PDA

View Full Version : Be Careful On The Roads

defiantdog
01-28-2014, 03:58 PM
Hope everyone is being careful on the roads today. I had to abandon my car leaving work today in Birmingham. It's really bad here, and there are people walking on the interstates like the Walking Dead. And it's supposed to be below freezing through Thursday.

By the way, it took me over two hours to walk home but I needed the exercise

TheRef
01-28-2014, 03:59 PM
Hope everyone is being careful on the roads today. I had to abandon my car leaving work today in Birmingham. It's really bad here, and there are people walking on the interstates like the Walking Dead. And it's supposed to be below freezing through Thursday.

Many roads are closed around the Southern part of both MS and AL. Needless to say, this is dangerous. Many bridges are accumulating dangerous amounts of ice. So try to avoid getting on the roads as much as possible.

AlaDawg
01-28-2014, 04:13 PM
My brother lives behind The Summit in Birmingham. He had to park and walk almost a mile to his place due to snow and roads being closed. Now all the cars are left on the streets from people that had to park and walk and it's becoming a huge pile of wrecked cars as they slide into each other. Crazy mess. Everyone be safe out there!

starkvegasdawg
01-28-2014, 04:19 PM
I saw a snowflake at work today between Starkville and Columbus.

My question for this part of the state is that the forecast high today was 29. Low tonight 11. The last I saw it was just 21. I doubt we climb another 8 degrees this late in the day. Makes me wonder that after the clouds clear tonight will be drop below that forecast of 11. I know the wind will still be blowing so it won't be perfect radiational cooling but they were saying it would go from 29 to 11 with the same breeze so are some mid single readings out of the question tonight?

Statecoachingblows**
01-28-2014, 04:42 PM
Wife and kids are on the road somewhere between Jackson and Hattiesburg probably going to wind up in a hotel. Don't know much about the area, and curious about an ok area if they were to have to get a room? Headed south. Any info would be appreciated

starkvegasdawg
01-28-2014, 04:58 PM
Wife and kids are on the road somewhere between Jackson and Hattiesburg probably going to wind up in a hotel. Don't know much about the area, and curious about an ok area if they were to have to get a room? Headed south. Any info would be appreciated

Been a lomng time since I have been in that part of the state but I would guess your best bets between those two cities is either Florence of Mendenhall.

Goat Holder
01-28-2014, 05:14 PM
This shit is f*cked up! It has the potential to be very chaotic tonight. I'm spending the night at the office tonight, at least I'm warm. I have a 5 mile walk home, but I'm not chancing it.

pdawg10msu
01-28-2014, 05:19 PM
I got stuck on a hill 2 miles from my house. Me, my wife and our 13 month made the fun walk home. Gosh I hate snow.

Statecoachingblows**
01-28-2014, 05:26 PM
Stuck on highway between mendenhall and Magee

Drugdog
01-28-2014, 05:55 PM
Flights cancelled out of Jackson. If anyone can make it to Madison/Ridgeland the roads are clear. Plenty of Hotels.

Dallas_Dawg
01-28-2014, 05:55 PM
This shit is f*cked up! It has the potential to be very chaotic tonight. I'm spending the night at the office tonight, at least I'm warm. I have a 5 mile walk home, but I'm not chancing it.

That sounds ****ing awful. Everybody knows when a winter storm is coming you have to go stock up on food and booze and stay your ass at the house.

Goat Holder
01-28-2014, 06:08 PM
That's the problem, nobody thought it was going to be like this. Even the weather man has admitted he royally f*cked up.

But yes, in the end, responsibility lies with the person. But that's not going to clear out the massive pile-ups and empty cars on the road though.

dickiedawg
01-28-2014, 06:18 PM
My wife, mother in law and infant son are stuck in the lobby of the Wynfrey, apparently along with everyone else who was shopping in the Galleria. No rooms available, they're on a waiting list. Marty Huggins say "It's a Mess!"

Goat Holder
01-28-2014, 06:26 PM
Yep they are right by me and no, they aren't going anywhere for a long while. Saddle up.

Bully13
01-28-2014, 06:37 PM
Over reaction alert...Yall need to Man up....sleeping in the office...sheesh

Statecoachingblows**
01-28-2014, 07:54 PM
Want to send out a thanks to the random stranger that let my wife and kids sit in their truck until they got her car out of the middle of the road and led to her a hotel. Don't know who it was but you sir are a good man. Between Mendenhall and Magee. Don't know a name or anything but THANKS to you for your kindness.

woozman
01-28-2014, 08:34 PM

I'm at 2-day meetings in Mobile. A coworker got a call when we sat down for dinner in the hotel that his daughter had a wreck in Birmingham. He was on the phone with some of our guys in the area to go get her in one of our 4 wheel drive trucks. One of the guys he called said it took him 4-hours to go the 10-miles from the office to his house and said he couldn't get back out. My coworker's daughter will be staying at a Raceway (where she wrecked) up there tonight. We're engineers and our company does tons of ALDOT work so we have solid contacts. Apparently ALDOT sent most of their resources to Mobile and Montgomery expecting those areas to get hit the hardest. Unfortunately Birminham is getting the worst of it and a lot of their resources can't get back to assist.

Be safe...

notsofarawaydawg
01-28-2014, 08:39 PM
My wife, mother in law and infant son are stuck in the lobby of the Wynfrey, apparently along with everyone else who was shopping in the Galleria. No rooms available, they're on a waiting list. Marty Huggins say "It's a Mess!"

My brother is just off I-65 near Hwy 31. He's sleeping in his truck which he just filled up. He's in a 4-wheel drive truck and grew up in the country but not risking a drive with 2 inches of ice on the roads in that area.

HereComesTheSpiral
01-28-2014, 08:56 PM
This is why I have a pair of spare coveralls and a few carhart coats in the tool box of my truck. I will probably never need them, but you never know. Hope everyone is safe out there.