5th.

I agree- that's where I've seen him projected at also. But I have also seen some closers in college come back and try to get into the first round.