PDA

View Full Version : Can we realistically beat LSU next year?

justwin
01-28-2014, 04:38 PM
Seriously, what will it take? Could change everything for the better going forward....

Me thinks JRob, Dak, & Shump should be on the field every offensive play as a starting point. Do we have anyone other than Dak that can find the endzone against them?

BeardoMSU
01-28-2014, 05:14 PM
Well, our secondary not giving up 20 of 24 (something like that, yes?) passes should help.

msstate7
01-28-2014, 05:16 PM
It will take our front 7 shutting down their running game. If we handle their running game without the extra man (men), then we have a really good shot at beating them

FlabLoser
01-28-2014, 05:42 PM
We could have realistically beaten LSU almost every year Mullen has been here.

Goat Holder
01-28-2014, 05:50 PM
Only way we were beating them in 2010 was with Cam Newton. They dominated us.

Can't really say we could have realistically beaten them the past two years either, those games were essentially blowouts. In 2011 we never really got within striking distance.

So, basically, we could have realistically beaten them in 2009. That's it. The only team who has dominated us more during the Mullen Era is Alabama.

HoopsDawg
01-28-2014, 06:42 PM
I doubt there has ever been a program to lose so many underclassmen 2 years in a row. LSU is going to be a solid team, but definitely beatable.

The key to beating LSU and the key to our entire 2014 season is going to come down to 2 players. Justin Malone and Jamal Clayborn. How hard will these 2 work in the offseason and how good will they perform on the O-line. If they can be really good, we will be really good. No pressure Jamal and Justin....

msstate7
01-28-2014, 06:45 PM
I doubt there has ever been a program to lose so many underclassmen 2 years in a row. LSU is going to be a solid team, but definitely beatable.

The key to beating LSU and the key to our entire 2014 season is going to come down to 2 players. Justin Malone and Jamal Clayborn. How hard will these 2 work in the offseason and how good will they perform on the O-line. If they can be really good, we will be really good. No pressure Jamal and Justin....

I don't agree with you often, but I do here

Radddawg
01-28-2014, 06:59 PM
the key to our entire 2014 season is going to come down to 2 players. Justin Malone and Jamal Clayborn.

I'm so glad you're wrong cause if you were right our 4 year bowl streak would probably come to a crashing halt.

SDDawg
01-28-2014, 07:02 PM
Of course.

HoopsDawg
01-28-2014, 07:03 PM
I'm so glad you're wrong cause if you were right our 4 year bowl streak would probably come to a crashing halt.

What are you talking about?

Goat Holder
01-28-2014, 07:11 PM
What's he wrong about? They may not be the MOST important ones, but they are damn important. If you don't have an OL, you don't have shit.

Bothrops
01-28-2014, 07:12 PM
LSU always plays up to us..like Bama up. I don't know why but they do. Maybe it's because they can't stand the thought of losing to us, since it could wreck their season. One thing I do know, of all the fanbases in the SEC, LSU respects us the least. I hate them

Radddawg
01-28-2014, 07:14 PM
So the key to us being successful in 2014 is riding on the shoulders of a RS freshman OL and a RS sophomore OL that both played private school football in the Metro Jackson area ?!? If that's true then we are screwed.

msstate7
01-28-2014, 07:15 PM
LSU always plays up to us..like Bama up. I don't know why but they do. Maybe it's because they can't stand the thought of losing to us, since it could wreck their season. One thing I do know, of all the fanbases in the SEC, LSU respects us the least. I hate them

Since they hate us so much and it means more to them, we're their real rival***

Coach34
01-28-2014, 07:16 PM
We were in the game with LSU in 2010 until Relf got hurt. Russell finished off the drive and got us in the end zone to make it a close game, but he was overwhelmed after that. 2011 was a 1 score game entering the 4th Q or so- so yes, there was a chance there too.

But both those games we couldn't get over any hump because of our lack of a QB.

We will have to play well defensively obviously, as we will in all big games- but Dakota and crew have to get in the end zone and limit turnovers. That will be the key to finally sleighing the dragon

engie
01-28-2014, 07:17 PM
So the key to us being successful in 2014 is riding on the shoulders of a RS freshman OL and a RS sophomore OL that both played private school football in the Metro Jackson area ?!? If that's true then we are screwed.

What in the hell are you talking about?

Bothrops
01-28-2014, 07:20 PM
Since they hate us so much and it means more to them, we're their real rival***

Hey, you're on to something.

Coach34
01-28-2014, 07:38 PM

Yet both are likely to play in the NFL...Alabama had a lineman start the last 3 years from a Mississippi private school btw

HoopsDawg
01-28-2014, 07:45 PM

Man, you know your stuff, except Clayborn didn't redshirt and will be a sophomore. Malone will be a RS Junior.

Goat Holder
01-28-2014, 07:49 PM
No nimrod the key to us being successful in 2014 is our OL, of which they are a part.

And you're just a blithering idiot with that private school hate. Been proven time and time again that there's plenty of talent in the MPSA ranks, or whatever they call it now. It's a shame so much of it gets squandered but coaches used to think just like you.

Radddawg
01-28-2014, 08:06 PM
I hope you are right. I was definitely a year off with both guys when I said RS frosh and RS soph.

dawgclub99
01-28-2014, 08:10 PM
I will also say like some of you that the running game will be key. Their young QB is not that good so they will be counting on that to win a lot of games. We stop that and we win.

Political Hack
01-28-2014, 08:12 PM
no, but if we win next year I'll say it's possible the following the following year.

Radddawg
01-28-2014, 08:22 PM
In your opinion, How do we line up next season across the front for the LSU game ?

J. Johnson : Malone : Day : Muniz : Clausell : Hutcherson (TE)

Clayborn could start over Muniz imho.

HoopsDawg
01-28-2014, 08:25 PM
In your opinion, How do we line up next season across the front for the LSU game ?

J. Johnson : Malone : Day : Muniz : Clausell : Hutcherson (TE)

Clayborn could start over Muniz imho.

Did you watch us play or follow the team this past year? Clayborn got some significant minutes this year.

LT: Clausell 6'7, 310
LG: Clayborn 6'4, 320
C: Day 6'4, 300
RG: Beckwith 6'3, 305
RT: Malone 6'7, 320

Radddawg
01-28-2014, 08:29 PM
I really like Johnson's film. I guess Clausell does have LT locked down. Maybe the light comes on for Damien Robinson next season and he finds a home at RG. I worry about Beckwith there. That's why I plugged in Muniz.

Coach34
01-28-2014, 08:30 PM
Did you watch us play or follow the team this past year? Clayborn got some significant minutes this year.

LT: Clausell
LG: Clayborn
C: Day
RG: Beckwith
RT: Malone

Beckwith may be retiring- still up in the air.

Most likely, it's going to be:

RT- Malone/Warren/Thomas
RG- Johnson/Flowers
C- Day/Desper
LG- Clayborn/????
LT- Clausell/Senior

Potential to be a damn good OL

HoopsDawg
01-28-2014, 08:33 PM
I really like Johnson's film. I guess Clausell does have LT locked down. Maybe the light comes on for Damien Robinson next season and he finds a home at RG. I worry about Beckwith there. That's why I plugged in Muniz.

If Joc Johnson looks good in the spring at RT, then Malone can move back to RG. This would allow Beckwith to backup C and both guard positions. D-Rob will be a 5th year senior so... As for Muniz, I'm not sure he will still be on the team. Cole Carter and Jake Thomas will get a chance to be 2nd stringers.

HoopsDawg
01-28-2014, 08:35 PM
Beckwith may be retiring- still up in the air.

Most likely, it's going to be:

RT- Malone/Warren/Thomas
RG- Johnson/Flowers
C- Day/Desper
LG- Clayborn/????
LT- Clausell/Senior

Potential to be a damn good OL

The last time the coaches met with Joc Johnson, they wanted him to be our starting RT. Where did you hear he was moving to guard?

Coach34
01-28-2014, 08:36 PM
Johnson is starting the Spring at guard. Hev likes to start linemen there- its easier for them to get used to the offense

Coach34
01-28-2014, 08:40 PM
Where did you hear he was moving to guard?

Hev is gonna put Johnson at guard to begin Spring. Same with Malone at RT. Gonna see what it looks like and it's easier to learn the O at guard. There will be some shuffling around and trying people at different spots- that is what Spring is for

Political Hack
01-28-2014, 08:53 PM
I think Malone to RT is an effort to give the OG spot to Beckwith to keep him around. That could get our best five on the field.

Radddawg
01-28-2014, 09:04 PM
So first snap of spring ball you expect us to line up:

Clausell : Johnson : Day : Clayborn : Malone

That's a solid starting 5, and then you think about having guys like Robinson, Beckwith , Senior , Flowers, Muniz and Desper waiting in the wings. I wish we could land one more solid JUCO OL before NSD but I say that just about every year.

MarketingBully01
01-28-2014, 09:15 PM
I agree with you Coach. We have a very good chance to have a great OL. It also doesn't hurt that we have the best QB in our history leading this team.

Do we have a shot at beating LSU? Absolutely. No Met no big time WR no Jeremy Hill...so you will have a bunch of newbies starting and we get them the 4th game in. Sure, they have reloaded but we have just as good a chance as any year of beating them there this year as we have had in a long time. If we played that team in Starkville in 2014, we possibly would have been favored.

I don't think some of you guys realize (Engie and Coach do) how good the ceiling is for next year. We have a possible chance at a BCS bowl especially if we can beat LSU next year. The schedule works out very well for us on top of who we are returning and what others in the SEC have returning as well.

Coach34
01-28-2014, 09:26 PM
If Beckwith stays that is great because it gives us 10 guys we can play, plus Robinson. It will be the 1st time under Mullen we will have a competent 2nd OL

blacklistedbully
01-28-2014, 09:49 PM
Dammit, why shouldn't we EXPECT to win this year? We've damn near beat them twice in Mullen's tenure, once at their place in a night game. We've got way more starts returning, and should be improved on both sides of the ball, while LSU is taking a huge hit. Yes, they'll have terrific athletes, but not nearly as much experience as we'll have.

IMO, we shouldn't be asking if we could beat them, rather we should be pissed if we don't this year.

HoopsDawg
01-28-2014, 10:02 PM
If Beckwith stays that is great because it gives us 10 guys we can play, plus Robinson. It will be the 1st time under Mullen we will have a competent 2nd OL

Ten guys? I just don't see that.

Coach34
01-28-2014, 10:17 PM
Ten guys? I just don't see that.

Clausell....Clayborn...Day...Beckwith....Malone

Senior....Flowers....Desper...Johnson...Thomas/Warren/Robinson

Todd4State
01-28-2014, 10:43 PM
I really hope Beckwith comes back because he was a pretty solid player for us and he has a lot of SEC experience.

But as far as beating LSU, I think the two keys are limiting turnovers and special teams play. Every time we play them, we have a lot of trunovers it seems like. And it seems like every single time it results in a LSU touchdown and then it turns into a blowout. If we can win the field position battle, that will help us out a lot too.

Beating them has always been realistic, but it seems like we play our absolute worst against them and they play their absolute best against us. Maybe Dak and Josh being from Louisiana will cause us to have an even sharper focus than usual when we play them.

justwin
01-29-2014, 09:02 AM
I think this correct. Who will be lsu rb & fb in 2014?

It will take our front 7 shutting down their running game. If we handle their running game without the extra man (men), then we have a really good shot at beating them

HoopsDawg
01-29-2014, 09:43 AM
Fournette and Hilliard.

Coach34
01-29-2014, 09:50 AM
LSU will be damn good at RB aGAIN as usual. It's whether or not the WR's can be a big factor what will tell the tale

dogshiek
01-29-2014, 11:31 AM
We were in the game this year until we missed yet another field goal. It seemed to demoralize our offense and defense. The kicking game lost at least 2 games last year. Damn near lost the egg! I feel good about the offense and defense. I don't see any hope in the kicking game.

Radddawg
01-29-2014, 11:40 AM
We were in the game this year until we missed yet another field goal.

I was at the game and the reason we lost was our depth and inexperience. It was a hard fought, highly competitive game until LSU scored 3 TDs in a matter of minutes to start the 4th quarter. Our youth kinda showed through there but hopefully with another year under their belts our players will be up to the challenge of finding a way to finish a game like that.

DawgInMemphis
01-29-2014, 11:45 AM
LSU will be damn good at RB aGAIN as usual. It's whether or not the WR's can be a big factor what will tell the tale

And their QB situation. He didn't wow me at all in their bowl game. I know he'll get a ton of reps between now and the fall, but losing Mett and those WR's are big holes to fill.

MarketingBully01
01-29-2014, 01:49 PM
We shut every one of their RB's down except for Hill. He was the difference maker. The other RBs didn't wow me like Hill did. Fournette might be good but he still will be a freshman. Knowing the mad hatter he won't even start him.

EAVdog
01-29-2014, 01:54 PM
There isn't a game on our schedule next year that isn't 'winnable'. Won't mean we win them all by any means but with depth, and overall attrition of other SEC programs State (and Ole Miss for that matter) could be in for great years.

I think our chances are better than theirs because we have more OL's coming back, know how to actually run the ball forward instead of just side to side, and Bo's Arm is going to be an issue. Sure he may build back some strength but he's going to get hit since he's the primary up the middle runner in their scheme.

msstate7
01-29-2014, 02:18 PM
We shut every one of their RB's down except for Hill. He was the difference maker. The other RBs didn't wow me like Hill did. Fournette might be good but he still will be a freshman. Knowing the mad hatter he won't even start him.

Hard to stop hill esp if you're a woman**

1bigdawg
01-29-2014, 02:30 PM
So what is the deal with Cole Carter? He is not on anyone's two deep.