PDA

View Full Version : ESPN drops Newman to #2

bully99
01-29-2014, 02:44 PM
Not that it makes any difference, but Malik Newman is second behind Ivan Rabb out of Oakland in the 2015 class.

msstate7
01-29-2014, 02:46 PM
Pull the offer ASAP***

Dawghouse
01-29-2014, 02:49 PM
I gave up on him a few years ago. Have we gotten back in the running for landing him? Anyone willing to give an estimate on our chances?

TexasDawg
01-29-2014, 02:54 PM
If Ray can continue to improve and show Newman that if he were to come here we would be a legitimate NCAA tourney team then we have a shot, if he feels like he would be the only weapon then he's off to Lexington

Coach34
01-29-2014, 02:57 PM
He's about 98% Wildcat. Only reason we are at 2% is because Ray has been working his ass off with him

bully99
01-29-2014, 02:59 PM
Just like so many thought we had a chance at Humphrey

C222
01-29-2014, 03:04 PM
I gave up on him a few years ago. Have we gotten back in the running for landing him? Anyone willing to give an estimate on our chances?

You gave up on his when he was in the 8th grade?

TexasDawg
01-29-2014, 03:05 PM

There is a chance here, but I think every rational fan would agree its most likely Kentucky

maroonmania
01-29-2014, 03:14 PM
He's about 98% Wildcat. Only reason we are at 2% is because Ray has been working his ass off with him

Will be interesting with Kentucky. Didn't even make the NCAAs last year and I don't see them making any sort of deep run this year. This one and done stuff is getting sort of hit and miss up there.

Dawghouse
01-29-2014, 03:14 PM
Yes, back when there was no way he was coming here. Maybe it was because they didn't like Stansbury or something but I recall everyone saying he wasn't coming here. Guess things have changed by 2%.

bully99
01-29-2014, 03:19 PM
Pops sees son as his gravy train.So poppa will be calling the shots.

Goat from MSU
01-29-2014, 03:21 PM
Paul Jones has it at 50/50 .His track record is just a little better than yours.This is a got to have for Ray or people will be all over his ass.Before you start I think he is doing a great coaching job.

Raytoraid83
01-29-2014, 03:29 PM

Don't leave out LSU

engie
01-29-2014, 03:33 PM

Being a Bama legacy from Hoover is a little different than being an MSU legacy from Jackson...

smootness
01-29-2014, 03:34 PM

This one is quite a bit different, obviously.

We definitely have a shot here, and it's more than 2%. There is some general optimism surrounding our chances with people who have some inside sources. Obviously if I had to put chances on it, I'd still say we don't get him but we're certainly in the game and have more time to work on him. As someone else said, the more UK struggles, the tougher I think it will be for his dad to sign off on that.

I think Newman is the kind of kid who is more built for college than the NBA, but he's obviously one-and-done. But from what I've seen, I'd let Ray develop him for a year before I would Calipari.

Raytoraid83
01-29-2014, 03:37 PM
But from what I've seen, I'd let Ray develop him for a year before I would Calipari.

HAHHAHAAHAH Calipari is the only coach in the country to have a number 1 and 2 pick in the same draft. Gonna have to use a different argument than that.

maroonmania
01-29-2014, 03:39 PM
Paul Jones has it at 50/50 .His track record is just a little better than yours.This is a got to have for Ray or people will be all over his ass.Before you start I think he is doing a great coaching job.

I'd be surprised if our odds are actually 50/50 but I bet they are a LOT better than 2%.

msstate7
01-29-2014, 03:40 PM
HAHHAHAAHAH Calipari is the only coach in the country to have a number 1 and 2 pick in the same draft. Gonna have to use a different argument than that.

Not saying ray can develop better than calipari, but kentucky's lottery picks would've been lottery picks straight outta hs

bully99
01-29-2014, 03:41 PM
He's a really good player. Not convinced he's the first or second best player in the country.

Like MSU has had great success getting legacy players to come here.

defiantdog
01-29-2014, 03:43 PM
Maybe if we start a "Sherill Bank" and put alumni and boosters on the board..... that should help with getting big time recruits****

smootness
01-29-2014, 03:43 PM
He's a really good player. Not convinced he's the first or second best player in the country.

Everyone else seems to be. His only knock is that he's a 6'3" scorer, but everything I've read said he is the best scorer in the class, period.

smootness
01-29-2014, 03:58 PM

Obviously, but the question is how much is Calipari developing them, and it's not an easy question to answer. Davis was the #1 pick from the day he set foot at Kentucky...he didn't need any development for that. Same with MKG. That was an incredibly special class. They were generally considered to be the top 2 players in the country coming out.

His more recent history isn't quite as positive. He took the #1 player in the country last year and turned him into the #6 pick (granted, he was injured, but the NBA also drafts mostly on potential and I'm not sure he would have been #1 healthy). He also took the #14 player last year and turned him into the #29 pick, and he's so ready for the NBA that he is being bumped down to the D-League.

The other 2 players from that class didn't leave early (Cauley wasn't really thought of as a one-and-done necessarily, but Poythress certainly was). Poythress was the #7 player in the country and is now averaging less than 7 ppg in his 2nd year in college and is clearly being passed over by newer guys on that team. Cauley is averaging a little under 8/7 per game. A pretty good college player who plays good defense, seemingly nothing more.

He has taken the #2 player in the country from this year's class, and while Randle has been very good, his draft stock has still slid, and he's now looking at probably being taken outside the top 5 as others have improved more than he has.

James Young has been good, though inconsistent. And the draft stock of the Harrison twins has gone in the crapper.

All I'm saying is that I like the improvement I've seen from the guys under Ray. Calipari usually doesn't have guys stick around for an extra year for us to see as much in terms of the growth he can achieve in someone's game, but using the argument that he's had top draft picks is not really a good argument.

If you're someone who doesn't want to think about things and just says, 'Coach X has had players drafted, so clearly he can develop me more,' then fine. But I get the feeling Horatio Webster isn't that naive.

Coach34
01-29-2014, 04:09 PM
Paul Jones has it at 50/50 .His track record is just a little better than yours.

not by much if at all

Coach34
01-29-2014, 04:10 PM
This is a got to have for Ray or people will be all over his ass.

Not any rational fanor one that isnt agenda-driven. Every rational fan knows this has always been a longshot at best

Coach34
01-29-2014, 04:12 PM
We definitely have a shot here, and it's more than 2%. There is some general optimism surrounding our chances with people who have some inside sources.

My optimistic 2% comes from someone that talks to the Big Train at least twice a week

Goat from MSU
01-29-2014, 04:18 PM
We have a lot who are not rational,that is why he needs to get a win at home with one of the big 2 this year.
Not any rational fanor one that isnt agenda-driven. Every rational fan knows this has always been a longshot at best

Goat from MSU
01-29-2014, 04:20 PM
Beg to differ, I remember you from Sixpack and the coaching search in Basketball.
not by much if at all

Coach34
01-29-2014, 04:27 PM
Beg to differ, I remember you from Sixpack and the coaching search in Basketball.

How about this? http://www.elitedawgs.com/showthread.php?9602-Things-I-d-like-to-see-for-next-year&highlight=Koenning

1. Special Teams coach hired

2. Either fire Koenning or move him to an admin job

3. Mullen is going to run the offense- that's given. So instead of replacing Les with an OC- hire a young QB coach that is a recruiting, social media machine.

4. Make Gonzales the Passing Game Coordinator or some shit to get him a payraise- and let him help Mullen with gameplanning.

5. Take that extra 100K from getting rid of an OC and give it to Collins. Get his pay to 500K or so. That's a good salary living in Starkville, Ms.

I'll bet ya Stansbury's Lake Paul hadnt said anything like that by 11/29/13

Coach34
01-29-2014, 04:31 PM
We have a lot who are not rational,that is why he needs to get a win at home with one of the big 2 this year.

Fortunately, our administration is. He doesnt "need" to do anything but finish with a winning record

Goat from MSU
01-29-2014, 04:36 PM
Ok Who is Ron Greene ?
How about this? http://www.elitedawgs.com/showthread.php?9602-Things-I-d-like-to-see-for-next-year&highlight=Koenning

1. Special Teams coach hired

2. Either fire Koenning or move him to an admin job

3. Mullen is going to run the offense- that's given. So instead of replacing Les with an OC- hire a young QB coach that is a recruiting, social media machine.

4. Make Gonzales the Passing Game Coordinator or some shit to get him a payraise- and let him help Mullen with gameplanning.

5. Take that extra 100K from getting rid of an OC and give it to Collins. Get his pay to 500K or so. That's a good salary living in Starkville, Ms.

I'll bet ya Stansbury's Lake Paul hadnt said anything like that by 11/29/13

Goat from MSU
01-29-2014, 04:39 PM
Are you sure ,the crowd that bitch about Stansbury can turn on Ray too.
Fortunately, our administration is. He doesnt "need" to do anything but finish with a winning record

Coach34
01-29-2014, 04:39 PM
Former State coach- so what?

Goat from MSU
01-29-2014, 04:46 PM
Former State coach- so what?Glad you now know who he is, 2 years ago you did not know him when you and I had a go a round on sixpack . Well Done ,by the way If Tyler had not run him off Basketball would have been better during the 80's.

Coach34
01-29-2014, 04:54 PM
Glad you now know who he is, 2 years ago you did not know him when you and I had a go a round on sixpack . Well Done ,by the way If Tyler had not run him off Basketball would have been better during the 80's.

Look, I respect you older guys like CoastDogGeezer and yourself, but this agenda shit needs to go to the backseat for awhile.

1. Ray is getting 4 years to show he is the man for the job.
2. Next year the expectations raise some as they will year 4
3. Anybody with sense thinks the guy is doing a great job right now-especially with the dumpster fire he was left.

If we're not an NIT team next season at a minimum, feel free to jump his ass- I'll be joining you.

Schultzy
01-29-2014, 05:16 PM
Glad you now know who he is, 2 years ago you did not know him when you and I had a go a round on sixpack . Well Done ,by the way If Tyler had not run him off Basketball would have been better during the 80's.

Tyler didn't run him off. He left on his own after coming in third place in the SEC and getting left out of the NCAA's even though it was a 32 team tournament at the time.

Goat from MSU
01-29-2014, 05:36 PM
I am 55 that is not old ,if you look at 2:21 thread ,I said Ray is doing a good coaching job .Agenda[I do not have one .I just like good basketball ,it did not happen Stansbury last 2 years except when we played Vandy in Nashville.But people will get on his ass if he does not get Newman plain and simple.QUOTE=Coach34;125384]Look, I respect you older guys like CoastDogGeezer and yourself, but this agenda shit needs to go to the backseat for awhile.

1. Ray is getting 4 years to show he is the man for the job.
2. Next year the expectations raise some as they will year 4
3. Anybody with sense thinks the guy is doing a great job right now-especially with the dumpster fire he was left.

If we're not an NIT team next season at a minimum, feel free to jump his ass- I'll be joining you.[/QUOTE]

Goat from MSU
01-29-2014, 05:38 PM
Tyler gave him just a small raise ,that made him mad for heavens sake we lost him to Murray State and he took Gary Hooker with him . I believe we finish 2nd that year.
Tyler didn't run him off. He left on his own after coming in third place in the SEC and getting left out of the NCAA's even though it was a 32 team tournament at the time.

whosyourdawgy
01-29-2014, 06:30 PM
Damn bully99 you are an optimist aren't you. If that kid from CA is better than Malik, he's got to be a helluva player. He is that good and I hope he gives is a shot. With him coming in w everyone else being juniors, we would be a very good team in my opinion

Schultzy
01-29-2014, 07:17 PM
Damn bully99 you are an optimist aren't you. If that kid from CA is better than Malik, he's got to be a helluva player. He is that good and I hope he gives is a shot. With him coming in w everyone else being juniors, we would be a very good team in my opinion

Stupid move by Greene and he admitted it later in a Rick Cleveland article. He also took Rodney Hood's dad, Ricky Hood, with him to Murray.

ETA: That team could've made a final four run if they'd have gotten a bid.

sorry, meant to reply to Goat from MSU

bully99
01-29-2014, 07:32 PM
Greene was sec coach of the year and then we got the wonderful Jim Hatfield. Greene always said leaving state after one year was his biggest mistake. But he went home, so can't blame him.