PDA

View Full Version : Quay/Nick

msstate7
01-28-2014, 07:45 AM
How are these 2 doing? Really hope 1 steps forward and mans the dt beside jones.

Coach34
01-28-2014, 08:18 AM
Quay is done

James is really coming on and doing well

Drugdog
01-28-2014, 08:43 AM
Done as in off the team?

MitchD24
01-28-2014, 08:47 AM
Quay is still in class but off the team

smootness
01-28-2014, 08:56 AM
As far as I understand, Quay is currently off the team. There is always the chance, since he is still in school, that he could recommit himself and perhaps get himself back on the team, but I doubt that day comes.

Willn1
01-28-2014, 09:01 AM
I think Quay has made the decision to get a degree and work for a living like I do instead of making millions playing a sport he is naturally gifted at. No dishonor there. He'll also have the opportunity to dream of what could have been while telling the story of how great he was I high school.

Nick James has decided to make a run at living the life of a NFL player....fame, women, and money. The chance to make millions before he turns 30 and not working the rest of his life seems to motivate him.

Life is about choices and living with the consequences of those choices.

quickstrike2
01-28-2014, 09:10 AM
I just don't get Quay. I have not expected a thing out of him for quite a while and wrote him off before this season. I just don't get with natural talent like he has been given, how hard it could be to go to practice, listen to a coach every now and then, then go play football on the same line as Chris Jones. Unless there is something that I don't know about it seems pretty straight forward.

FlabLoser
01-28-2014, 09:25 AM
Grinding under a SEC strength coach is damn, damn hard. You've got to want it bad. Being gifted with talent has nothing to do with wanting it bad.

Crystal Balls
01-28-2014, 09:29 AM
The fact Quay has remained in school is a good thing. Hope he turns it around and hits the field again.

quickstrike2, That avatar is badass. Moulds was a super freak!

quickstrike2
01-28-2014, 09:33 AM
No doubt its hard. If the opportunity to play for millions one day doesn't entice you to want it bad enough, then nothing will.

Original48
01-28-2014, 09:39 AM
Quay is done

James is really coming on and doing well
If we were gonna go 1 for 2 with these guys I actually would have expected the other way around. But good for Nick. And from what was reported in the other posts it's encouraging that Quay is at least in school.

starkvegasdawg
01-28-2014, 09:42 AM
[QUOTE=Willn1;124581]I think Quay has made the decision to get a degree and work for a living like I do instead of making millions playing a sport he is naturally gifted at. No dishonor there. He'll also have the opportunity to dream of what could have been while telling the story of how great he was I high school.
QUOTE]

So Quay is our Al Bundy?

fourtouchdownsinasinglegameku

AlSwearengen
01-28-2014, 10:28 AM
Having played juco baseball (yes juco, don't laugh), that was more work than I wanted to put in for the return. It was like work, but with no money in my pocket. I didn't come back for the second year b/c it was zero fun. I probably could have gone and played at some small div. 6 school, but it wasn't worth it to me.

Now, if I were a Brandon Woodruff or some other first round talent, it may have been more fun and tolerable.

mic
01-28-2014, 10:56 AM
odds are Quay will be at SWAC school or somewhere next year where he can play next year without having to sit a year out.
He is prob pretty close to graduating. been in school for 2.5 years at the end of spring semester.. that's not counting summer school.

Barking 13
01-28-2014, 11:02 AM
can we finally start separating these two? please? This ain't Laurel and Hardy, Penn & Teller, peanut butter & jelly..... ****

Political Hack
01-28-2014, 11:25 AM
Turner was going to make them or break them. It's as simple as that. they would've co-existed under Wilson, but they would never have thrived. Getting a 100% from one of them is better than 50% from both of them.

Political Hack
01-28-2014, 11:26 AM
Turner was going to make them or break them. It's as simple as that. they would've co-existed under Wilson, but they would never have thrived. Getting a 100% from one of them is better than 50% from both of them.

Quay James will forever be united!!! I agree it's ridiculous, but the comparison has been there since high school. James is bound and determined to be the best DT in the land.

mic
01-28-2014, 11:49 AM

I agree.. Nick could be a monster for us

Goat Holder
01-28-2014, 12:39 PM
OK, let's cut the sh*t here. "Grinding under a SEC strength coach is damn, damn hard." Give me a break. Thousands of kids do it every year. They are getting their education paid for by playing a sport. And this sport actually keeps them in shape. They also get fed. That sh*t is NOT hard. Going out and making a living in the workforce is what's hard. They are LUCKY to be in the position they are in because of their talent. I could work my ass off every day when I was 18 but I wasn't getting the opportunity Quay Evans was.

I feel ZERO remorse for a sh*tball who throws away that opportunity. NONE. It's ridiculous for anybody to cut them ANY slack at all.

I know a bunch of guys who walked on and did all that hard "grindin' under an SEC strength coach" for free.

hacker
01-28-2014, 12:43 PM
Hey guys I heard we had this recruit named Quay James and he was a monster

TexasDawg
01-28-2014, 12:54 PM
Just saw Nick James on campus, and I must say he looks like he's in terrific shape

Coach34
01-28-2014, 12:59 PM
Just saw Nick James on campus, and I must say he looks like he's in terrific shape

coaching buddy told me the staff is extremely optimistic about him heading into the Spring

FlabLoser
01-28-2014, 01:07 PM
OK, let's cut the sh*t here. "Grinding under a SEC strength coach is damn, damn hard." Give me a break. Thousands of kids do it every year. They are getting their education paid for by playing a sport. And this sport actually keeps them in shape. They also get fed. That sh*t is NOT hard. Going out and making a living in the workforce is what's hard. They are LUCKY to be in the position they are in because of their talent. I could work my ass off every day when I was 18 but I wasn't getting the opportunity Quay Evans was.

I feel ZERO remorse for a sh*tball who throws away that opportunity. NONE. It's ridiculous for anybody to cut them ANY slack at all.

I know a bunch of guys who walked on and did all that hard "grindin' under an SEC strength coach" for free.

Your argument is that a lot of guys can do it? You like numbers? Far more people can't than can.

"That shit is NOT HARD"? Really? Why aren't dominant athletes beating down the doors to get in here and grind for dear ole state?

TexasDawg
01-28-2014, 01:12 PM
coaching buddy told me the staff is extremely optimistic about him heading into the Spring

Great news, really glad he got on the right track. He could be an absolute force

Bullmutt
01-28-2014, 01:34 PM
I have to agree with Goat on this one. It's hard work, yes, but when the rewards are considered, it's much less a sacrifice than what the majority of people make for a much, much smaller return. The reason dominant athletes aren't all beating the doors down to grind for dear old State is because there are so many other institutions beating their doors down to come and play for them instead. These kids have a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity andf it's up to them to take advantage of it. Problem is, they're 18 years old and using half their brains in matters that call for reason. Too many of us do at that age. Maturity for so many of us doesn't arrive until age 30 (and I put myself in that category). By then, your working a job that you may or may not like with a couple of kids and a mortgage and reflecting back on how you screwed up not taking advantage of your opportunities.

BankerDog
01-28-2014, 01:40 PM
I've been around a lot of the Dlinemen in the past few months. One of them told me no one knows what is wrong with Quay. He doesn't know what he wants to do and that it wouldn't surprise him to see Quay kicked off the team. I withheld that information until I heard something else. I have seen Quay on campus so there is that.

On Nick. He was in class everyday. He looks really really good. All the football camps we went together and this is probably the best shape he has been in a long time. If he can get some to get into his head and the light comes on; no one will stop him. I've seen what he can do when he has been called out and it is ridiculous. The guy is NFL bound if he can stay on course.

Goat Holder
01-28-2014, 01:52 PM
Far more people can't than can.

Only because they don't have the necessary talent. Plenty of people have the will to work. Especially when the payoff is an education/great body at worst and at best NFL fortune and fame.

"That shit is NOT HARD"? Really? Why aren't dominant athletes beating down the doors to get in here and grind for dear ole state?

This has absolutely nothing to do with your point, and very much hurts you. Dominant athletes are not turning MSU down due to the strength program. They are turning us down to go to Alabama/LSU/Florida/etc., where they'll work just as hard. And for that matter, dominant athletes ARE beating down the door to get into MSU. About 5% of available HS football players get D1 scholarships, and seeing as to how we're about the 40th best program in the nation, roughly less than half of those guys to other schools that are seen as 'above' MSU, like Bama/LSU/etc. The other NINETY-SEVEN AND A HALF PERCENT, would absolutely LOVE to play for us or anybody else beneath us. That doesn't even account for the rest that aren't even HS football players.

I had to try REAL freaking hard to not call you a moron in this post.

dogshiek
01-28-2014, 02:21 PM
Nick is going to grind for Our State. I've never seen a big man with his quickness.

NorCalDawg
01-28-2014, 04:11 PM
can we finally start separating these two? please? This ain't Laurel and Hardy, Penn & Teller, peanut butter & jelly..... ****

Quay James = ying yang**

Glad to hear that at least one of them is coming around. If James turns out as good as advertised our DL will be BADASS!!!

#wooly

msstate7
01-28-2014, 04:55 PM
I've been around a lot of the Dlinemen in the past few months. One of them told me no one knows what is wrong with Quay. He doesn't know what he wants to do and that it wouldn't surprise him to see Quay kicked off the team. I withheld that information until I heard something else. I have seen Quay on campus so there is that.

On Nick. He was in class everyday. He looks really really good. All the football camps we went together and this is probably the best shape he has been in a long time. If he can get some to get into his head and the light comes on; no one will stop him. I've seen what he can do when he has been called out and it is ridiculous. The guy is NFL bound if he can stay on course.

Just think if nick shows that drive this fall with Chris jones beside him. You can't double them both. Our defense can go from really good to all time good if nick comes to play

state66
01-28-2014, 05:25 PM
Ha I would love to see you try and go through their constant torture of balancing hard workouts and school. These guys are working out at 5 am attending class after then study halls then during fall they have practice in afternoon then dinner hit the sack and do it all over again every F'in day. our strength and conditioning coach would make you look like a girl after hearing what bumphis would tell me about balis everyday in class. Its literally a relentless grind everyday and if your lazy like quay was your not going to make it.

FlabLoser
01-28-2014, 05:40 PM
Dominant athletes are not turning MSU down due to the strength program. They are turning us down to go to Alabama/LSU/Florida/etc., where they'll work just as hard. And for that matter, dominant athletes ARE beating down the door to get into MSU.

OK. Good to know dominant athletes are both turning us down and not. Good to know we've got a roster chock full of dominant athletes.

Let the domination begin!

Goat Holder
01-28-2014, 05:54 PM
Sorry, but you flat out lost this one. No amount of twisting words and deflecting is going to change that.

ETA: Ha! Further proven with my new description. That's when you know you won, thanks for the confirmation.

Goat Holder
01-28-2014, 05:58 PM
if your lazy like quay was your not going to make it.

Sounds like Quay is the outlier to me. You're not making your point any better. Many more players enter the program and finish it, than enter and quit. Just sayin'.

Schultzy
01-28-2014, 06:33 PM
If you don't enjoy playing football anymore it's even harder. Maybe it's as simple as that.

hacker
01-28-2014, 06:44 PM
quit jerking yourself off goat, who ****ing cares

Goat Holder
01-28-2014, 07:09 PM
In that case, you quit. You don't just hang around and inflict everybody else with your attitude all the while mooching off the university. Go home or pay for your education yourself.

smootness
01-28-2014, 08:10 PM

The heck is this? Nobody was cutting Quay any slack. They said he didn't want it badly enough. If you don't want to play football, then yes, going through that much work to play is hard. The reason so many are able to do it is because they want it. They want to play football badly.

Quay Evans evidently doesn't love football enough to go through the work it takes. Can we not just leave it at that? Nobody claimed to feel any remorse for him. Some don't get how he could throw the opportunity away, but that's because they would want it.

The fact that he doesn't want to play football doesn't make him a 's---ball'.

quickstrike2
01-28-2014, 08:58 PM
There is only a small percentage of people that have the physical measurables to play college football. So you can't compare population as a whole in the theory that there is that many that can't finish football under a SEC stength coach. There is more that start college football and finish than there is than says screw it. I fully agree that it's a job and it sucks and you have to want it to get thru it.

In Quay situation, he is just going to stand out more. He was highly recruited and has all the tools be be an elite player, but must just absolutely not want to do the work. And that's fine, just move on to whatever it is he wants to so in life.

hells bells
01-28-2014, 10:42 PM
There is only a small percentage of people that have the physical measurables to play college football. So you can't compare population as a whole in the theory that there is that many that can't finish football under a SEC stength coach. There is more that start college football and finish than there is than says screw it. I fully agree that it's a job and it sucks and you have to want it to get thru it.

In Quay situation, he is just going to stand out more. He was highly recruited and has all the tools be be an elite player, but must just absolutely not want to do the work. And that's fine, just move on to whatever it is he wants to so in life.

From what I have been told from Morton, MS folks Quay is a fine man. During high school football he called the shots. Practiced when he wanted to, played the same. When he decided to play it was simply awesome. Witnessed it myself during a high school game he played in. He is smart, values the education he can receive. I still do not think Quay understands his talent ceiling regardless of $millions but patential. I hope one of our elders from the past have that conversation that could make the difference. If not, Quay is a good guy.

Todd4State
01-28-2014, 10:59 PM
Honestly, I can't believe anyone would think that being a SEC football player is easy. The discipline it takes to get up at 5 AM and then do all of the conditioning drills, weight lifting, THEN go to class, and then go back for meetings/practice into the evening and then to have to do it all over again the next day. It has to be a grind.

Goat Holder
01-28-2014, 11:10 PM
What kind of lives do you people live?