PDA

View Full Version : Ok, another MSU Fan Site recruiting expert claims .....

ScottH
01-28-2014, 10:08 AM
"Looks like we might see a rabbit of the hat soon"

Something to it?

or

Pure ratings ploy?

FlabLoser
01-28-2014, 10:12 AM
If he's one of the usual sensationalist guys...yawn.

Hopefully its Humphrey.

ShotgunDawg
01-28-2014, 10:14 AM
If he's one of the usual sensationalist guys...yawn.

Hopefully its Humphrey.

Rosebowl has alluded to a few things that makes me think it's Carter. It's either Carter or Hump for sure.

GumpDawg
01-28-2014, 10:14 AM
Probably trey carter. PJ has been pretty open about him to MSU so I guess the other guru just figured it out as well. Pure guess though.

AlSwearengen
01-28-2014, 10:19 AM
I will believe we get Humphrey, not when the ink dries on the LOI, but when he plays his first down for MSU.

If we do get him, amazing job by our staff.

On the other hand, the fact that Alabama has 5*'s running out of their asses (especially in the secondary), Saban doesn't like two sport athletes, and the fact that Saban could be getting ready to start catching heat hurts bama to some extent.

It has been a perfect storm for us to try and get someone in Humphrey's situation, but I will believe it when it happens.

smootness
01-28-2014, 10:26 AM
I think we've clearly been behind Bama and FSU the whole time for Humphrey. He has publicly stated more than once that those are his top 2 schools, and the fact that he came to State for only one day and had to squeeze us in, not on a normal visit schedule, tells me that going into the visits he still had us behind.

But we do seem to be doing a good job late with him. We just have to hope it is enough to convince him and that the one day he spent on campus was enough to wow him.

I still put the chances at about 2%. I don't think we should get our hopes up.

missouridawg
01-28-2014, 10:32 AM
Trey Carter would be great. If you follow him on twitter, you'd know that he fits the exact mold of what Dan wants. A no-nonsense, hard worker.

The other option could be the DL currently committed to Alabama that PJ alluded to yesterday. OJ something.

Pollodawg
01-28-2014, 10:35 AM
I thought there were rumors floating around that he would spend multiple days here.

TexasDawg
01-28-2014, 10:43 AM
I think Marlon's family wanted to get out of town before weather got too bad.

msstate7
01-28-2014, 10:43 AM
I thought there were rumors floating around that he would spend multiple days here.

Thought so too. 1 day visit? He's not coming here...

mjh94
01-28-2014, 10:45 AM
he was here from late Sunday afternoon until after dinner Monday evening.

HancockCountyDog
01-28-2014, 10:48 AM
he was here from late Sunday afternoon until after dinner Monday evening.

Uggh, that ain't good.

Most visits go from an afternoon of a Friday until SUNDAY afternoon. I think visits can be 48 hours. If he was here only about 30 hours, I can't imagine that is good news. damn it.

ETA because evidently i don't know my days of the week;

mic
01-28-2014, 10:48 AM

you cant spend more than 48 hours on an official visit

mic
01-28-2014, 10:50 AM
Uggh, that ain't good.

Most visits go from an afternoon of a Friday until Monday afternoon. I think visits can be 48 hours. If he was here only about 30 hours, I can't imagine that is good news. damn it.

got here sunday and left Monday evening.. really no need to stay Monday night with it just being a 2 hour drive home..

MainEventDawg
01-28-2014, 10:58 AM
Uggh, that ain't good.

Most visits go from an afternoon of a Friday until Monday afternoon. I think visits can be 48 hours. If he was here only about 30 hours, I can't imagine that is good news. damn it.

Friday to Monday is 72 hours. Kids don't normally stay on Mondays. But I don't understand why you guys are nitpicking the exact number of hours he was here. It was helluva job by the staff to even get him on campus. Regardless of what he decides to do, the fact that we were in his Top 3 could help us out with Hoover kids in the future.

HancockCountyDog
01-28-2014, 11:01 AM
Friday to Monday is 72 hours. Kids don't normally stay on Mondays. But I don't understand why you guys are nitpicking the exact number of hours he was here. It was helluva job by the staff to even get him on campus. Regardless of what he decides to do, the fact that we were in his Top 3 could help us out with Hoover kids in the future.

You are right, I meant to say Sunday afternoon.

deltadawg99
01-28-2014, 11:02 AM
Keep in mind it was a midweek visit. He had to miss school to be there on Monday, so he may have had to get back for school. He is also visiting UCLA this weekend so he'll have to miss Friday also.

TexasDawg
01-28-2014, 11:11 AM
Paul Jones is saying on 247 there may be a surprise commit coming. Saying it won't be like Fred Ross in the since that the majority of State fans didn't know we were making that hard of a push for him.

smootness
01-28-2014, 11:14 AM
Paul Jones is saying on 247 there may be a surprise commit coming. Saying it won't be like Fred Ross in the since that the majority of State fans didn't know we were making that hard of a push for him.

If it's not OJ Smith, then I have absolutely no idea who it would be. Obviously everyone knows about Carter, Griffin, Thomas, etc.

HancockCountyDog
01-28-2014, 11:17 AM

I could see OJ smith the Bama commit, there is some talk that Bama may be asking him to greyshirt because their class is filthy.

starkvegasdawg
01-28-2014, 11:20 AM

We're flipping Rawlings back.*** Mullen is playing the Bucky game.

TexasDawg
01-28-2014, 11:22 AM
I could see OJ smith the Bama commit, there is some talk that Bama may be asking him to greyshirt because their class is filthy.

That was my original thought, but Paul also said OJ is likely a grades issue

maroonmania
01-28-2014, 11:56 AM
I will believe we get Humphrey, not when the ink dries on the LOI, but when he plays his first down for MSU.

On the other hand, the fact that Alabama has 5*'s running out of their asses (especially in the secondary), Saban doesn't like two sport athletes, and the fact that Saban could be getting ready to start catching heat hurts bama to some extent.

It has been a perfect storm for us to try and get someone in Humphrey's situation, but I will believe it when it happens.

Its Trey Carter if its anyone which would be a nice pickup if we pull it off. Don't let yourself get sucked into false hope on Humphrey, we've been down this road with Alexander and other hotshot out of state 5 stars over the past several recruiting seasons and we know how this story ends.

TexasDawg
01-28-2014, 11:58 AM
well here is what Paul posted when asked about a realistic finish:

"Stallings (although some are believing now UK may have the edge)
Grant Harris
Trey Carter
Cory Thomas
JT Gray
Player to be named later"

maroonmania
01-28-2014, 11:59 AM

Wow, we actually lost ground on the official visit? We are MState.

Big4Dawg
01-28-2014, 11:59 AM
Paul said there is a surprise, and it isn't Carter. He was naming how we finish and said Stallings, Thomas, Gray, Harris, Carter, and someone else named later. Said it wasn't OJ, and that this player is Elite?

FlabLoser
01-28-2014, 12:03 PM
Let's analyze this carefully. Now, did Paul post a smiley face?

deltadawg99
01-28-2014, 12:04 PM
Did he mention the type of caliber this player is? I hope it's somebody we can get excited about and it's not like a long snapper or something.

I will be highly disappointed if we miss out on Stallings. Hopefully we can hold onto him.

maroonmania
01-28-2014, 12:08 PM
Doesn't it seem weird that we've already had our 2 big recruiting weekends but yet there has been no official movement from any of our primary targets except for Darion Hutcherson? Just kind of a strange January. And I am still VERY pessimistic on Cory Thomas. All indications are that he WILL take his TN visit this weekend.

hacker
01-28-2014, 12:10 PM
I wouldn't look too far into Humphrey's visit being cut short. Everybody in the south was in a panic to get shopping done due to the weather, schools closed, stores closed -- you think they wanted to be stuck in Starkville unable to drive home?

mjh94
01-28-2014, 12:10 PM
"Elite"

Did he mention the type of caliber this player is? I hope it's somebody we can get excited about and it's not like a long snapper or something.

I will be highly disappointed if we miss out on Stallings. Hopefully we can hold onto him.

deltadawg99
01-28-2014, 12:12 PM
I wouldn't look too far into Humphrey's visit being cut short. Everybody in the south was in a panic to get shopping done due to the weather, schools closed, stores closed -- you think they wanted to be stuck in Starkville unable to drive home?

This ^^^^

Although I do hope that Malachi Dupre is able to get out of Oxford ASAP. I don't think they are a major player because he was quoted of saying that he wanted to take all 5 visits no matter what.

Coach34
01-28-2014, 12:13 PM
I said it Sunday and I'll say it again:

If we close with Carter and Thomas then we have a real good signing class. End of story.

Coach34
01-28-2014, 12:14 PM
White Death scares everyone in the South

TUSK
01-28-2014, 12:23 PM

For what is My Dark Lord gonna "start catching heat"? Did I miss somethin?

smootness
01-28-2014, 12:27 PM

Grant Harris
Trey Carter
Cory Thomas
JT Gray

Woah, that would be fantastic. Steve is also saying that we are shaping up to finish really well and has similarly hinted at the other player, though he hasn't said anything about the player's caliber.

It will be very interesting to see how this ends up.

deltadawg99
01-28-2014, 12:28 PM
Could it be this guy?

http://recruiting.scout.com/a.z?s=73&p=8&c=1&nid=7019658

sandwolf
01-28-2014, 12:32 PM

Steve said that it's not Smith. Marcus Griffin maybe?

Coach34
01-28-2014, 12:34 PM

Gus bout to run his ass out of the state. He's already looking for new jobs....:cool:

Big4Dawg
01-28-2014, 12:44 PM
Could it be this guy?

http://recruiting.scout.com/a.z?s=73&p=8&c=1&nid=7019658

He can't get out until next year I think.

This is a guy that hasn't been mentioned by anyone. Griffin has been mentioned.

deltadawg99
01-28-2014, 12:45 PM
I would be thrilled if it's Griffin. I would just be a little surprised since he has never been to Mississippi before.

smootness
01-28-2014, 12:52 PM
It isn't Griffin. That would be akin to Fred Ross, and this apparently isn't.

Saltydog
01-28-2014, 12:59 PM
You finished the year like shit and Malzahn has the momentum...........That's the heat...........

Big4Dawg
01-28-2014, 12:59 PM
I would be thrilled if it's Griffin. I would just be a little surprised since he has never been to Mississippi before.

Griffin is visiting this weekend. I think we have a pretty good shot. He said distance doesn't matter and that he wants to play against the best. He already knows Green from one of the all-american games.

maroonmania
01-28-2014, 01:04 PM
Seems weird that we would be on some elite player that we wouldn't have heard about visiting or that is not in the mix of names that have been bantered about for our last few spots.

mjh94
01-28-2014, 01:13 PM
i think it IS somebody we have heard of, but not expecting a commitment from.

Seems weird that we would be on some elite player that we wouldn't have heard about visiting or that is not in the mix of names that have been bantered about for our last few spots.

TexasDawg
01-28-2014, 01:15 PM
i think it IS somebody we have heard of, but not expecting a commitment from.

That's what Paul was saying

hacker
01-28-2014, 01:15 PM
This is what Paul said.

Yes. And not quite the surprise that Ross was. Before January of last year, nobody even knew MSU was in on Ross.

He's saying Ross is more of a surprise than our mystery commit -- so apparently it's someone we've been recruiting for a while.

mjh94
01-28-2014, 01:17 PM
automatically, I think of Marlon Humphrey.. that's the only one I know of that fits that criteria. but damn, i can't wrap my head around that. the only other would be Tee Shepard and he's already in California in school for next year. whoever it is, "elite" certainly sounds good to me.

That's what Paul was saying

TexasDawg
01-28-2014, 01:17 PM
Three names that come to mind
1. Marlon Humphrey
2. Tee Sheppard
3. Emmanuel Smith (Vandy commit we recently offered)

Todd4State
01-28-2014, 01:24 PM
My guess is it's probably Markell Boston or Bailey Granier.

Coach34
01-28-2014, 01:27 PM
My guess is it's probably Markell Boston or Bailey Granier.

neither one of those guys are close to Elite...good players, but not elite

thunderclap
01-28-2014, 01:28 PM
J.J. Grant?

AlSwearengen
01-28-2014, 01:28 PM

I should have emphasized the word "could". Breaking in a new QB is always a scary proposition in the SEC, regardless of his supporting cast. Two or three losses and bama fans grumble, warranted or not.

Raytoraid83
01-28-2014, 01:32 PM
Three names that come to mind
1. Marlon Humphrey
2. Tee Sheppard
3. Emmanuel Smith (Vandy commit we recently offered)

The name of the player is on this list.

BankerDog
01-28-2014, 01:35 PM
I'm just throwing a wild card out here. But what would the reaction be if it was Bo Scarbrough? Talk about Saban flipping out.

mjh94
01-28-2014, 01:38 PM
i agree

The name of the player is on this list.

hailmari
01-28-2014, 01:40 PM
I'm sure he isn't the player in question, but Granier would be a nice get.. Fills in for Rawlings just fine.

hacker
01-28-2014, 01:45 PM
so it's Tee Shepard? that seems to be the only one that fits...

hacker
01-28-2014, 01:45 PM
http://media.247sports.com/Uploads/Assets/493/243/1243493.jpg

hacker
01-28-2014, 01:46 PM
this is great news.

NCDawg
01-28-2014, 01:48 PM

Some of us old timers were highly disappointed when we missed out on his brother (who was on the C.L." top ten" list.) We had been led to believe he was going to sign with State before he committed to Ole Miss right before signing date.

SDDawg
01-28-2014, 01:48 PM
A quick note on Stallings- most project him as a MSU lean even though it's still competitive with Kentucky. Should be expected because we were on him late but given our depth chart and our trajectory I think our situation looks much better for him than UK, I think our chances are great.

Exciting to hear that there may be a true "rabbit" (now have heard 3 sources reference this) and excited to see where that goes.

Bully13
01-28-2014, 01:53 PM
Sheppard has been high on us for a while....vandy dude has a date set with the confeds but not us....hmmmm

deltadawg99
01-28-2014, 02:09 PM
has tee's tweet been deleted? i didn't see it on his timeline

dogshiek
01-28-2014, 02:16 PM
****Speaking as someone who has E.D., my heart isn't strong enough for recruiting.*****

preachermatt83
01-28-2014, 02:16 PM
MH

01-28-2014, 02:18 PM
has tee's tweet been deleted? i didn't see it on his timeline

http://instagram.com/p/jmNWGVImty/

TUSK
01-28-2014, 02:20 PM
I should have emphasized the word "could". Breaking in a new QB is always a scary proposition in the SEC, regardless of his supporting cast. Two or three losses and bama fans grumble, warranted or not.

With 3 losses, I agree.

TUSK
01-28-2014, 02:23 PM
You finished the year like shit and Malzahn has the momentum...........That's the heat...........

Yes. Yes. Arguably. No.

mjh94
01-28-2014, 02:25 PM
he was bumped to "warmer" on 247, not sure when though.

http://instagram.com/p/jmNWGVImty/

RichardHarrow
01-28-2014, 02:33 PM
Regarding Emmanuel Smith,
After James Franklin (which Emmanuel committed to almost a year ago) left, the class fell apart. Now Vandy has only 10 commits, and 4 of them(like Emmanuel) are safetys, 40% of their 2014 class. I can see him looking for greener pastures.

deltadawg99
01-28-2014, 02:49 PM
It is going to be really interesting to see what the pecking order is for these final spots.

It looks like we have 3 or 4 spots left with a few of our top targets on the board.

mic
01-28-2014, 02:55 PM
Maybe its a 2015.. Did PJ say it was class of 2014.??

dickiedawg
01-28-2014, 03:00 PM
He did. He was asked to predict a finish, and included "unnamed player"

ShotgunDawg
01-28-2014, 03:04 PM
Maybe its a 2015.. Did PJ say it was class of 2014.??

I think it is Humphrey, I haven't quite wrapped my mind around it either, but look at the evidence.

1. Humphrey takes a quick mid week visit to keep speculation down.

2. News of the rabbit starts to break near the same time he would've left campus.

3. Not announcing till signing day. What better way to announce a decision that will be looked poorly upon in his local area?

4. MSU sites were probably told of the news so that could accurately relay information about numbers and such, but were asked and told not to release the information due to local pressure.

5. Why would Tee Shepherd, Carter, or Smith's commitments be kept quite? There is only one guy that we are recruiting that fills in all the boxes of a "rabbit" and that is Humphrey.

I think it would be much easier to put the puzzle pieced together if MSU didn't have an inferiority complex about their program and recruiting.

The only other scenario that makes sense is if we are flipping one of OM's top recruits.

Also, why have there been no recruiting site interviews about Humphrey's MSU visit? hmmmm

CadaverDawg
01-28-2014, 03:17 PM
It's Tee Shep

Something about a guy named Don M erlinz pulling rabbits out of hats makes this funny to me.**

HancockCountyDog
01-28-2014, 03:17 PM
Is any legitimate source actually predicting Stallings to UK over us? I can't imagine that this is actually happening.

Dawg61
01-28-2014, 03:35 PM
If it's Marlon we need to also be all over Dupre. I mean if we're going to hit a homerun we might as well hit a grand slam. Dupre, Bear and Lewis for Dak to throw to would be so fun to watch.

dickiedawg
01-28-2014, 03:35 PM
Also, why have there been no recruiting site interviews about Humphrey's MSU visit? hmmmm

Paul and Steve both said before the visit was over they would try to interview him but he is notoriously tight-lipped and doesn't grant many.

Paul said this morning he felt like we still trailed and didn't insinuate that it was close, and I doubt he would deliberately be misleading if he did indeed know different.

scottycameron
01-28-2014, 03:46 PM
The other thread about Tee says he isn't eligible this year but will be next year (15). So it's definitely not Tee, right?

I edited to change the year from 14 to 15 - shit I can't believe its 14 now. Geez. I bet I been signing checks wrong for a month now.

mjh94
01-28-2014, 03:52 PM
in Paul's defense (or our justification of maintaining hope), the last time he said that was last night. this "elite" news came out this morning.

Paul and Steve both said before the visit was over they would try to interview him but he is notoriously tight-lipped and doesn't grant many.

Paul said this morning he felt like we still trailed and didn't insinuate that it was close, and I doubt he would deliberately be misleading if he did indeed know different.

ShotgunDawg
01-28-2014, 03:59 PM

You could certainly be right, but he could be purposefully misleading us for the overall good of MSU. After all, since there hasn't been a Humphrey interview in a month or so, Paul could be just relaying the latest public information.

I am not sure why this information would be kept quiet unless it was Marlon or a current OM commitment.

I'm deducting this through the evidence, not preconceived notions, interviews that from months ago, etc, and the evidence leads me to believe that it's either Marlon or a current elite OM commitment, meaning Speaks or Taylor since they are the only elite commits that they have. There would simply be no other reason to keep things quiet for any other players.

scottycameron
01-28-2014, 04:04 PM
You could certainly be right, but he could be purposefully misleading us for the overall good of MSU. After all, since there hasn't been a Humphrey interview in a month or so, Paul could be just relaying the latest public information.

I am not sure why this information would be kept quiet unless it was Marlon or a current OM commitment.

I'm deducting this through the evidence, not preconceived notions, interviews that from months ago, etc, and the evidence leads me to believe that it's either Marlon or a current elite OM commitment, meaning Speaks or Taylor since they are the only elite commits that they have. There would simply be no other reason to keep things quiet for any other players.

What possible OM commits? (Epps? Hampton?) Any good possibles you have in mind?

mjh94
01-28-2014, 04:06 PM
wouldn't we be done at TE with Hutcherson, though?

CadaverDawg
01-28-2014, 04:07 PM

What do you mean? Why does any recruit keep his decision quiet until an "announcement"? ATTENTION.

You are reading WAY too deep I'm afraid. Just because Tee Shepherd or somebody like that isn't a 5 star that would be a huge shocker, doesn't mean they don't want the attention of a signing day announcement.

I just don't think you can take anything from the fact that it's being kept quiet. Recruits do this all the time.

ShotgunDawg
01-28-2014, 04:09 PM
What do you mean? Why does any recruit keep his decision quiet until an "announcement"? ATTENTION.

You are reading WAY too deep I'm afraid. Just because Tee Shepherd or somebody like that isn't a 5 star that would be a huge shocker, doesn't mean they don't want the attention of a signing day announcement.

I just don't think you can take anything from the fact that it's being kept quiet. Recruits do this all the time.

Can't argue with that. You could certainly be right.

hacker
01-28-2014, 06:42 PM
From all of the evidence presented, it's Tee Shepard.

Bully13
01-28-2014, 07:02 PM
Someone whose been high on us for a long time who might have to stay another yr in juco? This is something excitingly unexpected?

EAVdog
01-28-2014, 07:26 PM
Could be Sims, he'd be a surprise since we got him on a last minute visit. But he really liked it in Starkville. Certainly would want to keep it on the hush hush since OM thinks they have him wrapped up.

smootness
01-28-2014, 07:51 PM
Sims isn't elite, though. I would be somewhat excited and somewhat disappointed if it was Shepard at this point.